Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited July 2018
    Unsurprising, predictable, and disturbing:

I think it's only a matter of time before we start hearing about how Nixon was railroaded out of the Presidency unfairly. That almost has to be one of the lines of propaganda trotted out given Trump's situation.
    Grond0ThacoBell
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    It's on the GOP's mind. State TV said this:
    Geraldo Rivera to Hannity: If you were around then Nixon ‘wouldn’t have been forced to resign’

What a shame to be FORCED TO RESIGN when you commit crimes while Republican. Right Geraldo?

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/371945-geraldo-rivera-if-there-was-a-hannity-during-watergate-nixon-wouldnt
    FinneousPJThacoBell
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    come on, historic revisionism is bread and butter to the right wing. next, they will say how the holocaust didn't happen, or how it wasn't as bad. oh wait...
    smeagolheart
    Meanwhile accused Russian agent Maria Butina had wider high-level contacts in Washington than previously known, taking part in 2015 meetings between a visiting Russian official and two senior officials at the U.S. Federal Reserve and Treasury Department.

Butina with NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre.

Butina and Alexander Torshin, a top Russian official and oligarch, meet GOP Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.

Butina with David Keene, former NRA president and chairman of the American Conservative Union, the group that runs the annual CPAC conference attended by prominent Republicans.

WATCH: Maria Butina (Russian Spy) asking Donald Trump a question in 2015 *EXCLUSIVE*
    I'm sure most of us remember the hoopla over the FISA memo months back, where the GOP House would not allow release of a Democratic rebuttal at the same time. Well, today the DOJ released the materials for the FISA application in regards to Carter Page. And it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Devin Nunes was completely and utterly full of shit and willfully lying about it. You'll recall the "both sides" nonsense at the time. Once again, months later, the truth is revealed. This is why we can't have nice things.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Meanwhile accused Russian agent Maria Butina had wider high-level contacts in Washington than previously known, taking part in 2015 meetings between a visiting Russian official and two senior officials at the U.S. Federal Reserve and Treasury Department.

Butina with NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre.

Butina and Alexander Torshin, a top Russian official and oligarch, meet GOP Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.

Butina with David Keene, former NRA president and chairman of the American Conservative Union, the group that runs the annual CPAC conference attended by prominent Republicans.

WATCH: Maria Butina (Russian Spy) asking Donald Trump a question in 2015 *EXCLUSIVE*
    Well I have to say, she's a lot cuter than Monika Lewinsky. I think being good looking really helps as a spy. Just sayin'...
    Seems like Trump is threatening to annihilate a country late on a Sunday evening:
    edited July 2018
    He must rly mean it because he used all caps! :/ Convenient distraction much. The attempt at causing controversy by mentioning the NFL didn't do enough so he's trying this.

---------

In Toronto, at least 9 people shot dead.
    If the gun came from America, then Canada better build a wall and have America pay for it.

When America sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing guns. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/22/americas/toronto-restaurant-shooting/index.html
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    Balrog99ThacoBell
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    One died and the shooter. Another 14 injured. Reason for the violence is unknown atm.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

Seems like Trump is threatening to annihilate a country late on a Sunday evening:

So let's do a quick retrace of the steps:
    1) Trump pulls out of a multi-lateral agreement with Iran. Doing that is legal under US national law, but still represents breaking America's word.
    2) Trump goes further and actively tries to destroy the agreement, despite the fact that every other country party to the agreement says they want to keep it.
    3) Trump instigates a campaign of misinformation intended to foment unrest among the Iranian people and destabilize the Iranian government - with a view to forcing them to accept revised terms.
    4) Rouhani briefs a gathering of Iranian diplomats on that campaign and wider relations with the US. He reminds them that Iran has the ability to block the Strait of Hormuz (so if Iran is prevented from exporting oil, they could prevent other Middle East countries from doing so). He also said that “America should know that peace with Iran is the mother of all peace, and war with Iran is the mother of all wars”.
    5) Trump tweets that the US will no longer "stand for your demented words of violence & death".

I don't doubt at all that the US has the ability to start a war with Iran. I also don't doubt at all that doing that would not be in the long term interests of the US. I imagine that some of the hawks in the regime are pointing to the fact that the growth in US oil and gas production means they don't need supplies from the Middle East - and in fact that effectively destroying those supplies could give a economic boost to the US relative to the world economy as a whole.

However, that line of thinking ignores the extent to which the world economy is intertwined. A Middle Eastern war, whether or not the US actively participated in that or just used proxy countries, would result in heavy financial costs to the US (as an aside this is yet another example of Trump's view that only win/loss negotiations are real, not win/win - if the US loses less than Iran, Trump would view that as a win, irrespective of the fact that both sides lose). More than that there would be a diplomatic cost for generations to come. Trump may not think that's a genuine cost, but his beliefs won't change the reality.
    jjstraka34ThacoBell
    edited July 2018
    Another "Who is America"this week.

