Skip to content

Sword Coast Stratagems is now available for BG:EE and BGII:EE

Comments

• DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823

Hi ..can you tell me if the DC for carsomyrs dispel is decent or really low which means none existand on bosses?

DC is a 3rd edition concept; no such thing for 2E. IIRC it's a straight save for unupgraded Carsomyr, some level of penalty for improved Carsomyr.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    DavidW said:

SirK8 said:

Does this mod improve the Black Pits AI?

No.
    Awww too bad... any plans?

Also, I'm enjoying this mod so far. I did run into one strange occurrence though. When fighting Zordral at the Nashkel fair, he just casts mirror image then runs around like he doesn't know what to do. IRC in vanilla he casts horror and presented a more difficult challenge.
  • kybishopkybishop Member Posts: 4
    Any chance we'll see an update to the Mac OS X version? Looks like it's still held back at v21. Thanks!
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @DavidW - I got an infinite spawn with Mulahay. When he was near death he just kept triggering his line to summon minions over and over. The save I attached is just before I went in to fight him. It occurred even on a reload. I picked the option where he lets me get to the chest before he goes hostile.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    @DavidW, I am going to assume that the Mac version will not be ready, haha. OR is it possible to use the Windows one and change the WeiDU for the Mac version? (I assume not).
    Scratch that. I didn't realise the windows version was an .exe file. =)
    edited November 2013
    There is now a new version that should fix the language problems people have been having with the autoinstaller, and which fixes the Mulahey-spawn problem.

@Eudaemonium: I've packaged an OSX version, but (i) I can't test it, so I can't guarantee it works; (ii) it hasn't got an autoinstaller, for the same reason.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    If I want to make sure all players on a multiplayer run have the same SCS options do I simply need to copy across the two SCS folders that get created into their game?
    No, it's more complicated than that. You need to copy over the override and also the dialog files. (I don't really recommend this way of doing things; better just to install the mod the same way on both.)
    SirK8 said:

DavidW said:

SirK8 said:

Does this mod improve the Black Pits AI?

No.
    Awww too bad... any plans?
    Not until I get a chance to play BP myself unmodded, which won't realistically happen for a while.
    Okay cool - thanks for clarifying.
    DavidW said:

There is now a new version that should fix the language problems people have been having with the autoinstaller, and which fixes the Mulahey-spawn problem.

Eudaemonium: I've packaged an OSX version, but (i) I can't test it, so I can't guarantee it works; (ii) it hasn't got an autoinstaller, for the same reason.

@DavidW: Can we install it like the older Mac versions using just the normal Mac WeiDU? (I think, I confess I installed it back in June and not since the latest patch). That seemed to work before, though I think it messed up occasionally.
    It actually ships with a copy. I *think* you just need to unrar the file and, if it doesn't run automatically, run setup-stratagems.
    It's a pipe dream I know but would it be possible to create a file which remembers the install options you have chosen for easy future installs? Even better if it could interact with the install process to automatically select the same options again.
    Basically no. I'm not interested enough in the autoinstall to put significant amounts of work into it.
    That's a fair answer. Thanks for your work on getting this ready in time for BG2 - really appreciate it as do many many others.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @decado The WeiDU.log file contains your choices in both WeiDU and human readable form. You just have to make a backup of it for reference if you want to install again the same things the next time. That's how I usually proceed.

Someone created a tool that seems to match what you are looking for. Feel free to try it.
    Good stuff, thanks for that!

With the advent of easy multiplayer I'm more concerned with being compatible with other users as I assume different installs of any mod can mess things up?
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    Hi It's been a while since I last played BG but I recently picked it up and installed SCS and I was a little bit surprise by some of the extreme difficulty and some impossible situation this mod put me through... My party is more than adequate I think but I keep getting ambushed by TONS of bandits and other creatures, some of them regularly appearing out of the shadows and one shotting their way through my group and let's face it, I can't do much about that...

And when it's not backstab, its just plain overwhelming spawns with nothing else to do than watch my computer trying to keep up while I die (I had like 50 bandits + named + hobgoblins in the bandits camp at the same time !). I'm not sure if it's intended cause with a level 4-5 party, I'm not even sure getting rid of that much enemies is even possible oO

I must be getting old cause I don't remember that much enemies and difficulty when I was playing with scs a few years back...

Other than that, the mod brings great stuff and I can always uninstall some of the components but It's just seems weird to me so I'm asking here before doing anything else =)

• DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    neoesprit said:

And when it's not backstab, its just plain overwhelming spawns with nothing else to do than watch my computer trying to keep up while I die (I had like 50 bandits + named + hobgoblins in the bandits camp at the same time !). I'm not sure if it's intended cause with a level 4-5 party, I'm not even sure getting rid of that much enemies is even possible oO

Yeah, that fight is great. Having the entire camp emptying towards you is what should happen if you decided to attack a bandit camp.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited November 2013
    Dexter said:

neoesprit said:

Yeah, that fight is great. Having the entire camp emptying towards you is what should happen if you decided to attack a bandit camp.
    Agreed, this fight needs to be near impossible in SCS. I never got to kill all of them and win that way. But it makes sense. You're supposed to play smart and infiltrate the camp, then the fights become easy because you killed all the leaders in the tent.

