Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited April 2014
    Quartz said:

Hahahahah! It's funny how we have nearly opposite experiences. I've had little trouble with bugs, but I think their writing is mediocre.

If we're being brutally honest, though, the BG games were never the epitome of video game storytelling. It's turn-of-the-century stuff, when gamemakers were still figuring out how to do the basics. And on that level, Beamdog's new material fits in pretty well: decent characterization, but not necessarily up to present-day standards.

Of course, I think our perceptions of the characters are very much influenced by the types of characters we play in the game: for me, Dorn and Hexxat were welcome additions to the group because their personalities turned out to be very compatible with my first EE Bhaalspawn - Neutral Evil, obsessed with power, and always putting his own survival first. By contrast, Neera and Rasaad don't really "click" with me because I can't see my PC interacting with them in any meaningful way; he'd find Neera irritating and Rasaad preachy and naive.

Bugs, though. There was a point where I had to reload four times in a single session because of looping dialogue and cutscenes that wouldn't trigger properly. That's when I stopped and put the game aside. Four months later and nothing's changed, so... yeah, I'm not going anywhere near "Adventure Y" until the devs prove they're capable of doing better. Fool me twice, etc.
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    Awesome detective work @bengoshi‌ I had a feeling it was a clue but didn't have the necessary knowledge to figure it out, nicely done! This is exciting :)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @Montresor_SP‌
    "How many fingers am I holding up, Winston?"
    That's quite a coup. And wasn't there another tweet a while back hinting that they were trying to get Jennifer Hale?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    As my post on the page 2 of this discussion shows, Jennifer Hale seems to be involved into this Adventure project. And now we certainly know David Warner is involved too.

It's quite a company! More to come, I hope.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    bengoshi said:

Phil is a pretty cryptic guy. I think he likes tormenting people.
    Adventure X was the Black Pits.

Best,
    -Trent

Quote is from page one on this thread.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

I hereby register my ongoing excitement towards Adventure Y and whatever it may entail (including coming that much closer to Adventure Z, Adventure ZZ, and Adventure ZZ Top). I had originally hoped for something involving the expansion of the Gnoll Stronghold, but a bridge between BG1 and BG2 also sounds cool. Getting the original voice actors makes the whole thing feel legit, I'm excited and intrigued.

Maybe we get captured while revisiting the Gnoll Stronghold. :O!
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    edited April 2014
    I'm salivating at the prospect of Adventure Y and what it will be....

Sometimes it's all about enjoying the little things in life!
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598

Oooh. Shiny ones.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited May 2014
    so when's this adverturey thing coming out? I'm a little lukewarm towards returning to Baldur's Gate until I get some news.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    So, something like the Black Pits, but set between BG1 and BG2 and with the Bhaalspawn as the protagonist? Maybe Baeloth or whatever his name was gets you there somehow.

To avoid creating further continuity problems, you'd be limited in what NPC's you can use. Viconia is supposed to be around Beregost, Edwin already on his way to Amn to worm his way into the guild, and Quayle... well Quayle is just a nightmare. He has to have somehow travelled back in time several years at least, joined the circus, met Aerie, nursed her back to health and taught her magic, and grown a lot older and wiser.

But maybe it's just the Bhaalspawn at first, and you'll meet up with some of the unaccounted for BG1 NPC's, and somehow end up with the party you start BG2 with before Irenicus snatches you away.

But I'm hoping they'll follow it up with something between SoA and ToB before being summoned back to the grove, as there's not only a great choice of NPC's then, but just a lot more freedom in general. You can explore a whole different part of the world maybe, and with all your favourite companions.
    @Coutelier: There's an exchange in the dialog.tlk between Rasaad and Jaheira about a place called Bridgefort, and how difficult it was for her to be separated from her husband. That would seem to place Adventure Y before the events of BG2.
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    edited July 2014
    Perhaps you should consider showing some stuff youve been working on.