Skip to content

plebiscite for Joinable NPCs (this doesn't compels the devs)

123457»

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    It seems that some people really enjoy rolling up a party of 4 to 6 characters, and working out extensive biographies for them, and as they play along, imagine what kind of conversations their characters are having with each other.

If you enjoy that type of game, that's all fine and interesting, but you could take that a step further and write your own story, rather than being restricted to a game. Alternatively, you could hook up with some friends and play some table-top D&D where you can actually interact with the other members of your party.

Personally, when I play a video game, I treat it much like watching a movie or reading a book story wise. I want the media to bring the story to me, not to have me work out the story myself. I do enjoy working out such stuff myself, around the table with friends, in an environment that's actually designed around that. In a computer game, I want the characters to talk, not to have to imagine them talking.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Still, one player, one avatar, not six avatars. In BG/BG2, you create one character, and run into other people to follow you, which is similar to the Half-Life issue you're referring to. (I get reverse motion sickness from 1st person games, so unfortunately, I never got into Half-Life.)

I don't think a computer game should try to emulate a tabletop game completely, but draw it's strength from things that aren't readily available in tabletop games.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Thels said:

It seems that some people really enjoy rolling up a party of 4 to 6 characters, and working out extensive biographies for them, and as they play along, imagine what kind of conversations their characters are having with each other.

If you enjoy that type of game, that's all fine and interesting, but you could take that a step further and write your own story, rather than being restricted to a game. Alternatively, you could hook up with some friends and play some table-top D&D where you can actually interact with the other members of your party.

Personally, when I play a video game, I treat it much like watching a movie or reading a book story wise. I want the media to bring the story to me, not to have me work out the story myself. I do enjoy working out such stuff myself, around the table with friends, in an environment that's actually designed around that. In a computer game, I want the characters to talk, not to have to imagine them talking.

That's fine. I don't like games about racing cars. You know what? I don't buy them. Save your money for PSTEE.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited October 2014
    Thels said:

Still, one player, one avatar, not six avatars. In BG/BG2, you create one character, and run into other people to follow you, which is similar to the Half-Life issue you're referring to. (I get reverse motion sickness from 1st person games, so unfortunately, I never got into Half-Life.)

I don't think a computer game should try to emulate a tabletop game completely, but draw it's strength from things that aren't readily available in tabletop games.

Like I said, it's in the same vein. By that I did not mean they were the exact same thing. So, yes, one player, six avatars. That's what Icewind Dale is about. It's perfectly valid and was an intentional design choice by the Black Isle developers.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    We're getting a second edwin odesserion here, but this one isn't so fun as the first.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    kamuizin said:

We're getting a second edwin odesserion here, but this one isn't so fun as the first.

I think you're confusing "fun" with "agrees with me" and "is mean to people who disagree with me so I don't have to be."
    kamuizin said:

Edrwin this, Edwin that. Give me 2000 years and a pointy hat and I will kick his arse.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Fardragon said:

kamuizin said:

Edrwin this, Edwin that. Give me 2000 years and a pointy hat and I will kick his arse.
    K, that was nice!

kamuizin said:

I think you're confusing "fun" with "agrees with me" and "is mean to people who disagree with me so I don't have to be."
    Speaking in confusion, care to clarify? Cos i didn't got what you mean.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Why not just be kind to one another, and respect differing opinions? Some people like @Thels like their CRPGs to be like movies in which they act the protagonist through a 'charname', whereas others like to create a larger part of their game world (more characters). Both are perfectly respectable points of view. No need to bicker. @booinyoureyes subtly tried to direct the discussion into a more positive direction. His contribution and subsequent posts have been pasted in a separate discussion. I'd say either let the current discussion die (it was becoming pretty repetitive anyway) or try to contribute something new.
    I think everyone understands that people like different things. The dispute is over wether to change something that one person likes to be more like something a different person likes.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited October 2014
    http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article/?articleid=268
    "RPGWatch: Will you add some fleshed out companions? (With banter, background story, personality etc.)

Liam: Icewind Dale has never really been about the companions, it's more about the strategic combat and epic locales. Companions aren't something we're currently considering, but that said, if IWD:EE does well it's definitely something we could consider if people were interested!"

is interested!

DLC! DLC! DLC!
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Yes please (sorry for thread necromancy...)!