Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

Basically, yes. But they're using a microphone and there's also coworkers sitting around.

Is this what young people call 'Gnolling'? I'm sure some kind of dog inference is implied...
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    Ardanis said:

Next time I see another %#$&#^ impossible to implement staging, I will promise to script it literally.

Sorry, Amber. It's nothing personal, just business :)

Understood. I like to think I've gotten better with my staging directions over time, but I still have much to learn :)

• Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159

I'm pretty sure romances were already "confirmed" there. And of course we have a lot of voice actors. :)

Question-- is your primary position programming, coding or writing? I'm looking to enter the industry as a writer who can program, so I'd love to pick your brain sometime! (shamelessly evil cackle-- I've been told I'm quite good at it too...)
    Haha, doing my best to sell my kit, but the East Coast (USA) doesn't have much to look at. :( Might have to make my own journey across the world, away from home... *heroic journey pose*
    Mwahahahaha! *runs off to prepare a list of questions* Thank you for being open to questions, I just never see/hear from any writers in the industry. I think I've found a single article from a creative writer in the industry in the years I've looked who wasn't a programmer to start with... he was a fantasy author first. :P
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744

I just never see/hear from any writers in the industry.

This is probably going to come off much snarkier than it's intended, but how hard have you been looking...?

This is probably going to come off much snarkier than it's intended, but how hard have you been looking...?
    I looked quite a bit once I graduated, but rarely ever saw any job postings in the videogame industry for writers. Saw an awful lot of stuff for programmers, though (well, an awful lot as a percentage of jobs actually available at the time). I also grabbed every interview I could find, but again, rare to see interviews with writers in the industry who didn't come in as programmers/are primarily programmers. I was wondering if "videogame writers" even existed. A few professors told me no, a good deal simply shrugged and admitted that they knew nothing about the industry.

The view may be different from the inside of the industry bubble, but looking in from what few windows we get out here (game magazines, online interviews, AMAs, etc.), there's rather little to go on as a whole (Game Developer classes vs. Computer Science? Or self-trained? Mixed answers!), triply so if you're not a programmer.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    This might not be the best spot to try to get a job interview...maybe pm's would be more appropriate?
    I wasn't aiming it that way, simply trying to say that I really don't hear *anything* about writers in the industry. Simply answering Foley with some obsrvations of my own and where I've gotten them from (hence, why I'm quite excited to be able to ask an industry writer questions). Was not intending this to sound like I'm begging for an interview.

My apologies.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

deltago said:

No gratuitous sex scenes.

Define gratuitous...

It has two meanings. I will let you ponder on which one I was aiming for.

@Brer_Rabbit
    http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/20848/the-dont-ask-me-anything-thread
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    @Brer_Rabbit no worries...just trying to keep the thread on topic. :tongue:
    edited May 2015
    deltago said:

deltago said:

No gratuitous sex scenes.

Define gratuitous...

It has two meanings. I will let you ponder on which one I was aiming for.

@Brer_Rabbit
    http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/20848/the-dont-ask-me-anything-thread
    I read about 3-5 pages of it at random and it looked like a bunch of goofy randomness (which is great, random is fun), but I meant along the lines of breaking into the industry, things learned (what you can/can't do in a videogame's story arc) and so on. It may have been on a page I skipped, but I didn't see it in there.

I better be quiet now before procco takes me to task again. XD
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    I didn't take it that way, Rabbit. I'm always happy to talk to people looking to break into the industry. Message me anytime.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744

I looked quite a bit once I graduated, but rarely ever saw any job postings in the videogame industry for writers.
    My reply to this took on a life of its own, and it's one that has nothing to do with Adventure Y so I ferried it over to my Don't Ask Me Anything thread.
    http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/20848/the-dont-ask-me-anything-thread#latest

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.