Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Sorry @ineth, that doesn't prove what you wrote about the Democratic Party position despite your use of the word "force" to lean in.

The fact is that Democratic policies of lifting up women and poor folks have resulted in far fewer abortions being performed than the Republicans philosophy of punishment or shaming women into not having them. Do you want to actually stop abortion as opposed to talking about it or raising tons of money to do it without ever actually planning on stopping it? Like the Republican Party has done for many years now. You know, the Republican Party had complete control of the Presidency, the Congress, and the Supreme Court from 2000-2006. @ineth did they ban abortion then? Did they even so much as submit a single bill to do so? The answer is no, because they have no intention of doing anything about it as long as they know they can whip people into a frenzy over it and get their votes without ever doing what they said they would do.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @Ayiekie
    Two separate things are going on here.
    1. The video talks about the CRISPR technology that could be used to cure genetic defects in people. Good thing, we want this, or most of us would, I believe.
    2. It brings up an old notion of eugenics and defeats one of its main detractions (namely restricting people on whom they can reproduce with). But what about the other downsides of eugenics? Who decides what is "correct" genes or traits? How can people in power abuse something like eugenics (which has already happened with the Nazis) when it is combined with the awesome power of CRISPR? And what do we lose by eliminating diversity in our gene pool?

The fear is that abortion will be combined with eugenic philosophy and CRISPR technology to become an accepted or even desired step in reproducing, sort of like, "Well, I dont really like the way this fetus is turning out, so let's abort and start over." (I've only heard of abortion being enforced as a part of a eugenical government as whispers by media scare tacticians reminiscing of fascist Nazi Germany.)

I do not support eugenic philosophy because I believe it is wrong for someone else to predetermine acceptable traits for someone else to have. It is very reminiscent of racism and sexism, but with a strange, almost disguised twist. They both feel the same to me.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @mashedtaters I feel like you would really enjoy Orphan Black.
    BillyYank said:

In the US, eugenics usually took the form of involuntary sterilization. Sometimes without even informing the person that they'd been sterilized. North Carolina's eugenics program didn't end until 1977.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics_in_the_United_States

Yes, as governmental control. You can perform eugenics, however, without governmental interference.

There is also euthenasia, which is killing people who are somehow physically undesirable. It is argued that we practice a mild form of this in some states within the US by ending the suffering of elderly people who wish to die.

The Nazi's practiced both eugenics and euthanasia in the cruelest, most extreme, and evil forms that our world has seen. Many people associate any form of the two philosophies, no matter how mild their form, with the Nazis.

Our doctor, and I believe many doctors in the world are of this practice, advocated to us a) eugenics by identifying Down Syndrome as an undesirable trait and b) euthanasia by advising us to abort the child should the test prove positive for Down Syndrome.

That is how abortion is linked with both eugenics and euthanasia now; abortion can be used as a mild form of euthanasia to uphold a eugenic philosophy.

@Dee
    I haven't heard of Orphan Black. Is it a movie or tv show or book?
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
  • inethineth Member Posts: 710
    Dee said:

find sources that are reputable, that contain quotes and citations from other reputable sources

The official 2016 Republican Party Platform I linked, is surely an appropriate primary source for the purposes of discussing what the GOP stance on the topic is.

And The Federalist article I linked, is pretty thorough and contains many links to other secondary and primary sources, including government websites listing the full text of the bills and laws discussed.

Are you sure you haven't just taken the easy way out by dismissing it all out of hand?

The IRS has been increasingly understaffed for years now. It's no wonder rich people get away with cheating on their taxes; they've been weakening the only agency that can stop them from doing so.

Well, they somehow still found the manpower to harass Obama's political enemies with needless audits...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @mashedtaters It's a TV show on BBC America. I won't tell you anything more than that, except to say that Tatiana Maslany gives incredible performances throughout. Worth watching.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 710
    edited November 2016

88% of abortions occur in the first trimester. Almost NONE, relatively speaking (1.5%), occur in the third.

This 2012 CDC report says 7.2% "between 14–20 weeks' gestation", and 1.3% "at ≥21 weeks' gestation", which roughly corresponds to your number, yeah.

That's still a four or five-figure number of late-term abortions per year, in absolute terms (see this table in the report).

