Skip to content

Sword Coast Stratagems is now available for BG:EE and BGII:EE

Comments

• KratokKratok Member Posts: 42
    More details on my previous post. We now played through the starting dungeon and watched the cutscene with Irenicus again without the mod, again with 3 players. We found out that out of the bugs I listed only the one with the Genie not spawning seems to be SCS-specific, and maybe it would be fixed with the setting.

The crash at the end of the dungeon is what seems to be duplicating Imoen and making the game keep her in the party, even without SCS. So it's just a multiplayer bug in BG2EE. The first issue we believe was a result of a somehow corrupted Bhaalspawn character.

So wrong alert, for the most part. :)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    I have exactly the same problem as @aldain with the same AKAE.CRE on a clean BG2EE install. I've tried all kinds of crefixers, poked at it with EEkeeper, removed it from overrides so it used the original, every time, same result for that component.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Okay, I'll try to look into it. It's possible there was a last-minute change to some file in the BGIIEE release that's confusing SCS. (It's also possible I just did something stupid at some point!)
  • YoAALYoAAL Member Posts: 3
    The party awaiting for you when you exit the Nashkell mines is nowhere to be found, it was my first time visiting my area and they were nowhere. SCS was installed on a clean install of BG:EE
    Excellent, then it's working correctly.
  • DrEastDrEast Member Posts: 113
    Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but found a bug in BG2EE with the "Vampyre" critter. He'd cast swarm of bats, which approaches my character like a swarm of insects, but upon contact crashes the game.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Is this bg2:ee compatible version? I failed at 'smarter ai installation'. I opened up a thread in G2 forum site. (user name Silverstar there)
  • keeperkeeper Member Posts: 67
    lunar said:

Is this bg2:ee compatible version? I failed at 'smarter ai installation'. I opened up a thread in G2 forum site. (user name Silverstar there)

same problem
  • WabashWabash Member Posts: 21
    At the end of the baldur´s island, i didn´t get the sea charts after peaceful resolution.
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 307
    edited November 2013
    OK, I did some more testing, don't know if it'll be helpful or not.

First, I repaired my BG2:EE install, just in case a file was bad or something. This cleaned everything to do with SCS.

Next, I ran stratagems.bat. I select to install EVERYTHING without multiple choices, and NOTHING with multiple choices. The same error occurs, but this time we get a little more info:

Applying kit/proficiency/script features to AKAE
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    [./override/thac0.2da] loaded, 16875 bytes
    Copied [thac0.2da] to [override/thac0.2da]
    Copying 1 file ...
    [stratagems_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#melee.baf] loaded, 113198 bytes
    Copied [stratagems_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#melee.baf] to [stratagems_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw2mm0ke.baf]
    Compiling 1 script ...
    [stratagems_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw2mm0ke.baf] loaded, 113198 bytes
    Processing 1 dialogues/scripts ...
    ERROR: illegal 4-byte read from offset 2144 of 1884-byte file AKAE.CRE

Failure Failure("AKAE.CRE: read out of bounds") in check_standard_function: inputs were func=opcode, arguments=
    [stratagems_external/workspace/sfo_warnings.txt] loaded, 1553 bytes
    Appending to files ...
    [stratagems_external/workspace/sfo_warnings.txt] loaded, 1553 bytes
    Appended text to [stratagems_external/workspace/sfo_warnings.txt]
    ERROR: [AKAE.CRE] -> [override/AKAE.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("AKAE.CRE: read out of bounds"))
    Stopping installation because of error.

Alright. Repair install again, SCS gets cleared out. Run stratagems.bat, install ONLY Initialize AI components and Smarter General AI.

Applying kit/proficiency/script features to AKAE
    [./override/thac0.2da] loaded, 16875 bytes
    Copied [thac0.2da] to [override/thac0.2da]
    Copying 1 file ...
    [stratagems_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#melee.baf] loaded, 113198 bytes
    Copied [stratagems_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#melee.baf] to [stratagems_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw2mm0ke.baf]
    Compiling 1 script ...
    [stratagems_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw2mm0ke.baf] loaded, 113198 bytes
    Processing 1 dialogues/scripts ...
    ERROR: illegal 4-byte read from offset 2144 of 1884-byte file AKAE.CRE

Failure Failure("AKAE.CRE: read out of bounds") in check_standard_function: inputs were func=opcode, arguments=
    [stratagems_external/workspace/sfo_warnings.txt] loaded, 97 bytes
    Appending to files ...
    [stratagems_external/workspace/sfo_warnings.txt] loaded, 97 bytes
    Appended text to [stratagems_external/workspace/sfo_warnings.txt]
    ERROR: [AKAE.CRE] -> [override/AKAE.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("AKAE.CRE: read out of bounds"))

My conclusion is I can't draw a conclusion, since I don't know how SCS works. If this is working for some people, it has to be some component installed previously that makes it so. That, or my version is somehow different from others, despite being downloaded from the same source.

