Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    vanatos said:

Photo's emerge of suspect in Jewish bomb threat with Hillary Clinton
    More details emerge of suspect on Jewish threats, photo'd with Hillary Clinton.

"OMG it's Hillary Clinton!

Excuse me Senator Clinton, it is an honour to meet you! Do you think you can take a quick picture with us?"

end of connection.
  • vanatosvanatos Member Posts: 876
    Democratic senator says she never met with Russian ambassador, but her own tweet contradicts claim

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/claire-mccaskill-tweets-contradictory-statements-about-russian-ambassador-meetings-2017-3?r=US&IR=T
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

Time for another investigation.

Like the one into Mike Pence, since it was revealed in the last day that HE was using a private email server (AOL lmfao) and was hacked. The FOX News response??:

edited March 2017
    What you are seeing is a flood of nonsense that means absolutely nothing. I'm sorry, but this Pelosi/Schumer/McCaskill stuff is exactly what I would expect from right-wing media. Totally devoid of all context, both from the time they happened (years ago) and our current situation. They are devoid of context ON PURPOSE to simply fool on sight and create a false equivalency where none exists. The Hillary Clinton one with this guy who made the threats against the community centers is just flat-out absurd. Unless you are prepared to lay blame at her feet for it, what is that photo trying to imply??
    edited March 2017
    DNC chair candidate says her job is to ‘shut other white people down’
    The Democratic National Committee’s search for a new chair includes a candidate who says that it is her job to “shut other white people down” when they deny possessing racial prejudice.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/24/sally-boynton-brown-dnc-chair-candidate-says-her-j/

The democratic party must not fall prey to extreme elements of far-left identity politics, unfortunately this rhetoric has cropped up many times.

Bernie Sanders got into controversy for comments he made as well.

This kind of rhetoric may attract unsavory extreme elements of the far-left.
    vanatos said:

Democratic senator says she never met with Russian ambassador, but her own tweet contradicts claim

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/claire-mccaskill-tweets-contradictory-statements-about-russian-ambassador-meetings-2017-3?r=US&IR=T

The thing about tweets are they meant to be short.

The first one in that snap shot, she is attempting to say "She doesn't call/meet Ambassadors by herself. Ever. All meetings are set up through the Foreign relations committee."

That way, there is a clear objective or discussion on the table and only that topic is going to be discussed. Such as the Russian adoption policy, or Iran sanctions.

But that's ok. Be dizzy and keep falling for the spin.
    edited March 2017
    Ahh so when it comes to Democrats we should try and interpret their written and oral statements in such a way as to be extremely lenient and give benefit of the doubt, perhaps they didn't recall, perhaps it was official Government business, perhaps technology affected their written statement to be misleading, perhaps their statements refer to another context they unfortunately didn't elaborate on.

This standard just happens to be not applied to the political party one does not favor.

This amuses me greatly.

Ex-Sanders spokeswoman: 'We don't need white people leading the Democratic Party right now'
    http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/307425-ex-sanders-spox-we-dont-need-white-people-leading-the-democratic-party

I am starting to see why unfortunately the Democrat party has been attracting the more extreme elements of the far-left.

I hope they publicly disavow such rhetoric so they do not scare away moderates.

I recall there being so many posts in this thread about anti-semitism and tying it to Trump and posts were made specifically linking these Jewish center threats to Trump in some indirect manner.

Yet we now have an actual suspect in custody that happens to be aligned with the other democrat party.
    Where is the fair and honest scrutiny now of the democrat party? There's no excuse here.

Regrettably standards are not being applied fairly.
    edited March 2017
    Are we seriously just going to keep ignoring the fact that Sessions was under oath when he lied and that, even in the WORST CASE scenario of Pelosi and McCaskill, they weren't??

You are talking directly to me here about the Jewish community center thing, so let me say this AGAIN. I did not call Trump Anti-Semitic. I said Trump's bigotry and hatred of "the other" fosters a culture that allows such views and actions to rise to the surface. Authorities have said this particular case was likely a copy-cat and that he was attempting to frame his ex-GF in a revenge plot. I was also the first person to post about it and say I was glad he was in custody.

