Skip to content

The Road to v1.3 (BG:EE), Phase IV

Comments

• dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Newly noticed glitch.

Currently in Chapter 3.
    Journal.

On pages of the Journal that have a slider bar, the grab'n'pull slider knob does not work in the DOWN direction, if the knob is at the top of the slider. It will work if it is somewhere in the middle of the slider bar already, or at the bottom.

Also, the "UP" arrowhead at the end of the slider bar does not seem to work at all. The down arrowhead seems to work fine.

The slider "junp-slide", by clicking somewhere on the bar itself, does not seem to work if you click on the bar within ~1/2" of the up arrowhead. Elsewhere on the bar, it seems to work OK.

Scroll wheel seems to work fine.

(I know, I know - "How does he find this niddly little sh...stuff?" )
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited August 2014
    Good catch, @dreamrider‌ - actually, those sliders shouldn't even be there at this point, since dragging the screen works just as well as using the mouse wheel to scroll. Looks like the "Journal" and "User" sections of the screen still have it.
    Is there some option to STOP the screen from re-centering on the active character/party center-of-mass every time the player un-pauses with the space bar?

I have a lot of pause triggers turned on, in order to micro-manage the battles, and it is VERY annoying/disrupting to have to re-adust the screen for the best scope of action above the expanded text window every time a character's "end-of-round" or "target gone" pause occurs.

Is it really SUPPOSED to work this way?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,872
    Have you got this option enabled or disabled @dreamrider‌
    Thanks, Gate70. That option was ON by default when I installed the beta, and I did not give it sufficient notice when I reviewed set up, I guess.

Still, a point to be considered.
    Is ON really an appropriate default for this setting? Consideration should be given that at least the mid-sized text window is pretty necessary for combat management, and with re-centering to the active character, much of the situation will be covered by the text window each time the display re-centers.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Still, a point to be considered.
    Is ON really an appropriate default for this setting? Consideration should be given that at least the mid-sized text window is pretty necessary for combat management, and with re-centering to the active character, much of the situation will be covered by the text window each time the display re-centers.

Yes, if your game pauses, and you don't know why... and no character is centered, you could probably miss what was going on, unpause and lose the fight/step over a trap/etc (anyway I always disable that since I play solo and well... I dunno which other character could be centering itself in the middle of the screen :P).
    Have I commented before that Bentley Mirrorshades at the FAI is not allowing the player sale of multiple like items to be broken down to sell a lesser amount?

The amount-to-sell interface never comes up, and the group of items in the backpack is priced at a total price, not a per item price, which I have never seen happen before this beta.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    I can see why that would help
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 108
    @Dee‌

As others ( @Tarquin‌ and @Silverstar‌ ) have asked, can we get some type of feedback on cloud saves? I think we all get that we won't have an estimated completion date, but at the very least, a "We know we talked it up and we think about looking into it every once in a while?"

Or are they completely out of the picture for the EE games? Which would also be good info to have.
    Dee said:

Adul said:

A weird thing tends to happen to my game in this beta where after a seemingly random duration of play time typically ranging from 2 to 5 hours the game screen starts to flicker when loading areas and also sometimes when just playing/exploring. The map image of the map window sometimes disappears while this is happening, leaving only a dark blue background. Seems like it might be some issue with the rendering engine, maybe.

I don't recall this ever happening with v1.2 or the previous 1.3 beta version. I have a hard time reproducing this issue, but it has happened to me about 4 times now in the past 2 days. Restarting the game solves it temporarily.

I think we've solved it; there was some messiness in the code to do with the green-tint overlay on spell scrolls. Next build should be a lot smoother.
    I hope that is all. Since the OP, I have noticed that I get the flashing occasionally even just on the pre-generate character pages, before even starting/loading a full game.

edited August 2014
    I don't know that this is actually a glitch; it may just have been a lucky fluke - but it DID enable me to take advantage of both sides of one of the either/or choices in the game.

At the confrontation at the hunting lodge in the 1st Cloakwood map, my party sided with the druids and took on Alden Sashenstar and his pals.

I had an all-missile party that had done a fair bit of messing around up and down the Coastway before coming to Cloakwood, and all were ~4th level.

Several of the party got in very solid shots on Sashenstar in the very first volley, maybe a crit hit or two. In any case, Sashenstar was killed almost immediately, either by the first volley, or by the first hit of the 2nd round.

He died before his two (rather dull) friends realized what was going on; i.e. before the engine converted Palin and Banquo to hostile. They remained neutral. That is key.

I could not finish the event in a normal way. When I tried to talk to Seniyad after killing Sashenstar, I just got a general druid "Watch it, you're in my forest" one-liner from him, and he continued standing around with his three underlings. So did Palin and Banquo.

I saved the situation, then ambushed/killed Palin and Banquo, to see if Seniyad's resolution script was only triggered by all 3 hunters being dead. That worked, Seniyad gave directions to the Iron Throne hidden mine, warned me of forest dangers, and walked off into the woods. Normal stuff.

Then I went back to the save, after Sashenstar's death, when Palin and Banquo are standing around in blue circles, and so are all the druids. I set the party up carefully, cast Silence on the druids before starting any hostilities, then engaged and killed all the druids, scoring their points and all their stuff. Palin and Banquo were still just standing around. So I engaged and killed them, as well.

I took no Reputation hit, and I scored the XP and the loot from both sides.

Its nice, but I'm not sure it is supposed to be possible.

