Skip to content

The Enemy Within, a New Mod Coming! [Work in progress]

Comments

• ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    edited March 2016
    I wrote a short new description of the mod (see the first page). :smile: Also added all (or did I? :wink:) the interior areas of Cragmyr Keep to the pictures :smile:
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    You did an excellent job on these maps. They look very detailled and stay true to the artstyle / mapstyle of Baldurs Gate. I am always worried about ugly and bland (no details, just some land + brush tool) maps when it comes to mods which add a ton of new areas to explore. It's also nice to see that you're trying to keep the amount of new spells and magic items to a minimum, which is a big plus for a "Big Mod".

Any information about the combat difficulty and how much NPC reaction there will be in the mod?
    ZansoGrammarsalad
    edited March 2016
    Thanks @AKrugBier :smile: Yeah I tried to keep the original feeling of the environment of the Sword Coast. I then just added unique new building models to the areas to make them stand out from the old ones :smile: I feel the areas are much easier to approach when you actually can't easily differentiate them from the original Baldur's Gate areas :smiley: That of course might just be me :blush:

Even in PnP I have been known to be stingy with magic items :smiley: but when I do give out magic items, they are usually unique in some way :smile:

I feel there are already enough spell mods (or so many of them at least, if not enough). There are a few new spells but most of them are linked to items or to the story. Speak with Dead is little bit like the spell from IWD, Contact other Plane, except its with dead :smiley:

NPC reaction is still being made so I cannot comment very much on that yet, but the idea is that there will be even very severe NPC reactions (like the one with Jaheira and Khalid becoming hostile). I will try to add NPC reactions to conversations (in a spirit of BG1NPC mod), but adding all that stuff will take some time.

I try to make the mod so that there are always at least the "good" and the "evil" way to do the quests. I also try to add as much as possible "neutral" ways to do quests. And each one (good/evil/neutral) will have different rewards, so you can never get them all :smile: I want to reward people for being bad or neutral too :smiley:

The combat difficulty will be quite hard (most of the difficult and important fights have modified Black Pits 2 scripts on the NPCs). However, as it is with Black Pits, if you put your difficulty setting to Easy, the fights will get considerably easier. Also many of the fights, if they turn out to be too difficult, can be skipped instead.
    Will there be a good reason for my party to do the questline, respectively how and when do we get to know about Cragmyr Village in the game? Asking because of RP reasons, since I find it hard to come up with a reason to do the questline after the beginning of chapter 6.
    edited March 2016
    Check out the map @AKrugBier :smile:

http://www.forgottenadventures.com/FRMaps/Baldur's Gate West Area.htm

It is very hard to avoid it when going to Nahskel at the beginning of the game :smiley: It will be situated in the middle between Beregost and Nashkel. You don't have to visit it, but it will appear on the map. For example you can travel straight from AR3800 to AR4300 :smile: All the new areas will be free to go and leave as you please, so you don't have to do the questline completely at one go, if you don't want to.

First part of the questline you can do at any point, the second part you can do as long you have access to Baldur's Gate city :smile:
    Nice!
    Zanso
    @AKrugBier
    Also added a worldmap picture to the Spoilers :smile: The one on the right from Cragmyr Keep is the village (as seen on the next picture) :smile:
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    Wow, good job. Really looking forward to this :)
    ZansoMiridor
  • mungomunkmungomunk Member Posts: 63
    This looks truly amazing.
    Zansoelminster
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Bookmarked!
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Oh wow, had forgot about this thread. Your post made it up in my participated list. Oh god I wish this mod was released so I can play it, but it seems to have been inactive for a long time. @Zanso, are you still alive and kicking?
    AerakarMiridor
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    This will never be released, don't hold your expectations up
    Arthas said:

This will never be released, don't hold your expectations up

Please explain.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    @Zanso - by broken areas you mean visible black grid? If yes, just download updated Near Infinity, find your .tis files and export them as pvrz-based tis. Those should be used with EE. It should solve all problems with your tilsets :)

It may be a good idea to just find some help. Especially if you're still around. It's really discouraging when authors/co-authors disappear. But since you are still around... BTW, by "areas mostly done" you also mean coded?
    AedanVasculio
    @LavaDelVortel Thanks! I'll try it out. Seems to be a quite slow progress with so many areas :D By mostly done, I mean some critters,spawn points and containers are to be added, and the main and side quest stuff from the areas are ofc still lacking. The areas are otherwise fully done: all mapping (height, walk, light), all overlay polygons in place, door animations (and interiors with travel), weather (rain, day/night etc.), travel to other areas (worldmap). Actually not sure what you mean by "coded"? :D Could you specify?
    LavaDelVortelOxva
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    I was asking about search regions, light regions, walls, entrances, travel regions etc, so yeah... you kinda answered my question :)
    Zanso
    edited January 2018
    Since the mod is never going to be completed by me, so I post here to see (again) if they are interested in finishing it and continue working on it. I will most likely only be available for info and some minor map works (already mostly done) and information. Send me a message, and I can add you to the message group if you got interested in modding this mod, The Enemy Within.

Credits:
    Main Author(s): Zanso

Huge Thanks:
    @WhiteAgnus
    @LavaDelVortel
    @markzaku (upcoming)
    Everyone here on Beamdog Forums!

Send me a message if you have any questions or want to "test drive" and get involved with the mod! :) Since the mod is not ready, there is no point "test driving" if you have no interest in modding it :)

Involved now:
    LavaDelVortel
    markzaku
    Post edited by Zanso on
    StummvonBordwehrAedan
    I will try to help as much as I can, but sadly it has been like two years since I was actively creating the mod, so I can't remember much of it all. I can't give any promises how much I can actually be involved, but I promise to answer every single message sent to me, one way or another.
    SkatanVasculio
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    What are the problems with the project so far? What work needs to be done? Also what techniques were used to build the maps, they are incredible!
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Good news!
    Aedan
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Cant wait too!
    Grammarsalad
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Holy crappamoses Batman! this is great news indeed! It almost make me wish summer was over soon ;)
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited July 2018
    Well if it is any consultation I have worked on many high quality Baldur's Gate items and there are a bunch that can go in any mod; with any luck there can be a collaboration of sorts perhaps and there could be some unique new high quality items made as well for the module. Here is a link to a rough portfolio of sorts: https://www.deviantart.com/withinamnesia/gallery/51118284/Baldur-s-Gate-Path-of-the-Lost-Odyssey

^ 14 hp and 17 hp health potions respectively.

^ Field Plate Armour (Armour Class 2)

Also I am currently entrenched in creating a proper Baldur's Gate Arms and Armour emporium (in the trade district): https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71447/baldurs-gate-arms-and-armour-emporium/p1

These are the crappy (very rough) work in progress versions:

Downstairs.

Upstairs.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I wouldn't mind joining the team for this project if help is still needed. Done mods before and can contribute quests, dialogue, items, etc.
    GrammarsaladVasculioMiridor
  • MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90
    Did you join this in some capacity @WarChiefZeke or do you know if the project is caught up in permanent production hell? :-)