Skip to content

Best IWD party setup

Comments

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @booinyoureyes‌

Without going into spoilers, I think Waldo is a Fighter/Cleric now ;) Especially since he uses an elegant weapon, from a more civilized age.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

an elegant weapon, from a more civilized age

A cortosis-recovered double-blade Vibroblade? ;) totally my favorite weapon from the Star Wars universe, and the most evil and bloody one, too.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    I thought she might've been a devil, which isn't a demon, since if I'm not mistaken, are the enemies of demons in a Law vs Chaos shtick since her ancient enemy is a demon and all.

Okay, so the Cavalier does indeed have 3 things in the entire game which they get bonuses against.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Dazzu said:

I thought she might've been a devil, which isn't a demon, since if I'm not mistaken, are the enemies of demons in a Law vs Chaos shtick since her ancient enemy is a demon and all.

Okay, so the Cavalier does indeed have 3 things in the entire game which they get bonuses against.

Belhifet is a devil.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Dazzu said:

That's even less than in BG2, lol.
    I see. I always thought he was a demon since that's what I remember him being referred to as in IWD2. In any case, this means that the Cav only has 2 enemies it does +3 dmg/to Hit against... what a shame.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

@booinyoureyes‌

Without going into spoilers, I think Waldo is a Fighter/Cleric now ;) Especially since he uses an elegant weapon, from a more civilized age.

@Dragonspear‌
    No spoilers for me, I read the latest book the weekend after it came out ;D

Can we get a skull familiar?

btw, I would have been certain that Butcher ripped off Morte from Planescape: Torment had Storm Front not come out only a few months later
    CrevsDaak said:

Dazzu said:

That's even less than in BG2, lol.
    Let's count: Firkragg, the 3 demons in the Planar Sphere, the Shadow Dragon, Adalon (though you'll fall hard,) the demon summoned to eat the eggs, the dragon held in Watcher's Keep, Demogorgon, the slayer, one of your Abazigal... and his entire lair and maybe Amellisan's powered form (not sure.) There are also demons summoned by being gated in.... I'm missing a few I'm sure.

That's a fair number of dragons and demons so far compared to all of IWD.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    CrevsDaak said:

an elegant weapon, from a more civilized age

A cortosis-recovered double-blade Vibroblade? ;) totally my favorite weapon from the Star Wars universe, and the most evil and bloody one, too.
    I'm much more partial to vibro-axes and mining power hammers. The latter is tough to find coated in cortosis or made of phrik, but that doesn't stop a Mandalorian antagonist in my Star Wars Saga Edition game from breaking my players' bones with it.

@Dragonspear‌ @booinyoureyes‌
    Waldo's a Paladin now, obviously.
    Dazzu said:

Very few wizards in the game and far more demons/dragon.

Really? I'm gonna try to count the number of casters: there's the orc shamans, the Bone Dancer you can chat with, those robed guys in the temple of the forgotten god, Lizard Shamans, Talonites, Yuan-Ti Priests AND mages, the fake Eldathans, Yuxonomei... we've reached our first demon by the by, and even I'm not sure if she's an actual demon, or just an evil unnatural extraplanar creature.

Personally, I'd stay unkitted in IWD, all things considered, or go UH.
    @Dazzu‌ you are listing a bunch of scrubs you can kill 10 at a time with a single fireball vs the four hardest battles in the entire game, including

BOTH the final bosses, one who has multiple demon henchmen almost as strong as he is
    edited September 2014
    Those henchmen only show up on the harder difficulties... although wait, if Bel is a devil, then he's not summoning demons!

Fair point, but as I said, neither kit really appeals to me at all.
    One things for sure: if you have a wild mage in your party, perhaps it would be a good idea have a cavalier as well :D
    edited September 2014
    elminster said:

Mechanically speaking there aren't any devils in the game. For instance mechanically Bel was considered to be of the "tanari" race in the original game (and tanar'ri are demons).

True, but back then, there was nothing tagged to do better specifically against anything race tagged TANARI... it's still a bit odd if it weren't fixed.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Well I can't say anything about how IWDEE handles it. Just figured I'd give people some info I could provide all the same. :)

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2014
    Dazzu said:

Cavaliers are good for the dragons and demons. If we exclude ToTL for the moment, there's 3 I can think of, though to be fair, they're all powerful bosses.

In addition their remove fear ability is useful if you don't have a vanilla bard in the party, and their other resistances are useful to. Throwing axes make their drawback meaningless.

