Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• vanatosvanatos Member Posts: 876
    edited March 2017

It was 3 o'clock in the morning. Who would have seen that speech besides political die-hards?? She came out first thing the next morning, just like Kerry in '04.

Everyone who went there to support and cheer her on?

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    vanatos said:

It was 3 o'clock in the morning. Who would have seen that speech besides political die-hards?? She came out first thing the next morning, just like Kerry in '04.

Everyone who went there to support and cheer her on?

it's just common courtesy.
    Let me hear from one of them telling me how upset they were, not concern trolling. It is indisputable that most of her supporters, NATIONALLY, were in bed when that race was called. She spoke at 10 am the next morning, 4-5 hrs later. This is such inane quibbling.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I donno, trump still comes off as an idiot even when he being played by a woman. My opinion anyway.
    IRS has 7,000 unreleased documents related to conservative and Tea Party targeting
    The IRS has told a federal court that they've recently identified almost 7,000 more documents that could contain information on how the agency targeted the tax-exempt applications of Tea Party organizations or other conservative political groups starting back in 2010, according to a court document.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2616837/

Looks like they are starting to comply with investigations.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Washington Examiner publishes information that cannot be validated and that is anti scientific fact. The information provided should be regarded as speculative opinion or propaganda and cannot be substantiated by fact or evidence.

It is among the most untrustworthy sources in the media.

http://www.fakenewschecker.com/fake-news-source/washington-examiner
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I don't know how reliable fakenewschecker.com is, though rationalwiki also criticized the Washington Examiner. Still, I'd prefer to address articles on a case-by-case basis rather than discrediting them on the basis of their source... unless the source is genuinely illegitimate. There are some newspapers that are simply not credible:

1. The People's Daily (the Chinese Communist Party's flagship propaganda newspaper)

2. Russia Today (Russia's government-funded propaganda arm)

3. The Christian Science Monitor (which is infamous for its bias against our beloved Reptoids)
    Samsung's planned major investment in US production reportedly influenced by Trump election
    Samsung is planning to invest around $300 million in expanding U.S. production facilities after President Donald Trump's rhetoric around American jobs, according to the Wall Street Journal Wednesday, citing sources.
    http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/08/samsungs-planned-major-investment-in-us-production-influenced-by-trump-election-dj-citing-sources.html
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    "Confidence is playing a large role," Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody's Analytics, told CNBC. "Businesses are anticipating a lot of good stuff — tax cuts, less regulation. They are hiring more aggressively."

I'm sure the ability to dump waste oil into the storm drains will help everyone's bottom line.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Who's to say this newfound confidence is justified? As an investor I would be a bit afraid, it seems like a hype bubble.
    "In an Oval Office meeting featuring several leaders of conservative groups already lining up against the House Republican plan to repeal and replace Obamacare, President Donald Trump revealed his plan in the event the GOP effort fails: Allow Obamcare to fail and let Democrats take the blame, sources at the gathering told CNN."

what a guy, your president ladies and gentlemen.

edited March 2017
    Sounds like your not American.

Does border drop mean Trump's tough talk is working?
    Illegal Southwest border crossings were down 40% last month, according to just released Customs and Border Protection numbers -- a sign that President Donald Trump's hardline rhetoric and policies on immigration may be having a deterrent effect.

Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly himself announced the month-to-month numbers, statistics that CBP usually quietly posts on its website without fanfare.
    According to CBP data, the 40% drop in illegal Southwest border crossings from January to February is far outside normal seasonal trends. Typically, the January to February change is actually an increase of 10% to 20%.
    The drop breaks a nearly 20-year trend, as CBP data going back to 2000 shows an uptick in apprehensions every February.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/08/politics/border-crossings-huge-drop-trump-tough-talk/index.html
    This documentary details things that Donald Trump did while only a problem for New York. It's like an Origin Story for President Evil.

His earliest alternative facts such as saying his hotel has more floors than it actually does (much to the consternation of the fire department) and shows that can do spirit by swindling little old ladies that had the misfortune of living in his apartments.

Donald Trump - Full Documentary of a Narcissistic Sociopath
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTzBZuPx1lQ
    When Cultural Enrichment Goes Wrong
    In an episode of Believer, a six-part CNN series on spirituality, US religious scholar Reza Aslan meets with the Aghori, a nomadic Hindu sect in India.

The group believes that nothing can taint the human body and rejects the Hindu caste system, which deems certain groups of people untouchable.

After Aslan has bathed in the sacred Ganges river, an Aghori scholar smears the ashes of a cremated body on his face and he is given alcohol served in a human skull.

