Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

I completely agree with the Raise Act proposed by Trump. Skills based immigration is something that should have been common sense from the very start.

They need to do away with the citizenship by birth thing that most countries don't do. They may not because a lot of wealthy Chinese people pay a lot of money to have their kids in America. I don't know about this new act but am suspicious given it's from Trump. We need to increase the skills and education level of our citizens so we don't need to look abroad instead of attacking education. Trump said something about cutting immigration to benefit American workers, bull, since he's against education to make them competitive he's just spinning racism.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited August 2017

I completely agree with the Raise Act proposed by Trump. Skills based immigration is something that should have been common sense from the very start.

They need to do away with the citizenship by birth thing that most countries don't do. They may not because a lot of wealthy Chinese people pay a lot of money to have their kids in America. I don't know about this new act but am suspicious given it's from Trump. We need to increase the skills and education level of our citizens so we don't need to look abroad instead of attacking education. Trump said something about cutting immigration to benefit American workers, bull, since he's against education to make them competitive he's just spinning racism.
    There is no doing away with or getting around the 4th Amendment, which is about 10,000 times clearer than the 2nd Amendment. If you are born in the United States, you are a citizen. Doesn't get any more clear cut. So unless people want to change the Bill of Rights, or entirely ignore the meaning of every word in the Amendment, I'm afraid everyone against birthright citizenship is out of luck.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

There is no doing away with or getting around the 4th Amendment, which is about 10,000 times clearer than the 2nd Amendment. If you are born in the United States, you are a citizen. Doesn't get any more clear cut. So unless people want to change the Bill of Rights, or entirely ignore the meaning of every word in the Amendment, I'm afraid everyone against birthright citizenship is out of luck.
    It's the 14th Amendment. It was put in because:
    1. The Civil War had killed off a significant portion of our labor force.
    2. Without it, southerners would have tried to keep former slaves and their children from gaining citizenship.
    3. The Industrial Revolution and Manifest Destiny required a large influx of manpower.

None of those apply anymore. Jus soli citizenship isn't some kind of sacred cow. We really don't need it anymore. I would like to see it replaced by a modified Jus sanguinis where any child of a citizen or permanent resident would be a citizen.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    So something to keep your eye on:
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/2/16082750/trump-daughter-in-law-lara-facebook-program-real-news

The grey area here, even though it is just fluff propaganda atm, is Trump creating a State News Network so to speak, that undermines other news sources as fake. He completely controls the message that is being said here and might divert admin interviews exclusively to it.

Not only does this make the administration less transparent in its dealing it would also be highly unethical since it is creating revenue for himself and his businesses which he said he'd stay away from.

It's nothing now, but it can turn into a scary situation.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited August 2017

As I mentioned months ago, there is ALREADY a law that prevents immigrants from receiving welfare for the first 5 years they are in the country. How long has it been on the books?? Only 2 entire decades, but I suppose that won't stop most Trump supporters from thinking it's something new.

After the wages of the so-called white-working class continue to not go up, it'll be interesting to see who they blame next, though I'm 100% sure it won't involve what is most needed, which is a mirror.

It's not controversial to say that our current system and levels of immigration benefit the rich and hurt the poor. It's one based in economics and common sense. Figures from the left, like Sanders, and the right, like Trump, agree. One of the few things they do agree on. I'd be interested to know how you think it does the opposite.

Some food for thought, by an author who would know.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/trump-clinton-immigration-economy-unemployment-jobs-214216

As an aside, while it is very popular among the left to more or less spit on the white working class as uneducated backwords trump supporting white priveleged hicks not smart enough to vote in their own interest, I have a lot of sympathy for them. Their life expectancy is declining while others rise. The majority of U.S suicides come from their background. Nobody cares though because on the social justice ladder they are nearly dead last.
    edited August 2017

As I mentioned months ago, there is ALREADY a law that prevents immigrants from receiving welfare for the first 5 years they are in the country. How long has it been on the books?? Only 2 entire decades, but I suppose that won't stop most Trump supporters from thinking it's something new.

After the wages of the so-called white-working class continue to not go up, it'll be interesting to see who they blame next, though I'm 100% sure it won't involve what is most needed, which is a mirror.

It's not controversial to say that our current system and levels of immigration benefit the rich and hurt the poor. It's one based in economics and common sense. Figures from the left, like Sanders, and the right, like Trump, agree. One of the few things they do agree on. I'd be interested to know how you think it does the opposite.

