Skip to content

Images of females in armour designed for protection, not seduction!

Comments

• kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    edited July 2014
    Artist name Leah Keeler

Post edited by kaguana on
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    @kaguana The first pair are by Larry Elmore. I haven't posted his images yes because I'm still struggling to finish the Bs. Every time I think I've done it, another excellent artist who's name begins with B pops up. The same applies to Leigh Keeler - many thanks for posting them. It gives the thread a bit more variety to throw out the alphabetical order every now and then :D.
    edited July 2014

Warrior Women Dressed To Kill ~ Never Go Into Battle Wearing Metal Lingerie

FIRST MONTH SUMMARY

This thread has now been going for just over a month YAY! It is obviously being followed because its getting over 100 views per day. We have had some pretty good discussions here, and people have posted some neat images. Also I’ve had some supportive posts that have given me a real buzz. Many thanks.
    I've lost count of the number of images that have been posted - but I can tell you I have posted galleries from 67 different artists. I've tried to include all eligible pictures from each artist, and posted them all together. I started a bit randomly, and then I settled down to posting artists in alphabetical order - with odd exceptions when people suggest an artist. I have tried to cover as many styles and genres of art as I can, putting my personal preferences to one side. I’m including all art from what could be termed speculative fictional worlds – Fantasy, sci-fi, steam punk, horror etc. I have also tried to cover as many different types of digital and traditional art as possible.
    I’m trying to post around ten images a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. I have plenty of material to keep going for at least a year, and by then I’ll probably have much more. So this thread isn’t going to go away.
    Please keep making suggestions. You don’t have to post an image, just give me the name and hopefully a link if you can find it.

HOW I CHOOSE THE IMAGES I’LL POST AND THOSE I WON’T

I don't want to be horrible, but can I remind everyone that the idea of this thread is for the armour to be reasonably believable within the style of the artist, and for it to actually cover all the bits that need covering. This collection is for armour that's designed for protection not seduction. We want to show that images of powerful, well armoured warrior women can still be as sexy as hell, beautiful, deeply moving, scary, impressive, funny or any combination of this list.

The groin is a very vulnerable area so no G string, bottom baring armour. Likewise for the abdomen, not covering that will get you killed really fast. And the breasts - breast themselves bleed like hell if you cut into them, and stabbing right through the cleavage is the best way to kill someone. Aim for the lower breast bone (which is pretty easy to break) or slightly to either side and you'll go straight into the right or the left ventricle, or if you aim a little higher you'll sever the aorta - all these almost certainly mean an instant kill!

Upper thighs, bare shoulders, collar bones etc are pushing things a bit, but I'm letting them into the collection. Boob shaped breastplates are also a bit dodgy, but you can still fight with one handed weapons while wearing them, even if it as a bit of a disadvantage.

So - pretty please no bare boobs, bums or bellies. Thanks.

Oh and finally - they have to be actually wearing armour. Not a uniform (even a military one), not camouflage without any actual armour, not nice tunic, not embroidered dresses, not even a leather corset over a dress - but actual armour. It can be leather, scale, chain, plate, sci-fi but it's got to be armour. Just because they are carrying a weapon doesn't make an outfit into armour. So bottom line - they have to be in armour :P
    Post edited by kiwidoc on
    I could only find two images in Keeler Leah's gallery of armour without cleavage etc. There may be more, but her blog gallery hasn't been finished, so there are no recent images there.

Keeler Leah

kiwidoc said:

@kaguana The first pair are by Larry Elmore. I haven't posted his images yes because I'm still struggling to finish the Bs. Every time I think I've done it, another excellent artist who's name begins with B pops up. The same applies to Leigh Keeler - many thanks for posting them. It gives the thread a bit more variety to throw out the alphabetical order every now and then :D.

Thank you for remind me of the name I update the post. I have those pictures for ages as I read the books ages ago ;)
    Hoo and I didn't notice it in the alphabetical order, it was really late last night I just lookd on the pictures and as I said it seem like missing some pictures so like Alora like to say I hop in to it ;) .
    @kaguana I have to do my posts in alphabetical order - I'm pretending it's because I can keep things organised this way, but it's really so I just don't splurge out with all my favourite artists at once ;)
    There are a lot of good once out there can't really balme you ;)
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Monster hunter! =D Another good game.
    @Elrandir - You've just proved you don't have to have loads of metal bikinis, leather fetish gear and bare boobs bellies and butts to have a good game :D
    I'm just sayin', leather fetish gear isn't the best when you're fighting giant flying dragon dinosaurs. I found that one out the hard way...
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    LadyRhian said:

And here's the one that's much better.

image by vinogradovalex

Armor is much better, but those stupid swords??? self-impalers she is holding make me cringe.
    kiwidoc said:

@LadyRhian Oh I know what you mean. The sheer amount of heaving, semi-naked female flesh and pulchritude I have to wade through to get a couple of decent pics of lady warriors is just ... well to be honest it makes me feel insulted as a woman. We are people not goddam walking sex toys! And what upsets me the most is that the female artists are just as bad as the males *sigh*

Even though I am a man, who loves the sight of a pretty woman, I can feel your pain. And even most men don't like artificial bimbos, like they are commonly portrayed in art.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Southpaw said:

