Skip to content

powergaming party (BG2 TOB,NPC and multiplayer)

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Scarlet-Ninja-to is the best off-hand weapon, since it gives +1 APR as well as higher damage and poison. (which is to say, it is better than Belm or Kundane in the same role). Celestial Fury is a good main-hander for SoA, but by late ToB you won't be able to hurt stuff with it, and getting an extra APR with your awesome main-hand is better than 1 APR with CF in your off-hand.
    [Deleted User]Klorox
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited April 2013
    The APR weapons are nothing short of amazing. As Eudaemonium pointed out, SNT is the best of them, and severely hampered by its Monk-only restriction. The weapons are so good in fact, that I think it's worth it to have a thief just to be able to use SNT. The damage added through the extra attack is simply too good to pass up! It also fits well with my usual 5-party setup: 3x dual-wield with +APR offhands, 1x 2h (inquisitor), 1x cleric (can't use APR offhands anyway).
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    omg i am sorry i went full retarded on this
    edited April 2013
    my new team would look like this (after considering whole thread)
    F/M/T half-elf - 100dmg with backstab + jan's armor + tank with hla
    Kensai13/Mage - i think everyone know why kensai/mage
    berserker13/cleric - healer with berserk (barb15/cleric if mods)
    ranger/cleric - for druid spells
    Kensai13/Mage
    inquisitor
    Post edited by zur312 on
    Why the two clerics? You really think you need that many buffs? Also, I'm not a big fan of a triple-class character in a full party; you'll end up gimping your levels significantly, at little benefit.

Why the two clerics? You really think you need that many buffs? Also, I'm not a big fan of a triple-class character in a full party; you'll end up gimping your levels significantly, at little benefit.

actually i dunno about this ranger/cleric are druidic spells that good?

f/m/t i think is part power part nostalgic with my first play of bg2

he is still very good and i want/need thief and only option i can see is fighter/thief but he lacks spell defense
    Druid spells are quite good; the questions is, do you want them at the expense of Berserker Rage/grandmastery. It's not an easy decision to be sure, but I think that you can't really accommodate two clerics in a powergaming setup.

Same for the FMT - nostalgia is fine, but it has no place in a powergaming discussion. I'm also not sure what you mean by "spell defense"; the only thing I regularly use is Spell Immunity, and afaik mages can cast that on anyone, not just themselves. Do you often find yourself using things like Spell Trap etc.?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    You don't need 6 tanks, just one if we're talking powergaming.

Same for the FMT - nostalgia is fine, but it has no place in a powergaming discussion. I'm also not sure what you mean by "spell defense"; the only thing I regularly use is Spell Immunity, and afaik mages can cast that on anyone, not just themselves. Do you often find yourself using things like Spell Trap etc.?

spell defense - mirror image stone skin pfmw etc. i think they are quite good
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    zur312 said:

my new team would look like this (after considering whole thread)
    F/M/T half-elf - 100dmg with backstab + jan's armor + tank with hla
    ranger/cleric - for druid spells
    Kensai13/Mage
    inquisitor

with this at some point you'll end up with

lvl1 mage
    lvl1 cleric
    lvl1 mage
    lvl12 inquisitor
    9/11/11 f/m/t
    10/10 ranger/cleric

as your party, that's going to be hard going for a LONG while. i'd swap the b->c for a c/i. you already have 3 tanks, do you need another? this way you keep your cleric abilities and add even more arcane firepower
    claudius
    1 lvl mage and others will level up really fast for few levels and i might just stack done quest experience for that part
    I don't know where people get the idea from that a K->M is a "tank". Yes it has great defense, but they only serve to reinforce the offensive potential. Also, this game has no real "tanking" mechanics, so being able to soak up incidental damage is never a bad thing. And in the case of K->M at least it certainly doesn't come at the expense of potential damage.

As for the issue of dual classes being low level at some point - there are ways to deal with that. Mass-scribing of scrolls, saving up of certain quest rewards, high-xp areas, etc. Keep in mind this is a powergaming discussion, min/maxing of that sort is a given.