I'll try and redownload BG2:EE in its entirety, and post again when I've tested SCS against that install.
    That is extremely helpful. Clean BGIIEE + Initialise + AI-initialise + Smarter-general-AI fails on your install. I'll see if I can reproduce that on mine.
    @aldain: I have now reproduced that pattern (Clean BGIIEE + Initialise + AI-initialise + Smarter-general-AI), and there is no crash. This is extremely strange. I don't see how it can reflect anything but a difference in file structure between different versions of BGII:EE - but that makes no sense either, so perhaps we're missing something.

Do you (or does anyone else who has had this problem - @Tsyrith ?) know how to export game files using Near Infinity? If so, could you zip and attach the file akae.cre? (preferably from your BGII:EE install prior to installing any of SCS).

I am also attaching a zipped copy of my version of AKAE, from the just-downloaded copy of BGII:EE I'm using. Try dropping it into the override after installing BGII:EE (you'll need to create it first) and then installing those SCS components.
    @aldain, @Tsyrith: one more thing you could helpfully do. (This is me trying to diagnose the problem, not fix your own install, I'm afraid.)

- start with a clean install of BGII:EE (just delete the override directory to more-or-less simulate this if you've already installed bits of SCS)
    - open stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2 with notepad or similar
    - find the bit (around line 82) that says

// BEGIN test DESIGNATED 0

Replace it with this:
    BEGIN test DESIGNATED 0 INCLUDE "%scsroot%/lib/ai_wrap.tph" LAF edit_creature STR_VAR creature=akae editstring="genai=>~all conditional fix_thac0~" END

- if there isn't a file called "setup-stratagems.exe" in the game folder, make a copy of weidu.exe and call it that.
    - run setup-stratagems-exe. Of all the components you're given to choose from, pick only "test".
    - tell me what happens.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    edited November 2013
    @DavidW This installed correctly

However the Smarter General AI component failed again on that AKAE.CRE you uploaded
    @DavidW
    I've attached my exported, unmodified AKAE.CRE after a fresh download of BG2:EE.

The test stops with an error:

Including file(s) hla.tph
    [stratagems/genai/hla.tph] loaded, 8698 bytes
    Copied [stratagems/genai/hla.tph] to [stratagems_external/workspace/hla.tph]
    ERROR: error loading [stratagems_external/workspace/instant_prebuff_spells.2da]

ERROR Installing [test], rolling back to previous state
    Unable to Unlink [stratagems_external/backup/stratagems/0/OTHER.0]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "stratagems_external/backup/stratagems/0/OTHER.0")
    [stratagems_external/backup/stratagems/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
    Will uninstall 18 files for [STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2] component 0.
    Restoring backed-up [stratagems_external/backup/stratagems/0/CHITIN.KEY]
    stratagems_external/backup/stratagems/0/CHITIN.KEY copied to CHITIN.KEY, 843510 bytes
    [./CHITIN.KEY] loaded, 843510 bytes
    [./CHITIN.KEY] 185 BIFFs, 59857 resources
    Uninstalled 18 files for [STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2] component 0.
    Unable to Unlink [stratagems_external/backup/stratagems/0/READLN.0]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "stratagems_external/backup/stratagems/0/READLN.0")
    Unable to Unlink [stratagems_external/backup/stratagems/0/READLN.0.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "stratagems_external/backup/stratagems/0/READLN.0.TEXT")
    ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "stratagems_external/workspace/instant_prebuff_spells.2da")
    Detailed error information can be found in the file SETUP-STRATAGEMS.DEBUG . For help troubleshooting installation problems, go to the Sword Coast Stratagems forum at forums.gibberlings3.net.
    Using Language [English]
    [English] has 1 top-level TRA files
    [stratagems/tra/english/english.tra] has 987 translation strings

I have attached the .debug file from the test as well.

Trying to install Initialise + AI-initialise + Smarter-general-AI on my clean downloaded BG2:EE results in the exact same error as before (to be expected, but I tried it just to be thorough).

