Skip to content

Fights You Dislike the Most

Comments

• redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Greater wyverns.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653

Mage fights in BG2 can be trying. At the start, all their defenses go up so it's a few rounds of removing them. But sometimes their defenses are boosted again mid-way through the fight... then it's a few more rounds of removing them. I almost always have a PC thief who can detect illusions, because it helps remove lots of effects.

Jan Jansen has special glasses that give him 90 percent detect illusions from the start, and you can get him up to 100 at his first thief level-up, if you don't want to have to do the detect illusions with your PC. He gets more handy-dandy thief bonuses from his special equipment, and he can cast mage spells while wearing his special leather armor. I'm a huge Jan Jansen fan.

On the topic, I especially hate lich battles and dragon battles, the battle with the Reaver, and the vanilla battle against Mel. Eye tyrants with their Imprison also give me grief. And illithids. Pretty much everything in the final act of SoA and all of ToB, actually.

In BG1, it's Karoug and the final battle with Sarevok that I dread. Daveaorn can be pretty scary too, with that Ligthning-Fireball-Dire Charm-Monster Summoning script of his. Everything in Durlag's Tower, and sirens.

I guess I've got a lot more than just one "hated" monster to fight in a complete run.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    wow, i truly like dragon battles, as well reaver battle as well, and i enjoy a lot sarevok's final battle.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Skeletons are too much trouble and few XP.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @DJKajuru Once you get Fireball, Skull Trap, or Glyph of Warding fights like that don't last long =3
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    GemHound said:

I don't really like killing the Beholder in the Black Pits. Not because he's hard to kill or it's an annoying fight, but because we got along so well until then. Ok, he's trolling me before the Shadow Thief fight (or is it a bug that he specifically tells me I fight undead and should focus on divine magic?), but other than that, his insights are valuable. I don't like killing nice people like him.

You are actually fighting Night Knives which are all Vampires. So yes, they are undead.
    O.o That's news to me. They don't react to turn undead, I can hit them with Hold Person and there is no level drain... What's the use of a cleric in that fight then, beyond the things a cleric would do in any other fight?

• LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    Fighting xvarts. Xvarts are just in the way, they can’t do much damage or really anything, but they still have to be fought. They’re just plain boring.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324

I hate fights that I can only ever win by resorting to cheese. So it is Sirines that I dislike the most. If I try fighting them straight I always end up with half my party getting dire charmed and the other half running away from them.

Sirines aren't too bad. Dead easy if you've got Minsc, or the Helmet of Charm Protection. A bit more challenging without, but sending in summons to absorb their charm spells works fantastic.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I hate equipping the vampiric sword to heal my party up... Then forgetting to turn off the AI and end up with my whole party in bits...

But you gotta love Kagain.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    There is one particular Dead Magic room on the maze level in Watcher's Keep where you have to fight a bunch of Fiends using their innate ability to cause fear. There are also traps in the room before all four portals. Being unable to cast Remove Fear, and any buffs cast before entering being disabled, I usually end us with half my party running around like headless chickens setting off traps, while the others are trying to hold back a bunch of fiends. Grrrrrr......
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507

Fighting xvarts. Xvarts are just in the way, they can’t do much damage or really anything, but they still have to be fought. They’re just plain boring.

Yes. I hate wiping out the Xvart village. If I'm playing a Good Charname it feels like a massacre and is very distasteful. I've done it a just because I know that there is a magic halberd just beyond the village. It is difficult in a crpg to get a good balance between meta gaming and role playing.

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    franco said:

Yes. I hate wiping out the Xvart village. If I'm playing a Good Charname it feels like a massacre and is very distasteful. I've done it a just because I know that there is a magic halberd just beyond the village. It is difficult in a crpg to get a good balance between meta gaming and role playing.

I don't know, I sort of like ripping through the Xvart village.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited April 2013

GemHound said:

I don't really like killing the Beholder in the Black Pits. Not because he's hard to kill or it's an annoying fight, but because we got along so well until then. Ok, he's trolling me before the Shadow Thief fight (or is it a bug that he specifically tells me I fight undead and should focus on divine magic?), but other than that, his insights are valuable. I don't like killing nice people like him.

You are actually fighting Night Knives which are all Vampires. So yes, they are undead.
    O.o That's news to me. They don't react to turn undead, I can hit them with Hold Person and there is no level drain... What's the use of a cleric in that fight then, beyond the things a cleric would do in any other fight?

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg2/character/classes/tables/turnundead.shtml
    Right from PlanetBaldur'sGate, which was right from 2e AD&D.

Wait, they are not vampires, but are not human either. I would guess they would be "Special" then.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Night_Knives
  • LapaLapa Member Posts: 73
    BG1: ettercaps, spiders, everything that poisons you
    BG2: beholders are quite nasty with their rays (without the shield of balduran)
    ToB: draconis is maybe the hardest dragonbattle in the whole saga and very frustrating opponent
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Lapa I agree with the Poison thing. Which is why I love playing a Cavalier so much. Immune to sooo many unfun things. =3
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited April 2013
    GemHound said:

GemHound said:

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg2/character/classes/tables/turnundead.shtml
    Right from PlanetBaldur'sGate, which was right from 2e AD&D.