Actually i was a bit surprised though that the bandits didn't come all at the same time when i got out of the tent. I think it worked that way before in SCS, but i may be wrong.
    In my actual run i got out of the tent, and some of the bandits (the hobgoblins mostly) were left in their corner and i had to chase them because they were not all turned hostile.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited November 2013
    @DavidW
    I'm not sure if this is a bug but i should mention it : Davaeorn didn't drop the stoneskin scroll he was supposed to drop. The fight with him was really big and took a while : i know he casted a second stoneskin during it, but i didn't checked if it was from the scroll or not.

My point is : are the mages supposed to cast spells from scrolls that are considered loot items ? If so, then it's all right, though i suppose it could be not cool in Bg2 to miss some potent spells that way (i think some of the spells can only be looted on corpses, but i might be mistaken).
    Also i'm really ok with mages casting spells with scrolls (i got a silenced mage forced to do that and it was great) but i was thinking some of their loot couldn't be used. I guess i was wrong ?

I love the Davaeorn fight in new SCS by the way : he started by casting a stinking cloud / web sequencer that was awesome. Also the battle horrors are now placed just before the fight and it's also a good idea.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Not sure if this is SCS related or not. When I load in BG2EE I lose bonuses from helm of balduran, and maybe all magic items as I have yet to check. Somebody else did not experience the same. Could somebody with SCS look into replicating that? Just equip, check your stats, and reload to see if they changed back.
    SCS doesn't touch that item, so I'd be pretty surprised if it's SCS-specific.
    edited November 2013
    Thank u for reply David. Maybe that person got lucky. When I get home I would like to post my save for somebody to check. Or maybe somebody else will experience the same. Perhaps we could get a fight/thief to see if the class is the problem as thieves don't wear helmets but fighter/thief can and maybe it doesn't realize this when u load?

Edit: if nobody check I will try it on Minsc when I get home
    @decado: I've realised that just installing the same choices in SCS on each computer in a MP session isn't quite enough, as there are various random choices made at install time.

To get around this, before installing edit "stratagems.ini", in the "stratagems" folder, with a text editor. Find the line "god_does_not_play_dice 0" and change it to "god_does_not_play_dice 1".
    Thanks @DavidW. It may be worth dropping that in the notes of SCS as MP will hopefully become much more frequently played.
  • KratokKratok Member Posts: 42
    We had quite some trouble playing with SCS in BG2EE in a 3 player multiplayer game. We didn't know about the whole random thing though, but chose the same choices otherwise. Went through the Irenicus dungeon but then realized it was too buggy to continue with, so we uninstalled it. A bit too afraid to try it out with the randomness thing disabled at this point, we'll just wait it out for now.

Here are some issues we ran into, again might be caused by the randomness thing, and not necessarily by SCS at all:
    - The NPC's kept saying "Gregor" (the name of the Bhaalspawn) at the end of most lines.
    - The Genie in the locked portal area didn't spawn after using the lamp.
    - Two of the three players always crashed when leaving the dungeon, and Imoen didn't disappear after the cutscene.

Anyway I can't really recommend it in multiplayer at the moment, at least the randomness MUST be disabled.
    Kratok said:

We had quite some trouble playing with SCS in BG2EE in a 3 player multiplayer game. We didn't know about the whole random thing though, but chose the same choices otherwise. Went through the Irenicus dungeon but then realized it was too buggy to continue with, so we uninstalled it. A bit too afraid to try it out with the randomness thing disabled at this point, we'll just wait it out for now.

Here are some issues we ran into, again might be caused by the randomness thing, and not necessarily by SCS at all:
    - The NPC's kept saying "Gregor" (the name of the Bhaalspawn) at the end of most lines.
    - The Genie in the locked portal area didn't spawn after using the lamp.
    - Two of the three players always crashed when leaving the dungeon, and Imoen didn't disappear after the cutscene.

Anyway I can't really recommend it in multiplayer at the moment, at least the randomness MUST be disabled.

sounds interesting I would do it to keep imoen around :)
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 308
    Palanthis said:

Dexter said:

neoesprit said:

Agreed, this fight needs to be near impossible in SCS. I never got to kill all of them and win that way. But it makes sense. You're supposed to play smart and infiltrate the camp, then the fights become easy because you killed all the leaders in the tent.

Actually i was a bit surprised though that the bandits didn't come all at the same time when i got out of the tent. I think it worked that way before in SCS, but i may be wrong.
    In my actual run i got out of the tent, and some of the bandits (the hobgoblins mostly) were left in their corner and i had to chase them because they were not all turned hostile.
    I never realized that you're not supposed to assault the camp, so I've always hit it head-on with a 3rd to 4th level party, without (too much) difficulty. There are a ton of bandits but the majority of them aren't that dangerous: Sleep, Web and a few charges from the Necklace of Missiles will carry you through. As long as you kill Venkt as soon as he shows himself you're typically good.

On topic, I've got an issue installing the Smarter General AI component on BG2:EE. Clean install, no other mods. I'd post on the G3 forums, but I never get a mail after registering... error message as follows:

Applying kit/proficiency/script features to AKAE
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    This is Stratagems Scripting Language

Input file is stratagems/genai/ssl/dw#melee.ssl

Output file is stratagems_external\workspace\ssl_out/dw#melee.baf
    Copying 1 file ...
    Compiling 1 script ...

Failure Failure("AKAE.CRE: read out of bounds") in check_standard_function: inputs were func=opcode, arguments=
    Appending to files ...
    ERROR: [AKAE.CRE] -> [override/AKAE.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("AKAE.CRE: read out of bounds"))

I've attached the debug file (as .txt since the forum didn't want .debug), which says the same thing. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?