Skip to content

The 75 roll No-Reload/No Resurrection Challenge

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I totally recommend using ranged weapons for the entire chapter 1 at least.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418

At least for the PC - throw the minions into the fray !

• BazzaBazza Member Posts: 57
    Adessa is up next (15,13,12,18,8,9) she's a straight fighter, having short sword ++ and TWF ++. With an 18 in intelligence she has a chance to dual to wizard, I decided at each level up and chapter change I would ask the magic 8 ball if I shall dual class or not, the party hit chapter 2 before she made it to level 2 and the 8ball said no at level 2 as well.

The group was going well until it travelled to Bear River, then a shit storm hit!

The death toll :

Khalid - he died trying to kite a bear on the way to Bear River...
    Jaheira - she got smashed to death by an ogre beserker at Bear River.
    Xzar - he also got smashed to death by the same ogre beserker!

Still Fighting the fight :

Adessa - She doesn't want to see another gawd damn Bear, .. or River!
    Montaron - Was last seen running around a rock face to the benny hill music getting chased by 2 ogre beserkers!
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607

Sage advice really. In retrospect I wished I had put two pips in axes instead of warhammers and used throwing axes liberally in the earlier fights. The end of the game came down to a lack of healing potions really... too many got used on easier fights that could have been saved if the PC's were at range and thus safer from harm.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    @GoodSteve

Try using auto pause on character death and other auto pause options to capture good screen shots :)
  • forktheworldforktheworld Member Posts: 88
    Well, Gareth put in a good chunk of work today. At last report, the crew had stopped in Nashkel to rest. After venturing to the east, the group managed to clear out the entire Gnoll Stronghold and rescue Minsc's witch, Dynaheir. Unfortunately for Garrick, this didn't leave room for him, so he was booted. After gathering their party and venturing forth, they decided to explore some more in the eastern part of the area before heading to the mines. After clearing a huge area of enemies, including several bandits, some ogres, and an entire xvart village plus cave bears, the party came upon a beach. They noticed several green haired women on the beach who immediately started chanting a spell of some sort. They managed to take down the 1st of the 3 from a distance, but the other two finished their spells and became invisible. Minsc and Khalid immediately rushed the barely visible girls, and managed to kill one of them, but the other managed to turn Minsc to her side of the fray. As the rest of the party focused on killing the sirine, Minsc immediately turned around and bashed Khalid's skull in with his newly acquired stunning mace. The rest of the party finished of the sirine and immediately fled Minsc's terrible wrath until his mind returned to normal. Moving further up the coast, the crew encountered a lone thief named Safana, who seductively convinced Gareth to allow her into the group. Now with a full group, they again ran into a group of 3 sirines. This time however, they managed to turn both Minsc and Safana against the party. These additional threats destroyed both Jaheira and Dynaheir. Meanwhile, the rest of the group killed 2 of the sirines before the 3rd managed to kill Kivan with her poisoned arrows. After Gareth sunk and arrow into the heart of the sirine, Sil, the party regrouped and Gareth, Minsc, and Safana retreated to find some more companions. Recalling the presence of a formidable looking mage in Nashkel, they headed back and invited (the slightly odd) Edwin into the group for his magical prowess. Deciding some time to relax could be beneficial, they head to a local carnival where they bring an ancient warrior back to life and ask Branwen to join their group. Feeling slightly more confident, the group begins to head to the mines but is ambushed. After fending off the bandits, a foreboding half-orc named Dorn approaches the party and asks to join. To afraid to say no, Gareth agrees and the party moves forth toward the mines. After entering the vicinity of the mines, Gareth and crew met a crazed sculptor named Prism who asked for defense. Before much could be decided, a bounty hunter named Greywolf appeared and accused Gareth of stealing one of his bounties (which Gareth may or may not have done). The man immediately attacked Branwen, and 2 critical hits later, she fell after only 16 hours with the party. Luckily, the rest of the party managed to cut the cruel killer down. So, in recap:

Losses:
    Imoen, level 1
    Neera, level 1
    Khalid, level 3
    Jaheira, level 3/3
    Dynaheir, level 2
    Kivan, level 3
    Branwen, level 2

Current Party:

Gareth, level 4 fighter, 42 hp
    Minsc, level 4 ranger, 35 hp
    Dorn, level 4 Blackguard, 30 hp
    Edwin, level 4 conjurer, 21 hp
    Safana, level 4 thief, 14 hp
    Holy wall of text... ;)

That's a nice looking party I'm sure you'll rid Nashkel of their problems in no time!
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT, and for my writing practice, a wall of text! Prepare yourself
    _N8_ said:

opted for lower Dex to make things more interesting. Remade char, has: Str 16 Dex 9 Con 18 Int 14 Wis 11 Cha 7, and Lawful Evil seems more befitting for the class & race. Terrible thaco but darn he can take hits, esp. with defensive stance. Just killed the ogre outside Friendly Arm.

Here's a screenshot of the remade char:

Typed some background story, proceeding the first 2 paragraphs of the default bio:
    Having been raised by humans and elves and being under the watchful eyes of Gorion at all times, over the years you have grown stir-crazy in your yearning to rejoin your kindred. This slowly bred malice, impatience, and a subtle mistrust toward 'tall folk' within you. You know little of your dwarven heritage, save what you have gleaned from Reavor and the tomes of Candlekeep. You have adopted an awkward accent and several sayings or phrases 'rumored' to be used by dwarves, some of which are quite silly. During your studies your tutors teased you, calling you "Fair to Midland', a dwarven phrase you often use to describe your disposition. The title somehow stuck. Your only friend, Imoen, chose not to call you this (she
    calls you other names, however). Imoen is the only human you completely trust.

Forss's captor, Gorion was killed by an unknown troupe. Forss is now free of Gorion's presence forever, and Imoen joined up with Forss as well! Soon after, met with Montaron and Xzar, who seemed to be heading in our direction. Xzar is a human, but his personality intrigued Forss. Too insane to be a threat. Spotted an ogre on the road. It was a risky battle, and the ogre seemed to have been yearning for halfling flesh. Montaron was bludgeoned by a morningstar twice his size, and he was nearly crushed to a pulp. But the party came through in the end.

Instagibbed an assassin at the Friendly Arm. Thinking this as nothing more than typical human trickery, Forss headed into the inn. Realizing that Khalid and Jaheira are elves, I choose to not let them join. They seem very arrogant, and Forss mistrusts humans and elves (with the exception of Imoen) - due to past events at Candlekeep. Began the journey to Nashkel: to Beregost! Met some kobolds on the way to the city. Otherwise, the journey was uneventful.

Reached Beregost at sunrise. Met an arrogant, fanatical witch and dispatched her easily. Garrick, being stupid enough to be controlled by the witch weakling, is far too dense to be a threat to Forss. I allow Garrick to join, he'll make useful fodder later on. Montaron agrees. The first inn that I enter at Beregost contains another assassin! And dwarven brethren no less! I was forced to inflict great pain upon him, sending him fleeing terror around the room, til Garrick finally stuck a crossbow bolt in his chest.

Everything is going really well. TOO WELL perhaps. We use our bout of extraordinary luck to carry out a favor for a halfling in the Friendly Arm and tackle a spider infested house. I send Garrick in first, to his chagrin. Amazingly, through his overwhelming will to live, girlish screaming, flailing, and prancing around the house in awe-inspiring effeminate terror, Garrick survives. His hilarious girlish screams bestow us with morale to fight off the beasts, allowing us to eradicate the infestation with the help of some healing potions. We are unscathed (mostly)!

We exit the house and enter a torrential downpour. The sun has set. We decide to head to a tavern to celebrate our victories and avoid this dastardly weather. On our way there, the sky suddenly emits a bright white-blue light. Forss is STRUCK BY LIGHTNING, and being wounded from the spider battle, IS INSTANTLY REDUCED TO ASH, the party's mouths agape! Damn you, Cyric!

Unfortunately, in the insanity of the moment I failed to take a screenshot of the event. Ridiculous, but hilarious.... Going to reload though. Not eligible for the thread anymore but I like this character a lot.
    If you wear a metal plate you need to take shelter when it's storming, d'oh.
    I rolled yet another Cleric/Mage.