Then he is given a piece of burned human brain and eats it, reports the Washington Post.
    He said: “Want to know what a dead guy’s brain tastes like? Charcoal.”

Soon after the interview turns nasty and one of the cannibals tells the presenter: "I will cut your head off if you keep talking so much."

Then the guru begins eating his own poo - and then flings it at Aslan and his camera crew.
    Aslan told his director: "I feel like this may have been a mistake."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3042323/tv-presenter-eats-human-brain-during-filming-of-documentary-before-angry-cannibal-throws-own-poo-at-him
    Paul Ryan today said insurance won't work if the healthy have to subsidize the sick. That is literally the only way it CAN work, and how every insurance plan works in one way or another. This is the brains of the Republican Party. No wonder they haven't come up with a plan for 8 years. They don't even have a fundamental grasp of the issue. Also, they despise poor people in a way that is nearly unfathomable.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    vanatos said:

Sounds like your not American.

Does border drop mean Trump's tough talk is working?
    Illegal Southwest border crossings were down 40% last month, according to just released Customs and Border Protection numbers -- a sign that President Donald Trump's hardline rhetoric and policies on immigration may be having a deterrent effect.

Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly himself announced the month-to-month numbers, statistics that CBP usually quietly posts on its website without fanfare.
    According to CBP data, the 40% drop in illegal Southwest border crossings from January to February is far outside normal seasonal trends. Typically, the January to February change is actually an increase of 10% to 20%.
    The drop breaks a nearly 20-year trend, as CBP data going back to 2000 shows an uptick in apprehensions every February.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/08/politics/border-crossings-huge-drop-trump-tough-talk/index.html

Maybe Mexico doesn't see America as a land of opportunity anymore?

Perhaps, for a better glimpse of American policy and how about looking at your northern border where Muslims families are crossing into Canada illegally on foot, like a second underground railroad seeking asylum from not only their home country but the U.S. as well. (Not a fair assessment I know, but spin is spin).
    edited March 2017
    Illegal immigration to the US has been at a net negative for years. It not only isn't a pressing issue, it's been fixing itself even if you DO think it's a pressing issue. There effectively hasn't been any illegal immigration to the US recently. More are leaving than staying.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Normally I wouldn't ascribe any changes to Trump until his policies had time to take effect, but in this case, I think it's perfectly plausible that his mere presence would decrease immigration from Mexico, if nowhere else. Many Mexicans probably would not consider the U.S. to be quite as friendly a place with Trump in charge, even if they intended to immigrate legally.
    edited March 2017

Normally I wouldn't ascribe any changes to Trump until his policies had time to take effect, but in this case, I think it's perfectly plausible that his mere presence would decrease immigration from Mexico, if nowhere else. Many Mexicans probably would not consider the U.S. to be quite as friendly a place with Trump in charge, even if they intended to immigrate legally.

Hard to argue with this. Also hard to argue with the reports that tourism is already suffering mightily because of Trump. Between his rhetoric and the travel ban chaos, what person from outisde the country would decide to spend their money where they clearly aren't welcome??

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/trump-s-travel-ban-deters-tourists-their-dollars-all-over-n730556
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    edited March 2017
    Suspects 'on the run' after five injured in axe attack at Dusseldorf train station
    Several people have been injured in an axe attack at Dusseldorf train station.
    There were reports of a "crazed man" at the scene and two people were arrested.
    Police spokesman Rainer Kerstiens told The Associated Press that more suspected attackers were believed to be on the run.

Pictures from inside the German city's Central Station showed people lying on the floor receiving treatment, surrounded by blood.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/09/several-injured-axe-attack-dusseldorf-train-station/

Getting lots of attacks in train stations in Germany nowadays.

edit: Getting picked up by more news outlets now.

Germany axe attack: Duesseldorf train station sealed off
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39225847?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,652
    Germany, France, Sweden, whole thing is a mess and so many countless people have been hurt in the process. You can pull stories like that out of those countries every week it seems.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,177
    Unpleasant to be sure... but please explain its relation to politics...

On the topic of Wikileaks... a few years ago when Snowden fled to Russia I did hear from some commentators (who were well informed concerning the history of spycraft) that the probability that he was being run by Russian handler was "a decent side bet". At this point the tendency of Wikileaks to release information which is detrimental to the US, as opposed to the Russians, certainly makes Assange's role rather problematic as well. How do people feel about this selectivity?
    So that sucks that a few people got injured.

