Skip to content

The Roleplaying Challenge (Tomb of Horrors)

Comments

• AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    "Xzar is looking about the area he is in wondering what the hell is going on, and why Edwin is so damn quiet"
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    OOC I think the plan is to start about 3pm EST (8pm UK time )
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @Permidion_Stark geeez, bad bad bad, i'm trying not to play bg1 right now.....lol, btw, the first vid seemed kinda perverted, the second vid gave me a hint to your char's personality. Thank you. And thanks everyone for actually commenting fondly about my death. *glares @ @IchigoRXC* well, almost everyone :)
    Bjjorick said:

@Permidion_Stark geeez, bad bad bad, i'm trying not to play bg1 right now.....lol, btw, the first vid seemed kinda perverted, the second vid gave me a hint to your char's personality. Thank you. And thanks everyone for actually commenting fondly about my death. *glares @ @IchigoRXC* well, almost everyone :)

I like both videos but the first one makes me laugh a lot. I had nothing to do with them by the way, I just found them on YouTube.
    @permidion_stark will definately have to pick up alora on my next play through. i was wondering why people kept quoting happy happy joy joy in relation to bg1. Also, i even looked for the char on mike's rpg center and couldn't find mention of her :P
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

Okay. I'm awake! Wake up everybody! Let's explore some more!

"Ugh, don't bother me..."

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Keldorn readily wakes up and after his morning prayers and a quick breakfast starts to prepare himself for on more day.
    OOC: you know, i'm surprised we don't have anyone who wants to play imoen around? i tought for sure that char would be one of the first claimed.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    OOC: I'm surprised no one's playing Viconia.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Posts: 201
    edited August 2012
    @Bjjorick @Awong124 OOC: Those were my first two options. But I haven´t played the game for such a long time that I didnt want to murder those characters by RPing them really badly. So I went for Ajantis, no ones cares about him xD, right?
    @Alejandro OOC Well enough that your still alive....
    @Alejandro lol sadly, i don't know who he was either, but fyi, i didn't want to play aerie for worry that i wouldn't be able to do justice to her, but i'm happy with everything but the dying part. And people seemed to think i did a good job, maybe you should go with imoen/viconia. Guess give us an ooc example of the two chars. bet you'll do better then you think :)
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Posts: 201
    OOC @Amardarial I meant murdering them in kind of a "lore" or "character tone/style" way. I don't really remember how they would behave. Like Ajantis, I have no clue how he behaved in game. But thanks! :D
    @Alejandro Why I picked Xzar, I tend to always have him or edwin so...always hated going to gnoll fortress so rarely had the witch...
    edited August 2012
    OOC if we go by the BG1 NPC project, Ajantis is a young squire sure of his faith and his calling as a paladin of Helm, he was tutored by Keldorn in The Order. I don~t remember if he had been knighted already when BG1 envents happened.
    OOC sadly i don't know as many of the npc chars as i should. once thing i didn't quite like about bg was the lack of party members but lol, guess it would have been harder to have 10 people in your party, and they surely wouldn't have made them so memorable if you could have 10. why i really love this thread, i'm getting to know chars that i never got a chance to before. i'm kinda sad ajws isn't playing, as i've always wanted to take jan along because he seems interesting, but i always play a mage compbo (first playthough of bg:ee will be fighter/cleric/mage.....when they get rid of xp cap.....) so i never have room for an extra mage since i have aerie as well.
    OOC I assumed everyone knew their characters really well because you all seem to have them down to a tee. I'm really enjoying all the stuff you guys come up with because I can hear the character voices in my head and it's like having endless new dialogue options.

With regard to Imoen, I think she would be quite tough to play. She doesn't have many interactions in BG1 and so doesn't really form relationships with any of the other NPCs. And in BG2 she's a very different person. So I guess you'd have to choose between happy-go-lucky Imoen and tortured soul(less) Imoen.

Viconia would be lots of fun though.

OOC no doubt you could do happy go lucky imoen after seeing you play alora. don't think we've had a tortured char so far. and while i enjoy aerie alot, it's hard to type in the hesitation she uses alot of time lol. especially since i'm a bit brash.
    edited August 2012
    OOC To say the truth I barely remember Keldorn. It´s been years since I added him to the party as I believe the way the Inquisitor was implemented in BG2 was a little overpowered... Dispel magic at 2x his level is too much. The original Inquisitor in second edition had detect magic and dispel magic, both only worked on magic cast by evil spellcasters and a resistance against illusions that started at 80% and went up with level. He was to evil spellcasters what an undead hunter is to undeads.
    OOC man mlnevese i need to find someone to play some 2e pnp dnd with again. i don't think i could get into 4e, and didn't take to 3e very well, but i loved 2e so much. sadly no one around here seems to play, or maybe i'm just old and out of touch (pretty good for being in my early 30's :P )

any of you still play from time to time irl?
    edited August 2012
    OOC we have a monthly game in my house with some of the old gang we started playing 20 or so years ago... we´re giving 4e a try to see how it works. Although I still do no like it, I must say that the classes play quite differently in a real game. No way my wife´s Shadar-kay Assassin-Rogue Hybrid could withstand what one of my friend´s Battlemaster does. The party´s wizard has saved the entire party more than once with his abilities.