I do agree though that a F/M/T in a full party is not ideal, unless your setup has so much XP available that you can get all classes to high levels. But in the vast majority of games, you just won't have enough. The larger the party, the less multi-class characters you will want. Rule of thumb: count a multi-class character's single classes as individual characters, and stay at max. 6 of those (e.g. 4 single/dual + 1 x/x multi; or 3 single/dual + 1 x/x/x multi; or 2 single/dual and 2 x/x multi; etc.)
    edited April 2013
    F/T dwarf - backstab + jan's armor + tank with hla + conc + shorty bonuses of dwarf
    Kensai13/Mage
    inquisitor

looking good

it is pretty similar to last one but removed the weird things
    the actuall underpower class looks to be inquisitor for the moment LOL but dispell is priceless so I wan't get ride of him
    F/T dwarf is actually not the most powerfull because berserker21-23/thief or kensai21-23/thief with hla could be better with grandmastery, more damage, berserk ...

oh can someone tell me the potential damage of kensai with bonuses etc.? (no crit)

this team could work with npc (almost)
    f/t dwarf no fighter/thief npc in bg2
    kensai/mage no kensai/mage npc in bg2 lol
    anomen
    keldorn
    The value of an inquistor varies greatly with your setup. I personally find them extremely useful to avoid major frustration in the early game, when saves are low and a missed save = death for the entire party (e.g. on the city ambushes with mages casting Hold). Later on their dispel is still good, but their most used ability becomes True Sight (freeing lvl 6 spell slots for mages = more Improved Haste). Carsomyr is also a pretty sick weapon.

Thieves also vary greatly; if your mods allow backstabbing all the way to the end of ToB, then I guess using that is the most effective damage output (especially combined with cheese like Mislead or Staff of the Magi). But especially with the more difficult mod setups, that just doesn't work due to immunity.
    edited April 2013
    maybe you can remember kensai damage? or is it only +x/3lvl? that would not be that great
    It's +1 per three levels.
    +1 to hit/damage per 3 levels
    -1 to speed factor per 4 levels
    1 Kai per 4 levels (starting with 1 at lvl1)
    so kensai on level 13 is only 4 dmg better than regual fighter damagewise? that is not huge difference.
    edited April 2013
    It's not bad, and better than being a regular fighter. Also the damage is afaik multiplied by STR bonuses etc.
    edited April 2013
    It's not just dmg they get. Anyway the disagvantages of Kensai don't count for much on a mage dual - that's the point.
    i know kensai is made for dualing into mages

i think there are no multipliers in str but plain +dmg
    ?
    Afaik the bonuses are added before the damage is multiplied by STR bonuses, meaning they add quite a substantial amount. Either way though, as FinneousPJ said, it's basically a bonus with no trade-off.
    but str multiplayers are in IWD2 not bg2?
    I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I do seem to recall that it mattered. Again, though, even if it doesn't - the damage is essentially free.
    edited April 2013
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18123/how-melee-damage-works
    my assumptions on damage were correct (str=flat dmg bonus)
    still kensai has the biggest natural modifier to dmg
  • The_Shairs_HandbookThe_Shairs_Handbook Member Posts: 219
    ehumm...

Transmuter Charname
    Safana
    Safana clone
    Safana clone number 2
    Safana clone number 3
    Safana clone number 4
    Safana clone number 5

BHAHAHAHAHA... My... my preciouuuuuus....

okey okey for real it would look like this

Transmuter Charname (T.N aligment)
    Safana (crossbow)
    Shar-Teel (damage dealer)
    Viconia (healer)
    Yeslick (tank and extra healer, gloves of dex)
    Coran
    Why Transmuter? It has always been my impression that mages aren't very good in BG1.
    edited April 2013

Why Transmuter? It has always been my impression that mages aren't very good in BG1.

no particall reason... i like playing mages as charname...and transmution school does less hurt... than the other speciallty wizard...
    This thread is about powergaming :) "I like it" has no place here. Please stay on topic!
    edited April 2013
    well thats how i powerplay it...
    I see Transmution class as the op wizard to play

Transmuter Charname (T.N aligment) (best specialty mage to choose from) or chose fighter/mager/thief
    Safana (crossbow)
    Shar-Teel (damage dealer)
    Viconia (healer)
    Yeslick (tank and extra healer, gloves of dex)
    Coran