Some food for thought, by an author who would know.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/trump-clinton-immigration-economy-unemployment-jobs-214216

As an aside, while it is very popular among the left to more or less spit on the white working class as uneducated backwords trump supporting white priveleged hicks not smart enough to vote in their own interest, I have a lot of sympathy for them. Their life expectancy is declining while others rise. The majority of U.S suicides come from their background. Nobody cares though because on the social justice ladder they are nearly dead last.
    Yes, I suppose they are last on the mythical "social justice ladder", yet near the top of all ladders that actually exist. The same argument has been used against immigrants to this country since it began. Irish, Italian, Polish, etc etc etc etc. Or are we going to argue that most Irish immigrants to New York in the 1800s were what the current Administration would deem "skilled"?? Exactly what the hell is "skilled" anyway?? And if what you say is true, that immigrants are taking jobs and wages away from hard-working Americans who are just dying to take these jobs, maybe you can explain why the Trump Administration is bringing in 15,000 of them on seasonal visas to work in "unskilled" jobs:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/17/trump-officials-order-15000-new-visas-for-low-wage-workers/?utm_term=.893a18470f7f

Frankly, this entire idea that there is "no job Americans won't do" is a crock of bullshit. There are plenty of them, and the Trump Administration, despite their rhetoric about an immigration policy that has NO shot of passing Congress (or even making it to the calendar) seems to know it as well. Which makes their announcement nothing more than xenophobic grandstanding. By the way, almost half the immigrants who are here illegally are ones who come here LEGALLY on the very same visas the Trump Administration just handed out, and overstay them. So Trump, for all the people screaming to the high heavens about illegal immigration, just guaranteed multiple thousands will be created.

Furthermore, I know plenty of avid Trump supporters from the rural community in which I grew up (the holy white-working class, literally farmers) who, with a straight face, will bitch about illegal immigrants on one hand, when I have PERSONALLY seen them hire illegal immigrants to work in their fields picking up rocks during the summer, and even go so far as to house them in a trailer on their property. I have watched the exchange of cash take place with my own eyes.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I think there is a huge perception problem that besets those lower to middle income whites, stemming from ignorance of what other's experiences are like: white people in some demographics are doing much worse than they were 50 years ago, so they're not really wrong to bemoan their losses. Its their ignorance though of how surprisingly shitty things actually are for some groups that creates disdain better informed SJW types have.

Yes, working class whites have solidly lost ground vs the elite, but minorities by and large are still a few steps further back. I think thats why Bernie had some serious appeal, with his distaste for his heavily privileged peers, he wants to drag the elites down a few pegs at least, and use some of their lost wealth/power to empower the poorer.

Imho, corporations on the whole should be pro-civilian taxation and wealth redistribution, since any money put in the hands of the poor is money that businesses can exploit. They also would benefit massively from a healthier and more skilled (but not necessarily more educated!) workforce, they would reap dividends from improved infrastructure, even those not building it. I don't know why corporations aren't heavily behind this stuff, other than many are run by the folks that would technically lose out. ;)

That in a nutshell is the issue; this isn't a zero sum game, and for the lot of the poor to improve, generally someone else's life will relatively get worse, if not literally. White working class feel shat on because they are much less the centre of the world, and its kinda shitty to experience it. Perceptions of reality are our actual reality, even if its not strictly real, and Trump is very good at exploiting this, but it seems to be punishing him a bit too, with his poor personal approval rating. He's almost radioactive, long term exposure seems to destroy everyone he works with, business or government, and even his senate majority failed to pass key marquee legislation, very unpleasant to one used to control.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    It never made me feel any better when told 'other people are worse off than you'.
    If people are hurting, for whatever reason,(heath, economic hardship, etc.) they naturally want it better for themselves.
    In that instance, ignorance on the plights of others, whether it be of someone younger, older, a different race, or nationality, is not the problem that immediately concerns them. Not a darn thing wrong with wanting to feel better, as many, around the world, often want to be in a better spot.
    To me it's perfectly understandable, if at times maybe not rational, why people, any people, can put hope in someone that brings a different message, and be more apt to ignore the negatives.
    A person can only take so much personal hardship and hurt for themselves and their family.
    I think it's a bit of both - a failure of poor - middle class whites to empathize with other folks who are a step or two behind them even. They think if only we can push back the lower classes then maybe we can move up to be like the richer people! But those richer people are so far ahead it ain't going to happen. If you had a million dollars, you are not rich and most of us don't have a million dollars sitting around.