I still miss real spells though and believe 5e is going in the right direction.

We could always have a game in some dedicated board, of course. There are some good ones with built-in dice rollers and all. Unfortunately getting together irl would be quite hard as we´re from different countries/continents.
    OOC @mlnevese while i'm enjoying this thread quite a bit, and this is just more of a guilty pleasure/enjoyable torture dungeon, i'm not sure if doing it on a forum or chat room would be the same, even if there was voip/etc. Something about sitting around in a room full of friends and people you may not know all that well for numerous hours on end (taking a weekend off from work and only getting 4 hours of sleep :) ) was part of the allure i guess. like everyone chipping in for pizza or.....

i can't say it exactly, there are truely no words to describe what i'm trying to say except that it's the little things i guess i miss. I could go into more details but it's not entirely related to dnd and it's also a long story. I know the game will be back up soon and i'm not long til sleep. Maybe it's just a lost youth kind of thing? I'm glad to see that some people still play and mostly enjoy the game, and will have to wait and see on 5e. :)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'd be more than happy to be Imoen :D... Shar-Teel would be fun, too. Neither are as awesome, of course, as you're beloved and highly missed GARRICK! C'mon, admit it. You know it's true!

And here's Minsc, actually believing that he has the face that the ladies love...
    @reedmilfam

OOC I'm really looking forward to seeing Garrick in action (but of course I'm hoping I'm not the next one in the gang to die)
    edited August 2012
    @reedmilfam yes.....but if you actually want to play, you might want to choose someone other then garrick....since i'm pretty sure he'll be spending a year or so washing dishes when all the people who were told you were picking up the tab find you :)

and i've been wanting to say this for the longest time, but the garrick from star trek deep space 9 is the coolest garrick ever. I would love it if you could play garrick like him. Maybe i'm the only trekkie geek here, but i think one of the things i didn't care for was i was deep into star trek when i was playing bg, and when i saw the name garrick, and then saw the char, was very disappointed. :((

edit: didn't ajws (playing jan) say that he wouldn't be able to play due to time difference? wouldn't that mean that garrick would be allowed to jump in?
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    OOC: To be fair we have to think of a way for Garrick to get to us too haha.
    edited August 2012
    I think it's funnier to have Garrick's Misadventures of Fail and bring Imoen.

As for ( @Bjjorick ) Garak (spelling) - yes, he was awesome, especially when he played evil. Elim Garak was phenomenal and made Cardassians sort of cool in a vile wicked sort of way. Edwin would love them!

Can we call Boo a TRIBBLE? Just asking...

@reedmilfam yeah, i knew that it was spelled different but didn't want look like an idiot so i took the sure path, nd made myself look like an idiot. :)

And the one thing i liked about garak on ds9 was the levels of mystery and subterfuge in everything he did, even the most simple of conversations. Gul Dukat, he was awesome as an evil char, and i watched the behind the scenes (since i have the boxed collectors edition of all the star treks) and marc alimo (who played dukat) was saying how it was his first time to be a villian that lasted more then one or two episodes. he usually comes on a show, does his evil thing, and then gets killed.

I loved how dukat progressed during the story but never really changed. And with Garak, i loved how he never seemed to progres, but changed so much through out the series. Those two finally made me like the cardassians.
    @Bjjorick - It kills me that Ziyal had to die. That was something interesting! Overall, DS9 was the best and one of my favorite shows of all time. We have all the TNG and beyond series on DVD (except the prequels, which were horribly done). Good stuff and second only to Minsc and Boo in their epic greatness in the annals of beloved lore!
    @reedmilfam Ziyal, yeah, but that is a great example of what i was saying about dukat and garak. Heart breaking though. TNG was always my favorite, but over time, DS9 won out for the continuation of the story from ep to ep.

Star trek is an epic to me like baldur's gate and PS:T. I would love to see a team like bioware of old or depending on the skills of the beamdog staff, do a good rpg of Star trek in the BG fashion. As far as great combat, excellent lore, abilities. But the prime of the game would be set on the story. And BG has story.

I know it's just a dream, but heh, if KotOR can kick ass, i'm sure someone can come out with a truely excellent star trek game. :)