Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    edited September 2014
    @Gallowglass‌
    FWIIW. I follow your argument and sympathize/ generally agree. The 'connecting' of stories without violating contract may be a significant writing and technical issue. (Of course, if Overhaul is making nice money for the IP holders with their efforts, contracts are malleable over time.)

I'd just like to add to the discussion, however, that there are several other PLAYABLE BG1:EE characters in BG2:EE, which it might be nice to have threaded/transitionable through AdvY to BG2:EE: Viconia, Edwin, Rasaad, Neera, Dorn Il-Khan. The 3 "new" characters, in particular, have significantly less strictures.

Of course, these would be even more trouble to figure out a transition story/play scheme than the group which is all in the dungeon together at the start of BG2:EE.

(FWIIW, one of my next playthrough projects is to play a "continuity party" in BG:EE, consisting of CHARNAME, Imoen, Minsc, Jaheira, Rasaad, and Neera. I'd include Viconia, perhaps, instead of Jaheira, but the assembly and management of this party is going to be hard enough in the early going without having to play reputation yo-yo to keep Vikky happy [well...technically, Unhappy].)
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328

@kaguana‌
    In the long established DnD fantasy melieu upon which BG is based, female dwarves usually (always?) have beards and are hard to distinguish from males.

So???? I still think it silly that a female have beard no matter the race she is.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @kaguana‌ my initial joke was about the trans singer Conchita Wurst, who is a pretty convincing woman, despite having a full, black beard. Seeing as Dwarven women are often portrayed with some facial hair in some fantasy settings, it seemed like a clever joke. Hence saying 'maybe female' for the bearded dwarven bard.

Interesting anecdote though, some women do actually have substantial facial hair, and most have some light facial hair at least, especially in their old age.
    @DreadKhan‌ I got no idea who Conchita Wurst is and to be honest it not really interesting me, so no I didn't got that joke, sorry.

And woman who do have facial hair remove it (at last the one who care and I can assure you I have none of it ).
  • LordInsaneLordInsane Member Posts: 38

@kaguana‌
    In the long established DnD fantasy melieu upon which BG is based, female dwarves usually (always?) have beards and are hard to distinguish from males.

Bearded dwarven females had been surprisingly rare in the established DnD fantasy milieu already in 1998, actually - to not speak of them being hard to distinguish from males. Faerûnian female dwarves might well be capable of growing beards, but it is quite evident it is not a cultural ideal to the degree beards are for male dwarves.
  • Beards, dwarfs and women have nothing to do with Adventure Y .

I still think its about the rescue of Charname
    Leave dwarven aside I really wonder what adventure Y story is
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I am highly confused.
    Someone please explain what this thread is about.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    bengoshi said:

I understand Trent means new areas for the Adventure Y here ...

From @AndrewFoley's comments a few days ago, I get the impression that AdY is now at quite an advanced stage of development, close to ready. Surely they wouldn't still be "brainstorming new areas" - that's something you'd do at an early phase of development.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    fishing for confirmations? hehe - bring back the speculation, my popcorn is getting cold!
    @Cuv keeping secret are you? that no fun :P tell us something interesting pretty pleas......
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Adul said:

@Buttercheese‌ It's supposed to be about planned BG expansion that goes by the work title "Adventure Y", but any actual information on that front is so scarce that it's usually about something else.

Ooooohhhh, I see!
    Wow, now I am exited :D
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

bengoshi said:

I understand Trent means new areas for the Adventure Y here ...

From @AndrewFoley's comments a few days ago, I get the impression that AdY is now at quite an advanced stage of development, close to ready. Surely they wouldn't still be "brainstorming new areas" - that's something you'd do at an early phase of development.
    Andrew already hinted at an adventure Zed being worked on so the new areas are probably for that.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Cuv said:

fishing for confirmations? hehe - bring back the speculation, my popcorn is getting cold!

@Cuv - you thereby seem to imply that what I wrote doesn't qualify as speculation. So, in the true spirit of rumour-craft, does that mean that we can interpret your comment as itself a confirmation that I hit the nail on the head? :-)
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Did anything change in 7-8 months on this?
    Yeah, its now unofficially pronounced Adventure Z(ed).

Oh, you meant Adventure Y? Ehh... think of this all as watching a racey dancer that instead of using 2 or 3 songs uses several years.

Maybe big news sometime in Decembuary? Maybe. In Decembuary.
    Lol @Cuv‌ that no secret no more, it no secret if anyone know it already :P

And yes unfair it is, and telling secrets isn't about what you know it about what other don't know :P so you don't count, you should tell us secret WE don't know, I bet you have lots of that in your bag of holding don't ya??
    To please all the b****y whin- ahem, I mean constructively critical consumers, new content and addable NPCs will be in IWDEE!

Yes, you can finally use Garrick, Eldoth, Tiax (no summon!), Xan (no Moonblade), Nalia (she is a tiny baby, so requires an incubator), Aerie (she still has wings, but suffers from vertigo and agoraphobia), BG1 stat Minsc (no Boo), and Rassad (no items to boost him. In fact, no monk gear period) in Icewind Dale! All voices, quests etc are identical, as this is being done by a small group. Also, anyone that bought BG1EE will be legally required to buy the Special Collector's Edition of IWDEE, which costs $70 and comes with a bonus merchant in Easthaven that sells gear way too expensive to buy.

Icasaracht will be replaced by Davaeorn. He'll still just port stupidly around with a cruddy script, taking missile damage until dropped. Belhefit may be replaced with Melisan, since she was so popular as a villain.