And, I am now going to continue to correct this. It's the DEMOCRATIC Party. Democratic. "Democrat Party" is not a thing that exists in our current political situation. The use of the term is a direct tip-off that whoever is saying it is spending ALOT of time listening and reading right-wing media.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    If you want to defend the senator, you don't need to twist the meaning of those tweets or figure what she really means. Look at what it says, in strictly literal terms.

The second one is saying she's planning to harangue the Russian ambassador for doing something the U.S. doesn't like. The third one is about working on the Iran deal, of which Russia was a part. That's not sinister planning behind the scenes; that's publicly announcing you're working on American foreign policy.

Ultimately it depends on what the meetings are about. Saying a police officer was found alone in the same room as a drug dealer isn't that damning if the meeting was an arrest.
    On a more important note, if somebody's logic is flawed, make sure you're targeting the logic and not the other person.
    vanatos said:

Ahh so when it comes to Democrats we should try and interpret their written and oral statements in such a way as to be extremely lenient and give benefit of the doubt, perhaps they didn't recall, perhaps it was official Government business, perhaps technology affected their written statement to be misleading, perhaps their statements refer to another context they unfortunately didn't elaborate on.

This standard just happens to be not applied to the political party one does not favor.

This amuses me greatly.

No it is taking the written or oral statement in context and derive an appropriate meaning of the statement within the context it is given. aka proper communication/comprehension skills.

And if you would like to point out a statement that was clearly misinterpreted by a republican rep, i'd be willing to evaluate it.
    edited March 2017
    So what are the two meetings that Sessions had? The first came at a conference on “Global Partners in Diplomacy,” where Sessions was the keynote speaker. Sponsored by the U.S. State Department, The Heritage Foundation, and several other organizations, it was held in Cleveland during the Republican National Convention.

“The conference was an educational program for ambassadors invited by the Obama State Department to observe the convention. The Obama State Department handled all of the coordination with ambassadors and their staff, of which there were about 100 at the conference.”

http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/obama-administration-arranged-sessions-first-meeting-russian-ambassador-fmr-doj

Strange that there is so much 'interest' in this issue, but seemingly less interest in finding out the actual details, perhaps because it turns out to be completely innocent?

I don't personally believe the Russian Conspiracy is so vast that it includes Obama in some convoluted scheme that Obama and Trump and Russia have been planning some vast inter-connected and long-laid plan across decades.

I'll wait for more actual evidence of anything.
    vanatos said:

So what are the two meetings that Sessions had? The first came at a conference on “Global Partners in Diplomacy,” where Sessions was the keynote speaker. Sponsored by the U.S. State Department, The Heritage Foundation, and several other organizations, it was held in Cleveland during the Republican National Convention.

“The conference was an educational program for ambassadors invited by the Obama State Department to observe the convention. The Obama State Department handled all of the coordination with ambassadors and their staff, of which there were about 100 at the conference.”

http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/obama-administration-arranged-sessions-first-meeting-russian-ambassador-fmr-doj

Strange that there is so much 'interest' in this issue, but seemingly less interest in finding out the actual details, perhaps because it turns out to be completely innocent?

I don't personally believe the Russian Conspiracy is so vast that it includes Obama in some convoluted scheme that Obama and Trump and Russia have been planning some vast inter-connected and long-laid plan across decades.

I'll wait for more actual evidence of anything.

And the second meeting was...
    edited March 2017
    deltago said:

Perhaps you can do some investigation.

It shouldn't be hard, I found that out in 5 seconds despite this nothingburger being sensationalized in this thread for days on end.

I'm modding atm.
    edited March 2017
    vanatos said:

deltago said:

Perhaps you can do some investigation.

It shouldn't be hard, I found that out in 5 seconds despite this nothingburger being sensationalized in this thread for days on end.

