Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    joluv said:

Balrog99 said:

The funny thing is my parents think I'm a liberal. I doubt any of you that pay attention to my postings here would agree with them. Probably going to be lots of crickets chirping this Christmas at my folks' house...

Speaking of which, what do y'all suppose our chances are in the War On Christmas this year? Maybe we can use this momentum. I already bought an artificial tree, which is a start.
    An artificial tree? You're not even worth calling a heathen!

You need to buy yourself a huge rainbow flag and decorate your yard with lights of every color to completely advertise your hedonism. A big statue of Hillary Clinton would be the icing on the cake!
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited December 2017
    Moore just lost a seat that Jeff Sessions once won with 97% of the vote. That's not an error.

For all the trash talking of the people of AL they put politics aside in a way almost unprecedented.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Wow... kudos to Trump here:

Congratulations to Doug Jones on a hard fought victory. The write-in votes played a very big factor, but a win is a win. The people of Alabama are great, and the Republicans will have another shot at this seat in a very short period of time. It never ends!

Very unlike him.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    deltago said:

Congratulations to Doug Jones on a hard fought victory. The write-in votes played a very big factor, but a win is a win. The people of Alabama are great, and the Republicans will have another shot at this seat in a very short period of time. It never ends!

Very unlike him.
    Even Trump didn't like the dick apparently...
    Well, Trump didn't even endorse him at first. He endorsed his Republican opponent Luther Strange and only went to Moore after he had won.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited December 2017
    It's understandable that Trump wouldn't put much stock in "allegations" after the spectacle of libel the democrats tried to conjure up out of nothing during his presidential race. But can I say for sure that Trump would not have endorsed even if the allegations against Moore were true and he knew it? HAHA Nope! Because politicians, at the end of the day, do what is politically expedient. Morality is illusory in their minds; the end justifies the means. Always. This is doubly true with Trump, and the Republicans have no choice but to sit back and take it, lest he command his hive mind army to vote for another stooge! And it is so hilarious to watch.

With that said, the Republicans should've learned a lesson from the democrats last year of what happens when you run a candidate embroiled in a scandal.

Personally, I think both Moore and Jones are degenerate liars. I had no preference - though it would've been nice to watch all the smug liberal outsiders who pooled resources into the State would've gone down in flames. When it comes to self-righteous, virtue signalling "intellectuals" who so dearly love the sickly sweet aroma of their own flatulence, there is hardly anything I despise more...except, well, Moore. I shed no tears.

On a more somber note, the GOP did warn that gay marriage would lead to acceptance of pedophilia...ah, snap!
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited December 2017
    My god. I've screwed around offline the last 6 hours (well, plus an hour of catching up since I started this post) and finally thought about looking up the senate results.

I'm in a state of shock. I didn't ACTUALLY EXPECT Jones to win.

Now, Republicans are going to DIG IN SO HARD. They're on a timetable now, and it's not good.

They're going to contest the election results as much as they can. I just watched a live stream of some Moore spokescritter talking about how they have to wait for the results to get certified, and if within half a percent, they can, I cut it off there, but I assume a recount. Doesn't look like that's a possibility, looks like Jones won by 1.5% with 100% of everything counted.

And they're going to make it take as long as possible to seat Jones.

And during that time, they're going to RAM AS MUCH AS THEY CAN through the Senate before they lose the 2 seat advantage. They NEED the tax bill to come out of conference committeee ASAP, especially since Collins has expressed displeased second thoughts about voting for it.

If that thing doesn't come out before Jones is seated, Corker votes no again (because it's not like anything could be ADDED to make it more budget friendly for him), and Collins pulls back, it's dead on arrival at 49 votes aye in the senate. Bills out of conference committee can't be amended, they live or die.

Now the GOP has gone all in on backing Moore. They can't take that back, even though it availed them nothing, since he lost. They are now, and forever, branded as supporting a pedophile.

