Skip to content

Baldurs Gate Meme Thread II: Enhanced Edition (Careful, everyone, SPOILERS!)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    edited August 2015
    It's been a long time since I've laughed as much :)

Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    @bengoshi you really should edit the IP addresses out of that post.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Sjerrie said:

@AHF Let's do some more Bad Pickup Line Korgan...

This one is probably PG-13 or beyond...

He doesn't reserve his tender affections only to the shorties either:

"If I wanted to listen to yer yip, ye prissy elf, I’d pull ye over my knee and smack yer bottom. At least then I’d have meself something interesting to do while ye blathered on."

Why is *not* using a weapon a stupid mistake for a monk?
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    The problem with low-level monks is their AC, not their fists, though a magic weapon will be needed, as @Adul already said. Just throwing my lot in with the rest of these guys as someone who played a monk before.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Nimran said:

The problem with low-level monks is their AC, not their fists, though a magic weapon will be needed, as @Adul already said. Just throwing my lot in with the rest of these guys as someone who played a monk before.

It is their fists. Their AC. Their THACO. Their low hit points. In BGEE they are...horrific. This is from someone who has done a saga playthrough with a monk.

Though I suppose you could kill Drizzt for his Scimitar of +2 AC.

Bracers of AC6, Scimiatr of +2 AC, Cloak of Balduran, Ring of Prot +2, 18 Dex. That would make a low level monk at least somewhat non-squishy...
    The simplest way to address the monk's bad AC right from the beginning of the game is to just go buy the amulet of shielding from the carnival. With an 18 dex and the ring of protection right at the beginning of the game, that gives you a -1 AC against melee and -3 against missiles which is very doable. The ability to deflect missiles will take that down to a -5 AC by level 6 (and lower if you are using +2 ring, cloak of balduran, etc.).

I've also done a saga run as a monk and agree they are squishy until they really get going in BG2. That said, they can do some useful things like hide in shadows and stun enemy mages, etc. that make them useful and a Charname can start with much better stats than Rasaad (better strength and con in particular) that make the Monk more useful in combat early in the game -- even if they won't ever be a tank and won't compete offensively with a fighter until significantly later on.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited August 2015
    Grum said:

Nimran said:

It is their fists. Their AC. Their THACO. Their low hit points. In BGEE they are...horrific. This is from someone who has done a saga playthrough with a monk.

Though I suppose you could kill Drizzt for his Scimitar of +2 AC.

Bracers of AC6, Scimiatr of +2 AC, Cloak of Balduran, Ring of Prot +2, 18 Dex. That would make a low level monk at least somewhat non-squishy...
    Of all of those problems, the fists are the least troublesome. I still say that they are no problem at all. That particular scimitar may be better, but it requires killing Drizzt, which some people may find irksome coming from a monk. All of that said, I agree with everything else.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I believe the proper response from our resident no-reload pros here on the forums would be "fought Sarevok again. Dies of disinterest."
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Elrandir: I just counted the screenshots on my computer. Precisely half of my no-reload runs failed because of disinterest rather than character death.
  • JatrrrJatrrr Member Posts: 31
    Hehe.. i get only 90 untill here but it is very funny.