Skip to content

Give Viconia a better portrait for BGEE

Comments

• SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Viconia's BG2 portrait looks too cute for a Drow... Don't forget from where she comes...
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Seldar: Too cute? To me it looks quite neutral...What did you expect, blood stains all over her face or something? :p
  • NimzNimz Member Posts: 44
    I like the BG2 one

But maybe thats because i've only played BG2 and she was in my party.

I find it strange how her BG1 and BG2 portraits are so radically different (I always assumed that BG1 portrait was of an entirely different character until now!)

If they don't fix this in BG:EE I think ill have to overwrite the old one with the BG2 potrait manually
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think only Minsc and Edwin actually had similar portraits between BG1 and BG2.

Imoen and Jaheira changed a lot too.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Tanthalas said:

I think only Minsc and Edwin actually had similar portraits between BG1 and BG2.

Imoen and Jaheira changed a lot too.

Not that big change like Viconia.
    Imoen and Jaheira was look good and after change are still beautiful.
    Viconia was like swap moster and after change look gorgeous.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud It has something to do with the Radiation in the Drow homelands, the Faerzress. That's what gives the Drow equipment its powers in the Underdark, but makes it disintegrate on the surface.
    @Edvin: I still think her BG 1 portrait is closer to an actual Drowish look than the BG 2 portrait, tho. But the change is indeed a bit surprising. I also didn't like how Imoen and Jaheira's portrait changed in BG 2. I like the BG 1 portraits best. :)
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Yeah, I also viewed it as something like that. Living on the surface must be tough for a Drow. Their sensitivity to light must already be hard to deal with. Also, it's kind of weird how Drow weapons disintegrate as soon as they come into contact with sunlight. Which kind of metal could be so sensitive to sunlight afterall? :o

It's not so much the metal as it is the metal is bathed in magical radiation that doesn't agree with the surface world. There are places in the Underdark where the radiation is strong enough that you can leave a non-magical weapon there for a few days and it will become enchanted (albeit somewhat unpredictably) naturally.
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

Viconia's BG2 portrait doesn't match with my idea of a drow...

Look that Drizzt's portrait :

http://www.aidedd.org/images/race3/drows4.jpg

We can really feel how evil he could be inside of him. I know Drizzt is a "good" Drow but we can cleary see from where he comes.

and here Viconia :

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg2/encounters/npcs/viconia/viconia.jpg

She looks like an aquatic elf, not a Drow
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    This was actually posted in the 'Bugs' forum at first?

Can I weep for humanity just a bit and say something simple:

It's just a portrait you can mod in whatever portrait you want.
    @Seldar: When looking at Viconia's expression lone, I can see that she has gone through a lot of trouble, as she looks kind of worried and doubtful. But I also see a strong woman who will speak her mind when asked to and someone who can defend herself. Drizzt's portrait might look more stern and serious, I still think Viconia shows a lot more expression in that one shot of her face alone. There's a story in those eyes.
    edited August 2012
    Seldar said:

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

Viconia's BG2 portrait doesn't match with my idea of a drow...

Look that Drizzt's portrait :

http://www.aidedd.org/images/race3/drows4.jpg

Dude, that is not Drizzt. Drizzt wear chainmail armor, not plate.

btw: On internet is to many Drizzt pictures. On some he look good and on some look ugly.
    This is official picture from book.

Look similarly like Viconia from BG2

Post edited by Edvin on
    @Edvin: Hey, I kind of like that depiction of him. He looks serious, as if he has been through a lot of hard times. No wonder, he has been trying to convince people for years that not every Drow is evil...But he doesn't necessarily seem 'evil' to me.
  • DLiteDLite Member Posts: 53
    I like the more gritty IWD2 portraits.. They got more style and character. Not like the BG1 barbie-dolls.
    Dazzu said:

This was actually posted in the 'Bugs' forum at first?

Can I weep for humanity just a bit and say something simple:

It's just a portrait you can mod in whatever portrait you want.

Sure, it´s easy and we can use mod...
    Actually we can use modes to get nearly all upgrades what have BG:EE...
    Then, do we really need BG:EE ?

If BG:EE what have success, then must give fans what they want.
    More new contents and repaired old contents.
    Otherwise is pointless.

Viconia portait is one part of old contents what realy need fixing .
    You're missing my point @Edvin. You posted this as a bug... I still can't get over that as being anything genuine.

I'm beyond baffled.
    If drow woman get portrait what dont look like drow woman then is it bug for me.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    drow are supposed to look beuatiful...
    I know Drizzt wear chainmail armor, I'm not talking about his armor, but about the fact he looks more like a Drow than Viconia
    Edvin said:

If drow woman get portrait what dont look like drow woman then is it bug for me.

Nobody else see anything wrong with this statement? Nobody? I can't be going insane here, can I?
  • elysXelysX Member Posts: 21
    i like them both tbh.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @Edvin It's not a bug, it's a personal opinion. You find the portrait wrong and don't like it. Others, myself included, are actually quite fine with it, and prefer to keep it as it is, rather than meddling with it.
    Thels said:

@Edvin It's not a bug, it's a personal opinion. You find the portrait wrong and don't like it. Others, myself included, are actually quite fine with it, and prefer to keep it as it is, rather than meddling with it.

Witch " others " ? I think you don´t have much supporters...

I challenge all " others " !

If you think that Viconia portrait from BG1 look good and doesn't need replace, then give "" like "" to Thels previous comment.
    edited August 2012
    btw: @Tanthalas : If you dont allow bug section, can you please transfer this topic to feature request ?
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Xullrae has to be one of the most famous OC Drow on dA
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Edwin

Ok, I'll move it to Feature Requests.
    Tanthalas said:

@Edwin

Ok, I'll move it to Feature Requests.

Thank you.
  • warden91warden91 Member Posts: 1
    So I just read through this post and I have to say that I like BG2 version much better, if you see NWN (hotu) drow portraits, they more similar to BG2 Viconia. But this whole thing is just personal preference. By the way in my opinion the best role-friendly (except that in my game she always wear a full plate armor) artwork about Viconia is this:
    http://azazel1944.deviantart.com/art/Viconia-63300675?q=gallery:azazel1944/1776020&qo=88
    (somewhere in this forum already had a link)
    It would be even fine if they keep her original portrait for BG1EE and change only for BG2EE then eveyrone can be happy or entirely redone but then there always be people who doesn't like the new.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Tanthalas said:

@LadyRhian
    Apparently I can't see the pic because it contains "nudity and sexual themes".

Ok, now I just really want to see that picture :p

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @ajwz Are you having trouble seeing it also?