Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Most air traffic control personnel are overworked and overstressed. I think the CBO is overstating the margin by which air fares would rise as a result of this change but I can definitely see the following scenario taking place. Suppose you and I own airlines but I have twice as much money as you do--I could probably pay a premium to have my planes routed in for landing before yours.

The recent leak of documents relating to Russian cyberattacks on voting systems (no proof of actual changes to vote counts, just that ancillary systems were targeted) now has a name and a face: Reality Leigh Winner, whose social media profile shows that she is definitely no fan of Trump. The documents she printed on a color printer were given to The Intercept, who published the information. Investigators were able to use those documents to identify Ms. Winner because, apparently unbeknownst to her, color printers put tracking dots on printouts which identify the printer used by serial number as well as a time stamp--for someone working in "intelligence" she wasn't terribly crafty, not like Snowden was. Here is a clue--if you are going to print classified documents you shouldn't be printing, then you really shouldn't print them on printers at your government subcontractor's secure location.

I suspect she thought her actions would hurt the Trump Administration but, truthfully, her actions are going to inhibit her side's argument in the entire Russian hacking probe specifically because a) she illegally revealed classified intel and b) her blatant partisanship showing via her social media.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,655
    I just read something that completely shocked me. One of the London terrorists was featured in a documentary about Terrorism in Europe and wasn't....I dunno.... JAILED OR TAKEN OUT OF THE COUNTRY. Or, how about virtually anything. Far too often we hear about these killers being on radars, being known, and yet still they go about these things succesfully. They need to go, not be made into t.v stars before their murderous rampage.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/05/london-terrorist-appeared-channel-4-jihadi-documentary-tried/
    edited June 2017
    Trying to blame ISIS on Bush...lol you seem to be forgetting who was in control for 8 years during their rise but ok
    Regarding "scapegoating" accusations, I reject them. Previously, I provided evidence from Europol proving quite handily that Jihadi terrorism is the majority in Europe, by quite an enormous margin given their minority status in the region.

Yet the left is sure to cover it when the exception proves the rule. With far less defense and pandering, mysteriously.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Personally, I blame ISIS members for the rise of ISIS.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Trying to blame ISIS on Bush...lol you seem to be forgetting who was in control for 8 years during their rise but ok

Yes. Because the Iraq war created a power vacuum in the region, with the Western World coming out looking like tyrants.

The second Iraq war was a mistake and its consequences are being felt now.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    The leaked NSA Russia election info may not show actual vote changes (and no one claimed it did). But it does show they gained access to voter rolls. And purging people from the voter rolls is a tried and true Republican tactic. You show up the day of the election and are told you aren't on the rolls. It's exactly what Jeb did for his brother in 2000 in Florida. And it's the exact sort of tactic a Republican operative communicating with the Russians would tell them to focus on. Even if they didn't purge any Democratic voters, they were certainly ATTEMPTING to do so.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,440
    edited June 2017

Regarding "scapegoating" accusations, I reject them. Previously, I provided evidence from Europol proving quite handily that Jihadi terrorism is the majority in Europe, by quite an enormous margin given their minority status in the region.

@WarChiefZeke I don't think I saw that post, but here's a summary table from the most recent report by Europol - covering terrorist incidents in 2015 (full report at https://www.europol.europa.eu/activities-services/main-reports/european-union-terrorism-situation-and-trend-report-te-sat-2016).

As you can see 17 incidents out of 211 were classed as jihadist (and nearly all of those were 2 connected groups of attacks in France). I think that falls some way short of your description of those as being a majority.

Edit: the 2014 figures were 2 out of 199 'religiously inspired' and the 2013 figures 0 out of 152. Even allowing for the fact that the UK does not provide the classifications used by Europol I think the evidence is actually quite clear that Jihadi terrorism is not the majority in Europe.

Your earlier post noted that one of the recent London attackers was previously known to the authorities. Given that there are around 3,000 'people of interest' at any one time in the UK I don't think a reasonable approach by a democracy is simply to throw them out of the country (or into jail) just in case they might turn out to be terrorists.
    Post edited by Grond0 on
    edited June 2017

Even if they didn't purge any Democratic voters, they were certainly ATTEMPTING to do so.

