Skip to content

New versions of NearInfinity available

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    edited June 2016
    brus said:

Would it be possible in the future unhardcode quick item and quick spell bar so that we could arrange it as pleased. I'm trinig to modify quick spell bar as circular one which can be brought by a key. I would like to link square spell UI into an working circular UI if possible.

Could you please continue this discussion in the UI Modding section? Thanks.
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    I found another bug:

Changing the language should work for SoD games

1. Launch NearInfinity
    2. Open the Beamdog BG:EE build (00766)
    3. Set the language to French
    4. Open the Beamdog SoD build (00806)
    5. Set the language to Italian
    6. Press Ctrl+L, enter 27000

Observed: The journal entry is in French. The BG:EE setting is used.
    Expected: The journal entry should be in Italian. The SoD setting should be used.
    It's a regression from the way how SoD is detected in the latest NI version. It'll be fixed in the next release.
  • DremorDremor Member Posts: 40
    ehy argent... a version of near infinity wasn't capable of compiling bcs/bs code...

here is what i did: old version... compiles, ai responsive
    new version... compile, ai unresponsive... (and the compiled code is the same !)

here are the version i used:
    old version: 1.36-2015
    new version: 2.0-2016

---

for now i stick to 1.36, otherwise my ai files will not work O_o
    @Dremor I can't reproduce the issue. Both old and new NI releases are creating the exact same BS file from the provided BAF source on binary level. They are also identical to NIXOS.BS from your archive. I've tried with v2.0-20160616, v1.36-20160214 and v1.36-20150316. Compiling the script with WeiDU produces an identical script file as well.

Can you give me a step-by-step example that produces the faulty script?
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    edited July 2016
    edit
    Post edited by JediMindTrix on
    edited July 2016
    argent77 said:

@Dremor I can't reproduce the issue. Both old and new NI releases are creating the exact same BS file from the provided BAF source on binary level. They are also identical to NIXOS.BS from your archive. I've tried with v2.0-20160616, v1.36-20160214 and v1.36-20150316. Compiling the script with WeiDU produces an identical script file as well.

Can you give me a step-by-step example that produces the faulty script?

hey argent if it is only my pc who has this bug, nevermind...
    anyway i attach 3 files now.
    1 file is the source baf i used
    1 file is compiled with 136
    1 file is compiled with 20 i downloaded from your link you gave in the nearby post

size compiled are different
    playerx doesn't recognize d key being pressed who puts a variable on 0/1 and write in chat on/off

also if u make a playerx have a detect evil lvl 1 cleric spell inside black pits (where merchants are evil)
    you see that 136 script fire off detect evil
    while 20 doesn't fire that spell and his ai is unresponsive.
    The only difference between the two compiled BS files is the type of line break. nOLD136.BS uses Unix-style linebreaks (\n) while nOLD20.BS uses Windows linebreaks (\r\n).

I don't know if the games have issues with Windows linebreaks, but you can probably convert them back to Unix-style with an advanced text editor, such as Notepad++ (if you're using Windows).

NI should always generate scripts with Unix-style linebreaks though. Does it work differently for you?
    if you say the 20 version has windows linebreaks, then yes near infinity 20, on my windows 7 x64 generated windows line breaks :/

do not know why -.-' i basically just placed the ni file inside a created folder within bgEE and double click it, and select chitin.key, then select .baf file and compile :P (and it generated it badly compiled with windows style breaks)

(did the same with 136, and it did generated a correct compiled file as you saw)
    I will add more checks to the next NI release to ensure unix-style linebreaks for BCS files.
    thanks ^^
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @argent77
    Found another new addition:
    Opcode 12, Damage
    • Special Field, Unknown(3)
      • Damage dealt is added to casters Current and Maximum HP (as opcode 18).
    Implemented presumably for Vampiric Touch, since that's where I found it.
    edited July 2016
    @kjeron
    I can't reproduce it. Do I have to set up the damage effect in a special way?

EDIT: Bit 3 works only when specifying a duration (regardless of timing mode) and is only effective for that duration.

Btw, bit 5 of the 'Special' field appears to suppress any damage feedback.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Bit 9, Currently labeled "Made Save", appears to be functioning as a "Fail for Half", similar to Bit 8's "Save for Half".
    It's completely redundant though, since if your going to save for nothing or fail for half you may as well just halve the damage your dealing to begin with.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor Can you check if the latest release (v2.0-20160616) works correctly?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @subtledoctor - Odd. It works fine for BG2EE downloaded from Beamdog (v2.2.65).
    @subtledoctor Currently NI uses "movies/pocketzz.wbm" to decide whether the game is BG2EE. Does your GOG installation provide this file? (And while we're at it, "movies/sodcin01.wbm" is used for detecting SoD and "movies/bgenter.wbm" for detecting plain BGEE.)
  • crittocritto Member Posts: 32
    Hey @argent77 !

Thanks for the great work on NI that you are doing.

Do you have any plans to optimise performance of the newer versions of NI? I am experiencing incredible slowdowns compared to the older versions (before the large overhaul).

Searches over game resources are taking tons of time to perform. A text scan over bcs or dlg files takes 5 to 10 minutes. The older versions didn't have that problem.

I'm running the latest Mac OS X with @AstroBryGuy 's release NearInfinity-OSX v2.0-20160521 (the 20160616 version was released a couple of days ago, haven't tried it yet).

Will check out the last release in the evening, hopefully, it will perform faster.
    I didn't notice any slowdowns on my test machines. However, search and check routines make heavy use of multithreading. There may be some incompatibilities under certain conditions. I'll try to test it in different configurations. Maybe I can reproduce these slowdowns.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited July 2016
    NearInfinity doesn't show anything useful for random loot in IWD:EE:

Any chance that this could be extended, @argent77?

E.g. the above shown "RNDTRE16.ITM" corresponds to the RNDTREAS.2DA entry "EC3Tres", it would be nice if that information (and maybe even the associated items and their probabilities) was presented in the container and item GUI in the screenshot.

EDIT: Maybe like in this mockup:

EDIT 2: Or maybe like this, and then the details when you click View/Edit:
    Post edited by ineth on
    Adding nested lists for displaying random items would be far too complicated, as is showing details about random treasure in a seperate window. The best I can do is probably generating special names for random treasure items. I will add it to my list, but I can't promise anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • crittocritto Member Posts: 32
    Well, the 20160616 version seems to be a bit better, but I'll do more tests in the evening to be sure. At least, I haven't experienced a notable increase in CPU, fan speed and temperature of my laptop when trying to do a search.
    @subtledoctor You should be able to force game detection by creating an empty dummy file "movies/pocketzz.wbm".
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Messing around with this for the very first time, so need some help here.

It seems that if I select an entry in the table, and there's an override version of the file, it loads the override version rather than the packed version, correct?

However, if a file is only in override and not packed in the main datafiles, it won't show in the list. It would be a lot more convenient if all override files were included in the list. Is there a setting to do that?
    @Thels I suppose you're talking about the navigation bar. You can control where to show override files in the Options menu. See this Wiki link for more details.

Option "Split Between ??? and Override Folders" is selected by default which places resources found only in the override folder of the game into the "Override" folder of the navigation bar.