Skip to content

Would you buy Icewind Dale II: Enhanced Edition?

Comments

• AronAron Member Posts: 94
    I must say that I enjoyed playing Icewind Dale II very much when it was released. I was kind of expecting an expansion to come for this game aswell, but sadly never did.
    IWD II EE would be a dream come true for me, seeing all these characters and story again! At times it was very difficult battles for me, but that I enjoyed aswell.

I hope so very much that Beamdog will be able to create an enhanced edition of this maginificent game!

Meanwhile we all can wait with excitement for Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition. I never completed this game before, and I'm really looking forward to see what Beamdog will do with this game in the end.

I continue to support Beamdog in every way I can, I think they do an incredeble job to reignite the interests for good old games!
    ProontAedan
  • dexter442dexter442 Member Posts: 2
    My soul needs Icewind Dale 2: Enhanced Edition
    Scottfree9000AedanVarwulf
  • kimmuryielkimmuryiel Member Posts: 89

Frankly I wouldn't even mind if we lost all the cool 3E stuff in IWD2. I currently have the original IWD2 from GOG, and I think it would be great to play IWD2 with standard 2E stuff.

Come to think of it, it might be less work to just re-create the game using the EE 2.X engine (copying over all the areas and critters and dialog and scripting and so forth) than to try to revamp the 3E system and all of those feats and unique 3E effects. Like creating a giant quest mod.

get enough people on board and you may be able to recreate Icewind Dale 2 in the EE engine, assuming you have enough access to it. (I would love you forever for this). Just look at Skywind or Skyblivion. Those teams are recreating games in the Skyrim engine, and they're huge teams--I'm assuming, I don't have a count. I do know, however, great games can be made with small teams. I think the EverQuest team started out as 3-5 people and grew to 25 by its initial release. Just need the right mix of skills (alas, none of my game dev skills include 2d at any reasonable level; or I'd sign up in a heartbeat).
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707

get enough people on board and you may be able to recreate Icewind Dale 2 in the EE engine, assuming you have enough access to it. (I would love you forever for this). Just look at Skywind or Skyblivion. Those teams are recreating games in the Skyrim engine [...]

This is also how IWD:EE started: As the IWD-in-BG2 mod by CamDawg, DavidW & co., which ported the IWD content to the BG2:ToB game engine. It reached a playable beta stage, even without a large team.

Beamdog then picked it up, finished/polished it, did some UI work, and released it as IWD:EE... :)

Of course, doing the same for IWD2 would take much more effort, since the differences (in rules, file formats, etc.) are much larger than those between IWD and BG2 were.
    Aedan
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    ineth said:

Beamdog then picked it up, finished/polished it, did some UI work, and released it as IWD:EE... :)

You missed a gigantic step. Beamdog acquired the IWD source code.

That's the problem with IWD2; no one knows where the source code is.

ThacoBellDev6
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Yeah, without the source code you'd basically have to re-create IWD2 from scratch in the EE engine. Which isn't impossible at all from a technical standpoint, but isn't remotely feasible for Beamdog cost-wise.
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78
    edited May 2018
    I would for sure. I never got to play the original one, I actually dont remember it coming out for the Mac, but according to Moby Games it did, and we got it on GOG so I completely missed it.. I have the original from GOG but Id still complete the EE collection if it came out.
  • IamdorfIamdorf Member Posts: 60
    IWDII remains my favorite RPG of all time. It introduced me to Dnd and unlike IWD I have actually beaten the game.
  • CanopusCanopus Member Posts: 3
    I'd definitely play it, since IWDII is close to my heart, but if they try to pull off any SJW-bullshit like in SoD, I'd skip.
    Wandering_Minstrel
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

Canopus said:

I'd definitely play it, since IWDII is close to my heart, but if they try to pull off any SJW-bullshit like in SoD, I'd skip.

I'm still waiting for folks - without going on a nonsensical rant - to tell me what SJW-bullshit was in SoD. There was one NPC, that you can avoid/ignore, who claimed to be transgender. Meh. Who cares?
    But it is dangerous enough.

Interacted once with Mizhena and I've been using a bra ever since.
    NimranProontAmmar
    edited July 2018

RaduzielProont
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    im actually amazed as to how many people like IWD 2, the only thing that i can think of is that it is for nostalgic reasons because to be perfectly honest, IWD 2 in my opinion isn't really that good of a game

the fights are super bland and chapter 5 is a complete nightmare story wise ( ugh )

but to each their own i suppose, i like the idea more that a couple of people were saying about putting IWD 2 into 2nd edition rules using the already beamdog enhanced engine, the whacky quasi "3rd" edition that IWD 2 uses is absolutely atrocious and best part is, some of the feats are bugged and don't work

these are of coarse my humble opinions and as far as i know i could be completely off my rocker, but to be honest, if we are going to get more IWD of some sort, i would just prefer a new IWD which would have to be in the 5e rules ( which would be interesting to see how that translates over into a PC game )
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    sarevok57 said:

im actually amazed as to how many people like IWD 2, the only thing that i can think of is that it is for nostalgic reasons

Or OCD.

• fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Ahh come on, all that beautiful artwork, every cut scene is like story time with santa clause, Oswald, new races, new animations, the sheer size... Icewind Dale 2 is great for those who love the art style of IE and story games ... yes, I remember it being an absolutely frustrating grind fest at times, but you can mod the hell out of it, then play the hell out of it :)
    ThacoBellrapsam2003AedanIamdorf
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I played IWD2 YEARS after the BG series and IWD1. I don't have the same nostalgia for it. I legitimately like the game a lot. Changing it to 2nd edition rules would ruin it though. The different ruleset is what sets the game apart from the other IE titles.
    rapsam2003AedanIamdorfProont
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    ThacoBell said:

I played IWD2 YEARS after the BG series and IWD1. I don't have the same nostalgia for it. I legitimately like the game a lot. Changing it to 2nd edition rules would ruin it though. The different ruleset is what sets the game apart from the other IE titles.

I dunno about that. I've played many editions of D&D and AD&D, and I've never seen a module that is so tied to the ruleset that it can't be adapted from one ruleset to another. Temple of Elemental Evil was originally written as a 1E AD&D adventure. It was adapted to 3E rules just fine for Troika's CRPG (coding bugs notwithstanding).
    [Deleted User]Proont

I dunno about that. I've played many editions of D&D and AD&D, and I've never seen a module that is so tied to the ruleset that it can't be adapted from one ruleset to another.

You've never tried to edit the entire functionality of a computer system like a game or a server or anything extensive then. EVERYTHING in IWD2 is tied into 3rd Edition rules. If you feel like adapting it to AD&D2, have fun. Enjoy the next 5 years of life in the hell that will be. ;)

ThacoBellProont
    edited July 2018

I dunno about that. I've played many editions of D&D and AD&D, and I've never seen a module that is so tied to the ruleset that it can't be adapted from one ruleset to another.

You've never tried to edit the entire functionality of a computer system like a game or a server or anything extensive then. EVERYTHING in IWD2 is tied into 3rd Edition rules. If you feel like adapting it to AD&D2, have fun. Enjoy the next 5 years of life in the hell that will be. ;)
    The amount of work that would be required for one person to mod IWD2 to the EE engine is unrelated to the game being "ruined" by such a conversion. Yes, it would be a lot of work (I never said it could be done in a weekend), but the adventure for IWD2 could just as well be implemented in a 2E engine.

In fact, IWD2 was originally going to only incorporate "some 3rd Edition rules", while hanging on to many 2E features like kits (including new ones announced for IWD2: Votary, Giant Killer, Arcane Rogue, Aes Dana, Mercenary, etc..). It wasn't until later on that the developers announced the scrapping of kits and conversion to a full 3E class implementation (feats, 3E multiclassing, etc..). So, there's nothing fundamental about the adventure that requires 3E.
    IamdorfProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @AstroBryGuy It would completely change the feel of the game. What if they changed BG rules to the Diablo ruleset?
    Aedan

The amount of work that would be required for one person to mod IWD2 to the EE engine is unrelated to the game being "ruined" by such a conversion. Yes, it would be a lot of work (I never said it could be done in a weekend), but the adventure for IWD2 could just as well be implemented in a 2E engine.

In fact, IWD2 was originally going to only incorporate "some 3rd Edition rules", while hanging on to many 2E features like kits (including new ones announced for IWD2: Votary, Giant Killer, Arcane Rogue, Aes Dana, Mercenary, etc..). It wasn't until later on that the developers announced the scrapping of kits and conversion to a full 3E class implementation (feats, 3E multiclassing, etc..). So, there's nothing fundamental about the adventure that requires 3E.
    i think that was mostly to do with the fact that 3rd edition was the new edition of DnD that was out and they wanted to promote more 3E DnD so that is probably why IWD 2 is the way that it is with it's pseudo ruleset

i bet most of the game was made with 2nd edition before they were told to make it 3rd edition, and since the cost would have been so high to completely revamp the game they made it look more like 3rd edition, even though IWD still uses casting times and weapon speeds, that is why in IWD 2, two handed weapons are sometimes not that favorable because their weapon speed is so garbage
    ThacoBell said:

@AstroBryGuy It would completely change the feel of the game. What if they changed BG rules to the Diablo ruleset?

