Skip to content

The Road to v1.3 (BG:EE), Phase IV

Comments

• PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    shawne said:

If that statement was even remotely true, they'd be up to 1.5 for both games and have three DLCs out by now.

You... do know that they're a comparatively small team and that bugquashing isn't the fastest thing in the world to do even at the best of times, right?
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    I dont want to be insulting but i dont get it.

Those few fixes, so long time and several people working on it?

Uap for arcanum was one dude in his spare time and he fixed many many more bugs. Or the restoration project of fallout 2.

Because its many platforms maybe?
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Pokota said:

You... do know that they're a comparatively small team and that bugquashing isn't the fastest thing in the world to do even at the best of times, right?

Wasn't the whole point of this beta-testing to add more eyes and hands? Wasn't Dee on Gamasutra a while back singing Beamdog's praises on how they revolutionized beta testing? You can't have it both ways - either the additional testers are making an impact (in which case why is the move from 1.2 to 1.3 taking as long as 1.0.2048 to 1.2?) or they're not (so what's the point of all this Road to Farce nonsense?).
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    At this point I'd rather wait until it's 100% complete, because if they rush this release out it'll be another year before any new bugs are fixed.
    shawneCrevsDaakkaguana
  • variattvariatt Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2014
    elminster said:

variatt said:

According to the info in the first post: "Release the Patch! (103 / 500)". So this gonna take serious amount of time, 4-5 months, I guess.

As has been mentioned previously here there are only about 6 bugs left to be fixed (out of hundreds). So this is not something that is going to take 4-5 months.
    Yes, I think I've seen it before :) But anyway, they still need confirmation from almost 400 people, right? Something tells me that the whole enthusiasm for testing the new beta patch is much smaller than in the case of first patches. But anyway, 500 isn't some kind of magic number, maybe 250 confirmations will be enough :)

(sorry for the language mistakes)
  • maltmalt Member Posts: 3
    I really appreciate your time and effort.
    I just want to play BG:EE with iPad in Japanese language.
    even if language-pack is $50, I'll be sure to pay with pleasure!
    I love BG. thank you.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    variatt said:

elminster said:

variatt said:

According to the info in the first post: "Release the Patch! (103 / 500)". So this gonna take serious amount of time, 4-5 months, I guess.

As has been mentioned previously here there are only about 6 bugs left to be fixed (out of hundreds). So this is not something that is going to take 4-5 months.
    Yes, I think I've seen it before :) But anyway, they still need confirmation from almost 400 people, right? Something tells me that the whole enthusiasm for testing the new beta patch is much smaller than in the case of first patches. But anyway, 500 isn't some kind of magic number, maybe 250 confirmations will be enough :)

(sorry for the language mistakes)
    Honestly there isn't anything wrong with your language. Nothing serious anyways given this is a forum and not an english class.

Anyways as I understand it when these issues are fixed they will release the patch. So they aren't going to wait for another 350+ confirmations or whatever.
    CrevsDaak
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    elminster said:

Anyways as I understand it when these issues are fixed they will release the patch. So they aren't going to wait for another 350+ confirmations or whatever.

Having a few more days of betatesting after those fixes is always healthy. Sometimes a fix breaks something else.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited July 2014
    shawne said:

Pokota said:

Wasn't the whole point of this beta-testing to add more eyes and hands? Wasn't Dee on Gamasutra a while back singing Beamdog's praises on how they revolutionized beta testing? You can't have it both ways - either the additional testers are making an impact (in which case why is the move from 1.2 to 1.3 taking as long as 1.0.2048 to 1.2?) or they're not (so what's the point of all this Road to Farce nonsense?).
    Overhaul isn't doing anything that indie developers don't do already, just ask Kornel Kisielewicz. What appears to make them different is that they're part of a corporation as opposed to being an indie team.

As for making an impact, I don't know. They may just be waiting on Dee or someone from corporate to give the green light to an update at this point (hope so), they may still be waiting for more positive responses from the current beta (possible), they may have found that one of their fixes breaks something else (hope not), or they may have another Atari situation on their hands (dear Lord I hope not).

