Skip to content

Best IWD party setup

Comments

• kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    @Elrandir you can always replay the game and have all the parties that you want ;)
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    I've finished IWD in HoF and had a lot of fun with this party :

Pante - Fighter/Human?
    Vitor - Fighter/Half-Elf? ( Red cloaked portrait )
    Witan Fighter/Elf? ( African girl portrait )
    Minnadu Druid/? ( Girl with a shield portrait , not mace )
    Sinit Enchanter/Human ( dualled to Cleric in Level 12 )
    Shiqqat Illusionist

This game is heavy fighter based. Though goblins will butcher you like sausages in the starting of the game , with the Righteous Wrath of the Faithful and 3 fighters , you can carve your way easily. That is why dualling to Cleric. I did handle without it until Level 12 , but that is only why I'm playing in HoF difficulty. Experience flows like waterfall. I dualled druid to fighter but with no avail , the game already ended.

I have a last save , but I used shield appearance mod with IWD , because the original just stinks me in the heart. I give it anyways , here :

---

IMPORTANT NOTE : This is all why you have asked. I would not recommend in any way to look at that save , and any suggestions/walkthroughs/hints etc. from around , just dive in the fricking game on your own. It's much more fun that way , imho.
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    @CrevsDaak‌
    Have a strong front line, with the amount of enemys in this game without proper tanks and healers your squishy mages are gonna get railed before they can even cast anything. Also if your gonna have a backline thief you might as well make it something like a mage/thief. you get to a high enough level that even with the split exp you will have more than enough points by the time it even matters. Finally, Bow users are godlike in this game.

*My idea of an ideal party*
    Paladin
    Cleric
    Mage
    Mage/Thief
    Ranger OR Fighter (bow wielder)
    Druid for more support OR Barbarian for straight tank. Do as ye like. Im not saying that this is the absolute best thing you can do but its what has worked for me in the past.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    My party? i don't know yet, but I know that my party will be built for surviving HoF.
    In HoF enemies hit hard and have loads of hp, but IIRC they don't have better saving throws.
    My mages wil be focused in buff, debuff and chaos-like spells.
    I'll need a cleric for turn undead.
    And finally I want to use properly the weird level cap of IWD.
    I'll have many multi or dusl clasd. I dream a fighter 29 dualled to mage :D
    I won't have a Paladin, instead I'll have a multi fighter-thief (or a berserker dualled to thief) eith UAI wielding the pale justice.
    I'll definitely have a sorcerer to bypass the lack of wizard scrolls.
    So basically my first party will look like:

Fighter-mage (multi or dual?)
    Fighter-thief (multi or dual?)
    Fighter-druid (dual maybe)
    Cleric
    Sorcerer
    Bard
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Any team without a small helmet user, and a shield user with elf blood is denying themselves 2 good items.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @Dazzu‌, does that elf shield user need any sort of specific class? Or rather, would it be good or bad on my half-elf fighter/druid? Regardless of your answer, my party won't change, but I am curious to know.
    @Elrandir‌ I'm pretty sure the shield he's talking about is called "the argent protector." It's a large shield so make sure you have and elf with a class that can wield it and 15 strength.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    25 Magic Resistance is nothing to sneeze at. Anyone who can use medium shields can wield it... which I'm guessing will mean 12 strength rather than 15. There are some decent shields, few that compare to 25 MR which you can slap on anyone you need to fight a mage.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    My party will probably be:

Paladin: Likely Cavalier or Undead Hunter
    Ranger: Archer
    Bard: True, Skald or Blade
    Druid: Avenger or Totemic

Last two will either be Invoker and Cleric/Thief or Mage/Thief (Illusionist) and Fighter/Cleric
    @Dazzu‌ Yeah that was my mistake all i saw was the picture and the stats and in my opinion in the picture it looks like a large shield.
    Is it better to go with one handed axes or two handed? (since those exist in IWD) I assume they'll fall under the two different weapon styles, although I guess my dwarven F/T can learn to wield both kinds well.
    @Elrandir‌ Its honestly self preference; although i seem to remember there being more 1 handed axes than 2 handed axes
    I'll probably just have him take both SWS and THWS. He is a proper dwarven warrior, after all. He's just a bit of a kleptomaniac.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited September 2014
    jackjack said:

For my first run:

Human Bard (Chaotic Good)
    Half-Orc Barbarian (Chaotic Neutral)
    Dwarven Fighter/Cleric (Lawful Neutral)
    Halfling Assassin (Lawful Evil)
    Elven Cleric/Mage (Neutral Good)
    Gnomish Wild Mage (Chaotic Evil)

Names to follow.

As badass as Fighter/Clerics are, why not Dwarven Defender?

Also, I don't think gnomes can be Wild Mages. They couldn't in BG2EE, IIRC.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I'll have to edit the race to Gnome. Which reminds me… @Troodon80‌ , is there any word on EEKeeper's potential compatibility with IWDEE?

As for the Dwarven Defender, I was on the fence, but I think you've swayed me. The Elf may need changing to Ranger/Cleric to pump up the Divine.
    Screw it. Lawful Neutral Dwarven Defender it is :D
    He'll probably get my usual name for Dwarves: Stonebeard
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    If IWD:EE uses BG2:EE's file structures, then Troodon80 would only have to let EEKeeper find/accept the directory of IWD:EE too.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    edited September 2014
    @CrevsDaak‌ Put those hints down before you hurt yourself Crev. Just imagine how it feels like not being able to play BG from the start again fresh. Don't listen any of us , just go @ your please.

"Someone shot by a spoiler bleeds the adrenaline for it." :)
    Or in the EE, it leaves you with a slot for a monk or sorcerer, to add even more classes.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I like the concept of mostly every class represented in party. I think I would use a monk or a barbarian in the last slot, depending on the availability of monk items in IWDEE.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Assuming Heart of Fury mode is still included, a solo sorcerer starting HoF from level 1 is likely all you need.

*wriggles in anticipation*

oh god... considering how hard Heart of Fury mode is your character will probably die of frostbite before making it to Hrothgar's house.