Skip to content

Why purchase the BG: EE over the GOG version?

Comments

• RyknRykn Member Posts: 30
    But up all the Baldur's Gate! No really. I have an updated physical copy of the Baldur's gates to replace the originals that died, Both GoG versions, and now I'm gonna buy the enhanced versions as well starting with this pre-order! Let's be honest Overhaul games, GoG, they are all deserving of your money. They were of mine.
  • KatohKatoh Member Posts: 2
    Well Trent Tweeted that they are going to keep supporting the game after it's release, so I'm hoping that they'll bring us new DLC.
    Either way I have recently lost my respect for Bioware and EA, but these are the guys that made a few of my favorite games of all time. Therefore I'm going to trust them to deliver.
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    mch202 said:

Weather effects? LIke a -1 Thaco due to cold and snow? =)

Thats Weahter affect, not effect... :-p

When you correct someone at least do it correctLY...
    I dislike this kind of post altogether. This is a game forum not a college thesis.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    lol
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    sorry, I need to find a new online dictionary... I confused between weather *Visual* effect and the effect itself, thought that there is another word to describe it and the online dictionary betrayed be. just dont hang me.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Here is my two cents on this. I am buying the game for iPad, and I'll no doubt pay for all the extra content as well, as this is the only version of BG available for iPad it's a bit of a no brainer as to why it's worth it to me.
    I have played the PC version of the game as well, and while you can argue that a game as good as the EE can be put together using GOG and mods for a cheaper price, I'm just not the sort of person who likes to mess around with mods, I'm not very computer literate. So a bug fixed version of BG on a faster engine with more content seems well worth it to me over what is just a port of the old game from GOG.
    edited July 2012
    @mch202 I also apologize for calling you out like that, it was rude of me. I really like the level of maturity on this forum and I don't like to see it being disrupted.

The battle.net forums have made me a jaded and angry soul haha

anyway, lets try to #stayontopic
    although I think this is a dead horse...
    Post edited by Lediath on
  • TomykTomyk Member Posts: 4
    For me as a pc player the final and ultimate experience was weidu baldurs gate trilogy with widescreen and fan made bug fixes... that itself is an overhaul like hell and doesn't need any more improvements - and its FREE. Makers of this overhaul should have factored that into price... 20 bucks for minor added content is just crazy... I would have been willing to pay 35 bucks for entire new adventure in the old bg2 engine. Thats what they should have done instead doing whats already been done. Did they even run some reasearch into modding scene? Owners of other platforms will most likely appreciate this but pc players will just waste money on something they can get for free...
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Tomyk
    That's actually not free, you do have to buy the original BG games to experience.

But to the case in point, you might not see a difference between a heavily modded BGT and BGEE, but it is there. I know that BGEE will play better than a modded BGT.
    Tanthalas said:

I know that BGEE will play better than a modded BGT.

@Tanthalas
    Could you please elaborate on this point? I'd like to know exactly what some of the improvements are :)

@Lediath

For one the ability to zoom will allow you to play BG at high resolution displays without shrinking everything. BGEE will also not have loading screens because it actually loads fast. And both of these will be enabled "out-of-box" without having to mod anything.

You might think that they're superficial improvements, but they are there.
    @Tanthalas
    Knew about the zooming, not such a big deal for me, but perhaps I'll change my mind when I actually get my hands on it.

The "not have loading screens" thing is actually brand new information to me, and I have to say AWESOME. One of the things I hate is waiting to play the game rather than just playing the game. I just want to clarify... does this mean that when you go from one area to another area, it will just instantly load!?!
  • SixSix Member Posts: 33
    From what I gather the BGEE will have improvements to the game engine itself. Said engine have most likely caught curses from everyone who has ever made a mod for BG and in turn caused issues for mod players because once in awhile solid scripts don't fire off as they should.
    Since you'd need to mod BGT to reach the same quality as BGEE but still have engine issues when unlucky it should be well worth the money if you love the game. 1-2 play troughs and then forget the game I'd say go for GoG.
    @Lediath

Not all transitions are instantaneous, you'll notice a stutter, but they're fast enough for actual loading screens to not make sense.
    Tanthalas said:

Not all transitions are instantaneous, you'll notice a stutter, but they're fast enough for actual loading screens to not make sense.

that's incredible... looking forward to it :)

• technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    I'm still waiting on these BGEE-exclusive engine improvements to be given.
    @technophobe

We've had this conversation before that you then proceeded to ignore.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @Tanthalas- no loading screens is new info for me also and i was wondering what will happen with that a few times. i agree it is EXCELLENT news!

can't wait to have loading screen-less transition from one map to another. yay!
    @trinit

Just bear in mind that you will still notice a stutter when transitioning between some areas.
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    I'd rather a stutter than huge load times, I'm pumped!
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @Tanthalas no problem with that whatsoever. i'm sure it will beat shy-virgin like progress of the old bar. :)
  • TreyolenTreyolen Member Posts: 235
    If there are no loading screens where will I get my wonderful tips?
    Treyolen said:

If there are no loading screens where will I get my wonderful tips?

;_; I don't think the loading screen tutorials are all that necessary as long as the tutorial section is beefed up a bit.

• morgy321morgy321 Member Posts: 36
    i am just happy and 20 bucks is no a big deal for me even with all my exspeces i can fit in 20 bucks for this game
    As a family of 2 adults and 5 kids with only 1 income stream, I'm really happy, I only get 5 dollars pocket money off my wife per two weeks.... And I'm the one that earns it! Lol

As a family of 2 adults and 5 kids with only 1 income stream, I'm really happy, I only get 5 dollars pocket money off my wife per two weeks.... And I'm the one that earns it! Lol

you sayin' your wife doesn't "earn" it!!!??? =P jkjk
    5 kids... wow *applause*
    @Lediath ROFL!!! Well when u put it that way.... She earn it!!! We have a TV now so with a bit of luck we'll stop... Just depends on what we watch on the tv!!!;)
    In all seriousness, that's quite admirable of you to spend two months of your personal disposable income on BGEE. You're a much more dedicated fan of the series than I am :)

#ontopic clearly BGEE is worth every penny to the hardcore fans
  • thepermtheperm Member Posts: 23
    you must gather your party before venturing forth
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    My kids understand that dad needs BGEE more than they need underwear.