Skip to content

The 75 roll No-Reload/No Resurrection Challenge

Comments

• SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @JLee - Nice to see you trying this out, it definitely is a different feeling knowing you can't reload or resurrect. I found myself using potions a lot more, usually I hang on to them forever "just in case" there is a better time. Good luck on your adventure and keep us updated!
    JLee
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Hi, I'd like to try this challenge, but I think the rules about not editing rolls are a bit silly. It just makes you waste time rerolling since that's explicitly allowed. If you'd allow editing or at least rearranging rolls (like in ToEE), I promise I'd try this ;)
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited February 2013
    Alas, my man Jowie never got to roll another d4. On the way to the Nashkell Mines our party was ambushed by bandits and before Jowie could even move, he was felled by a lone arrow. [cue taps]
    Sadly, the only one to die in this game was CHARNAME.

Perhaps the next playthrough will be of heartier stock...
    SirK8Cloutier
    edited February 2013

Man I just can't catch a break. Started a dwarven barbarian and got 1 shotted by Silke's lightning spell. Fucking god damnit

Started a dwarven berserker and made it to the FAI. I killed Tarnesh, but forgot the temporary hit points due to rage. I died less than one minute after entering the inn. I am a freakin' idiot lol

Killebrew

SirK8DragonspearCloutier
    Actually taking the stats as they are and not editing is part of what added to this challenge. This way you can't min/max at all and have to go with the roll as it lays. Being able to rearrange rolls or otherwise edit will give you a significant advantage. Of course you are certainly free to play the game how you want.

Hi, I'd like to try this challenge, but I think the rules about not editing rolls are a bit silly. It just makes you waste time rerolling since that's explicitly allowed. If you'd allow editing or at least rearranging rolls (like in ToEE), I promise I'd try this ;)

edited February 2013
    But rerolling infinitely is the same just takes more time is my point.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418

But rerolling infinitely is the same just takes more time is my point.

Not really - rerolling may give you better numbers than previous rolls for your purposes but rearranging lets you choose which numbers are high and which are low to a far greater degree - take a 75 roll and adjust it as you would like then see how many rolls it takes to duplicate your choices...

SirK8
    Yes but it is possible to replicate the edited stats by rolling no matter how unlikely ;)
    Again, that's part of the challenge, most likely if you are participating in the challenge you recognize that the guidelines given strongly discourage min/maxing and to play with mediocre/less than desirable scores. Yes, you are correct, assuming infinite rerolling you can eventually achieve the exact stats you want, but that is mostly against he spirit of this particular challenge. It's just like 18/00 on a normal character, if I roll a fighter I don't reroll until I get 18/00 even though I can eventually get that STR and the other stats the way I like, but the odds are much lower than just accepting a lower 18/xx score and having other stats the way I like them. Sure I'll try for a while, but not indefinitely.

To achieve the lineup you want AND have a 75 roll without adjusting or rearranging is VERY unlikely... sure maybe you'll get lucky, but if not you'll probably accept your best roll after a certain amount of time (everyone has a different threshold).

That being said, this is your game man, you can play it exactly how you want. If you want to take the challenge with rearranged scores go for it! I don't think anyone will flame you for it, even if you post the updates here. It would be polite to specify what you did that deviated from the original challenge IMO though (i.e. in another challenge I used shadowkeeper to adjust NPC proficiencies, I just make sure I disclosed it in my opening post).
    Yes, I just wanted to ask how people feel about it. Anyhow, after half a glass of wine and some rolling I got a decent set of stats for my Cleric/Mage, Ny'risa.

STR 11
    DEX 10
    CON 16
    INT 16
    WIS 14
    CHA 8

Already began my run and even lost people. Quite exciting! I'll post more info tomorrow.
    SirK8EnterHaerDalis

Yes, I just wanted to ask how people feel about it. Anyhow, after half a glass of wine and some rolling I got a decent set of stats for my Cleric/Mage, Ny'risa.

STR 11
    DEX 10
    CON 16
    INT 16
    WIS 14
    CHA 8

Already began my run and even lost people. Quite exciting! I'll post more info tomorrow.