They have no fiscal morality, that has become clear. They have no MORAL morality. That is now BLINDINGLY clear.

I only pray that the American public comes for their political heads in 11 months.

They're going to contest the election results as much as they can.
    Maybe they'll even invent a story out of thin air about how a foreign power colluded with Jones to influence the election.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

They're going to contest the election results as much as they can.
    Maybe they'll even invent a story out of thin air about how a foreign power colluded with Jones to influence the election.

Yeah, and then maybe that made-up story will result in federal indictments for 4 people in the inner-circle of the campaign.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

Personally, I think both Moore and Jones are degenerate liars.

I know almost nothing about Jones. What makes you say he's a degenerate liar?
    edited December 2017

It's understandable that Trump wouldn't put much stock in "allegations" after the spectacle of libel the democrats tried to conjure up out of nothing during his presidential race. But can I say for sure that Trump would not have endorsed even if the allegations against Moore were true and he knew it? HAHA Nope! Because politicians, at the end of the day, do what is politically expedient. Morality is illusory in their minds; the end justifies the means. Always. This is doubly true with Trump, and the Republicans have no choice but to sit back and take it, lest he command his hive mind army to vote for another stooge! And it is so hilarious to watch.

With that said, the Republicans should've learned a lesson from the democrats last year of what happens when you run a candidate embroiled in a scandal.

Personally, I think both Moore and Jones are degenerate liars. I had no preference - though it would've been nice to watch all the smug liberal outsiders who pooled resources into the State would've gone down in flames. When it comes to self-righteous, virtue signalling "intellectuals" who so dearly love the sickly sweet aroma of their own flatulence, there is hardly anything I despise more...except, well, Moore. I shed no tears.

On a more somber note, the GOP did warn that gay marriage would lead to acceptance of pedophilia...ah, snap!

Smug liberal outsiders. Been hearing that one coming out of the South for over a century. The smug liberal outsiders said we can't own slaves anymore. Then the smug liberal outsiders came down and told us we can't have segregated schools, restaurants and drinking fountains any more. Even worse, smug liberal outsiders said we have to let them vote and we can't lynch those black folk without repercussion anymore. And now the smug liberal outsiders are saying we shouldn't vote for a guy who thinks being gay should be illegal and who is a serial child predator. Yeah, those damn smug liberal assholes are the REAL problem.

Virtue signaling. Or, what used to known as "common decency", except the alt-right has invented a new (very predictable) language for everything. Doug Jones is a degenerate liar?? No one even knows anything about Doug Jones, since the entire race has been about Moore. I DO know that the first thing Doug Jones did tonight was call on the Senate to quite dragging their ass and re-authorize CHIP (which is the Children's Health Insurance Program, which Republicans have refused to fund and is quickly running out of money, possibly leaving up to 9 million children and their parents in limbo for healthcare). But yeah, such concerns are for the smug, virtue signaling liberals. Well, count this guy among them.
    Needs more Dr. Pepper.
    edited December 2017
    I've looked at the demographic breakdown of this race, and it's pretty striking. Well over 70% of white Alabama voters pulled the lever for Roy Moore. The ONLY thing that prevented him for taking this seat was that African-American turnout was WAY up and they voted for Jones by over 97%. Democrats need to dance with them that brung them. They didn't appeal to anyone new. In many respects, this was a typical Alabama race. It's just that one of the Democrat's main constituencies swamped the polls.

The main convincing that needs to be done at this juncture in history in regards to elections is to convince your own voters to get to the polls. There isn't much undecided ground left. Energy and motivation wins elections. How motivated are Trump's voters going to be next year when they don't see a wall going up??

This is the same thing that happened in Virginia. Ed Gillespie got decent numbers of Republicans to vote for him, but Democrats simply swarmed them. It cannot possibly be overstated how badly over half this country wants to stick it to Donald Trump.

Smug liberal outsiders. Been hearing that one coming out of the South for over a century. The smug liberal outsiders said we can't own slaves anymore.
    You're thinking of the Republicans. They did that. And the Christian Abolitionists especially. People you would think of as Roy Moore supporters actually.