Furthermore, there are FOUR doctors left in the entire country who even perform this procedure

That seems... unlikely.

According to this Guttmacher Insitute fact-sheet, 34% of all abortion providers offer abortion at 20 weeks, and 16% at 24 weeks. (Primary source is this 2014 study.)

They'll need a bit more than 4 doctors to staff those... :)

Those situations are almost strictly life of the mother, or a grave birth defect that precludes the ability for the child to even have a modicum of a functional life.

That's the line that liberal talkshow hosts like to repeat, but is not so much supported by the evidence.

This whole area is under-studied, but the two scientific studies that do get quoted a lot, are:

Torres/Forrest at Guttmacher Institute (1978): It's an old study, but allegedly still the most thorough one. (The Guttmacher Institute is a pro-choice organization, but seems to be more committed to truth-finding than most). They found the most common reasons for late-term abortions to be:
    71% Woman didn't recognize she was pregnant or misjudged gestation
    48% Woman found it hard to make arrangements for abortion
    33% Woman was afraid to tell her partner or parents
    24% Woman took time to decide to have an abortion
    8% Woman waited for her relationship to change
    8% Someone pressured woman not to have abortion
    6% Something changed after woman became pregnant
    6% Woman didn't know timing is important
    5% Woman didn't know she could get an abortion
    2% A fetal problem was diagnosed late in pregnancy
    11% Other
    Note that "fetal problems" only rank in at 2%, and saving the life of the mother was so rare it fell under "Other". Which I don't find surprising - if the pregnancy is actually life-threatening, then that's likely to be discovered earlier on.

Foster/Kimport (2013): This study apparently excluded abortions that were done to safe the mother's life (without saying how many those were), but looked into why the remaining ones were done. They state the most common reasons as:
    "raising money for the procedure and related costs"
    "difficulty securing insurance coverage"
    "difficulty getting to the abortion facility"
    "not knowing where to go for an abortion".
    They also found that the women who seek early vs late-term abortions are similar according to most statistical measures.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    ineth said:

The IRS has been increasingly understaffed for years now. It's no wonder rich people get away with cheating on their taxes; they've been weakening the only agency that can stop them from doing so.

Well, they somehow still found the manpower to harass Obama's political enemies with needless audits...
    Your own source, Wikipedia, says in the first section that the FBI found no evidence of "enemy hunting."

Political groups are not allowed to enjoy tax-exempt status, and it is the IRS' job to enforce that. They would be lax if they did not try. And that is precisely what they were investigating: allegedly non-political groups that were endorsing and supporting political candidates.

The IRS prevents tax evasion by the wealthy (as I mentioned) and tax evasion by political groups (as you mentioned). But it does not have the power to do these things as successfully as they should be able to.

Your argument doesn't even relate to mine: your source says the IRS is trying to do its job; I say they're not as strong as they should be.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    There is no voter fraud. None, zilch. Not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of 1%. There have been something like 30-some legit cases TOTAL in recent history, among billions of votes cast. 30 votes likely isn't enough to turn most races for County Treasurer, much less any national race, much less blaming ENTIRE cycles on it. It's like blaming roaming packs of polar bears for traffic problems in LA. It's a fantasy.

What IS real is voter suppression. Active efforts by Republican lawmakers in States no longer subject to now defunct Voting Rights Act to make it as hard as possible for people in poor and minority precincts to vote. Ending wknd early voting. Shutting down a large percentage of polling placea in Democratic districts to cause massive lines, not allowing college students to vote with their college ID. We could go on for hours.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Ha voter fraud?

I overheard that a person I know who is a rabid pro-trump person may have committed voter fraud. I overheard that she filled out two voting ballots (both pro-trump of course) and turned them in. One for themself, then another for another relative who otherwise was not going to vote.

Turned in both.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

Now, NO ONE on this site is more anti-Trump than I am.

Yeah no one is more anti-trump than me either.
    edited November 2016
    From Gallup, today:

"Just 16% of Republicans said the economy was getting better in the week before the election, while 81% said it was getting worse. Since the election, 49% say it is getting better and 44% worse."