If I did have a vanilla bard in the party, I would probably favour an Undead Slayer or Blackguard. Definitely not an Inquisitor though. They are rated highly because in BG2 nearly every tough fight is against some kind of high level spellcaster. That's not the case in IWD. There are some spellcasters, but they are pushovers.
    Dazzu said:

elminster said:

Mechanically speaking there aren't any devils in the game. For instance mechanically Bel was considered to be of the "tanari" race in the original game (and tanar'ri are demons).

True, but back then, there was nothing tagged to do better specifically against anything race tagged TANARI... it's still a bit odd if it weren't fixed.
    It's a matter of implementation. It might be easier to use the Tanari flag for Cavaliers than go through and change tags.
    edited September 2014

@Dazzu‌
    Yxunomei's a marilith. She's definitely a demon.

Fardragon said:

In IWD, it's usually more important to be able to damage lots of targets, than to be able to do very high damage to just one (then die). Add to that, IWD is crawling with sneak attack immune undead.

And, again, with the sneak attack option, an Assassin can damage lots of targets. Every enemy can be Sneak Attacked once in a given fight, and it does not require stealth/invisibility to pull off, merely attacking from behind. Therefore, while my Blackguard and Fighter tank foes, the Assassin can maneuver behind the enemy and Sneak Attack each of them in turn, contributing to the party's damage-per-round significantly.
    This isn't a MMO, you can't really on a tank to hold aggro. And by the time you have stabbed everyone in the back a high APR fighter would have killed them anyway. It's not that assassins are completely useless, it's just that a multiclassed fighter/thief will easily outdamage them. And will still be useful against the undead hordes.

It's down to maths. An Assassin will kill a foe with a single attack, at 1 APR, but the Fighter/Thief will ALSO kill each foe with a single attack, and gets, say, 3 APR. A kill rate that is three times higher. The additional damage the Assassin does is wasted overkill.
  • LordLeviathanLordLeviathan Member Posts: 97
    I am working on my party for iwdee and wonder if I need thief.

Can you play the whole thing without a thief at all, either pure or multiclass?

I finish both iwd and iwd2 but I don't remember if I can get away with it.

Thank you in advance.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Question:
    I've heard a lot about how hard iwd is, so can this party survive, do you think?
    Assuming I can even make stats this low.
    Sorcerer
    9str
    14con
    12dex
    17int
    14wis
    15cha

Paladin
    12str
    15con
    10dex
    16int
    13wis
    12cha

Ranger
    15str
    15con
    14dex
    14int
    10wis
    14cha

Fighter/Mage
    14str
    13 dex
    10con
    12int
    10wis
    8cha

Cleric
    10str
    16dex
    8con
    14int
    10wis
    14cha

Bard
    9str
    12dex
    10con
    12int
    8wis
    12cha
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yep
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    edited September 2014
    Here's the party that I'm currently considering for the game.. Though with my chronic restart syndrome, I doubt its final. This party is starting to look interesting enough for me to bring through Baldur's Gate as well. :P

Human Paladin
    Longswords (Dual-wielding)

Dwarven Fighter/Cleric
    Warhammers (Dual-wielding)

Half-Elf Fighter/Druid
    Staves/Spears/Clubs(if any good ones are added with EE)

Elven Mage/Thief
    Short Bows

Gnome Illusionist
    Slings

Half-Elf Bard (Vanilla)
    Crossbows

edit: Made the generalist mage a Gnome Illusionist instead, and changed the Gnome Illusionist/Thief to an Elf Mage/Thief instead, so that my main spell caster (the single class mage) gets an extra spell slot per level.

edit 2: Added weapon profs
    Post edited by Elendar on
    meagloth said:

Question:
    I've heard a lot about how hard iwd is, so can this party survive, do you think?

You need some thief mixed in there somewhere.
    Elendar said:

meagloth said:

Question:

I'm not sure that going thiefless would do any worse than cause you to miss out on a few chests of loot.
    Fardragon said:

Elendar said:

meagloth said:

Question:

I'm not sure that going thiefless would do any worse than cause you to miss out on a few chests of loot.
    Traps?
    Elendar said:

Fardragon said:

Elendar said:

meagloth said:

Question:

Traps?
    There is nothing as lethal as Durlag's Tower. Other classes can detect traps, and you can "remove" most of them with summons, or a stunty with good saves and lots of hp.
  • TheRaven476TheRaven476 Member Posts: 44
    Vitor said:

Well, reading this topic it seems Druids and Bards are a must in Icewind Dale. So I figure this party for my playthrough. What do you guys think of it?

Those are sweet portraits. Where did you find them?