Also, to the developers: get a PR person if feasible. You're trying too hard to look like an indie team and it's not helping.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Pokota said:

shawne said:

Pokota said:

Also, to the developers: get a PR person if feasible. You're trying too hard to look like an indie team and it's not helping.
    Huh? what corporation you talk about? And how Beamdog/Overhaul isn't indie? Half of their staff is former IE modders! Bugfixing is indeed a slow business once you fixed most of the bugs.
    DargnonCrevsDaakelminster
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited July 2014
    BG:EE and BG2:EE were published by Atari, so technically Beamdog is not an indie developer. For them to be one they would need to either self-finance or crowd-finance the development of their games.

Though it's true they are similar in size to a typical larger indie developer.
    TJ_Hooker
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Publisher != Developer
    CrevsDaak
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @jackjack I didn't say that was the case. The most commonly used definition for indie game is a game that was developed by a small team without financial support from a publisher. Indie developers publish their own games. Since BG:EE and BG2:EE were published (and I assume also financed to an extent) by Atari, Beamdog is not an indie developer.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    If Atari had contributed anything whatsoever other than consent to develop the game, I would agree with you. But the fact is, this is an indie-sized team at work.
    ronaldo
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    jackjack said:

If Atari had contributed anything whatsoever other than consent to develop the game, I would agree with you. But the fact is, this is an indie-sized team at work.

That is true. However, Adul's point is also valid. BGEE is an overhaul of an existing non-indy game, as such it's a bit of a mixed bag as to how "indy" one considers it.
    jackjack
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Actually, lots of indie games are now published, and Beamdog funds a lot of our own development as far as I'm aware. :)
    elminsterjackjackkaguana
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited July 2014

Huh? what corporation you talk about? And how Beamdog/Overhaul isn't indie? Half of their staff is former IE modders!

Hmm... now I'm confused, because:
    Jalily said:

Beamdog is not indie...

(http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/241658/#Comment_241658)
    jackjack
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Dee, or any of y'all,

Is the 1.3 beta now closed?

Inquiring because I have requested approval/access 3 times now in the past week, on the specified web form from the other thread.
    I haven't seen any response yet, yea or nay.

Bob Lewis,
    aka dreamrider
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Hi @dreamrider‌
    Dee has said somewhere that he is on holiday/vacation so while able to pop up on the forums from time to time beta access requests might be waiting on his return.
    elminsterjackjackCrevsDaak
  • Daralon87Daralon87 Member Posts: 236
    edited July 2014
    Minsc and Boo

http://screenburn.kotaku.com/new-baldurs-gate-comic-series-featuring-minsc-and-his-h-1605858339/+Fahey

Ahh, we are all heroes, you and me and Boo, hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    just lol at that comic
  • Daralon87Daralon87 Member Posts: 236
    A good new allright?! It make a change fŕom PC!
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Gate70 said:

Hi @dreamrider‌
    Dee has said somewhere that he is on holiday/vacation so while able to pop up on the forums from time to time beta access requests might be waiting on his return.

Thanks, gate!

I've got some experimenting to do, so guess I'll just start a 1.2.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    @dreamrider if I'm not mistaken @Dee should be back after this weekend from his vacation
  • ArturArtur Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2014
    So about that quickloot feature for BG1EE...
    Edit:Apparently it's already part of the patch?Glorious.

Can we still provide suggestions?
  • dudechesterdudechester Member Posts: 2
    What's going on??? Haven't got through tutorial yet. For this money on a tablet device, its more than most games in the store, yet it doesn't work stable at all. First I accidently minimised the screen and it doesn't go back to the game if this happens, which is a terrible problem since it can often happen. When I got to the thief in tutorial, it told me to search for traps, and pressing this button made the game close down saying, "sorry unfortunately stopped". Well unfortunately I just spent £7 on an ancient game I wanted try on my Xperia z2, that's clearly not been tested yet. When will this be fixed please? I've started the tutorial 3 times now, and want to finish it.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Okay, another small bug. The custom script for clerics to activate undead turning when undead appear is not working.

Icharyd nearly killed me!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    @Anduin just to keep spelling issues (and other text errors) all together you might want to also point out this in

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17044/please-report-game-text-errors-here/p1
    jackjackAnduinlolienNecdilzor