Skip to content

Give Viconia a better portrait for BGEE

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @CoM_Solaufein Now that's a Viconia I both like and can respect! Even if she still has kinda blue skin.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I prefer my Viconia neither anemic nor anorexic. That lady needs some meat on her bones. ;)
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I wonder how many Viconia fansites I can find on Google thanks to these threads now.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Space_hamster Elves tend to be thinner than humans. Lighter and more delicate as well.

@Ward Sometimes, I think these threads would classify this site as a fansite! ;)
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Actually that is a portrait I will be using for an upcoming mod with a drow NPC.
    LadyRhian said:

@CoM_Solaufein Now that's a Viconia I both like and can respect! Even if she still has kinda blue skin.

• Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Both portraits are great. The reason this thread has 6 pages is that BG1 and BG2 version of Viconia differ, and their portraits correctly depict their different personality. So the BG2 crowd wants bg2 viconia and bg1 crowd wants bg1 viconia. Now since personalities arent gonna be changed, her BG1 portait is completely fine. BG1 Viconia doesnt have an an innocent damsel in distress touch to her, so bg2 portait would be just not stylistically fitting. And vice versa.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited August 2012
    Her BG1 portrait is pretty ugly and she doesn't look like a Drow. I'd suggest either swapping it with the BG2 as some have said or making a new one that's more Drow like and better to look at (and not a bad shop job like so many fan portraits).

Though if they were to do that then I'd suggest giving the option to the player to set recruitable NPC portraits since it does seem like a contentious issue for some.
    Post edited by RedGuard on
  • sparrow13sparrow13 Member Posts: 30
    Yeah I see no reason why she shouldn't have her BG2 portrait replace the BG1 abomination. On the other hand, I'd like Jaheira's BG1 portrait to replace her braid-y BG2...thing.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Install options :D
    sparrow13 said:

Yeah I see no reason why she shouldn't have her BG2 portrait replace the BG1 abomination. On the other hand, I'd like Jaheira's BG1 portrait to replace her braid-y BG2...thing.

I dunno. BG1 Jaheira just looks like a portrait of a cosplayer. She's very pretty, but you can't even tell she's an elf. I like the BG2, I think it's fairly stylish. Everyone has their own tastes I guess.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile allowing people to set NPC's portraits in the menu or something. lol Though I suppose there's always Shadowkeeper or something like that.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I also like Jaheira's BG2 portrait more.

I won't ask them to replace her BG1 though, lol.
    Me neither. It doesn't bug me, I just prefer her BG2 one.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    I like both Jaheria portraits. I actually like her BG2 one better, in part because it's truer to her mixed heritage. It's one of the few elf-bloods I can stand to look at.

Elves are described as being "hauntingly beautiful." Many of the elves and half-elves in these games are just plain haunting. The NWN2 half-elf is so ugly even a mother could not love it.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    I really hope they change that portrait.
    It will be annoying do it myself...
    BTW: This topic and " Add Drow (Dark Elf) Race " are super popular.
    ( Most popular in whole " Features Requests " )
    People must really like drows :D
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    I'll add my voice to those saying the original BG1 portrait is terrible.
    @mch202 You are god kid.
    Blue his HUD, with a blue fiesty wife (Viconia)
    And a blue corset, and everything is blue for him
    And his self
    And everybody round'
    Cos Overhaul, they don't, be listening to.

WE WANT, A NEW G-U-I
    A NEWW G-U-I
    A NEW GUIII
    A NEW GUUII
    A NEW GUUI
    A NEW GUUIII
    A NEW GUIII
    A NEW GUIIIEEEEEE
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Ward said:

@mch202 You are god kid.

My mother would disagree, but thanks! :-)
  • MrennigmaMrennigma Member Posts: 9
    Of the two choices I definitely have to go with #2. I always hated hated HATED her portrait in BG1. Awful, just awful.
    Mrennigma said:

Of the two choices I definitely have to go with #2. I always hated hated HATED her portrait in BG1. Awful, just awful.

You are not alone...
    WE ALL HATE THAT UGLY PORTRAIT FROM BG1 !!!

Look here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4038/best-viconia-portrait/p1

We have 92 %

• MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    BG2 portrait isn't that great either IMO. The art is great but the garb colour is wrong for a priestess of Shar, as is her skin tone and her eye colour (edit about halfway down the first post below).

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/34869-clerics-get-their-deity-colours/
    @Miloch

You gave Minsc hair...

Did you write the BG novels too?
    edited September 2012
    Miloch said:

BG2 portrait isn't that great either IMO. The art is great but the garb colour is wrong for a priestess of Shar, as is her skin tone and her eye colour (edit about halfway down the first post below).

Not bad Viconia but i have two objections.

1) Her lips are to much red ( a like red lips, but this is to much )
    2) You should remove that ugly leather thing ( i have no idea what is it ) on her forehead
    @Tanthalas - is that supposed to be some kind of insult? :P

Just going by canon sources, as it says on that link
    Most Rashemi average about five and a half feet in height, with stout and muscular builds. Most are dusky of skin and dark of eye, with thick black hair. Rashemi males are unusually hirsute [hairy] and often sport bushy black beards. Although handsome, many seem almost ursine [bearlike] in nature. Baldness is almost unknown among Rashemi males, although inhabitants of Thay are known to shave all body hair in imitation of the ruling Mulan. (from Races of Faerun)
    Someone on another thread objected that this was not a 2nd ed. source, but from what I recall, it was consistent with such sources (and didn't really change until NWN or whatever decided to make Rashemi all Russians or Cossacks or something). Those are older edits and I've tweaked many of them since then... unfortunately don't have access to them at present though.
    @Miloch

Yeah, I agree that Rashemi are supposed to look like that (probably needed more beard), but that was still a very cruel thing to do to Minsc.

PS: Technically, Edwin needs fixing too.
    @Tanthalas - there is a fixed Edwin - in wonnimchunha's portrait pack (the first alt without facial hair but with tattoos).

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/41785-sample-image-of-all-portraits/

@Edvin - yeah I may have tweaked it a bit since then. There is another edit (which I provide as an alternative) with lighter skin and without the headband. Forget who the artist is but it's out there somewhere. I rather like the headband but I am all about providing alternatives (which is probably why the mod is taking so long).
    edited September 2012
    Tanthalas said:

PS: Technically, Edwin needs fixing too.

Body swap with Minsc ? :D

Actually Minsc look like wizard from Thay ( bald-pated and tattoo ).
    Miloch said:
    It´s only me, or all this portraits look terrible ?