Georgia State Rep (R) Jason Spencer strips down and chraged at another man naked butt first. Then he screamed the ‘N-Word’. Umm yeah there's no situation where oh forget it you're not going to listen anyway, Jason.

Here's a bonus clip of him being awful that didn't air. OMG.
    warning: Explicit

This isn't funny.

The episode also had a presentation at a town hall in Arizona where the collected townspeople expressed their bigotry against mulsims and black people. Small town America frothing at the mouth for the loss... Just gross.
    Zaghoul
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    An all caps message. Trump is an Internet troll to the bone.
    smeagolheartWarChiefZeke
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    SBC is answering the question he poses in title
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

Georgia State Rep (R) Jason Spencer strips down and chraged at another man naked butt first. Then he screamed the ‘N-Word’. Umm yeah there's no situation where oh forget it you're not going to listen anyway, Jason.

Meanwhile, Bill Maher said the same word on his HBO Show, Real Time, and I bet no one says anything about it.

Also meanwhile...Trump's back-and-forth about Russia continues, calling the alleged interference "a big hoax". *sigh* I don't care which point of view you choose but just pick one and stick with it, Trump.

Finally, Trump is considering removing the security clearances from Comey (formerly director of the FBI), Brennan (former director of the CIA), Clapper (former director of National Intelligence), Rice (former national security advisor), McCabe (former deputy FBI director), and Hayden (former NSA director). I suppose he thinks this is a way to "punish" those people--and I suppose it is, from a certain point of view, because if they ever return to their previous job (or a similar job) they will have to go through the vetting process all over again--but it isn't like these people are in any position of authority or importance at this time. Instead, they all have the same job title right now--"private citizen".
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    edited July 2018

He must rly mean it because he used all caps! :/ Convenient distraction much. The attempt at causing controversy by mentioning the NFL didn't do enough so he's trying this.

---------

In Toronto, at least 9 people shot dead.
    If the gun came from America, then Canada better build a wall and have America pay for it.

When America sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing guns. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/22/americas/toronto-restaurant-shooting/index.html

At 3:30pm this afternoon a assumed Muslim carrying a knife stabbed two Canadian Forces Soldiers in Uniform.

https://torontosun.com/2016/03/14/two-canadian-forces-members-injured-in-stabbing-at-federal-building-in-toronto/wcm/35bb53ef-cb37-406f-98d4-e88b4d270259

Also in Ottawa there was this.

https://globalnews.ca/video/4348380/police-remain-at-parliament-hill-after-man-armed-with-knife-arrested

When is it going to sink in that there is a real problem with certain faith groups. If they don't use a gun, they use a knife, Van/Truck or bomb.

The Danforth shooting they are still piecing together but the other two... This was the warning the Toronto police gave to Canadians weeks ago. If they only told the whole truth and said it was a Islamic motivated.

There will be more to come, Canada and the Trudeau government have been very bad boys the last couple of year with certain military decisions that would make Trump look like a choir boy.

* Also the only info we are getting from CBC ( Canadian Broadcasting Company) is that the 18 year old victim was part of a Liberal group in the area WTF!!!! is going on with the media. They don't even hide their political/racial motivational propaganda anymore!!!

Time to ban knives. Don't need a gun to kill.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1414616
    [Deleted User]

It's really hard to kill one hundred people with a knife, it's relatively easy with assault gun. You don't even need to get close or break a sweat.

Since both weapons are legal in the US, it should be pretty easy to research the number of mass casuality knife attacks and the number of mass casuality gun attacks.

I have a hunch that the number of incidents and body count of people killed by gun massacres would be higher than the number of incidents and body counts of knife killings.

It's really hard to kill one hundred people with a knife, it's relatively easy with assault gun. You don't even need to get close or break a sweat.

Since both weapons are legal in the US, it should be pretty easy to research the number of mass casuality knife attacks and the number of mass casuality gun attacks.

I have a hunch that the number of incidents and body count of people killed by gun massacres would be higher than the number of incidents and body counts of knife killings.

Go and tell that to the 10 year olds family that died last night. Stats mean nothing when you are talking about people who use religion to mask their psychosis.

Huge problem with society but let's blame guns.

Faisal Hussain. Name of Danforth shooter.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/police-id-danforth-shooter-1.4757566
    edited July 2018
    Danforth shooter was from a apartment community that is predominantly Arabic ( Muslim). This community in the Thorncliffe Park area is an apartment community also used by the Canadian government to house undocumented immigrants from Arab countries. Another hot spot is the Main and Danforth area in Toronto.
    All societies have problems, not all have mass shootings. What link do you suggest for all the mass shootings in America?