Godspeed!
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    For some minor customization it could be allowed to move at most 5 points and max 2 points from/to one stat? Just a suggestion.
  • forktheworldforktheworld Member Posts: 88
    Oh man I can't wait to start this. I just finished my first ever Bard run, so this will be a nice new challenge. I rolled up an elven vanilla-fighter.
    Str: 13
    Dex: 13
    Con: 16
    Int: 8
    Wis: 11
    Cha: 14

I focused him on bows to try to minimize future deaths, but I gave him some pips in long sword to allow for some melee scraps when necessary. After finishing gearing up, Gareth is about ready to embark on an apparently perilous journey with his "father" and mentor, Gorion. :)
    SirK8EnterHaerDalis
    @forktheworld = Nice, keep us updated!
    edited February 2013
    Here's my Ny'risa. Apparently I forgot to take a screenshot in the beginning but she's still level 1 so...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

She has a pip in warhammers and maces. Probably will ignore weapon styles and get slings next.

We did the normal fetch quests at candlekeep (however reluctantly) before leaving with Gorion. I forgot to change the difficulty so I played the prologue at normal. Now it's at core til the end.

Encountered an annoying Imoen but decided she could be useful. The two then ran into a charming pair of Montaron and Xzar, instantly liking the eccentric companions. Too bad then, that Montaron was killed by the very first encounter, a wolf.

Continuing on we reached the FAI. The first real assasination attempt (by Tarnesh) was thwarted quite easily – Ny'risa sensed something was wrong with this individual and was ready to act when he started casting. Imoen's bow and Xzar's Minor Drain interrupted his first spell. He managed to get Horror off at near death however, sending Ny'risa into panic. Imoen finished the assassin off next round so only a minor annoyance.

Searching the FAI we got into trouble with the law and had to rest outside to wait for them to give up. We also ran into Gorion's friends Khalid and Jaheira. We chatted up Dorn, hopefully his encounter goes well. Ny'risa decided that to avoid further deaths she should equid all her companions with ranged weapons.

The ranged weapons proved an excellent strategy in ridding the FAI area of hobgoblins. No damage was sustained!

South of the FAI a dire wolf almost killed Khalid. Of course, next we encountered something far more dangerous.

The strategy was to cast entangle and pelt the SoB from distance. Jaheira misjudged the casting time.

He barely got caught in the spells. Moments later he was released and forced the party into melee. Using healing potions and rotating the melee character I managed to kill the ogre. To the dismay of Jaheira Khalid was lost in the process.

Losses
    ------
    Montaron – Level 1
    Khalid – Level 1

Party
    ------
    Imoen – Level 1
    Ny'risa – Level 1/1
    Xzar – Level 1
    Jaheira – Level 1/1

Will continue later today.
    JLeeEnterHaerDalisStarflower2525
    Ny'risa foolishly killed trying to defend Viconia :(
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Let me tell you the tale of Dask Fellwood. Lawful good, wizard slayer.
    Stats: str 12, dex 17, con 14, int 12, wis 12, cha 8
    Dask spent little time in Candlekeep stopping only to buy a sword, shield, chainmail and a helmet before heading out with Gorian. Why did he not buy a shortbow? You ask, as he does have a pip in the skill. Well he's a cocky sob that likes getting his hands dirty.
    (Spoiler) Gorian was killed, and Dask joined up with Imoen, his long time friend. The two dispatched a Gibberling on the way to pick up whatever Gorian had on his body. Among the loot was a shortbow, Dask picked it up, but kept with the sword for now.
    Along the road they met up with Xzar and Monty, Dask didn't trust them, but the roads are a dangerous place. He decided to let them tag along to the friendly arm in. The trip was a quiet one with only a single gibberling attacking the party. On the steps of the Friendly Arm Inn an assassin attacked. Xzar fired off a quick Larochs, as the melee fighters engaged him. Imoen fired arrows and a second spell from Xzar took him down.
    The group met up with Khalid and Jahira. A set of scale mail was purchased and it was decided that they should head to Beregost on the way to Naskel. The party set out at once.
    A single bandit attacked the party on the road, and he was dispatched easily by Khalid.
    Arriving in Beregost the party began to take in the sights. They chatted with a bard named Garrik who offered them a bit of gold. Needing gold, Dask jumped at this opportunity. The party was lead to Silke, who was willing to pay the group 400 gold, a kings ransom, to deal with some punks. However when the punks arrived Dask noticed all was not right and refused to kill them. Silke attacked quickly. Dask and Khalid rushed her with swords at the ready, Imoen let fly an arrow Monty attacked from the rear. Silke began to cast a spell, but Xzar was ready for her. A simple Laroch should disrupt it. However the party foolishly hadnt rested and Silkes lightening tore through Dask like a hot knife through butter. RIP little man
    JLeeEnterHaerDalisCloutier
  • apeterssonapetersson Member Posts: 33
    Silke has a very good track record in this thread. Wondering if i should roll an Archer. Although it is nearly impossible to roll a Ranger with 75 and the severe APR bug with ranged weapons might hold him back.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813

