Skip to content

The Road to v1.3 (BG:EE), Phase III

Comments

• AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    I've decided to fire up the beta after finishing BG2EE. I was wondering... is it still the same beta? i.e. 00764? Or do I need to reapply for access?
    If so, I'm getting a crash to desktop when trying to run the game... The client redirects me to http://www.beamdog.com/support/764?error=-1073740771&lang=en
    I don't know the version number since I can't start the game. build-date.txt tells me the latest build date is Thu Apr 10 09:12:30 MDT 2014
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I know I'm a bit late on the whole "no patching in the good old days" thing, but here's some food for thought.

In the good old days, "patching" was essentially releasing a new version of the game that people would have to purchase all over again if they didn't have BBS-capable hardware. Modern Autopatchery is a step in the right direction, even if it pushes releasing soonisher from "release candidate" to "public beta"
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited May 2014
    After releasing the patch there still will be maybe 1month for solving bugs and problems in popular mods (since i can't believe there won't be any conflicts between new patch content and mods like SCS, NPCProject or BG Tweaks), so no need to hurry up. I'm sure before holidays everything should run smoothly :)
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328

Dee said:

Successful Tests: 0 / 721
    Any chance that saddening counter could have an update so we know what's going on with this phase? If the number left isn't all that big I'm sure you could convince the community here to blast through it over the weekend or something and be done with it.
    To be honest I don't think it about the number anymore I think they are doing there own test and work about stuff between themselves that why Dee don't update the numbers, that only my guess. Also I don't think it will take them long to give us the update as the android is out.
  • OtakuOtaku Member Posts: 42
    Please, we need a sign of life from the work on the patch. anything :-(
  • KhoryaceKhoryace Member Posts: 79
    Don't hype yourself too much. The developpement team for these patches is very small and rely on the community pretty much for everything. I doubt we will see a patch anytime soon as they are probably trying to get a "final" version of the engine ready for BG3.
  • OtakuOtaku Member Posts: 42
    I dont think now about a new game they "can" make... better that team patch for now the other two title finished mmmmh ....
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited May 2014
    Khoryace said:

Don't hype yourself too much. The developpement team for these patches is very small and rely on the community pretty much for everything. I doubt we will see a patch anytime soon as they are probably trying to get a "final" version of the engine ready for BG3.

The current state of BG2:EE practically requires a Fixpack. Like this one. On what planet has Beamdog proven itself even remotely capable of doing BG3?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    shawne said:

On what planet has Beamdog proven itself even remotely capable of doing BG3?

Abeir-Toril? I'm sure their coding and programming is way better than anyone there :P
    edited May 2014
    Effiny said:

Also I don't think it will take them long to give us the update as the android is out.

It IS already taking too long...:-/

Maybe it taking longer then we want to but I'm sure they are doing there best, and as
    Khoryace said:

The developpement team for these patches is very small

so we have to think about that too we don't want a broken update we want a good one and as if it a final update or not I do not know.
  • SweetMagooMagoodleSweetMagooMagoodle Member Posts: 40
    Oh, I definitely would rather have them take their time and get out a substantive, fully functional patch that creates no new bugs rather than rush it out in a form that creates more frustrations for everyone. I would appreciate regular updates though. I wouldn't mind the long wait if I were in the middle of a game, but I have been putting off starting my next play through waiting for the BGEE patch... caught betwixt and between. Hence, I reserve my right to vent sanctimoniously.
  • EffinyEffiny Member Posts: 378
    kaguana said:

Effiny said:

Also I don't think it will take them long to give us the update as the android is out.

It IS already taking too long...:-/

Maybe it taking longer then we want to but I'm sure they are doing there best, and as
    Khoryace said:

The developpement team for these patches is very small

so we have to think about that too we don't want a broken update we want a good one and as if it a final update or not I do not know.
    Sure, I agree with you about patch that will fix things and not break them. BUT, Dee should't had mention that patch is near the release because nothing happend since that announcement. I know that devs don't want to set a specific date to avoid disappointment but they achieved it anyway. Any update about patch progress would really help to calm down the community.
    @Effiny I know that lack of data make us all feel disappointment and we all want that update but I think the BG1EE game is good enough for playing. I think that people that wanna play should just go and play it and stop waiting for the next update because if people will keep waiting for the next update and the next after and next after and so on (don't know how many updates there will be) they will not enjoy the game at all. That only my way of thinking, I want that update as well as anyone but it not stopping me from playing the game if I want to (when I got the time to).
  • EffinyEffiny Member Posts: 378
    kaguana said:

@Effiny I know that lack of data make us all feel disappointment and we all want that update but I think the BG1EE game is good enough for playing. I think that people that wanna play should just go and play it and stop waiting for the next update because if people will keep waiting for the next update and the next after and next after and so on (don't know how many updates there will be) they will not enjoy the game at all. That only my way of thinking, I want that update as well as anyone but it not stopping me from playing the game if I want to (when I got the time to).