I'm modding atm.
    Again, why lie under oath?? "Nothingburger" is also the exact phrase that is being repeated in every right-wing media outlet about this issue. Seems to be working as intended.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    The European Parliament has voted to end visa-free travel for Americans within the EU.

That's going to suck for Americans. Turnabout is fair play to Trump's rhetoric.
    edited March 2017

Again, why lie under oath??

According to your logic and deltago, he didn't.

The conversation was a long question about the allegation of repeated and continuous involvement of Trump campaign people over any Russian meddling in the U.S. Election.

Session's maintains that his answer was specifically to that question in the context of the question, that he didn't have continual communication with Russia as a surrogate of Trump's campaign about the election.

I'll go with the standard of scrutiny applied to Democrats in this thread, and I find that it is a perfectly reasonable explanation.

One of the 'meetings' was a large conference arranged by the Obama State Department as i referenced earlier.

The conference was an educational program for ambassadors invited by the Obama State Department to observe the convention. The Obama State Department handled all of the coordination with ambassadors and their staff, of which there were about 100 at the conference.

So he has offered an explanation that under the standards i see here, is perfectly acceptable, and we have here that one of the meetings was arranged by the Obama State Department as a large conference of many ambassadors.

I'll wait till there is more concrete evidence of anything.
    edited March 2017

Investigation! Trump meeting with the person he calls "Crooked" Hillary
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

The European Parliament has voted to end visa-free travel for Americans within the EU.

That's going to suck for Americans. Turnabout is fair play to Trump's rhetoric.

You can't pin this one on the Trump. This current dispute dates back to 2014, and the underlying cause is even earlier. The EU insists that all outside nations must treat all EU members as one in their diplomacy. The US, Japan, Australia and a few others insist on treating each country individually. All the EU nations have visa waiver privileges except a few like Romania and Poland.
    edited March 2017
    You can pin this on Trump, while the current issue does go back to 2014, Trump's toxic immigration policies and asinine comments on ending nato, praising brexit, calls to defund the UN, accusing the EU of currency manipulation, and other isolationist comments has allowed the issue to a head and the EU has taken action.

Not to mention the gutting of the state department. He's not interested in american diplomacy, only a big military. He's called for massive cuts in his budget to the State department. He forced or let all it's senior leadership quit and Trump has not replaced them - either because of the hiring freeze or his intentional failure to recognize the importance of the department.
    edited March 2017
    I highly doubt the European Commission is going to look on any damage to the European tourism industry Across Europe favourably, on top of the ever-growing disaster of handling the migrant crisis economically, or Brexit and the increase of Nationalism.

America demands Visa from only 5 EU countries, i seriously don't think every other EU country that has no problems with travel to America is going to like Brussels damaging their economy.

If Brussel's goes ahead with this they will hasten the destruction of the European Union.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited March 2017
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3285791/great-lakes-epa-funding-trump/

Really hope this is not true. Call me selfish, but I like my drinking water (Lake Ontario in this case) to be at least potable. Can't say I have a lot of confidence in that remaining to be the case if the US isn't at least doing its part.
    edited March 2017
    elminster said:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3285791/great-lakes-epa-funding-trump/

Really hope this is not true. Call me selfish, but I like my drinking water (Lake Ontario in this case) to be at least potable. Can't say I have a lot of confidence in that remaining to be the case if the US isn't at least doing its part.

