Skip to content

IWD:EE Joinable NPCs - A vital question

1234568»

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited December 2014
    @GamingFreak‌ , the NPC Project npc's are designed for roleplaying, just like the Baldur's Gate npc's. Their stats are perfectly acceptable, and they will do fine as written, although I would agree that they each should have a ranged proficiency.

If the stats bother you, just Keeper them into any stats you want. I usually Keeper their proficiencies into what I want anyway, since I don't agree with the mod-writers choices there. A first level party with only two characters with a ranged weapons proficiency (Korin and Severn) will struggle quite a bit.

That "fighter-thief" is Teri, and you can actually choose to have her be a straight thief or a fighter-mage while installing the mod. Her stats are the way they are so she can be a good mage if the player chooses.

The reason to use the mod is if you want BG-style banters and party interaction while playing IWD. The stats and proficiencies can be anything you want.

The game will be more of a challenge if you leave the stats as they are, though. My stat-optimized party of four has rofl-stomped the game, no-reload, on core rules, all the way through lower Dorn's Deep and just now starting Heart of Winter, before going back to finish the OC.

I think I might try an NPC Project game next, just for the extra challenge of *not* having 18 STR-18 DEX-18 CON on every character, and for the slower leveling and tougher gold and equipment needs of having six people to take care of instead of only four.
  • baron_pampabaron_pampa Member Posts: 9
    Actually, I have finished Icewind Dale with NPC Project installed. The characters are, indeed, well-written. The romance stuff has two parts: One is player initiated and pretty bad, but entirely skippable. The NPC-initiated lovetalks are seldom and rather subtle, so it's not a problem. In the same time, the charmful five comments on the unveiling plot and newly-discovered locations, which adds a lot to the game. The backstories are nice, also. Their suboptimal stats are increasing difficulty and forcing the player to look for some new tactics. All of a sudden you'll find "Strength", "Cat's Grace" and similar spells to be really useful. The thing one may complain about is that it pretty much forces the player into rolling a mage, but there's option to make Teri a fighter/mage(which doesn't have sense story-wise, unfortunately). I strongly recommend the mod to anyone who wishes to add some life to the Dale.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Actually, I found Teri as a fighter/Mage/Thief worked well. She and Severn (bard) provided all the arcane magic the party needed. I dualled Nella to a Druid too.