Skip to content

Best IWD party setup

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    jackjack said:

Fardragon said:

I wonder if they will remember to set Pale Justice so Blackguards can't use it?

My guess is that they won't be able to use it, but there will be a near-equivalent weapon unique to the kit.
    +7 vs Good is less likely to be useful...

And it will probably be a bastard sword, because they are obviously eviler.
    jackjackJuliusBorisovby_the_swordsemiticgoddess
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Fardragon said:

+7 vs Good is less likely to be useful...

And it will probably be a bastard sword, because they are obviously eviler.

Near-equivalent. Instead of +7 vs Good, it's probably got an extra d4 of fire-damage, or a 50% chance of 2d6 magic damage.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited September 2014
    That's... awfully rude of you to attack me when I never attacked you. You are new here, so I'll let it slide, but it's not nice to personal attack someone.

Then again, the thread is called "Best Party Setup" so when one comes to ask for party advice, that's what I'll do: give advice.
    elminsterRAM021Goturalvladpen
  • ShynShyn Member Posts: 73
    I would hardly call that an attack, but have it your way. Just asking for a little open minded-ness

I'm just tired of people bashing all sorts of classes simply because they dont do the most damage/have the most this/that.

And that is all there is to it.
    semiticgoddess
    The thing is, thread's called BEST Party Setup. Am I supposed to not suggest the best?
    ElrandirRAM021Goturalvladpen
  • ShynShyn Member Posts: 73
    Good point, but thats where my getting charmed comment kicks in.

But lets be fair, it isnt disclosed wether we are talking about HoF or not ;)
    CrevsDaak
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    There is no need for personal attacks. Actually it IS against the forum rules. Keep the conversation civil, please.
    CrevsDaakjackjackNonnahswriterJuliusBorisov
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    This is why I don't venture into threads discussing the "best" or "worst" party/NPC/character/class/race/whatever. A party/character/class/race/whatever is only as good--or as bad--as the player pulling the strings. Consider SoA/ToB: after 13 years the game has been beaten by every conceivable class or race, usually in a solo run or with only minimal NPCs. This disproves any claim of "worst" while claims of "best" is like asking "which is the best chocolate chip cookie in the bag of cookies?".
    kcwiserufus_hobartThe_Reverend
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Fardragon said:

Dazzu said:

I have no idea why people like Barbarian when the Dwarven Defender is better in every way that matters. HP? Same 1d12? Resistances? The Dwarf will get those too, AND can get more at the drop of a hat at lvl 1. Movespeed? Not such a big deal here. If you send your DD ahead of everyone else, he'll take the brunt anyway. Backstab Immunity? Minimal value in 2 small mini areas... and having high slash resistance trumps them anyway.

Barbarian Rage is not terrible, but I'd rather not risk the damage, especially on HoF.

The status immunities.

Also, the extra speed. It's handy when your tank runs faster than the rest of the party and gets ahead naturally.
    Also, you don't have to be restricted to playing as a dwarf.
    by_the_sword
  • CruelMetatronCruelMetatron Member Posts: 8

Icewind Dale heavily rewards parties that multi/dual class. You only need one thief. The first choice is how many player characters you will have. 3, 4, and 6 members are the most common. My favorite 6-player party was:

1. Human Paladin
    2. Ranger 8 -> Cleric (Chaotic Good)
    3. Gnome Fighter / Thief
    4. Half-Elf Bard
    5. Mage (unspecialized)
    6. Fighter 9 -> Mage

Since you start this game of as lvl 1 I'm wondering if it's really worth it to dual at 8 and 9. Even if you reach lvl 9/10 with the new class, won't the game be pretty much over by then? Or does IWD have pretty high XP cap and you reach a 8/9 and 9/10 char in somewhat reasonable time?
    kcwiseYupImMadBro
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

mlnevese said:

@Mathsorcerer‌ it is my opinion that the best cookie is always the last in the bag because it always makes me wish I one more ;)

In my opinion, the best cookie is the one in your hand because it is the cookie you have in the here and now.

IMO the best cookie is in your mouth as quickly as you can get it in so it doesn't get stolen from your hand by a hungry ferret.
    kcwiseCrevsDaakDragonspearElrandir
    The best cookie... is an extra cookie. More like a whole jar of them!
    kcwise
  • MasterofOssusMasterofOssus Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2014

1. Human Paladin
    2. Ranger 8 -> Cleric (Chaotic Good)
    3. Gnome Fighter / Thief
    4. Half-Elf Bard
    5. Mage (unspecialized)
    6. Fighter 9 -> Mage