But it's better than if that crazed guy had a gun right? Then it would have been a mass shooting like we get in the US of A. The Murican response would be: the only solution for a bad guy with an axe is a good guy with an axe.
    Representative Eric Swalwell (D-CA) announced an addition to his official government website Wednesday night. The site — titled Protect Our Democracy — tracks the numerous (and growing) ties between the Trump Administration and the Russian government.

link:
    https://swalwell.house.gov/issues/russia-trump-his-administration-s-ties

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

But it's better than if that crazed guy had a gun right? Then it would have been a mass shooting like we get in the US of A. The Murican response would be: the only solution for a bad guy with an axe is a good guy with an axe.

Is that bad? Personally I would like to be able to defend myself with something roughly equivalent to what my attacker can get their hands on. I'd rather have an axe to protect myself than no axe.
    edited March 2017
    Study: Hillary Clinton’s TV ads were almost entirely policy-free

In total, over 60 percent of ads supporting Clinton were solely about candidate characteristics, while only about 25 percent were focused on policy. This is a huge difference from Trump’s advertising, over 70 percent of which was focused on policy, and it is a huge difference from every other presidential campaign for which we have comparable data (Figure 9). In a typical campaign, ads that focus on candidate character have comprised less than 20 percent of total ad airings, and in some years like 2000, there were hardly any ads that focused on the candidates’ character.

In stark contrast to any prior presidential cycle for which we have Kantar Media/CMAG data, the Clinton campaign overwhelmingly chose to focus on Trump’s personality and fitness for office (in a sense, doubling down on the news media’s focus), leaving very little room for discussion in advertising of the reasons why Clinton herself was the better choice. Trump, on the other hand, provided explicit policy-based contrasts, highlighting his strengths and Clinton’s weaknesses, a strategy that research suggests voters find helpful in decision-making (Mattes and Redlawsk 2014). These strategic differences may have meant that Clinton was more prone to voter backlash and did nothing to overcome the media’s lack of focus on Clinton’s policy knowledge, especially for residents of Michigan and Wisconsin, in particular, who were receiving policy-based (and specifically economically-focused) messaging from Trump.

https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/for.2016.14.issue-4/for-2016-0040/for-2016-0040.xml?format=INT
    ThacoBell said:

Is that bad? Personally I would like to be able to defend myself with something roughly equivalent to what my attacker can get their hands on. I'd rather have an axe to protect myself than no axe.
    Well you get into the whole cold war of arms escalation. If guy A has a knife, then guy B wants an axe. If guy B has an axe, guy C wants a gun. If your floor is automatic weapons, then everyone wants one. if your floor is an axe, then things are better - relatively speaking.

You might suffer a mass injury attack instead of mass fatality situation.
    Asking people to be less able to defend themselves from attackers so they don't trigger a (lol) Cold War scenario isn't a realistic proposition.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,177
    ThacoBell said:

It may be better for you as an individual to have a gun to defend your interests, but if those rules apply to everyone then the likelihood of you encountering another actor with a gun also increases, which is worse for society as a whole. In my opinion the philosophy of gun ownership makes more sense in relation to a society with weak enforcement of laws and an underclass / pariah groups- just as weapon ownership made more sense in the Sengoku Jidai than the Tokugawa Era in Japan. Of course if you do not trust law enforcement to protect you then you end up in a race to the bottom... though even in this case I've heard that statistically guns are often more dangerous to their owners & their families than intruders.

On a tangential note do advocates for gun ownership also support nuclear proliferation? There are some analogies- the virtues & moral dilemma of the quick draw vs. first strike capability for example.
    edited March 2017
    Mantis37 said:

ThacoBell said:

It may be better for you as an individual to have a gun to defend your interests, but if those rules apply to everyone then the likelihood of you encountering another actor with a gun also increases, which is worse for society as a whole. In my opinion the philosophy of gun ownership makes more sense in relation to a society with weak enforcement of laws and an underclass / pariah groups- just as weapon ownership made more sense in the Sengoku Jidai than the Tokugawa Era in Japan. Of course if you do not trust law enforcement to protect you then you end up in a race to the bottom... though even in this case I've heard that statistically guns are often more dangerous to their owners & their families than intruders.

On a tangential note do advocates for gun ownership also support nuclear proliferation? There are some analogies- the virtues & moral dilemma of the quick draw vs. first strike capability for example.
    Switzerland requires all adult's to have a gun, and they have almost no gun crime, furthermore it is common to see Gun's carried if you walk around in Switzerland.

They are extremely pro-gun.

So it is possible, and proven, to have a civilian populace that is armed and to live in an incredibly safe society largely free of Gun Crime.

Furthermore anyone versed in history of totalitarian regimes would know the first thing they do is disarm the civilian populace as much as possible, This is well established in history multiple times.
This discussion has been closed.