There's a proven link between ease of access to gun and mass shootings. No easy guns, no mass shootings.
    FinneousPJ
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Meanwhile, Bill Maher said the same word on his HBO Show, Real Time, and I bet no one says anything about it.
    Bill Maher isn't a politician to represents people. There is a huge difference.

Danforth shooter was from a apartment community that is predominantly Arabic ( Muslim). This community in the Thorncliffe Park area is an apartment community also used by the Canadian government to house undocumented immigrants from Arab countries. Another hot spot is the Main and Danforth area in Toronto.

Huh, and how many people live there?

Are we to judge the entire community because one person was cultured shocked?

Pulling the conversation, that we should be having, away from the issue is not going to help anyone. Canada has strict gun laws but this guy found one.

I am more concerned with the motivations behind the attack. Where in society are we failing. What are certain religions preaching to their followers. When is it ok for society to step in and intervene? These are the discussions we should be having.

People are going to find a way to kill even if you chop their arms off. We have to find out why they are. What makes someone from a certain religious group throw acid at someone, a little boy even.

deltago said:

Huh, and how many people live there?

Are we to judge the entire community because one person was cultured shocked?
    I would love to have this convo with you @deltago but unfortunately I am restricted on how I can discuss certain things in this thread. I would be more than happy to have a private convo if you wish.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited July 2018
    deltago said:

Very true. However, I thought that was a completely "of-limits" word which no one was supposed to use.

In this thread, we talk a lot about what's currently happening and how we feel about it. I'd like to try something new: why don't we suggest new policies that we personally would like to see implemented?

Thank goodness someone else wants to hear about something other than Trump. Whether positive, neutral, or negative I get bored hearing about him all the time.

*Both* parties in the Texas Legislature (well, at least the current incumbents) have bills they wish to propose next year opening up hemp as a cash crop. I concur with this idea because it will help small and/or independent farmers make more money.

The problem with implementing a progress tax scale is the same problem with trying to define a "fair" rate: who gets to determine the formula? What if their scale isn't seen as "fair" by those who most long for just such a system?

I can completely get behind number 5--when you are elected to serve you are there to *serve*, not make tons of money.
    TakisMegasdeltagosmeagolheartBalrog99

I am more concerned with the motivations behind the attack. Where in society are we failing. What are certain religions preaching to their followers. When is it ok for society to step in and intervene? These are the discussions we should be having.

I get you, but what are you saying? How do you pick which certain religions are preaching to their followers. To me, there are violent Muslims, Christians and violent people among all others.

I don't see how you deal with it by blaming the religion and having the government pick winners and losers in the religion department that is directly against the Constitution and religious freedom was a reason America was founded. Besides, wouldn't scapegoating a particular religion and their sincerely held religious beliefs cause them to take offense and bam you've created an enemy with resentment - a self fulfilling prophecy if you will.
    ThacoBell
    edited July 2018

The constitution also was founded on the right to bear arms.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Unfortunately some are trying to infringe on that. Also some are scapegoating gun groups as the cause of why there are so many. Most of them are good people, why take away their rifles.

Religions or social groups that preach hate are on another level. Someone who sets out to kill others because of what their holy book or God says has already decided what they are going to do. A gun of any size ( the one used in the Danforth shooting was a single shot handgun) is the means to carry out the act, not the cause. If a gun or riffle is not obtainable a van, knife or acid, bomb or other delivery method is used to cause as much harm and destruction as possible. ( Hitler used gas ).

It is the persons state of mind or influences from the groups they associate with ( Imam who preaches hate and death, KKK high wizard who preaches racism towards blacks ) that should be looked at. The people that do the shootings and terror attacks are the real weapon. Programmed to kill even from a holy book or resentment towards a race or group of people.
    edited July 2018
    "A well regulated Militia, " what about that part? It's awful convenient to skip over it to the shall not be infringed part. And what is an assault rifle in Joe Bob Muhammad's hands is for security of a free state?

Times were different then qs far as guns go with a part time army with slow muskets incapable of the death and destruction we are seeing today. Religions haven't really changed.

edited July 2018
    In regards to policy (and I guess also in regards to the last 10 or so posts about guns) I would support a bill that calls for a mandated threshold of liability insurance to own a gun. Proof of this insurance would be needed BEFORE the purchase could take place. I believe this would would cut down on the kind of angry, impulsive buys that take place in the heat of the moment when someone starts thinking about taking a life with a firearm. It also can't really be argued about if you believe in the concept of personal responsibility, as it requires you to do exactly that.
    TakisMegasMathsorcererThacoBellGrond0

I didn't skip the " A well regulated militia" part. It's convenient of the U.S. government not to assign " A well regulated militia", they would have someone to answer too then, when Presidents in the U.S. give Executive Orders and go against Congress and the will of the people.

I see that gun control is a huge thing with you, with me it's what causes the gun to be used. Neither of us are wrong, though I don't believe an inanimate object is to blame.
This discussion has been closed.