I find the difference in game play between IWD2 and ToEE to be greater than between IWD and IWD2. Yet, IWD2 and ToEE both use 3.XE D&D rulesets (i.e., they are far closer in ruleset than IWD2 and the other Infinity Engine games).

Baldur's Gate Reloaded took the BG1 game and translated it to the NWN2 engine. The experience is different than BG1, of course, but it's still a great adventure (if a bit buggy). The Diablo engine wouldn't work as well, but not because of the ruleset. The Diablo engine only supports one follower in addition to the PC, which would greatly alter the available story content (at least for those who don't play solo runs).
    [Deleted User]Proont
    sarevok57 said:

i think that was mostly to do with the fact that 3rd edition was the new edition of DnD that was out and they wanted to promote more 3E DnD so that is probably why IWD 2 is the way that it is with it's pseudo ruleset

i bet most of the game was made with 2nd edition before they were told to make it 3rd edition, and since the cost would have been so high to completely revamp the game they made it look more like 3rd edition, even though IWD still uses casting times and weapon speeds, that is why in IWD 2, two handed weapons are sometimes not that favorable because their weapon speed is so garbage
    The developers wanted to make it 3rd Edition. At first, Interplay wanted the game as fast as possible (they needed cash to keep the company afloat), so a 2E/3E hybrid was being developed (e.g., BAB instead of THACO, positive AC, but a 2E class/kit system, 2E proficiencies). Josh Sawyer and his team pushed for a more complete 3E revision (subject to limitations of the Infinity Engine, e.g., no Attacks of Opportunity) and got a 3 month extension on the release date (originally announced as May 2002, delayed to August).

If you delve into the .bif files in IWD2 with NearInfinity or DLTCEP, you'll see the evidence of the 2E/3E hybrid that was originally planned.
    sarevok57StummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddessProont
    @AstroBryGuy, ok, sure. It "could" have been done. It wasn't, and frankly I think IWD2 was better for it.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Im tinkering around with iwd2, I think most of the 3.5 ruleset could be replicated in the iwdee engine. Skills, for example, could be done through scripting globals. The only thing I think you cant replicate is having multiple levels across different classes, like a warrior taking a little stealth action.

I think iwd2ee would need to be or at least feel 3.5... but I'm trying to figure out exactly what that means. Which specific things are important to address in 3.5?
    IamdorfProont
    spells are different in 3.5, for example, the level 3 spell haste only affects one character, while the level 6 spell maste haste affects all characters, in 3.5 haste went back to affecting all characters, also i think they simplified spells more with more "mass" and "greaters" and the like

plus i believe 3.5 did a lot of cleaning up on the rules and perhaps feats and such, but this was mostly for the PnP game, i dont think 3.0/3.5 would have much difference when it would come to a PC game, in fact, i believe if im not mistaken that even neverwinter nights only uses 3.0 rules as well, so look at the difference between NWN 1 and NWN 2 in terms of game mechanics and as far as we may know, they virtually play the exact same
    ThacoBell
  • FylFyl Member Posts: 62
    Redrake said:

Dev6 said:

Redrake said:

Raduziel said:

Am I the only one that thinks that remaking the IWD2 plot over IWDEE engine would be better than an IWD2EE?

That quasi-third-edition really gets on my nerves. That way we could replay the story with an AD&D ruleset. Way better IMHO.

You are not. I promoted this idea for a few months now.
    I've also said before that I'd rather have that than no IWD2EE at all, but I'm not sure if it's doable (from a legal point of view, that is).
    We should keep saying it though, you never know who might be reading. :tongue:
    Well, I am also thinking about that. But my reasons are not because it might not be doable. It is is fact doable. But it would open a big, very large can of worms.

If you look at the current updates, people are crying over having shamans and modifications from 2.5 BG2 into IWD1. Imagine if they released IWD2 EE. How long it would take players to request BG1&2 EE made unto 3E, because they want to use skills&feats?
    Probably less than 24 hours.

That in itself is risk, which Beamdog might not willing to make.

I would like to see more interest in IWD2 as it is one of the finest games made by BIS and as the modding for it is rather less known, I'd like to see interest in that area as well.

Thats not a risk, thats a business opportunity... the Android ports have demonstrated that Beamdog is willing to take on smaller projects for several hundred thousand bucks
  • I would also love to play IWD2 EE as it was such a fantastic game. I have very fond memories of playing it when I was a teen. I also thoroughly enjoyed it as an adult until I had to upgrade my laptop. HP Omen & other modern laptops won't play it so please Beamdog enhance it so we can all enjoy it again. Beamdog have done a fantastic job of enhancing all the other old games. Judging by the huge interest in IWD2, it would definitely be worth enhancing it.
    Aedan
    As folks keep saying, it's not that it isn't worth it. It's that they don't have the source code.
    IamdorfProontThacoBell