(BTW - that Druid's ring goes very nicely on my Archer CHARNAME, restoring the one major Ranger capability that he gives up by being an Archer - not that Charm Animal is a spectacularly useful power. )
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    I'm seconding @Adul post, It happen to me as well.
  • AponauAponau Member Posts: 7
    I have noticed that on the Android version as well.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'm posting this here in the event that a public beta tester comes across this (so they know its been reported internally).

Platform: Mac (OS Lion)

I've tested this on PC and it appears to be only be an issue only for macs (and a regression from 1.2)

1) Load attached save
    2) Select Shia
    3) Hold down ctrl
    4) Left click the portrait of Khalid
    5) Notice that the game goes into Khalid's inventory screen. (This seems to happen when you do this while holding down either the ctrl, shift, command, or alt keys or have capslock on)
    6) Ctrl + left clicking a portrait should result in you either selecting that character or deselecting that character. It should not cause you to go into their inventory screen.

Likewise when you instead hold down ctrl and click on the sprite on the screen it should not just trigger that characters selection line. That character should become selected.

edited August 2014
    elminster said:

I'm posting this here in the event that a public beta tester comes across this (so they know its been reported internally).

I've tested this on PC and it appears to be only be an issue only for macs (and a regression from 1.2)

1) Load attached save
    2) Select Shia
    3) Hold down ctrl
    5) Notice that the game goes into Khalid's inventory screen. (This seems to happen when you do this while holding down either the ctrl, shift, command, or alt keys or have capslock on)
    6) Ctrl + left clicking a portrait should result in you either selecting that character or deselecting that character. It should not cause you to go into their inventory screen.

Likewise when you instead hold down ctrl and click on the sprite on the screen it should not just trigger that characters selection line. That character should become selected.

What happens when you cmd click? Ctrl click on Mac is supposed to work like right-click.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    edited August 2014

I don't know that this is actually a glitch; it may just have been a lucky fluke - but it DID enable me to take advantage of both sides of one of the either/or choices in the game.

At the confrontation at the hunting lodge in the 1st Cloakwood map, my party sided with the druids and took on Alden Sashenstar and his pals.

I had an all-missile party that had done a fair bit of messing around up and down the Coastway before coming to Cloakwood, and all were ~4th level.

Several of the party got in very solid shots on Sashenstar in the very first volley, maybe a crit hit or two. In any case, Sashenstar was killed almost immediately, either by the first volley, or by the first hit of the 2nd round.

He died before his two (rather dull) friends realized what was going on; i.e. before the engine converted Palin and Banquo to hostile. They remained neutral. That is key.

I could not finish the event in a normal way. When I tried to talk to Seniyad after killing Sashenstar, I just got a general druid "Watch it, you're in my forest" one-liner from him, and he continued standing around with his three underlings. So did Palin and Banquo.

I saved the situation, then ambushed/killed Palin and Banquo, to see if Seniyad's resolution script was only triggered by all 3 hunters being dead. That worked, Seniyad gave directions to the Iron Throne hidden mine, warned me of forest dangers, and walked off into the woods. Normal stuff.

Then I went back to the save, after Sashenstar's death, when Palin and Banquo are standing around in blue circles, and so are all the druids. I set the party up carefully, cast Silence on the druids before starting any hostilities, then engaged and killed all the druids, scoring their points and all their stuff. Palin and Banquo were still just standing around. So I engaged and killed them, as well.

I took no Reputation hit, and I scored the XP and the loot from both sides.

Its nice, but I'm not sure it is supposed to be possible.

(BTW - that Druid's ring goes very nicely on my Archer CHARNAME, restoring the one major Ranger capability that he gives up by being an Archer - not that Charm Animal is a spectacularly useful power. )

A friend of mine and myself also experienced this in a multiplayer game together.
    Post edited by Varwulf on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Adul said:

Since the last update to the beta it seem to be more difficult to leave each map (by clicking on the edge of an area) with a party of characters. I believe something has been changed recently that made it worse. Let me explain.

Expected behavior: when you click on the edge of an area, your party walks over to the point you clicked, and as long as they're not too far apart from each other, the travel map opens up as soon as the first character touches the edge of the area.

Perceived behavior: when you click on the edge of an area, your party walks over to the point you clicked, and as long as they're not too far apart from each other, the travel map only opens when your commanding character touches the edge of the area.

This little change makes the whole party frequently bunch up at the edge of areas, unable to move forward for several seconds before your commanding character finally finds their way over to the edge of the area.

Agree. Good description of what I see, too.
    Dee said:

elminster said:

1) Load attached save
    2) Select Shia
    3) Hold down ctrl

What happens when you cmd click? Ctrl click on Mac is supposed to work like right-click.
    Cmd and left click on the portrait brings you to the inventory as well. I'll have to check cmd plus clicking on a sprite when I'm next able to.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Sergio said:

Doesn't that happen also with the old bg2? Because for me it worked like that.

Hmm, now that you mention it... I'm not quite sure, it's been a while since I've played vanilla BG1 or BG2. Could be the case, though. I just know that in BG:EE v1.2 it was easier to leave an area via the map edges, because each character in your party was able to open up the travel map by touching the edge.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Dee I tried Command + left clicking on a game sprite and all I get is the selection sound triggering but the character isn't actually selected.
    @elminster‌ Alright, We should be able to fix that then.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    The bug hunt continues...
  • stormcrow_wolfstormcrow_wolf Member Posts: 4
    Is there perhaps a fix for shapeshifters, that is the werewolf druids, to actually be able to shift their forms? I seem to have a listing for a necromancer's abilities rather than werewolf forms under special abilities.