That assertion will be exceedingly difficult to prove. "Purging rolls" is the Republican answer to Democrat tactics of "vote early, vote often" and "dead people get to vote, too".

It appears that Trump is thinking of live-tweeting responses to Comey's testimony on Thursday. There is no way that situation doesn't end badly since Trump has no filter.

Why are all the UK incidents in the "not specified" category? Surely they cannot be claiming that they can't figure out the motive in all 103 cases, can they?
    edited June 2017

Why are all the UK incidents in the "not specified" category? Surely they cannot be claiming that they can't figure out the motive in all 103 cases, can they?

I think it reflects the different judicial system in the UK compared to continental Europe. Figures on incidents include foiled attacks as well as actual ones and in the UK those can't be given a classification as they've not been subject to a court process. However, the vast majority of the incidents logged in the UK are linked to Northern Ireland.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2017
    Trump's supposedly pissed he couldn't invoke executive privilege to shut down Comey. He assumes he's above the law since he's a) rich and b) President.

He had Little Marco Rubio and Tom Cotton to dinner at the White House in order to try and coach them on what to ask Comey at the hearing. So presumably at least those two guys will attack Comey and steer the questions towards leaks instead of Trump's obstruction of justice or Russian interference.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-dining-with-several-republicans-on-senate-intelligence-committee-ahead-of-james-comey-hearing/article/2625068

This story makes me absolutely livid. I give money to St. Jude every month. They provide free cancer treatment to children. No bills. They also cover living expenses for the family. To do so, they have to raise over two million dollars a day. And this scumbag is using it to line his own pockets. My contribution means little, it probably amounts to the cost of one test for one child. But at least my contribution is honest and I'm not using it as a scheme to siphon millions on the back end. Donald Trump and his son can rot in hell.
    That is really brazen. It appears that Trump does not know how to avoid even the *appearance* of impropriety or conflict of interest. The other people invited to dinner were only thrown onto the list to make it look as if a group of people were invited.
    edited June 2017

That is really brazen. It appears that Trump does not know how to avoid even the *appearance* of impropriety or conflict of interest. The other people invited to dinner were only thrown onto the list to make it look as if a group of people were invited.

The sad thing is, Eric was initially in it for the right reasons, Donald got wind of it, and immediately demanded they make money off it. That 1.2 million could have saved the life of another child. It means NOTHING to Trump other than padding his wealth, it means everything to that kid.

At the end of "Schindler's List", when Schindler is face to face with all the Jews he helped save, he breaks down crying. He looks at his ring, his clothes, everything he spent money on that was useless and could have paid another worker in his factory, and sobs as he says "I could have done more". Donald Trump will never have that moment, because Donald Trump is, above all else, a horrible human being. Reading the full story is actually far worse than what you see in the headline. It details the thought process of a truly sick mind.
    We cross-posted--I was responding to Trump's dinner with Republicans on the Senate Committee who will be hearing Comey's testimony, not the story about moving the money.

What more can anyone say? Most charities which are fronted by celebrities or the ultra-wealthy are really just vehicles for stroking their ego and are rife with nepotism and/or conflict of interest. If you want to donate money and have it impact the people it is meant to impact then seek out local charities which are actual non-profits because they are more likely to get the money into the hands of the people who need it.

Yep. And of course this is the same hypocrite guy that screamed bloody murder when Lynch met Clinton on an airplane for a few minutes.

Yep. And of course this is the same hypocrite guy that screamed bloody murder when Lynch met Clinton on an airplane for a few minutes.
    That WAS stupid, but if my memory serves me correctly Loretta Lynch recused herself within 48 hours, and stayed recused, unlike Sessions and Devin Nunes, who think people just won't notice if they wait a month.

Crazy, right?

It's simply ridiculous on its face, in my view, to ignore 8 years of policy that were occuring at the direct moment of the events in question unless one is only choosing to see what they want to see.

With respect, Grond, isn't it kind of cherry picking to use the graph of 6 countries, with a 50% unspecified rate, rather than the one directly under it, which outlines all of the countries and thus gives the more complete information?

edited June 2017
    I should add that the report also claims that a large part of sepratist terrorism is from the Kurdish seperatists, which again comes with a simple remedy...leave the mid east alone, don't import nor bomb the place and certainly don't regime change.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It wouldn't surprise me if most terrorist attacks in Europe were jidahist. Unlike the U.S., Europe is much closer to the Middle East. It's much easier for jihadis to reach.