Then I envy you, because current state of BG1EE irritates me. Last patch brought change in NPC voices and it caused that every NPC line is cut in the second you click on something else. So instead of hearing e.g. "Stooop touching meee", you hear "Stooop t-". I was able to play it like this for a few months but when I red about patch 1.3, I desided to wait and start new run after release. So I could finally enjoy BG1EE in all its glory. BG2EE is another story...I played it with Czech subtitles for the last 15 years and last patch broke compatibility with the translate. I tried to play it in English, but it's simply not THE Baldur's Gate I'm used to play for so many years. It's never ending story with these patches...They fix one thing and break ten others. I'm quite scared of this new patch, because it should bring so many fixes (let's hope so) and interesting improvements. I only wish it will fix bugs I stated here and I'll be one happy panda.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @GreenWarlock: What makes this all the more irritating is that it's happened before. Patch 1.0.2048 introduced four new kits, most of which were bugged; Shadowdancer in particular stayed broken all the way to 1.2 nine months later. Clearly, no lessons were learned in the interim.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Dee said:

There's at least one new feature in this patch that we haven't announced yet, and for the people that will want to use it it'll be pretty darn exciting. Stay tuned!

Is it the loot button everybody likes? A race? A subrace? A kit? Portaits? Soundsets? Ease of use for some feature or the other? I won't know, because you're not supposed to tell us! I'm just hyping, because like a kitten seeing a bag of treats, I'm waiting. Albeit somewhat more patiently than most kittens.

Oh, I definitely would rather have them take their time and get out a substantive, fully functional patch that creates no new bugs rather than rush it out in a form that creates more frustrations for everyone.

this also neat new feature

All moments in time.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited May 2014
    Dee said:

There's at least one new feature in this patch that we haven't announced yet, and for the people that will want to use it it'll be pretty darn exciting. Stay tuned!

Is it the loot button everybody likes? A race? A subrace? A kit? Portaits? Soundsets? Ease of use for some feature or the other?

Nah, it's just something (whatever) to keep people busy guessing and make them stop complaining about the patch being late.

I'm amazed this actually works. I wonder if @Dee will brag on his blog on how clever this tactic is.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,744
    Game developers are optimistic people. Well, if Beamdog weren't optimistic we would never see any revival of BG. So, Beamdog seems to be even more optimistic than some other game developers.

The act of creating anything requires a certain degree of optimism, as you start from a blank problem and create a solution. But the reality is this never goes as smoothly as planned.

In most cases, you find out the initial selected approach is not the correct one. More often than not developers get caught on a “light” estimate for how long something is going to take.

So, this is a general problem and should be understandable. Let us all just wait a little bit longer. We have waited for so long already so that waiting more shouldn't be troublesome.
    Effiny said:

Then I envy you, because current state of BG1EE irritates me. Last patch brought change in NPC voices and it caused that every NPC line is cut in the second you click on something else. So instead of hearing e.g. "Stooop touching meee", you hear "Stooop t-". I was able to play it like this for a few months but when I red about patch 1.3, I desided to wait and start new run after release. So I could finally enjoy BG1EE in all its glory. BG2EE is another story...I played it with Czech subtitles for the last 15 years and last patch broke compatibility with the translate. I tried to play it in English, but it's simply not THE Baldur's Gate I'm used to play for so many years. It's never ending story with these patches...They fix one thing and break ten others. I'm quite scared of this new patch, because it should bring so many fixes (let's hope so) and interesting improvements. I only wish it will fix bugs I stated here and I'll be one happy panda.

Well yeah the NPC voices cut is irritate me as well but I'm trying to ignore that when I'm playing, that how I can play, of course I would have like them to be as they were but that will take time as the patch isn't release yet. As for BG2EE I didn't started it yet because all the complain of people about the quests bugs so I'm waiting on that tho seem it will take a long time till there will be a patch for it.

Thx Dee for the little update, I hope it won't take too long
  • jak_drizztjak_drizzt Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2014
    @Dee, a new feature? The npc voices?
    Game improving and bugs fixing it's obviously a fine thing to do but i really do not understand why this isn't happening at the same time for all the platforms this game can be played.
    As i've wrote before i'm the awkward situation in which, since the update 1.3.2049 for Mac, my group of friends (1 with Mac, 2 with Windows) can't play together anymore, because the windows version is still 1.2.0.

It's very frustating because we're not asking anything special, we just bought this game we never played, checked the multipayer was multi-platform friendly, played less than 10 sessions and then...an "update" stopped everything.
    It's happened only a week ago but your words make me guess nothing it's coming out in the next... weeks.
  • jak_drizztjak_drizzt Member Posts: 3
    if not months...
This discussion has been closed.