The demographic breakdown of voting explains entirely their immigration policy and the republicans opposition to it. The fact that it destroys working people's lives and creates a permanent underclass, well, that's must more suffering people who need to vote for the state just to survive.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    joluv said:

Needs more Dr. Pepper.

I'm still on my first can. Clearly I'm failing someone. Not sure who, though.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited December 2017
    deltago said:

"Congratulations to Doug Jones on a hard fought victory. The write-in votes played a very big factor, but a win is a win. The people of Alabama are great, and the Republicans will have another shot at this seat in a very short period of time. It never ends!"

Very unlike him.

Yes unlike him.

He probably didn't write it. No kudos. Watch what he says tomorrow and the next day. He'll be back to the Trump we know and loathe.
    edited December 2017

Smug liberal outsiders. Been hearing that one coming out of the South for over a century. The smug liberal outsiders said we can't own slaves anymore.
    You're thinking of the Republicans. They did that. And the Christian Abolitionists especially. People you would think of as Roy Moore supporters actually.

The demographic breakdown of voting explains entirely their immigration policy and the republicans opposition to it. The fact that it destroys working people's lives and creates a permanent underclass, well, that's must more suffering people who need to vote for the state just to survive.

=====

The Republicans who did that are not the Republicans of 1964-now. They may as well be two entirely different parties.

Whatever Republicans are today, the "Party of Lincoln" ain't it.
    Yeah, given that Roy Moore is against the 13th Amendment, I suspect he would not have had strong abolitionist backing.
    I actually can believe Trump wrote that tweet, because he seems to achieve a weird temporary lucidity and humanity when he unambiguously loses something. His concession speech in Iowa, for example, was astoundingly sane and normal. I think that having his deepest fears realized maybe allows him to momentarily relax. If only he would lose every day.
    edited December 2017

This absurd argument continues where people pretend like the Civil Rights Act of 1964 didn't completely alter the entire political landscape of American politics. It is political science 101 that nearly ALL Southern Democrats abandoned the party after Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act, and Nixon swallowed them whole right into the stomach of the Republican Party. It was called the Southern Strategy. Everyone knows about it, it is a historical fact, and it has defined our political divisions ever since. Talking about our current situation and the Democrat/Republican divide without starting at 1964 is pointless. You might as well talk about Whigs and Tories. The modern Republican Party is a straight line from Barry Goldwater to Donald Trump. And the thing is, people who make the argument you are KNOW this. You are well aware the Republican Party took in the Southern, segregationist, racist voting bloc of the Democratic Party. Strom Thurmond was a Democrat before the Civil Rights Act. He was sure as hell a Republican when he died. Nixon and his strategists SPECIFICALLY saw the opening, and it created a complete seismic shift in the political divisions of the country. This isn't even remotely debatable. Johnson himself famously (probably among the most famous quotes in Presidential history) that he was signing away the South for Democrats for a generation by signing the Civil Rights Act. Turned out it was much, much longer than that, but he was 110% correct about what would happen.
    It takes a lot more mental gymnastics than it's worth to separate Republicans from the actions of Republicans especially the most well known ones historically. Better to just give credit where it's due and move on, but hey, we all have our own perspectives. I think it would be hard to argue that the Democrats believe in freedom as a value more than the Republicans do.
    edited December 2017
    It doesn't take any mental gymnastics at all to separate the Republicans pre-1964 from the Republicans post-1964. It just takes an understanding of history.

I would argue that Republicans don't actually believe in freedom. Maybe some of the registered Republican voters believe in freedom, but the elected officials don't. It takes a lot of mental gymnastics to conclude that anything Republicans are doing now resembles a belief in freedom.