But hey if only those immigrants and brown people weren't taking our jobs right? A little bit of that "Screw you I only care about me and mine" attitude that is a twisted version of the American dream. The American dream is "get yourself ahead, push everyone else out of the way" to a lot of people. And companies like to exploit that thinking; commercials can be variations on 'you can get yourself ahead of the Jones if only you spend 19.95 on this rotating blender!'

You want to keep up with the Joneses don't you, just buy the blender. Lottery tickets are a poor people tax for people that dream big to get out of the low lives they are stuck in.

Divided we fall. Divided the fat cats keep getting fatter and us folk keep wallowing around in the dirt outside the gates of their palaces.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Yeah, it is a bit of a hot mess to put it mildly, so hot it's bout too hard to set the fire extinguisher to it. Agreed on big companies and marketing propaganda.

I think it's often hard for people with different backgrounds, in a variety of differing aspects, to really relate to one another. Stressful conditions just seem to cause a greater divides and misconceptions unfortunately.

Shoot. I forget to get my lotto ticket today. I'll keep payin that tax, I reckon. ;)
    Wallerin', not a bad analogy though. B)
    edited August 2017
    In the wake of Donald Trump encouraging police to be rougher with suspects and saying that, under his Presidency, they will be treated well and respected again, Baltimore police have been caught, on camera, for the second time, planting drugs on suspects, which is going to cause over a hundred cases they were involved in to be thrown out. Which begs the question, if they are being caught on camera doing it a couple of times, how often is this happening off camera, not just in Baltimore, but around the country?? My guess is constantly, and a on a regular basis. The only reason these two are coming to light is because the cops in question didn't know the body cameras still recorded for a small amount of time after they were turned off.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/us/baltimore-drugs-police-dismissed.html
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Things are going pretty bad if you have to actually fear the police.

The most useful societal benefit of cell phone cameras is that they have offered iron-clad proof to those not blind to the reality that *shock* the entire African-American community hasn't actually been lying about how they are treated by police for the past 100+ years.

Between the rampant police misconduct, and the practice of civil asset forfeiture, which allows law enforcement to confiscate your property if you are simply SUSPECTED of a crime (a practice Jeff Sessions wants to expand), we are indeed living in a real-life police state.

In the wake of Donald Trump encouraging police to be rougher with suspects and saying that, under his Presidency, they will be treated well and respected again, Baltimore police have been caught, on camera, for the second time, plating drugs on suspects, which is going to cause over a hundred cases they were involved in to be thrown out. Which begs the question, if they are being caught on camera doing it a couple of times, how often is this happening off camera, not just in Baltimore, but around the country?? My guess is constantly, and a on a regular basis. The only reason these two are coming to light is because the cops in question didn't know the body cameras still recorded for a small amount of time after they were turned off.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/us/baltimore-drugs-police-dismissed.html

It defeats the purpose if police can turn their body cams off at a whim.

Any police officer turning it off during an arrest or a response like this should raise red flags to any overseeing group.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    This pattern of outright disdain for the white working class from the left certainly isn't new. We see it daily by their activists on college campuses who demand no white days and who hire professors who tweet things out like "All I want for Christmas is white genocide". We see it daily in their media, that publish things like "white people must be stopped for the good of the planet", "what is wrong with white people", "why i'm no longer talking to white people about race", "10 ways white people are more racist than they realize". The irony.

I think there is indeed a failure of empathy and of understanding another person's situation, and it's not a failure of the white working class who are scolded daily for their supposed issues. It's a failure of the left to confront their own rank prejudice. That any issue concerning white working class people is met with answers about how minorities have it worse shows how intersectional social justice, and all it's race war incitement, is alive and well. I think they are quite correct in percieving that these sort don't have their interests in heart or mind at all, and if anything are actively opposed to them.

The most useful societal benefit of cell phone cameras is that they have offered iron-clad proof to those not blind to the reality that *shock* the entire African-American community hasn't actually been lying about how they are treated by police for the past 100+ years.

Between the rampant police misconduct, and the practice of civil asset forfeiture, which allows law enforcement to confiscate your property if you are simply SUSPECTED of a crime (a practice Jeff Sessions wants to expand), we are indeed living in a real-life police state.
    And of course, cops really don't like it if you film them with your cell phone. Often they confiscate it or otherwise break it or force you to erase the video etc.

So Trump's going to be taking a 17 day vacation at tax payer expense at his NJ club where he will profit from his vacation. In the relatively short time he's been in office, though it seems forever right, he's gone to his own golf clubs and resorts at least 40 times spending an estimated 55 million dollars in taxpayer money to enrich himself. He's made a big show of giving away his quarterly ~$100k salary to a department he wants to kneecap by billions of dollars (parks and education).