I just saw a commercial on CNN talking about Trump's foreign visits, saying that he was restoring American leadership and fighting terrorism and whatnot. It's very unusual.

Normally, you only see political ads during election years. I don't see the point of spending money on an advertisement 3 years before you're up for re-election.
    edited June 2017
    Trump was watching fox and friends again and tweeted out

So he's saying he wants approval of nominees — but he hasn't nominated anyone for 79% of key positions. It's his own fault.

This guy is delusional like a fox because presumably many of his gullible supporters are buying this. He's literally pushing fake news himself here.

ref:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-democrats-obstructionists-nominees-2017-6

This lists all the appointments he has made. A ton of 'no appointments'
    http://www.afsa.org/appointments-donald-j-trump
    edited June 2017
    It's far worse than anyone is even really mentioning in regards to unfilled positions. He has filled 5 of 53 jobs at the Pentagon. 2 out of 16 at the Department of Homeland Security. There is no FBI Director. There is no Administrator of FEMA. If there is a terrorist attack in this country, it can be laid RIGHT AT the feet of Donald Trump, who has not filled SCORES of important National Security positions. All in all, 500 important government positions need filling, and despite the lies that Donald Trump is telling you about Democrats holding them up (and here is a tip if you believe that, Democrats control NOTHING in Washington DC right now) roughly 400 of them don't require Senate confirmation at all. Donald Trump and his Administration are either too lazy or too incompetent to fill the positions, but there is also another grim reality in all this: they can't fill the positions because most career professionals in these jobs simply refuse to be associated with this man. They don't want their name dragged through the mud. They don't want Trump Administration on their resume.

Now, some are going to say "good, I don't want those bureaucratic eggheads with their fancy degrees and knowledge in their field in charge anyway". Fine. I'm sure you'll apply the same logic the next time you need surgery and you hire Fred the Mechanic from down the street because he's "down to earth and has got alot of common sense".

They don't want their name dragged through the mud. They don't want Trump Administration on their resume.

Either that or he can't find enough crazy people like the people he has nominated.
    On a note from earlier, if Trump tweets during the Comey testimony, every Democratic Senator on the committee is going to have aides sitting behind them monitoring Twitter. If Trump attempts to slander or lies about something that took place between the two of them, those Senators can then ask Comey, who will be UNDER OATH, about the accusations Trump is making in real-time.

With respect, Grond, isn't it kind of cherry picking to use the graph of 6 countries, with a 50% unspecified rate, rather than the one directly under it, which outlines all of the countries and thus gives the more complete information?
    @WarChiefZeke the graph of arrests does not provide the same information. Only a small proportion of arrests relate to actual or potential attacks. Arrests include for instance people breaking travel restrictions to conflict zones.

In relation to the UK failure to specify the nature of attacks I already posted that the vast majority of incidents were linked to Northern Ireland. The 2015 report for instance includes the following statement: "The UK reported an increase in terrorist attacks, from 35 in 2013 to 109 (73 shooting incidents and 36 bombing incidents) in 2014. Although none of these attacks were classified in a specific terrorist affiliation, they all took place in Northern Ireland".
    @BelleSorciere I was being facetious. My apologies for not denoting the tongue-in-cheek nature of my earlier post.
    edited June 2017
    So last night Eric Trump went on TV and said some Democrats are "not even people". Know who I don't think are people ?? Those who let their sociopathic father turn children's cancer charity events into a slush fund for the family business.
    Puerto Rico has another referendum this coming Sunday and I suspect this time the citizens there will vote for Statehood with a clear majority--becoming a State would give them better options and more protections than the bad deals they have received thus far over their financial problems. If that happens then Rossello would have to appoint a group who would approach Congress to petition for Statehood.

Puerto Rico has another referendum this coming Sunday and I suspect this time the citizens there will vote for Statehood with a clear majority--becoming a State would give them better options and more protections than the bad deals they have received thus far over their financial problems. If that happens then Rossello would have to appoint a group who would approach Congress to petition for Statehood.

A new state with mostly brown people that might not vote Republican? Why stop at voter suppression when you can suppress a whole island full of people.

For some reason, I think our current government will not go for it.
This discussion has been closed.