Skip to content

Suggestions Thread: Miscellaneous (Minor uncategorized tweaks and changes)

Comments

• ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402

However the alphabetical ordering of spells across spell levels doesn't make sense at all, given the GUI splits different spell levels by different panels, so I still believe the request was about ordering them inside each panel/level

of course, yes it was about that but old nwn vets will still dislike it and will request making that optional...
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    Kymus said:

Some suggestions that haven't been mentioned that I feel would help add to the roleplay:

Suggestion: A little notification above a character that they're typing

Reasoning: Let's face it, we've all had one of those scenarios where you start typing something out to someone and then they walk away because in NWN no one knows what you're doing when you're standing there. Maybe you're typing, maybe you're AFK, maybe you're looking at your inventory, and maybe you're doing nothing. It'd be nice to see that someone is typing something up just so I know what they're doing while I'm standing there (or so that I don't type up a long string only to have them walk away and out the door).

Yes a "dot, dot, dot...dot, dot, dot" animation in a speech bubble above the head to indocate the char is typing or thinking about what they're about to say, as it were, in roleplay terms would be useful.

ricoyungGM_ODAdijicaek
  • icelandiaicelandia Member Posts: 16
    Suggestion 1: FIX THE DAMN DARKNESS BUG, AAAAAAAAAAH.
    This bug has been present for as long as I've been playing NWN, no matter the server: if you cast Ultravision while you are affected by the Darkness spell, you will render yourself permanently blind without Ultravision. The only solution that is known for this is relogging.
    it astonishes me that nobody has mentioned this yet.

Suggestion 2: Fix the copy-paste of text and the macro input box to allow characters as it did before the EE. This was an extremely useful tool to have to write long descriptions, or any text of the sort, as the functionality of the macro text box allowed you to input massive piles of structured text without compromising the format, and saving you a looooot of copy-pasting time. This worked in tandem using notepad++ to write the original text in.
    The EE, for some reason, broke this.

Thank you.
    ProontRifleLeroy
  • ricoyungricoyung Member Posts: 83

Shadooow said:

You surely don't know nwn1 (bitter)vets, do you? >:)

Apparently not as well as you.

However the alphabetical ordering of spells across spell levels doesn't make sense at all, given the GUI splits different spell levels by different panels, so I still believe the request was about ordering them inside each panel/level
    If they are inside of the panel/level, I think it should be no problem for a (bitter) or (otherwise) vet to see it as making more sense once they try it, at least this (otherwise) vet thinks so :P
    *just don't tell anyone of the change, they won't notice...seriously, would I lie?

LaputianBird
  • LaputianBirdLaputianBird Member Posts: 107
    ricoyung said:

If they are inside of the panel/level, I think it should be no problem for a (bitter) or (otherwise) vet to see it as making more sense once they try it, at least this (otherwise) vet thinks so :P

That's pretty much my point, yes.
    edited March 2020
    Match451 said:

The original NWN campaign has waaaay too many locked chests. It's such an annoying grind to open all the locked chests in so many areas. They really ought to reduce the number. In fact, there are just too many containers in general with too little reward, but reducing the number and increasing the value of randomly generated rewards for the remainder might be too much of a change for some.

I sympathise, yet you can always bash them or pick the lock.

There has to be a balance in locked/unlocked containers. NWN (OC in partic) always seemed to me to be a bit queer: never in any AD&D/D&D scenario, pencil & paper or PC version have I encountered a town or city like Neverwinter, where the entire citizenry is happy to leave their life savings and valuables scattered around randomly IN THE OPEN STREETS in myriad tea chests, crates and unlocked or cash boxes & trunks!

:-D

Don't these people use Banks? :-)

But back to the locked/unlocked balance, one would expect more locked boxes in important houses and businesses, right?

I've always found NWN OC overall with the exception of later modules to suffer the slight 4th wall effect of being a Monty Hall.

A bit of imagination here in the D&D world...

Remind me of D&D rules somebody, but does 5th Edn have encumbrance finally for coins? A character can carry 5000 GP and not have encumbrance? Or...

I assume, to do let's pretend...that would be in different denominations, so encumbrance isn't an issue? There might even be banknotes, but it's just rolled into the concept in general of GP...

The Bank of Scotland eg has £100 notes.

Post edited by Xorina on
    edited May 2018
    A skip starting ident films checkbox would be useful

I find x1 standard base scaling too small for my screen but x2 too big and crude pixel-ly. Scaling in one quarter 25% increments would be better.
    dTd
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Weighted coins aren't anything new. D&D 3.5 which NWN is based on clearly states that 50 coins equal 1 pound in weight. The encumbrance limit is also much lower than NWN until past 50 str, so the "normal" strategy is to dump your backpack during a fight. This has the consequence that the items in your backpack make their saves as unattended objects.