Trying to install with the AKAE.CRE you provided in the override folder also results in the exact same error as before.
    @aldain

Okay, we're getting somewhere (but not somewhere straightforward). Your file is identical to mine; the problem isn't in AKAE.CRE itself. Could you try the test again, but create a blank file called "instant_prebuff_spells.2da" in the folder "stratagems_external/workspace"?

@lansounet: had you previously installed some parts of scs when you ran the test?
    DavidW said:

@aldain

Okay, we're getting somewhere (but not somewhere straightforward). Your file is identical to mine; the problem isn't in AKAE.CRE itself. Could you try the test again, but create a blank file called "instant_prebuff_spells.2da" in the folder "stratagems_external/workspace"?

@lansounet: had you previously installed some parts of scs when you ran the test?

Creating a blank file with that name results in the test passing successfully.
    edited November 2013
    @aldain: okay, let me know when you get bored of my demands! - but until then: can you do this:

(i) go back to start again
    (ii) delete the folder stratagems_external and all its subdirectories
    (iii) do your minimal install again (initialise- AI-initialise - general-AI)
    (iv) zip and attach the setup-stratagems.debug file, and also the copy of akae.cre in the override after running the install (which will have been modified by the first two components but not by the fails-to-install general AI)?
    DavidW said:

@aldain: okay, let me know when you get bored of my demands! - but until then: can you do this:

(i) go back to start again
    (ii) delete the folder stratagems_external and all its subdirectories
    (iii) do your minimal install again (initialise- AI-initialise - general-AI)
    (iv) zip and attach the setup-stratagems.debug file, and also the copy of akae.cre in the override after running the install (which will have been modified by the first two components but not by the fails-to-install general AI)?

I don't mind.. the sooner this is fixed, the sooner my SCS no-reload Conjurer can continue on into Amn.

I have attached the resulting files after having followed the steps you outlined.
    @aldain:

Got it. I can now reproduce the bug on my install.

It's a difference in WEIDU: something about WEIDU v235 is making the code crash. Somehow my local version was using WEIDU v234.

A quick-and-dirty solution is to downgrade to WEIDU v234 (at http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/WeiDU-Windows-234.zip; put weidu.exe into your game folder after downloading scs, and delete any copy of setup-stratagems.exe that's present). Obviously, though, there's some deeper issue here (and presumably Wisp didn't go from 234 to 235 without cause!) so I'll investigate further.
    Version 27 is now out, with two major changes.

1) most crucially, it should now install properly! Huge thanks for @aldain for helping me track down what eventually turned out to be a WEIDU version problem.
    2) I have disabled the "Improved Vampire" component; on BG2:EE installs it's causing some kind of animation-related crashes. I don't have time to track it down just yet so it seemed more sensible to deactivate it for now.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2013
    Any idea how to install on the Mac?
    I tried the BG1:EE way:
    [spoiler]

cd '/Applications/Baldur'\''s Gate - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00777/Baldur'\''s Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources/'
    then
    find stratagems -name '*.tp[ha]' -exec perl -pi -e 's/\r\n/\n/g' \{} \;
    Where the first command would be changed to
    cd ‘/Applications/Baldur'\''s Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources/'
    [/spoiler]
    But that doesn't work, I get the error
    -bash: ./setup-stratagems: Permission denied
    Very strange...
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Phyrax said:

Any idea how to install on the Mac?
    But that doesn't work, I get the error

-bash: ./setup-stratagems: Permission denied
    chmod +x ./setup-stratagems
  • AntignitionAntignition Member Posts: 23
    Having a problem with the "NPC's go to inns" component with Imoen. With most NPC's they give you their kickout dialogue, stay put, and then you speak to them again to send them to an inn.

In Imoen's case, you get the option to send her to an inn in her first dialogue with you after kicking her out; I don't know how relevant this is to the actual problem, though.

When I speak to her again I cannot get her to rejoin my party, I am only given the dialogue choice of which inn to send her to.

• SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    If I do a clean install of v27 can I load a game I saved with v25? or is it better for me to do an "upgrade" rather than clean install?
    @SirK8: saves should be fine, either way. Clean install is probably safer than upgrade, but either way, if you wasn't to keep the save then don't reinstall BG2 itself.
    Question. I had SCS installed, ran into some MP issues so removed SCS and reinstalled BGEE. However some of the save games I had already started still seem to have retained some elements of SCS - namely NPC starting locations.

Is this expected? Are NPC locations determined at the start of each game?
    Yes. (More accurately, they are stored in your save game itself.)
    That's fine, just caused me some confusion as I thought I was running a vanilla game and some things weren't as expected.

Are there any other changes which are stored on the savegame itself?