Maybe freedom for corporations, or freedom to be Christian and only Christian, but so much of what Republicans do, legislatively, is anti-freedom. At its most basic, the sheer degree of gerrymandering essentially steals votes from Democratic voters, by marginalizing them out of the democratic process. How is this freedom?
    Nothing happened in 1964 that made Republicans pro slavery or not the party that ended it. The parties have changed positions on things as recently as a few years ago. This issue isn't one of them.

The problem is it's not immigrants that are taking their jobs.

Republicans favorite tactic is to point the finger at different groups. Immigrants, transgenders, Muslims or whatever. While they are pointing the finger at these powerless groups, Republicans rob people blind. They give huge tax cuts to the corporations. They let their powerful rich donors rob you blind. They are against personal welfare, they want to pay less or abolish all social safety nets. But they are all for corporate welfare. People are nothing but resources to be used by their rich donors to get a little bit richer. These people might need another mansion and another yacht. And the donors love them because they spend a few million buying politicians to save billions and trillions in taxes. It works for them to buy Republican politicians. People are nothing - we are faceless resources.

Hey but Democrats do this too - well they don't scapegoat people - but they have been pro-corporate too. Sure they are not as brazen as Republicans. They are not as "let's destroy everything! and rob everything!" They think smaller because hey they are willing to at least pretend that they actually somewhat give a crap about the faceless people out there. But hey Democrats did stuff like bail out Wallstreet and not hold anyone accountable for financial crimes.

Things have to change. I believe the Democrats learned their lesson a little bit. At any rate reaching this low point with Republicans ramming through evil stuff, packing the courts, and Trump there's no where to go but up. There are a lot of people, like Bernie supporters, that demand change in the Democratic party. It will happen. Maybe not as much as they want but it will happen. People are too pissed off to let things go back to two parties that are not representing the people.

edited December 2017

Nothing happened in 1964 that made Republicans pro slavery or not the party that ended it. The parties have changed positions on things as recently as a few years ago. This issue isn't one of them.

This is pretty ahistorical. But hey, you do you.

The party of Lincoln is long dead, and past glories don't make up for present day excesses.
    edited December 2017

It doesn't take any mental gymnastics at all to separate the Republicans pre-1964 from the Republicans post-1964. It just takes an understanding of history.

I would argue that Republicans don't actually believe in freedom. Maybe some of the registered Republican voters believe in freedom, but the elected officials don't. It takes a lot of mental gymnastics to conclude that anything Republicans are doing now resembles a belief in freedom.

Maybe freedom for corporations, or freedom to be Christian and only Christian, but so much of what Republicans do, legislatively, is anti-freedom. At its most basic, the sheer degree of gerrymandering essentially steals votes from Democratic voters, by marginalizing them out of the democratic process. How is this freedom?

freedom for corporations.

Freedom to work and the right to work for nothing. Freedom for Christian sharia law. They want to take away freedoms for transgenders in the military. I'm pretty sure they don't like gay marriage and want to take away that freedom - definitely mike pence does. They want to take away freedom of choice. They want to force guns on people that don't want guns as accessible in their concealed carry nationwide bill. They want to take away a free internet by repealing net neutrality.

Their tax bill takes away a lot of freedoms. They want to intermix religion and politics by removing the johnson ammendment that frees us from theocracy.

What freedom are they fighting for for individuals? Um maybe the war on Christmas or something?
    Also, Republicans may not be pro-slavery even now, but they're pro-Jim Crow, pro-voter suppression, and pro-carceral state, all of which are descended from slavery. Many Republicans are also pro-white supremacy, pro-Nazism, pro-White Nationalism, pro-KKK, and all for whitewashing the Confederacy's explicit attempt to keep Black people enslaved as a war over "state's rights." Even though it wasn't.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited December 2017

Or claim that millions of people voted illegally, which actually was made up out of thin air.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Allegedly the Repbulican party isn't going to back Moore with a recount.

They're all breathing a sigh of relief it seems.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Is there any way Mitch McConnel could refuse to seat Jones? I bet he’s thinking about it.
This discussion has been closed.