Silke has a very good track record in this thread. Wondering if i should roll an Archer. Although it is nearly impossible to roll a Ranger with 75 and the severe APR bug with ranged weapons might hold him back.

Yeah... I even broke Silke's mirror image and had a few nice blows on her before she cast that damned lightning spell.. it's as if she has tunnel vision on Charname and just nukes the shit out of you

Going to try another run maybe later today.

edited February 2013
    Ok...one more run for me. This time he's a dwarf fighter/cleric.

Heldig:

Things started off fairly well. Immy and I made it to the FAI with no problems. Tarnesh was brought down by the guards this time. Khalid and Jaheira joined the group and this time we stopped to see this wizard we had heard about and met Kivan, archer extraordinaire. We stopped by Beregost on our way south to Nashkell and met up with an intriguing young mage, Neera. I think she kinda likes me ;)

Things went pretty smoothly for a time until we met a foe that no weapons worked against, a vampiric wolf. Run away!! In fact we trained the wolf into some bandits lol.

Amazingly no one was hurt!

By the time we got to Nashkell, I had pretty well tired of Jaheira's tude and Khalid's acute anxiety. So, when we met this Minsc fellow, we decided to invite him along at the expense of K&J. He's a crazy mofo, but he makes me laugh.

While venturing south to the mines we were ambushed by thugs. Heldig was in dire straits during the ensuing battle but this Dorn fellow came along and saved his life. In gratitude for this act, we decided to invite Dorn along and help him with his quest.

Unfortunately the unlikely friendship was not long lasting as poor Dorn did not survive the very next encounter with a wolf duo. One critical hit and Dorn was no more.

We have arrived at the mines and hope to uncover the goings on there with no more loss of life (yeah right!).

Losses:
    Dorn level 1

Party:
    Minsc level 1
    Heldig level 1/1
    Kivan level 2
    Neera level 1
    Imoen level 2
    EnterHaerDalisSirK8
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    @jlee nice that portrait is beautiful might have to get a copy of it sometime ^^ don't have any dwarven ones
    JLee
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243

Man I just can't catch a break. Started a dwarven barbarian and got 1 shotted by Silke's lightning spell. Fucking god damnit

I seriously LOL'ed
    TPSullivan1
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I'm intrigued by this challenge. Core rules and no reloads? That's crazy! What if I level up and get a roll of 1 for HP? Hmm. I think I'll try my hands at it. Barbarian sounds good... or should I go the extra-hard route and make - dun dun dun! - a monk!?

I'll figure it out.

@jlee nice that portrait is beautiful might have to get a copy of it sometime ^^ don't have any dwarven ones

It's one of my favorites too. I found it in the BG:EE custom portraits dropbox. This one is from Eleos:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gsn24bgwwu0gyqw/59lGFZJUXJ/Portraits (Eleos)

This challenge is difficult, and a lot of fun. I intend to start another play through tomorrow.
    SirK8
    edited February 2013
    @Delvarian

So right, I actually already rolled two more Clc/Mages and both got killed fairly quickly so I didn't even get time to make a post. I might still roll another one later today, it's personal now!! lol
    JLee
    I blaim myself for being an idiot my first try and not resting when I should have. Hopefully my next run will be better, I'm thinking of trying a ranged character next.
    JLee
    I'm considering doing this with the beta version of SCS installed for BG:EE. But I really do want to finish my original playthrough for this game, I'm so close haha. I keep getting distracted by new ideas.