Those are drops in the bucket to the corruption he's engaging in almost weekly. He goes to his clubs, he charges the government, he profits. The secret service has to rent rooms. He advertises that oh there's white house stuff, come to my clubs! Just a slimy dude, but you already knew that. But anyway, I'm pretty sure 55 million dollars would cover everyone transgender or not lol in the military. The scale of this dude's corruption is just off the charts, but Republicans seem to be fine with a guy profiteering off the American people as long as he's a Republican.

This pattern of outright disdain for the white working class from the left certainly isn't new. We see it daily by their activists on college campuses who demand no white days and who hire professors who tweet things out like "All I want for Christmas is white genocide". We see it daily in their media, that publish things like "white people must be stopped for the good of the planet", "what is wrong with white people", "why i'm no longer talking to white people about race", "10 ways white people are more racist than they realize". The irony.

I think there is indeed a failure of empathy and of understanding another person's situation, and it's not a failure of the white working class who are scolded daily for their supposed issues. It's a failure of the left to confront their own rank prejudice. That any issue concerning white working class people is met with answers about how minorities have it worse shows how intersectional social justice, and all it's race war incitement, is alive and well. I think they are quite correct in percieving that these sort don't have their interests in heart or mind at all, and if anything are actively opposed to them.

I AM the white-working class. I'm not a food critic, or college professor. And I don't need to look down on them, I looked them straight in the face for the first 20 years of my life. I guarantee I come from a smaller, more rural community than anyone posting here. Never been held back by a minority or immigrant in my life, nor has anyone I grew up with.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

I AM the white-working class. I'm not a food critic, or college professor. And I don't need to look down on them, I looked them straight in the face for the first 20 years of my life. I guarantee I come from a smaller, more rural community than anyone posting here. Never been held back by a minority or immigrant in my life, nor has anyone I grew up with.
    Look up New Lothrop, Michigan. That's where I spent my Elementary years. When I was 10 we moved to Chesaning, MI but that wasn't rural enough so we ended up in Brant, MI. I don't even think Brant warranted a dot on the map. We didn't even live in Brant though, we were sandwiched in between two farms 3 miles away.

Still think you're more 'rural' than everyone else on this forum? I guess if you grew up in a cornfield (or Wyoming) maybe...
    edited August 2017
    Balrog99 said:

Look up New Lothrop, Michigan. That's where I spent my Elementary years. When I was 10 we moved to Chesaning, MI but that wasn't rural enough so we ended up in Brant, MI. I don't even think Brant warranted a dot on the map. We didn't even live in Brant though, we were sandwiched in between two farms 3 miles away.

Still think you're more 'rural' than everyone else on this forum? I guess if you grew up in a cornfield (or Wyoming) maybe...
    Let me put it this way, my town had 500 people. There was a town 5 miles away that had THREE people and a grain elevator. There was a town 20 miles away that had more churches than houses (3 to 2). The town itself only functioned as a hub to get gas, eat at the cafe, drink at the bar, and having the bank and school. So yes, I do, generally speaking. I did in fact look up your towns, and can safely concur we are about tied on the rural scale. I'm somewhat frightened to even look at the pictures of New Lothrop because I suspect they will be way too eerily similar to my own hometown.

But the main point is this: where I grew up, the stereotypes about white conservatives, were, generally, accurate. And the stereotypes they perpetuated throughout my entire youth about African-Americans and other minorities, when I moved away and actually met them, were 100% inaccurate. So my view of things is based on witnessing ignorance first hand, always being skeptical of it, then going out into the wider-world and having it proved to me. And I looked up how my hometown voted in 2016. 70% for Trump. It's not a wonder I think the way I do, I'm well aware of why. It's because of where I grew up.

Fun fact: in 1992 we had a mock Presidential Election in class (must have been 5th grade). Out of the 20 of us (whole class), I was the only one who voted for Clinton. Every other kid choose Bush the Elder. Now anyone with sense will say "you were all voting how your parents were voting". Exactly. It's entirely likely my parents were the only ones out of that bunch voting Democratic.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    The US healthcare system explained:

https://youtu.be/CeDOQpfaUc8
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

Let me put it this way, my town had 500 people.

You got to live in a town when you were a kid? I wonder what that would have been like. According to the map, where I grew up is actually inside the confines of a wildlife management area.

You got to live in a town when you were a kid? I wonder what that would have been like. According to the map, where I grew up is actually inside the confines of a wildlife management area.

Incidentally, there was a wildlife refuge less than a mile outside of town, but I digress....

