Skip to content

Give Viconia a better portrait for BGEE

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I'd prefer they left the BG1 portrait alone. It fits the style of the other portraits.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I'd like to have another Drow party member, btw. But this time, one with decent stats. Viconia was interesting, but horrible in fights. It was a pain trying to heal her with her 50% immunity to magic. :/

I'd like to have another Drow party member, btw. But this time, one with decent stats. Viconia was interesting, but horrible in fights. It was a pain trying to heal her with her 50% immunity to magic. :/

Wait, what? Viconia has awesome stats. She has 19 Dex. Put her in full plate and give her a tower shield and Ring of Protection +1 and boom, it's practically impossible for the average mook to hit her.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Ward said:

@Edvin The portrait you showed the fans made is better than the original, I agree with that. Who made it bro?

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/46134-portraits-edits-etc/page__view__findpost__p__532224

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Ward said:

LadyRhian said:
    That ass. Spider and snakes ruin the mood though.
    Not for the Drow! And if you can't handle a few spiders in your bed... ;)
    @Schneidend: I must admit I didn't have her in my party long enough to get to know her full potential. I might try her out again in my next playthrough.
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    I don't like the portrait of Viconia in BG1 :(
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Schneidend : Agreed, as for any other cleric. Problem is that her normal 10 strenght is barely enough to carry a single full plate mail ALONE. XD

Besides, I rather dress her in Human Flesh... makes her the perfect anti-magic tank :p
    @Cheesebelly: I just imagined that...The thought alone... o_O; Now that is rather macabre, especially if your own character is a human. :o
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Unless your using it as a metaphor
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    edited August 2012
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud : you could always go around and make your character with such a portrait EDITED OUT! Better not risk a ban. It was the Amnesia monster's photo XD
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    I really like the BG2 portrait with the darker skin tone.

@Schneidend : Agreed, as for any other cleric. Problem is that her normal 10 strenght is barely enough to carry a single full plate mail ALONE. XD

Besides, I rather dress her in Human Flesh... makes her the perfect anti-magic tank :p

I think she has barely enough weight capacity to carry a sling, mace, armor, and shield, but I could be wrong.

As for Human Flesh, yeah, it's definitely the way to go in an Evil party, but that's in BG2.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Schneidend

The problem isn't her weight capacity, her STR stat doesn't meet the minimum requirements for some of the heavy armor in the game.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited August 2012
    As I work it out Viconia's weight weight allowance is 70. Chain=40lb, medium shield=7lb, mace=8lb, giving you 15lb left to play with - Rendering her inventory slots less valuable.
    Tanthalas said:

@Schneidend

The problem isn't her weight capacity, her STR stat doesn't meet the minimum requirements for some of the heavy armor in the game.

I wonder why she was made to be so weak, to be honest. Okay, she might have a high DEX stat, but even then, avoiding enemy hits =/= killing them.
    Tanthalas said:

@Schneidend

According to Game Banshee, though, the armor doesn't have strength requirements in BG1. And, in BG2, where they DO have strength requirements, you can give her a suit of ahnkeg plate.

I wonder why she was made to be so weak, to be honest. Okay, she might have a high DEX stat, but even then, avoiding enemy hits =/= killing them.

That's what spells, Fighters, Thieves, and Mages are for. Viconia's 19 Dex means she also has a very good hit rating with slings, though.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I rather like that the stat distributions of NPCs were not based purely on utility.

That's what spells, Fighters, Thieves, and Mages are for. Viconia's 19 Dex means she also has a very good hit rating with slings, though.

Tanthalas said:

@Schneidend

According to Game Banshee, though, the armor doesn't have strength requirements in BG1. And, in BG2, where they DO have strength requirements, you can give her a suit of ahnkeg plate.

Yeah, but healing her still is and stays a fierce pain in the behind. 50% magic resistance truly is a blessing and a curse. :/ Also,she can't carry anything heavy, so I was restricted to dumping all of my gems and other miscellaneous stuff in her inventory, which could become quite frustrating when exploring dungeons.
    You shouldn't need to heal her much. Keep her out of the reach of melee enemies and either crowd control the archers or give them more pressing targets in the form of your tanks. If she gets in truly dire shape, healing potions and Cast Heals On Rest cannot fail.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    She does *only* have 14 Charisma..
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    cyberarmy said:

swap it with the BG2 one.

Just this^^
    Thirded ^^

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited August 2012
    LadyRhian said:

Ward said:

LadyRhian said:
    That ass. Spider and snakes ruin the mood though.
    Not for the Drow! And if you can't handle a few spiders in your bed... ;)
    I wouldn't have spiders in my bed for all the curvy Drow women in the world, unless they were friendly and promised not to look.
    Ken said:

She does *only* have 14 Charisma..

...Which is weird because Drow have such a bad reputation on the surface. Following the logic in the quote, a shopkeeper should reduce his prices despite knowing he's selling his stuff to an 'evil' Drow? Makes no sense.
    @Ward I don't think "looking" would be the problem. If they kept their mouths to themselves, though...

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud Charisma isn't straight attractiveness, it comes into play when you interact with someone and get to talk to them (1e AD&D gave Hitler as an example of an 18 CHA), and I don't think merchants would let her interact long enough to get the Bonus... Charisma is force of personality and persuasive power, not how pretty you are or how sexy you look. ;)
    @LadyRhian: Eh, I wasn't talking about Charisma as sexual attractiveness at all? I know Charisma means the ability to persuade someone. I meant that Drow are seen as 'evil' on the surface, so they have a bad reputation. This is shown in the fact that letting Viconia join your party results in a loss of 2 reputation points. So generally speaking, your party would be seen as dubious, because it contains a Drow. Yet, Viconia has a high enough Charisma score to technically be able to influence the prices of merchants. See, what I mean? It seems quite contradictory and paradoxical to me, as the game mechanics (high Charisma score = chance of getting better prices) seem to clash with the lore (Drow are evil, thus merchants not willing to trade with your party, so to speak) on that point. It's got nothing to do with attractiveness here.
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud No, you're right. I view it as they are only willing to talk with her because she is with you, the Non-Drow character.
  • AlparonAlparon Member Posts: 58
    is CHArisma the same with APPearance?
    LadyRhian said:

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud No, you're right. I view it as they are only willing to talk with her because she is with you, the Non-Drow character.

Yeah, I also viewed it as something like that. Living on the surface must be tough for a Drow. Their sensitivity to light must already be hard to deal with. Also, it's kind of weird how Drow weapons disintegrate as soon as they come into contact with sunlight. Which kind of metal could be so sensitive to sunlight afterall? :o
    Alparon said:

is CHArisma the same with APPearance?

Hmm, depends on how you look at it. Usually appearance is taken into account when talking about Charisma, but I think it has mainly to do with your character's ability to persuade someone into agreeing with him/her or giving permission to do something. At least, this view is maily apparent in Dragon Age: Origins, where you get a 'persuade' option in certain dialogs. In Baldur's Gate, it is less clear how Charisma is interpreted. I think it has to do with appearance, yes, but also with your character's personality and their ability to impress someone, to let people know you aren't to be fooled with. This could happen through appearance, but also through the way your character acts towards other people. At least, that is how I view it. Feel free to disagree. :)