Trump isn't even in office yet. Barack Obama is still President. I wish I could say I'm surprised about this, but I'm surprised the numbers aren't more lopsided. I would bet every penny in my checking account that 3 out of 4 of these people could not name the 3 branches of government with a gun to their head. Actually, I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to find out that many of them probably think Trump is ALREADY in office.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2016
    Shandyr said:

Think about it, Trump can increase the economy so much by just being president-elect!

The moment he becomes president, the USA will experience an unprecedented economy miracle!

Well, this rather illustrates the point. He campaigned and spoke like a 5th-grader, explicitly catering to people of 5th-grade level intelligence. He simply promised people they were going to "win". There was, and remains no "how", no plan on achieving these so-called victories. Trump's transition team has still not reached out to ANYONE at either the State or Defense Department to begin transition work. Chris Christie (who believe me, I have less than zero respect for) was kicked off from being transition head (which he has been for the last few months) for one simple reason: He put Jared Kushner's (Trump's son-in law) father in jail as a US Attorney. The people who should be staffing the Cabinet and staff positions of the Executive Branch of the United States are using the process to settle personal feuds. You know people like this is your life, you've known people like this at work. Tell me, when has it ever worked out well??
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975

The fear is that abortion will be combined with eugenic philosophy and CRISPR technology to become an accepted or even desired step in reproducing, sort of like, "Well, I dont really like the way this fetus is turning out, so let's abort and start over." (I've only heard of abortion being enforced as a part of a eugenical government as whispers by media scare tacticians reminiscing of fascist Nazi Germany.)

First up, I'll note I was responding to the eugenics debate in general, not you in particular.

Now, why precisely would you think this would happen? Abortion is an unpleasant and often traumatising procedure. People do not do it for fun (well, except in conspiracy theory land). "Oh crap, this baby didn't get both blonde hair genes, DELETE DELETE DELETE" is not going to happen.

In the real world, the only example I am aware of for large-scale "voluntary" abortions is China, where the One Child policy led to a significant amount of "abort until male child is conceived". But even then, with a strong cultural and economic bias towards having a male child, the difference was still relatively small on a percentage basis (about 121 male to 100 female births at its highest point, against the 108/100 ratio it was prior to the policy). That's not nothing, and it has caused problems, but even with such powerful forces pushing it, only a minority of the population were willing to take that step.

And yet you think large quantities of people would willingly abort their own viable fetus for desirable cosmetic features? I can't agree. It's not how real human beings act. Rich people will be willing to pay for cosmetic features if the fetus' DNA can be manipulated, but very few people are ever going to take an "abort until you get it right" option even were it perfectly legal and easy to do.

I do not support eugenic philosophy because I believe it is wrong for someone else to predetermine acceptable traits for someone else to have. It is very reminiscent of racism and sexism, but with a strange, almost disguised twist. They both feel the same to me.

People predetermine "acceptable traits" for their children all the time. What religion you follow, what political party you vote for, your socioeconomic class - all these things are heavily predetermined by parents.

"Blonde hair" isn't more important than any of those things, and in any case, it'll mostly be a toy of rich people. As for the ideal of eugenics, to breed a "better race of human" - it's hopelessly muddled pseudoscience based on a grade-school idea of Darwinian evolution. There's no single gene for "intelligence" you can turn on and guarantee a genius. Same thing for physical fitness, longevity, or any of the other usually desirable traits. Trying to breed humans "for" something would be like breeding horses to be champion racers, or dogs to have faces so squashed they can't breathe right anymore - it would take generations upon generations of inbreeding, and the "successful" outcomes would still be in many ways up to chance and how their lives went (after all, if breeding alone could give you Secretariat, every racing stable would be churning out Secretariats).

But what probably can be done is the elimination of inheritable genetic disease, and that is nothing but for the good. Yeah, it will mean a generation or two of rich people enjoying benefits the rest of us don't get - which is exactly the same as the world right now. Eventually the technology gets cheap enough for everybody, and it'll still be way better to be rich than poor for some other reason. And with any luck, custom gene therapies might find some unexpected things that will benefit us all in the long run. Que sera, sera.
    edited November 2016
    @Ayiekie
    Yeah, I agree with what you're saying. Case in point is that I don't know anyone who has told me they were happy they aborted their Down Syndrome child. It usually seems to be advocated by doctors, and some people as portrayed on the media, but I haven't actually met anyone who feels that way.