Wait, they are not vampires, but are not human either. I would guess they would be "Special" then.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Night_Knives
    Hm, still quite misleading to give a hint "use a cleric", if any other hint would be more useful. I did try to find a strategy that puts more emphasis on divine magic (because I trust the Beholder, he's my friend), but nothing worked better than what I usually do. Not saying the cleric was useless, but the most useful "cleric" was a druid casting web. So yeah, thanks for the hint anyway. :D

Edit: According to Bug Reports, this is indeed a bug and the Beholder isn't supposed to give that hint.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited April 2013
    BG & TotSC/BG: EE: -Firewine Ruins, because of the stupid kobolds respawning ERRYWHERE. Those things are sooo lucky that fireball doesn't function like in AD&D 1E, where it'd fill up the remaining volume of a chamber if there isn't enough room for it to do its thing.
    -Ogre Mage Assassins. They were too easy. :| Sure, my character would be frozen to the bone if the fight were P&P, but whenever I fight these dudes in BG, I'm like, "Alright, hun, see that cute girl who keeps summoning birds by accident, and the redhead/flamboyant elf/loud gnome? They trained their wands on you and your buddies the minute you started threatening me. Now do you get the power dynamic? Oh, wanna get cute?". And then a few rounds later, I'm a couple of experience points richer, and Vaprak gets some new petitioners! We all come out ahead!

BG II: SoA: Those guys who jump you in the Sewers. Mind, I just root and cloudkill, but still.
    -Some of the mage fights in the Planar Sphere are less-than-endearing... Abi-Dalzim's horrid wilting in my face.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @the_spyder
    Did you mean "badly" in the same terms Viconia understands this word? The fights you talk about... personally I like them!
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    DJKajuru said:

Skeletons are too much trouble and few XP.

I dislike this too.

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Senash said:

I hate the illithid city. It is by far my least favorite part of both games.

Seconded. I remeber that I actually stopped two playthroughs there (not planned stop, just didn't get back to it for a very long time, than decided to do a new one instead) becasue I just didn't want to do those fights.
    I don't see (anymore) the problem with Ilithids.

Chaotic Commands is almost mandatory for these fights.

With this spell, you'll only have to watch your intelligence stats as it is lowered 5 by 5 when you are hit.

other weapons like Lilacor, Carsomyr, Equalizers Blade of Psion make these fights very easy.

In BG1, Khark always does my head in, because of his cheesy shields and punishing spells.

Also, anything involving Vampires. Level drain is the nastiest crap.

With a well placed magic dispell and magic arrows (or orgre arrows if it work - I have never tried), you can do a very short work of him.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited April 2013
    There's a tactic to defeat any enemy, although as @Permidion_Stark suggested above (here) (more or less), if you play the game according to a no-meta-gaming approach+role-played, then some fights can be very difficult.

The sirines is a very good example indeed. Unless a party member has relatively high Lore, would they be able to identify that these lovely creatures are sirines? Safana might, from having sailed with pirates. (This is the sort of thing that in my games, when it seems plausible, I roll dice to determine.) But I think it's safe to say that Minsc wouldn't. Etc.

So then, tactically speaking, that fight becomes a different kettle of fish. And that's at least in the same vein as what I think Stark was getting at with the reference to avoiding using cheese tactics.

But otherwise, in a garden variety game where one meta-games and/or uses cheese... I'm trying to think of some, but they all pose a fun challenge in their own way... and the ones that are hard, I tend to appreciate for the fact that they are harder... not coming up with anything, though...

The ones I fear the most are when playing a no-reload game and I lack the ideal resources to combat are any enemy that casts Hold or Horror. Then I'm praying that I can use a missile wand, timed just right, to disrupt the enemy caster at each spellcasting attempt. So that would be foes like Tarnseh, Nimbul, and Neira, early in the game.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Cloakwoods ambushes I hate them!

Second used to be Firewine but I just stopped doing it except:

Scooting down the hobbit hole to the ogre mage and his nearby minions - in and out and usually no one gets hurt!
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    The amazon bounty hunters after you leave the Nashkel Mines. At the time my party is mostly level ones with one or two level twos, and those magic arrows and darts hurt. A LOT. I know a Stinking Cloud would make the fight so much easier but I can never find or afford one. Anything else I can handle.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318

The amazon bounty hunters after you leave the Nashkel Mines. At the time my party is mostly level ones with one or two level twos, and those magic arrows and darts hurt. A LOT. I know a Stinking Cloud would make the fight so much easier but I can never find or afford one. Anything else I can handle.

You know, one of the spell scrolls that is dropped just prior to that encounter (or found in a chest to be specific) is one that I rarely use, but I had forgotten how it works--and it makes all the difference for that fight, provided that you have an arcane caster for it:

I had forgotten that Web results in Hold Person intermittently in addition to keeping targets rooted to their position. That at least makes their ability to attack or spellcast sporadic. And that, in turn, grants the opportunity to cast disabling spells upon them such as Blindness, Charm Person, Command, and Doom (or Glitterdust and Horror if your casters have level 2 spells). They are then easy pickins for ranged weapons. In sum, Web makes this fight a comparative cakewalk to what it is without it.

Again, why would you (amongst other) want to fight them when you're obviously underpowered compared with them at this moment of the game ? You are not forced to do so when you exit the mine ;-)