LadyRhian said:

image by vinogradovalex

Armor is much better, but those stupid swords??? self-impalers she is holding make me cringe.
    This is one of the better ones, really.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    kiwidoc said:

Is this supposed to be Charlize Theron in Prometheus?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    LadyRhian said:

image by vinogradovalex

Proof that barbarians can be sexy without being seductive.
    @SharGuidesMyHand If I remember it right the pic with the blonde holding a helmet was a study based on a motorcycle cop.
    The "barbarian" makes me think of a female warrior wearing glass and/or elven armor from TES:Skyrim.
    edited July 2014
    Y'know, I just want to say... This is an awesome thread. When I first saw it I thought "Well that sounds cool, but I would never be interested in looking at tons of pictures." But then I took a look. And now I read every update. I think it helped that I got in fairly early on. Lady Rhian's picture thread has so many posts I'm too scared to even try and wade through it all, but here I can see it all as it comes out and it's just wonderful. Keep up the good work! =)
    @Elrandir many thanks :) I was pleasantly surpised by how many images there are, and how high the quality is. That's why I decided to make the Dressed To Kill tumblr.

Mind you, you can have no idea how much boobs, bellies, butts and utterly laughable armour I had to wade through to find these.

LadyRhian's thread is a bit overwhelming because it's so huge - but if you just sit at your PC with a glass of wine or a cup of tea and a cupcake on a nice, quiet afternoon and just slowly scroll through a page or two it's wonderfully relaxing, and well worth it!

Diane Kraus aka Satchelsbag ~ Part I

I have discovered several more images by this excellent artist. As her original gallery contained only two images, I have decided to create a new gallery, in two parts.

Diane Kraus aka Satchelsbag ~ Part II

I have discovered several more images by this excellent artist. As her original gallery contained only two images, I have decided to create a new gallery, in two parts.

I can't resist the urge to interrupt slightly with a joke.

by oglaf.com web-comics - warning, most of it is nsfw!
    @Southpaw I love it! And it sure hits the nail on the head :P
    edited July 2014
    I found an excellent little article by Ertaç Altınöz under this wonderful pic of a female Scythian archer

Quoted from Ertaç Altınöz

Hi,
    And there she is, the archer unit for Scythians : "Kadın Okçu"

Women warriors whom we might call Amazons did exist, but were they the legendary equestrian band of man-hating archers with partial mastectomies? Were they the same as the Amazons Herodotus describes? Kathy Sawyer, in Were Amazons More than Myths?, an article from the July 31, 1997 Salt Lake Tribune, suggests "the notion of such women ... [who] replenished their numbers by mating with men from other tribes, keeping the daughters and killing male infants ... sprang from ... an imaginative impulse in the male-dominated Greek society ...." But Germanic tribes had women warriors and Mongol families accompanied the armies of Genghis Khan, so the presence of women warriors was well attested even before Dr. Jeannine Davis-Kimball "spent five years excavating more than 150 burial mounds of 5th century B.C. nomads near Pokrovka, Russia."

Dr. Jeannine Davis-Kimball and The Center for the Study of the Eurasian Nomads (CSEN) provide information on the excavations of Sauromatian and Sarmatian Women in Davis-Kimball's Warrior Women. Among other evidence supporting the existence of Amazons in the area around the Steppes between Russia and Kazakhstan, they found skeletons of women warriors with weapons. Supporting the unusual society in which the women warriors lived, the excavators found no children buried beside the women, although they did find them beside the men. Dr. Jeannine Davis-Kimball conjectures that women functioned as rulers, priestesses, warriors, and domestics in this nomadic society.

In Return of the 50-foot Women, "Salon Magazine" interviews Dr. Jeannine Davis-Kimball who says the primary occupation of these matriarchal women was probably not "to run out and start slashing and burning," but to take care of their animals. Wars were fought to protect territory. Asked "Does post-feminist, late-20th century society have anything to learn from what you've found?" she answers that the idea that women stayed home to tend the children is not a universal and that there have been women in control for a very long time.

As to the identity of the women warriors Herodotus described and the ones recently excavated, Dr. Jeannine Davis-Kimball says they were probably not the same. The idea, mentioned in Strabo, that the Amazons were one-breasted makes little sense in light of the many fine two-breasted women archers. Artwork also shows the Amazons with two breasts.

Herodotus on the Amazons
    The Story of the Amazons settling with the Scythians: The Amazons (also called oiropatas -- man-killers) were taken captive by the Greeks and put on board ship where they murdered the crew. However, the Amazons didn't know how to sail so they floundered until they landed by the cliffs of the Scythians. There they took horses and fought the people. When the Scythians figured out that the warriors they were fighting were women, they resolved to impregnate them and schemed accordingly. The Amazons didn't resist, but encouraged the process which was complicated by a language barrier. In time, the men wished the women to become their wives, but the Amazons, knowing that they couldn't live within the Scythian patriarchy insisted the men leave their native land. The men obliged and a new land was set up. These people became the SAUROMATAE who spoke a version of Scythian adapted by the Amazons.

You can read more about them here:
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2133/whats-up-with-the-amazons

This discussion has been closed.