Back to the main show....Robert Mueller has impaneled a grand jury in the Russia probe. Shit (as they say) is about to get real. Remember, Trump will throw anyone overboard to save himself. Don Jr., Jared, even Ivanka if it came to that. Fireworks are starting very soon.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Incidentally, there was a wildlife refuge less than a mile outside of town, but I digress....

Back to the main show....Robert Mueller has impaneled a grand jury in the Russia probe. Shit (as they say) is about to get real. Remember, Trump will throw anyone overboard to save himself. Don Jr., Jared, even Ivanka if it came to that. Fireworks are starting very soon.
    I'm ready for this to be over whatever the outcome. I have a feeling I don't have enough popcorn, though...
    It also seems the Senate is pre-emptive striking a Mueller firing with new legislation.

The bi-partisan bill allows a special investigator to go to the courts in front of a 3 judge panel, up to 14 days after being removed to challenge the removal, taking the power away from a president (current or future) from just firing people heading investigations on a whim.

"The Tillis and Coons bill would allow review after the special counsel had been dismissed. If the panel found there was no good cause for the counsel's removal, the person would be immediately reinstated. The legislation would also codify existing Justice Department regulations that a special counsel can only be removed for misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest or other good cause, such as a violation of departmental policies."
    Balrog99 said:

I'm ready for this to be over whatever the outcome. I have a feeling I don't have enough popcorn, though...
    This remains a marathon, not a sprint. And as one person on Twitter put it earlier "we are about to find out what happens when a group of people who have made lying their modus operandi meet a situation where lying means jail time".
    edited August 2017

Balrog99 said:

This remains a marathon, not a sprint. And as one person on Twitter put it earlier "we are about to find out what happens when a group of people who have made lying their modus operandi meet a situation where lying means jail time".
    I was just thinking about how "master deal maker" Donald Trump has been doing so bigly terrible making deals as President. His recently released phone calls with Mexico's and Australia's leaders indicate he's more concerned with the perception of winning (or not losing) than actually doing the right thing. I think it's fair to say he's never been wrong or lost or anything if you go by what Donald Trump says even his bankruptcies - winning. totally. But anyway, why is the "master deal maker" doing so poorly? I guess he showed he could make deals or ignore regulations or whatever as a business person but that doesn't really work as President. As President, you can't just go outside the law and do whatever like he could do as a private citizen.

That's how he was such a "great dealmaker". He cheated. When you're a rich businessman and you cheat and lie and exaggerate, they let you do it. You can't do that as President. He's trying by manipulating the truth. But that isn't working so far.

edited August 2017

Balrog99 said:

I was just thinking about how "master deal maker" Donald Trump has been doing so bigly terrible making deals as President. His recently released phone calls with Mexico's and Australia's leaders indicate he's more concerned with the perception of winning (or not losing) than actually doing the right thing. I think it's fair to say he's never been wrong or lost or anything if you go by what Donald Trump says even his bankruptcies - winning. totally. But anyway, why is the "master deal maker" doing so poorly? I guess he showed he could make deals or ignore regulations or whatever as a business person but that doesn't really work as President. As President, you can't just go outside the law and do whatever like he could do as a private citizen.

That's how he was such a "great dealmaker". He cheated. When you're a rich businessman and you cheat and lie and exaggerate, they let you do it. You can't do that as President. He's trying by manipulating the truth. But that isn't working so far.

That's the main myth though. He wasn't a great businessman. He went bankrupt in the casino business in Atlantic City, one of the main capitals of vice in America. Has anyone been to a casino lately?? They are licenses to print your own money. Nevermind the advantages of having one in the East Coast version of Vegas, with the name recognition he had coming off the 80s where he was a poster child for the Greed is Good/Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous ethos of the decade. The colossal failure you have to be to mess up such a venture is mind-blowing.

And here is the rub: his utter failure in Atlantic City is the reason he is in the mess he is in right now, because it's when he capital dried up, American banks wouldn't lend to him anymore, and he had to turn to foreign sources for investment. And as I've said numerous times, the Russian collusion leads to the fact that Donald Trump has been the head of a criminal money laundering operation involving Russian billionaires and mobsters since those casinos went under.

Right now Trump is in West Virginia having one of his "burn the witch" rallies. But guess what?? Saying Hillary's name 3 times into a mirror doesn't make Bloody Mary appear and magically eliminate a grand jury.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Now that I think about it, it's probably better for Trump's casinos to have failed. Gambling is a parasitic industry; it's better if they are not profitable.
This discussion has been closed.