Gems are supposed to be popular among adventurers because they have more value for their weight.

Regardless of the rules many games in practice are simplified to reduce the book keeping, number crunching, and rules lookup time. NWN and other games are simplified on the other hand to reduce the amount of development time and to offer a faster paced more streamlined player experience.
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    Don't know where else this would go, but would it be possible to add the ability to drag usable feats (IE Knockdown) from your character sheet's Feat page down to the bottom bar, like in NWN2? Yesterday I set to work on a custom race with spell-like abilities as their primary focus, and in my haste it didn't occur to me that it'd be impossible to find the feats I made in the radial menu, making it impossible to add them to your hotbar or otherwise use them at all. I think I'll have to resort to using items for widgets for now, so unless someone else has another way to set them on the hotbar I'd like it if my efforts weren't totally wasted for the future.
    dTdProont
    If you add the feat entry to each class's feat list they will be accessible once the character has the feat. I would say it has more to do with how complicated it is to add active feats to NWN.
    DerpCityJuliusBorisovProont
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    @FreshLemonBun That worked, thanks!
    Yep, it just isn't ideal because you have to add it to every base class unless you have racial hd.
    DerpCity
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    icelandia said:

Suggestion 1: FIX THE DAMN DARKNESS BUG, AAAAAAAAAAH.
    This bug has been present for as long as I've been playing NWN, no matter the server: if you cast Ultravision while you are affected by the Darkness spell, you will render yourself permanently blind without Ultravision. The only solution that is known for this is relogging.
    it astonishes me that nobody has mentioned this yet.

Suggestion 2: Fix the copy-paste of text and the macro input box to allow characters as it did before the EE. This was an extremely useful tool to have to write long descriptions, or any text of the sort, as the functionality of the macro text box allowed you to input massive piles of structured text without compromising the format, and saving you a looooot of copy-pasting time. This worked in tandem using notepad++ to write the original text in.
    The EE, for some reason, broke this.

Thank you.

@icelandia If you think the behavior is buggy, please report it on our bug tracker.
    icelandia
  • OliveranOliveran Member Posts: 2
    I wonder, if there's any way to alt-tab while keeping the game unpaused. The only thing keeping me, personally, from playing on this version instead of the non-EE version, is that I can't tab out while being unpaused.

I play in windowed mode, and do stuff on my other screens, and not being able to alt-tab while being in some easy fight against Goblins, or resting, or running far distances, keeps me away.

I'd perhaps suggestion adding a value for keeping the game unpaused when losing focus? It's a huuuuuge quality of life change, at least for my friends who play the original game, and me.
    DerpCity
    Oliveran said:

I wonder, if there's any way to alt-tab while keeping the game unpaused. The only thing keeping me, personally, from playing on this version instead of the non-EE version, is that I can't tab out while being unpaused.

I play in windowed mode, and do stuff on my other screens, and not being able to alt-tab while being in some easy fight against Goblins, or resting, or running far distances, keeps me away.

I'd perhaps suggestion adding a value for keeping the game unpaused when losing focus? It's a huuuuuge quality of life change, at least for my friends who play the original game, and me.

this isn't possible in 1.69 version either, actually nwn:ee in betatest made game unpaused by alt-tabbing but it was changed to impose same behavior with vanilla nwn in order not to angry bittervets
  • OliveranOliveran Member Posts: 2
    Shadooow said:

Oliveran said:

question

this isn't possible in 1.69 version either, actually nwn:ee in betatest made game unpaused by alt-tabbing but it was changed to impose same behavior with vanilla nwn in order not to angry bittervets
    It works for me, to alt-tab in windowed mode in 1.69, in the vanilla NWN. Not in fullscreen, ofc, but in windowed mode.

Not to PRESS outside the window with my mouse, that pauses it. But by using the alt-tab specifically, it works.

So for me, it's a big loss to not being able to alt-tab and let the game continue, enough because I usually play around in OC / Aielund with character builds, and don't stay 100% focused on gameplay, at any point, whilst still enjoying it thoroughly.
    Oliveran said:

It works for me, to alt-tab in windowed mode in 1.69, in the vanilla NWN. Not in fullscreen, ofc, but in windowed mode.

Not to PRESS outside the window with my mouse, that pauses it. But by using the alt-tab specifically, it works.

then report it on tracker as bug...
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Oliveran Please, report it as a bug first at https://support.baldursgate.com/. If during the triage it's decided it should be on Trello, let me know.
  • superfly2000superfly2000 Member Posts: 76
    edited June 2018
    Cruise control key/setting/toggle for the character. Probably 2-4 different speeds. Walk, run and searchmode/sneakmode.