Many people, mothers that I know in particular, voice the fear that when they go to the doctors and the doctor advocates to abort their Down Syndrome child, their feelings and thoughts are, essentially, something like, "Where do we draw the line?" And that is the big kicker for a eugenic philosophy, and the biggest reason, imo, that Americans abandoned the philosophy decades ago when it was popular. They saw what Nazi Germany turned the philosophy into and were afraid of becoming that.

Where do we draw the line? What is actually a defect? Is this all actually subjective? Obviously we can say some things are defects, like being born without a limb, yeah, yeah, we agree. But what about Aspergers? Is that even a defect, which many people believe, and which I don't (having family members with Aspergers)? Where is the line?

The fear of eugenics is not that we are going to kill everyone who is not like us, and the link to abortion isn't through that medium. Eugenics and abortion, and thus euthanasia because they are combined, are linked to each other because they are being linked by doctors now.

Here is an article which phrases my thoughts on the issue much more intelligently than I am currently doing.

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/04/opinion/does-down-syndrome-justify-abortion.amp.html?client=safari

Here are some of the tests being performed by doctors to detect Down syndrome.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/down-syndrome/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20020948

This issue is unbelievably controversial. I just wanted to say, that although I disagree with eugenics as a philosophy of life, I understand and do not judge anyone who has sided with one or the other side of the argument. I am trying my best just to present facts and my opinions of the argument as presented.

@Ayiekie
    I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to communicate. I don't believe that large quantities of people would be willing to abort their children, whatever the reason. I was trying to portray the idea that people fear a future like that, and that it is a link between abortion and what was being described as eugenics (which was actually euthanasia), and to clear up a misunderstanding of what eugenics actually is.
    As far as people predetermining traits for their children via attraction to a mate and teaching them certain philosophies and social ideas, that is not eugenics, except at its most basic, watered down, and misunderstood level. Eugenics is the philosphy that we should "improve" the gene pool by either decreasing and/or eliminating "undesirable" genetic traits or by increasing and/or rewarding the amount of "desirable" genetic traits in our society as a whole. However, "improve" is completely subjective to whomever is advocating the philosophy, which is its biggest drawback, and the number 1 reason why I could never support it as a governmentally or socially adopted philosophy.
    It was linked to euthanasia by the Nazis, but euthanasia is not a part of the philosophy.

Source:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

Edit: corrected I thought that @semiticgod wrote what @Ayiekie actually wrote! Sorry! Changed name call outs.
    Post edited by mashedtaters on
    edited November 2016
    @Ayiekie
    Ayiekie said:

"Blonde hair" isn't more important than any of those things, and in any case, it'll mostly be a toy of rich people. As for the ideal of eugenics, to breed a "better race of human" - it's hopelessly muddled pseudoscience based on a grade-school idea of Darwinian evolution. There's no single gene for "intelligence" you can turn on and guarantee a genius. Same thing for physical fitness, longevity, or any of the other usually desirable traits. Trying to breed humans "for" something would be like breeding horses to be champion racers, or dogs to have faces so squashed they can't breathe right anymore - it would take generations upon generations of inbreeding, and the "successful" outcomes would still be in many ways up to chance and how their lives went (after all, if breeding alone could give you Secretariat, every racing stable would be churning out Secretariats).

You are correct, that up until the past few years, it has been only pseudoscience, yes.

BUT:

With the advent of CRISPR technology, this will no longer be pseudoscience, but actual, practical, implementable bio-technology. CRISPR has the potential to change everything about our biological technology and understanding. Most of our genetic identification has happened almost by accident today, and some of it is even being falsified. CRISPR can eliminate the "accident" from genetic manipulative technology cheaply and exactly. It has the potential now to exactly identify the purpose of every gene in our body, which science has tried to do but usually failed for many years.

When CRISPR does come out, then we will all need to be prepared to answer the questions posed by eugenic philosophies, abortion philosophies, and even, dare we consider it, euthanasic philosophies. We are already doing that in a very crude, basic way with Down Syndrome and abortion.

Edit: corrected formatting
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Oh the politics thread! Why don't I post here anymore?

The pro-life position, as I understand it, is that a woman's right to choose, if existent, does not override the child's right to live. The pro-life position does NOT say women deserve to suffer for getting knocked up.