Of course it's true, and of course, the irony is, it was the Rust Belt states bordering the Great Lakes that ushered him into office. I don't know how to tell people this, but Republicans have literally no use for the EPA, and they don't give a rat's ass if the water you drink is poisoned or not.
    Trump's interior secretary guy's first order of business was allowing lead bullets on national parks overturning an obama-era prohibition. Lead poisoning from these type of bullets kills 20 million animals a year. Trump's guys are like well we can make another buck if we just get rid of all protections on everything and make it the wild west again - the environment, safety and decency be damned. Who cares if people die or animals, right?
    edited March 2017
    The Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies expresses utter dismay with the release of Director’s Order 219, Use of Non-Toxic Ammo and Fishing Tackle, by the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) on January 19, 2017. Association President Nick Wiley states that "this action flies squarely in the face of a long and constructive tradition of states working in partnership with the Service to effectively manage fish and wildlife resources." He adds, "the Association views this Order as a breach of trust and deeply disappointing given that it was a complete surprise and there was no current dialogue or input from state fish and wildlife agencies prior to issuance. It does a disservice to hunters and anglers, the firearms and angling industries, and the many professionals on staff with the USFWS who desire a trusting and transparent relationship with their state partners." This is unacceptable federal overreach into the states’ authority to regulate the methods of take for sport fish as well as complete disregard for the states’ concurrent jurisdiction with the Service for the management of migratory birds. Further, the economic impacts of this action, which likely will be felt most by rural Americans, is likely to be hundreds of millions of dollars." The Association looks forward to working with a new Administration in the redress of this poorly timed and executed decision.
    -http://www.fishwildlife.org/index.php?section=afwa_press_releases&prrid=332

It seems that Obama's order was done hastily and with not much consultation with state agencies overseeing Fish and Wildlife.

Surprising that they complained about it themselves.

It would seem that many of these executive orders are more complicated then initially it seems, if even wildlife preservation agencies disagreed with this one.
    edited March 2017
    Apparently order 219 forbade the use of lead in fishing lures.

Lead is poisonous. Seems like keeping lead out of a fish's water supply would be good for the fish and therefore good for the fishermen.

It's not in the president's powers, but this seems like the sort of measure that states should have already taken.

It's not like lead is the only substance that will sink in water. A fisherman might know better, but I don't see how using iron or aluminum in lures instead of lead could possibly cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

Particularly considering lead is 20 times as expensive as iron.
    More lead in the water. What a slogan. They should run on that. Actually, I'm 100% certain Republican voters would be perfectly OK with it as long as THEIR town's water supply wasn't affected. This is a political movement that's fundamental problem is that it is completely devoid of empathy.
    edited March 2017
    vanatos said:

The Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies expresses utter dismay with the release of Director’s Order 219, Use of Non-Toxic Ammo and Fishing Tackle, by the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) on January 19, 2017. Association President Nick Wiley states that "this action flies squarely in the face of a long and constructive tradition of states working in partnership with the Service to effectively manage fish and wildlife resources." He adds, "the Association views this Order as a breach of trust and deeply disappointing given that it was a complete surprise and there was no current dialogue or input from state fish and wildlife agencies prior to issuance. It does a disservice to hunters and anglers, the firearms and angling industries, and the many professionals on staff with the USFWS who desire a trusting and transparent relationship with their state partners." This is unacceptable federal overreach into the states’ authority to regulate the methods of take for sport fish as well as complete disregard for the states’ concurrent jurisdiction with the Service for the management of migratory birds. Further, the economic impacts of this action, which likely will be felt most by rural Americans, is likely to be hundreds of millions of dollars." The Association looks forward to working with a new Administration in the redress of this poorly timed and executed decision.
    -http://www.fishwildlife.org/index.php?section=afwa_press_releases&prrid=332

It seems that Obama's order was done hastily and with not much consultation with state agencies overseeing Fish and Wildlife.

Surprising that they complained about it themselves.

It would seem that many of these executive orders are more complicated then initially it seems, if even wildlife preservation agencies disagreed with this one.

Look at the date of that post, it was written on inauguration day so that's trump's writing - Trump's direction. It's revisionist history.

So sorry it might cost a little bit more to buy non-lead bullets the trade off is well worth it - hey no lead poisoned water and animals. That's good right? So sorry it might cost 2 more cents per bullets or something. It's not like just one "rural american" would have to pay hundreds of millions of dollars by himself (if he is spending that much, he's a goddamn legendary maniac killer of animals)

The criticism that it allegedly was done without consultation with state agencies doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do. Instead we get lead water and dead animals. woo hoo.
    The order was January 19; that was the day before Trump's inauguration.
This discussion has been closed.