Edit: Oh...and backwards maybe. Yeah I know I play too much World of Tanks ;-)
    Post edited by superfly2000 on
    Proont
  • TheCapuletTheCapulet Member Posts: 43
    Can we get the toolset to display blank named objects/creatures/etc with their tag in the palette list?
    superfly2000ProontTerrorble
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    Got a couple of random suggestions:

1) Cleaner Stores: Only show an item once in a store, with a number indicating how many the merchant has in stock. Here's an example of what I mean: if you sell a stack of potions to a store, they sell it back to you as a stack. If you frequently visit a store and sell similar objects, then multiple icons for them will appear in the store. I'm just suggesting that they all be condensed into one, and then a number be added for how many the merchant can sell to you.

2) Toggle option for items with light effects. Some items light up the area around your character. I personally find this slightly annoying at times and would like to disable it. Just a minor request.
  • merricksdadmerricksdad Member Posts: 14
    More suggestions:
    1. Script command to change map icon for a tile, for the purpose of showing a previously undiscovered secret area.
    2. Location in a module file to store that the icon for a map block has changed
    3. Option to automatically append first and second tile lights when they don't exist on a loaded tile by using a standard "lights" model. Append this model (or a set of two models) to the model being loaded, much like one does for appending visual effects to weapons.
    ProlericProont

Hey Beamdog!

I am enjoying the EE and have been playing around with more tileset creation.

I came across one thing that bugs the hell out of me. Vanilla NWN had an issue with fog cut-off distance in that if you changed the camera distance, the fog cut-off distance moved in relation to the camera, not the character's viewpoint. It would be far better if the fog cut-off distance was based on distance from the character, that way a player cannot exploit the camera by using it at a distance in dark places, AND the camera better represents what the character could see.

Here's how I think it should work: If I have the camera centered on my unit, going first person shooter, and I zoom out, I don't want a darkness to creep right up to my character and draw a black wall across the screen only meters from my unit. What I'd rather have is the ability to zoom away from my unit and keep the illumination relative only to my unit.

This visual issue is made worse when normal and specular maps are introduced.

Maybe you could introduce a feature where you pick whether the fog cut-off is central to the unit or the camera.

In addition to clearing up distant-viewing issues for the player and DM, this would create the ability for better screen shots taken from a distance. Selfies in those panoramic areas would be far better when fog exists.

https://trello.com/c/w7jzK80A/201-improve-the-fog-cut-off-distance-approach
    Calgacus said:

Minor wish: make wands, rods equippable and add animations for their use - maybe they could used as offhand items like the torch with no melee fighting animations though I imagine a touch animation will be needed for certain stored spells. i would like for their use to depend on being equipped like other items.

https://trello.com/c/cXWHffUS/202-make-wands-rods-equippable-and-add-animations-for-their-use
    ProontGM_ODA
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    edited July 2018
    Calgacus said:

Minor wish: make wands, rods equippable and add animations for their use - maybe they could used as offhand items like the torch with no melee fighting animations though I imagine a touch animation will be needed for certain stored spells. i would like for their use to depend on being equipped like other items.

Sanctum of the Archmage has had equippable wands and rods for a dozen years. Activating them is a straightforward baseitems.2da edit. (The functionality is already in the game, but from what I remember it was disabled in the 2da because some players disliked it.) I'm not certain what additional animations might be desired, but I think it looks OK (more or less the same as any as any off-hand weapon). It could use a little fixing up, since double-equip on the hotbar doesn't work for them, but it's otherwise functional.
    Post edited by Andarian on
    ProontdTdCalgacus
  • ricoyungricoyung Member Posts: 83
    One more minor wish; Increase the amount of gp a character can carry on hand, As of now, can carry a max of 999999999 GP, anything over that just "disappears" *POOF--I am not sure if this limit is hard coded or server side, and I only run into a GP overage on one server so far (no bank) whereas most servers have banks some do not, and some are richer than others.
    And yes it seems a silly request (even to me) but WTH anyway (no big ;)
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    I wasn't sure where to ask this, nor do I know if its even possible within NWN, but is it at all possible to have some sort of "phasing" tech? Like can there be objects or creatures that are unseen and un-interactable until a certain condition is met, whether it be a variable, a quest, etc? It would be kind of cool to be able to have the world "change" when you're on specific quests or have completed them.
    Proont
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Nic_Mercy said:

I wasn't sure where to ask this, nor do I know if its even possible within NWN, but is it at all possible to have some sort of "phasing" tech? Like can there be objects or creatures that are unseen and un-interactable until a certain condition is met, whether it be a variable, a quest, etc? It would be kind of cool to be able to have the world "change" when you're on specific quests or have completed them.

You could have the object only spawn when the condition is met.

-JFK