But I'm hearing a different idea from some forumites in this thread: the idea that people should not be given an easy way out of a bad situation, because it conflics with personal responsibility. If you do something wrong, you shouldn't try to reverse it; you should just deal with the consequences.

In this argument... the child doesn't even get mentioned.

Because, as I said earlier today, it isn't about children. The same people who want to force women to have babies are against every single social program that could conceivably help a child or low-income mother. It's about PUNISHING WOMEN.
    Oh yeah, this guy.
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835

Oh the politics thread! Why don't I post here anymore?

The pro-life position, as I understand it, is that a woman's right to choose, if existent, does not override the child's right to live. The pro-life position does NOT say women deserve to suffer for getting knocked up.

But I'm hearing a different idea from some forumites in this thread: the idea that people should not be given an easy way out of a bad situation, because it conflics with personal responsibility. If you do something wrong, you shouldn't try to reverse it; you should just deal with the consequences.

In this argument... the child doesn't even get mentioned.

Because, as I said earlier today, it isn't about children. The same people who want to force women to have babies are against every single social program that could conceivably help a child or low-income mother. It's about PUNISHING WOMEN.
    Oh yeah, this guy.
    I agree. I've pulled out of discussions on this thread for 3-4 days. All I see is forumites that are so pro(insert party here) that they even dismiss facts or reason because of their deep rooted hatred. Kinda like whats going on in the streets of America right now.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Whatever our politics, it is a basic requirement of this thread and the Site Rules that we respect each other, even if we disagree on fundamental issues. Personal attacks are not acceptable.

I have high expectations for this forum and my fellow commenters. We have discussed contentious topics in the past without getting personal, and I expect the same here.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975

@Ayiekie
    Yeah, I agree with what you're saying. Case in point is that I don't know anyone who has told me they were happy they aborted their Down Syndrome child. It usually seems to be advocated by doctors, and some people as portrayed on the media, but I haven't actually met anyone who feels that way.

Many people, mothers that I know in particular, voice the fear that when they go to the doctors and the doctor advocates to abort their Down Syndrome child, their feelings and thoughts are, essentially, something like, "Where do we draw the line?" And that is the big kicker for a eugenic philosophy, and the biggest reason, imo, that Americans abandoned the philosophy decades ago when it was popular. They saw what Nazi Germany turned the philosophy into and were afraid of becoming that.

This'll be shorter, as I said most of what I wanted to say in the other post. That being said, I will again register my disagreement that abortions due to massive defects like Downs Syndrome are related to eugenics. Your own article that you linked to shows how personal a decision it is, how little it conforms to the "expected" beliefs of pro-choice or pro-life parents.

That being said, not to say your anecdotal experiences are false, but I am skeptical of the idea that abortion is widely "advocated" for a fetus with Downs Syndrome, by doctors or the media. It does not square at all with how the topic is treated with any media from the US I've seen.

Where do we draw the line? What is actually a defect? Is this all actually subjective? Obviously we can say some things are defects, like being born without a limb, yeah, yeah, we agree. But what about Aspergers? Is that even a defect, which many people believe, and which I don't (having family members with Aspergers)? Where is the line?

My sister has Aspergers, and probably so do I (there is no co-morbidity allowed between it and ADHD in medical diagnosis, even though there is no reason to believe they can't coexist). It is absolutely and completely a defect. So is ADHD. So is BPD. So are most mental illnesses.

While I can appreciate the unwillingness to define the abnormal state of one's own or a loved one's brain as "defective", they are defective nonetheless. In happiness, ability to have and keep relationships, scholastic achievement, ability to have and hold down a job, and many other categories, everything I mentioned above is a powerful negative indicator. That doesn't mean they can't overcome it and lead a fulfilling life, any more than your own condition does. But it makes it harder. And much harder still if you're not born in the wealthy first world with its safety net, support structures, and readily available advanced medical care.

If gene therapy can eradicate any of the above, then we would be well-served if it could do so.

However, I doubt that people will abort a fetus because it has a higher than normal chance (note that this is all genetics is likely to ever be able to tell us) to have Aspergers, so I don't see how it relates to your argument immediately prior.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Ayiekie You're making too much logical sense. Prepare for emotional argument in 3, 2, 1...
This discussion has been closed.