Skip to content

Give Viconia a better portrait for BGEE

Comments

• MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    edited September 2012
    @Edvin - I think they're pretty good, though maybe not in the BG(2) style exactly.

Edit: the Charlie Sheen-looking Anomen is particularly funny, though I'm not really into funny or actor portraits (a la the Jennifer Aniston-looking Branwen).
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I don't like some of those portraits. On one hand, it would have been much easier to backhand Anomen if he had that smirk on his face. On the other hand, I have five fingers (ba-Dum TISH). But Xan looks like he dropped out of an Anime. Coran even more so. Yoshimo looks like an extra from a Martial Arts movie- Crazed Martial Arts Student #3 or something. And Cernd? Dude likes like an old Lady.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Edvin said:

Miloch said:
    It´s only me, or all this portraits look terrible ?
    No, it's not just you. It's weird because not a single face seems to fit properly, the facial features all seem distorted. It looks quite bizarre.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Miloch said:

@Tanthalas - there is a fixed Edwin - in wonnimchunha's portrait pack (the first alt without facial hair but with tattoos).

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/41785-sample-image-of-all-portraits/

This reminds me of http://www.cbsnews.com/8300-503543_162-503543.html?contributor=10361582

..just sayin'.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Hey, now. Be fair. That's a wonderful restoration of "The Scream".

(...What? It's not the Scream? Well then what is...oh. Ohhhh dear.)
  • MrennigmaMrennigma Member Posts: 9
    Edvin said:

You are not alone...
    WE ALL HATE THAT UGLY PORTRAIT FROM BG1 !!!

Look here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4038/best-viconia-portrait/p1

We have 92 %

Another vote cast so make that 92.whatever% :D
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    I liked IchigoRXC's portrait a lot (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/35872/#Comment_35872) , so I made properly downscaled versions for use in Baldur's Gate using VDub's awesome Lanczos filter. You can just drop them in /portraits. Here they are:

• EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited October 2012
    @Zeckul
    I can´t help myself, but Viconia on that portrait look too much shiny...

My personal favorite is @Miloch version, but someone must remove that lather thing from her forehead.

Post edited by Edvin on
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

Tanthalas said:

@Schneidend

The problem isn't her weight capacity, her STR stat doesn't meet the minimum requirements for some of the heavy armor in the game.

I wonder why she was made to be so weak, to be honest. Okay, she might have a high DEX stat, but even then, avoiding enemy hits =/= killing them.
    Drow women are not particularly strong. Drow chainmail is lightweight. I think it is fine that she is weak, adds more to her suffering.
    edited October 2012
    @Avenger_teambg - drow women are actually stronger than the drow men... says so in many canon resources and also the FR novels probably (though I have not read any, but that's what I gather). It is a matriarchal society in which women hold most of the high positions due to the culture and their higher abilities. So in other words, you could easily have a Viconia (who has a 10 STR) with a higher strength than Drizzt (who has a 13). Both on the average side (or slightly higher in Drizzt's case) but a drow woman could have an exceptional strength. Not saying Viconia does or should - I've always accepted her abilities as compared with other NPCs. Her DEX is 19 and her INT is 16, possibly high enough to make her a cleric/assassin as I think is offered in Lava's LaViconia mod (and of course any number of options are possible in Level 1 NPCs, including raising her STR if you wished to do so).

@Edvin - I'm glad you posted that since all my old photos have gone down on the old server. Perhaps I could do what you've suggested with that portrait. I'm certainly open to it; in any case, the black and dark purple are appropriate colours for a priestess of Shar.

Edit: I meant @Edvin, not @Zeckul - I think.
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    I think this Warcraft III image would work well as Viconia portrait.

• AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    Maybe if she was a good druid xD
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    how are her eyes generating light?
    Looks to obviously Warcrafty... colours are all wrong for a drow (should have black skin, white hair and usually red eyes).
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    @smeagolheart She's mirror eyed, that's just a camera flash reflection :P
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Hmm... I also like @Miloch's version better, better color balance and everything, but not the eyebrows. They look painted. I know they were roughly like that on the original, but the original had much paler skin so it didn't appear so glaring.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    I think that the BG1 portrait is satisfactory, but changing the portrait to the BG2 version would be better because it's a better portrait; i think the majority agrees on that.
    Zeckul said:

Hmm... I also like @Miloch's version better, better color balance and everything, but not the eyebrows. They look painted. I know they were roughly like that on the original, but the original had much paler skin so it didn't appear so glaring.

I agree.
    Left one is ok, but right is little overdo.
    Ok, this time let´s take it seriously...

We have here many portraits. Some are good and some are bad.
    But we all agree ( over 94 % ) that Viconia portrait from BG1 is really bad.
    What we can do ? Developers can´t change her portrait to some ours, because her portrait is part of original game and they do´t have allowe to do this sort of thing with original content.

But...

Hypothetical is possible, change her portrait from BG1 to her portrait from BG2. It´s a portrait same person and both portraits are parts original games ( If i good remember, they have contract on BG1 and also BG2 ). Portrait from BG2 is not best option, but it is best possible option.

Am i right @AndreaColombo , or is my assumption incorrect ? ( Only on hypothetical ground )
    @Edvin - There is a component from the BG1 NPC Project that lets you change Viconia's portrait from the BG1 to the BG2 version.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme-bg1npc.html#compon

Apart from that, there's various portrait mods, so install whichever you want (I have yet to make mine a proper mod but it will be eventually and there's instructions on how to change portraits in the game Readme.txt under Custom Portraits).
    @Miloch This is not only about us, BG:EE will play many peoples, i just want save BG:EE before that terrible portrait from BG1. But is it funny idea: " BG:EE manual, page one: 1) First download and instal this mods... " :D
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I personally have always liked Viconia's BG2 portrait, but I've never liked the portrait she had in BG1. It would make sense though to standardize whether she has blue or black skin so that either her portrait changes to black or her in-game character changes to blue since she is currently a contradiction.
    Yeah, I hear you... There is another component from BG2 Tweaks that lets you change Viconia's skin colour. I've been saying they should include some mods as optional installs from within the menu but even so, it will take a while to get them compatible. BG2 Tweaks at least should be compatible with BGEE when it comes out.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2tweaks/index.php
    @Miloch, Oh... so you actualy saying:
    " We don´t need BG:EE, we need only BG1 any many mods "
    This is interesting opinion...

You can´t solving all problems using mods.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    @Edvin - Not everything, but many things—especially of the cosmetic kind. I for one think BG1's and BG2's portraits don't blend in well together at all, and would strongly advise against mixing them up. BG:EE is a BG1 remake and makes use of BG1 portraits; BG2 will make use of BG2 portraits. Changing Viconia's portrait to its BG2 counterpart is easy enough even without mods, anyway, so it's not like you'll be forced to keep the one you so dislike. Changing her skin color should also be fairly easy without mods.
    @AndreaColombo I understand you but this is not one man opinion.
    We have more then 90 % so maybe really " Something is rotten in the state of Denmark ".
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    I think baldurs gate one portraits are better than the second game, the BG2 portraits looked like cheesey cartoon faces and unrealistic in every aspect. At least the baldurs gate original portraits look real and have character.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Majoca said:

I think baldurs gate one portraits are better than the second game, the BG2 portraits looked like cheesey cartoon faces and unrealistic in every aspect. At least the baldurs gate original portraits look real and have character.

The art style in BG1 is definitely better, but some pictures are just plain ugly. But I'd still rather keep the ugly pictures than to have conflicting art styles between portraits. It would be great if they can make a better picture for Viconia in the same style, but if they just want to swap it with her BG2 picture I'd rather just keep the ugly one.
    @Awong124 Oh ?
    You first vote for BG2 portrait and now you want start trolling ?
    Man, this is pitiful...
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited October 2012
    @Edvin

I voted BG2 because I think that is the better portrait. But I wouldn't swap the BG2 portrait into BG1 at the expense of a cohesive art style. Two separate things.

I do think Viconia's BG2 portrait is better though.