This time it's a Gnome Cleric/Illusionist. I got an awesome roll as you can see.
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Killed a few things on the way to the FAI.

Now he's waiting at FAI for the next play time.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @_N8_ too bad about Forss :(
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    this game really starting to piss me the fuck off

every time I start making things happen I get fucked around by some stupid death. Fucking slings in this game suck DICK - 1 APR when I have a pip in fucking slings makes it the red headed step child of ranged weapons. My guys just stand there like retards I guess loading their slings while Zordral mirror images, horrors my entire party of 6 and fucking Melf's Acid Arrow my main guy till he dies. Fucking pissed me off how much faster bows are than slings, it's completely retarded. They are literally twice as fast, I checked and tested it. 1 pip in slings = 1 apr, 1 pip in bows = 2 apr

/rage

never thought in a million years baldurs gate could piss me off this much

this game really starting to piss me the fuck off

every time I start making things happen I get fucked around by some stupid death. Fucking slings in this game suck DICK - 1 APR when I have a pip in fucking slings makes it the red headed step child of ranged weapons. My guys just stand there like retards I guess loading their slings while Zordral mirror images, horrors my entire party of 6 and fucking Melf's Acid Arrow my main guy till he dies. Fucking pissed me off how much faster bows are than slings, it's completely retarded. They are literally twice as fast, I checked and tested it. 1 pip in slings = 1 apr, 1 pip in bows = 2 apr

/rage

never thought in a million years baldurs gate could piss me off this much

Sorry to hear your run ended...

I'm sure you probably already know this but relying on (or even expecting) a sling to hit and take out a dangerous foe like Zordal before he magics you to death is not exactly the optimal mindset or tactics for a 75 roll no reload game - altho if others can get to him and disrupt his casting the sling will certainly help take him out if/when it hits.

-multiple immediate magic missles from a mage and/or wands or other very quick (speed 1) spells like Larlochs to disrupt him immediately are key and if you have a cleric that can command him to lie down for a round at the same time even better - Basicly if you don't stop him from casting you are more likely to die than not.

Pre-buffing with remove fear will save you losing characters to a horror spell as well.

as for slings vs bows the only real benefit to slings as a ranged weapon is they add the str modifier to damage (like other thrown weapons) but I don't think they ever get more than 1 attack per round and their speed factor is 6 so they don't fire until the second half of the round - halflings get an extra +1 to Thac0 (and damage?) but the speed doesn't change nor the APR so it's not going to disrupt any quick casting spell even if it hits.

Slings are mostly for RP flavor or classes that can't use bows and bows are indeed the king of ranged weapons in BG (that have often been touted as OP especially in BG1)

Good luck on your next run - will you be playing an archer perhaps? ;-)

@EnterHaerDalis - To be fair, this is a pretty tough challenge. Even with a full party, having non optimized stats and avoiding metagaming really adds to the difficulty on a no reload. And yes, bows are faster than slings :) I think though slings get STR +dmg and +hit (the +hit I'm not quite sure about).

My team is doing alright so far. We're about to enter the last part of the mine and then take on Mulahay. This is the furthest I've been so far on this challenge (my first PC died literally about 10 steps down the cavern earlier). I'd post some screens but they're on my other machine.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I get so nervous just walking through the wilderness in this challenge. One really has to focus on tactics, as well as pray to the deities for luck. Any stupid move (and I make many) can cost you.
    Delvarian said:

I get so nervous just walking through the wilderness in this challenge. One really has to focus on tactics, as well as pray to the deities for luck. Any stupid move (and I make many) can cost you.

I agree and the further along you get the higher the adrenaline flow each time you enter a difficult battle - I really like that part of playing no reload but perhaps thats tempered with the fact that I love starting over too LOL

Alright guys, lots of progress. I have managed to clear the bandit camp, and now I'm most of the way through the Cloakwood. I did have one extremely scary run-in with some ettercaps in a surprise attack, but I managed to escape with Baeloth and Edwin at 1 HP (!). Just killed Peter of the North ;). I haven't really had any significant deaths since my last post, but I did pick up (the incredibly awesome) Baeloth. I also decided to drop Safana in favor of Coran, even though I won't be able to do Durlag's for awhile while I work on his find traps... But now I am butt-kicking for goodness with a party of:

Gareth, level 5, 54 HP
    Dorn, level 5, 40 HP
    Vicky, level 5, 20 HP
    Coran, level 5/5, 39 HP
    Edwin, level 5, 23 HP
    Baeloth, level 5, 36 HP

I have lost:
    Imoen, level 1
    Neera, level 1
    Khalid, level 3
    Jaheira, level 3/3
    Dynaheir, level 2
    Kivan, level 3
    Branwen, level 2

Here's to a continuation of the good luck!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    With the party consisting of Dorn, Vicky, Edwin and Baeloth you're butt-kicking for evilness;)

That's a strong party, all of them are powerful NPCs indeed.

Good luck with you run! Smiles everyone smiles, this is like some great fantasy.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    This will sound strange, but I might as well share what happened with me today. I found a big bandit camp near Nashkel (that's not actually in the game) complete with those pesky Black Talon archers and trained war dogs. I kept killing them but more and more came out of the tents. It was very chaotic. In the end, they overwhelmed me and killed Imoen and Jaheira. With the rest of my characters, I retreated.

At this point, I woke up and was extremely relieved that I didn't actually lose my thief and healer.

I didn't make this up, this was actually a dream I had. :P
    edited March 2013
    Haha, well. I guess I'll be extra-cautious when I'll next play the game, if that counts. Not much of a special ability, though.
    bengoshi said:

With the party consisting of Dorn, Vicky, Edwin and Baeloth you're butt-kicking for evilness;)

That's a strong party, all of them are powerful NPCs indeed.

Good luck with you run! Smiles everyone smiles, this is like some great fantasy.

Well, Vicky's gone now...stupid wyverns. So I'm going to go ahead and push forward and try to grab Yeslick before I get into too much trouble. He'll also balance out the party, so I guess I'll be butt-kicking for...neutral? :)
    Alas, Gareth is no more. After clearing the first level of the mines, the party attempted to rest in order to allow their new companion, Yeslick, to catch his breath and tend his wounds. Unfortunately, a wandering patrol of 10 (!) guards showed up and so the group tried to escape downstairs. Mistake. Another group of roughly 10, this time with hobgoblin elite archers, awaited and managed to poison Yeslick and the 2 mages. With these 3 compromised, the combined groups made short work of the rest of the party. Thus ends the tale of Gareth. :(
    @forktheworld - Yeah resting anywhere in the mines is likely to bring fairly strong resistance and it will generally be in the form of whatever is found near that spot - my favorite place to rest is in the room just before the final level - the spawns are usually hobgoblins and more manageable than some altho sometimes I have had to take out 3 or 4 groups before completing our nap-

I try to set up the party in some sort of defensive position before resting as well which sometimes works sometimes they spawn right on top of us.

Nice run anyway - just getting to Cloakwood in a no reload game is an accomplishment - getting there is this 75 roll no rez version even more so - congrats!
    @forktheworld Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I have kinda decided that when I get to the Cloakwood Mines I will not rest anywhere except outside. I know from my previous playthroughs (even though I've never actually done a no-reload one) that resting down there can be extremely dangerous.
    Hello, nice have a new face here. Keep using ranged weapons and don't get cocky and you might make it. I'm actually currently running Thorry Tallcrippler now, he's just lost Jaheira and Xzar... Don't make the same mistake lol
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Sound Fun!

I will create a dwarf, dwarven defender if I meets the requirement or berserker maybe, something like that.

Old Wacko
    16, 16, 16, 9, 9, 9
    We had a successful run through the mines... then things got... complicated.

Greywolf down - check

Paying respects to Khalid where we dropped him off previously

Imoen and Dorn are down for a heist

The mines weren't too bad, good thing Imoen was paying attention though
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

I debated if I wanted to do this fight, but in the end could not resist.

Minsc takes a hit, but Neera gets a nice sleep off.
    imageimage

Minsc couldn't chug fast enough.

This isn't a good development.

Too slow... they woke up!

It just gets worse from here...

And thus ended Sophia's adventure. I didn't get a final screenshot, I thought I had this battle until they woke up. I'll probably do this again.