Since you start this game of as lvl 1 I'm wondering if it's really worth it to dual at 8 and 9. Even if you reach lvl 9/10 with the new class, won't the game be pretty much over by then? Or does IWD have pretty high XP cap and you reach a 8/9 and 9/10 char in somewhat reasonable time?
    It's a good point. The party that I suggested is built for HoF, which you shouldn't start until you've completed the main game and the two expansions. IIRC, most of my parties ended up recovering their original classes around the end of the main game or the start of the two expansions. If you're not planning to play HoF, then you're right - it's probably better to switch over at around Ranger 2-4 or 6 (probably earlier since that IS your cleric) and Fighter 3. If you intend to play the entire game, the expansions, and HoF, then you'll end up playing something like 60-70% of the game (and all of the "hard" parts of the game) with access to the full abilities of the original classes, as well. IIRC, I generally made the switch somewhere around the Yxonemei fight, for reference, so with my party you're kind of grinding/carrying those two from the Severed Hands through Dorn's Deep. That's a long time, admittedly, but it does make the game easier in HoF.

It's up to you, of course, but with dual-classes in general the longer you stick with the base class then the better the character becomes at the end, and the quicker you switch them over then the less time you spend grinding. The Ranger, for example, can theoretically be dualed over at (something like) 12 or 13, but even I think that that's excessive and provides relatively few benefits.

I won't claim that this is the best party for every player, but it matched my play-style pretty well and it made the game quite a bit easier on me than the other parties I've played through the game with.
    kcwisejackjack
    What's with this ranger dualed to cleric at level 2? Unlike BG it wouldn't qualify you for druid spells, so Berserker2->cleric is way better (and more IWDish).
    CrevsDaakjackjackNimran
  • MasterofOssusMasterofOssus Member Posts: 5
    Fardragon said:

What's with this ranger dualed to cleric at level 2? Unlike BG it wouldn't qualify you for druid spells, so Berserker2->cleric is way better (and more IWDish).

Good point - I had completely forgotten that, and you're completely right to recommend a Berserker 2 -> Cleric dual, instead. Berserker is actually my favorite fighter kit, but not one that appears int he current IWD and so I had forgotten about the possibility. The immunities are actually even better than the Barbarian's, especially because in BG2 it protects them from Kangaxx.
    edited September 2014
    I wouldn't say never dual a ranger, but if I was following that path I would go stalker and dual at level 7, for maxed out stealth, 1st level druid spells, x2 backstab and +1/2 an attack. Level 9 would get x3 backstab and level 2 driud spells, but I think that is a bit late for a non-HoF IWD playthrough.

Edit: or play a multiclassed ranger/cleric instead.
    RAM021
    edited September 2014
    @bengoshi
    bengoshi said:

Now I'm leaning towards this:

Avenger

I'm holding off to see how the Avenger is implemented. It will probably get significant changes to reflect IWD druids. They get web anyway, so it's level 2 bonus spell would need to be changed. But the shape-shifting may also get adjusted. As it stands, Avengers get basic and bonus forms at the same time as vanilla druids: level 7. But in IWD vanilla druids get forms at 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15. Would Avengers get the vanilla forms as per IWD, plus all bonus forms lumped at level 7? Would the bonus forms be spread out: spider at 5, wyvern at 7, salamander at 9? Would they replace some or all of the vanilla forms?
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Fardragon said:

Are you sure a ranger dualled to cleric doesn't give you both cleric and Druid spells?

I'm pretty sure I remember making a ranger and dual classing into cleric at level 2, but it was a long time ago.

I recall doing a party like this once:

Fighter 3 > Druid
    Fighter 3 > Mage
    FMT
    Bard
    Paladin
    Ranger 2 > Cleric

It worked well, but I think
    I missed having short folk so much I restarted. LOL. I think my Mage had higher level spell slots, but nothing in her spellbooks before long also, which pissed me off.

It's nice having the ability to place multiple pips in weapons (like scimitar for the Druid, longbow for the Mage), for classes that are just a couple of thousand XP behind a true single classed character.

JuliusBorisov
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498

Fardragon said:

Why would anyone not want to be a dwarf?!

Beardfrost.
    soup

(you know what I'm talking about)
    jackjack
    edited September 2014
    @‌Klorox

Look at the "what's known" thread.
    elminsterjackjack
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Fardragon said:

@‌Klorox

Look at the "what's known" thread.

It's so weird though. I mean, in the BG series, the C/R having all divine spells has never been fixed because, well, "it just can't be fixed"

But it can for IWD? I just don't get it.
    jackjack
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited September 2014
    RAM021 said:

Nimran said:

IMO the best cookie is in your mouth as quickly as you can get it in so it doesn't get stolen from your hand by a hungry ferret.

Fear my pickpocketing Ferret Familiar!
    Sneaky little devil. Too bad she can't talk. She still took my cookie, btw.
    JuliusBorisovRAM021