Skip to content

Eve of War [Abandoned]

Comments

• MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    This looks good, cant wait to try it :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2015
    Figured I'd give an update since its basically been like 3 months. I'm putting some of it under a spoiler tag since it involves spoilers.

Obviously between real life and beamdog stuff I haven't had as much time for this as I'd hoped, but I have been putting a steady amount of work into this. This past week I was mostly focusing on doing a lot of work on kind of bringing up my initial work on this project (which I started when I was a lot less technically aware) up to a more advanced level. Just to improve its compatibility with other mods.

Today and yesterday I basically finished work on the Bassilus/Cyric questline. There is actually a second part of the quest line that I will get around to doing at some other date (but that part will have to be included after I release the mod). At this point I think all of the secondary quests I wanted to include prior to release are included and ready. The only exception to that being Thalantyr's murder (which I may have to revisit given its impact on other mods).

Today I was largely working on getting Imoen to appear in Chapter 6 in Candlekeep if you reject her as well as modifying the encounter during the grand duke ceremony so that if you have saved Duke Eltan previously, or you have Duke Eltan's body with you, you won't get auto-killed.

I should have more time to work on this in the next coming weeks as well. So things are progressing nicely. At this point its largely just the stuff in chapter 7 of Baldur's Gate that I have left to do.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I know that there is still long road ahead before you with EoW's development, but since you mentioned working on compatibility with other mods I'll do the same thing as doing in Faiths an Powers topic and will advocate for looking into compatibility with EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy). The mod's author @swit (a.k.a. K4thos) will surely be more than helpful to help you with this, since he helped adapting many mods to work with EET already. EET and EoW are two ptojects that I'm waiting for badly. That, and SoD of course. Then, I will finally be ready to start my grand custom Trilogy SCS run with favourite mods and tweaks installed.

Also, @elminster let me know when you achieve progress when you do not plan to add more dialogue lines. I'm interested to give the mod a go for Polish translation in the future, but would like to work with as much finished version content wise as possible. I know there's still long road ahead of you, but I thought that I'll let you know of my intentions just now :smile:
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    @Cahir, from the sound of it I don't see why the mod wouldn't work with EET when installed on BG:EE previous to installing EET on BG2:EE. I will check if it can be added to compatibility list when it's released. In such case @elminster wouldn't even need to change a single thing for his mod to be compatible.

On the other hand if elminster is planning to expand this mod with BG2:EE content than it will be worth adding native support to it (which means a way to install it after EET on BG2:EE). Again once the mod is released I will be able to help with this task. This can be done automatically with EET_modConverter tool available within EET package.
    BG2EE content will be handled by a seperate mod.
    edited November 2015
    Just an addendum to yesterdays update. Today I finished programming and writing all of Alatos's lines.

So as it stands now players who complete the quest to gather the Halruaan Sky Components, and survive the encounter with the mage, should unlock further conversation with Alatos that will prompt them to investigate the Iron Throne on his behalf. Rather than requiring you to deal with the Fist. Players then will get appropriate journal updates that will direct them through the quest (as you would if you were siding with the Fist). Eventually you report back to Alatos and he gives you a book to enter Candlekeep with (and advances the chapter to Chapter 6).

I also expanded the options you have when talking to the Keeper of the Portal. So players can now instead give Balduran's Logbook as a book when entering Candlekeep.

I've also removed the silly auto-kill that Duke Eltan had when it came to you refusing to discuss the Iron Throne. So players who decide they want to back out from that quest line will at least have the option to do so.

The final thing I accomplished today relates to Candlekeep.

As I mentioned in my intro one of the options that players will now have is the possibility of attacking and potentially even killing someone in Candlekeep before they initially leave (during the prologue). This includes attacking Gorion as well. If this path is taken people in Candlekeep will be understandably extremely angry at you for your actions. In some cases I chose not to change some encounters if you go down this path, though for the most part all the big encounters that you experience in Candlekeep (including the Keeper of the Portal) will have had their dialogue changed in some way for players who take this route. This won't affect players that play through the game as they would have previously (players that don't make Candlekeep hostile towards them).

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    It's amazing that I managed to miss this thread for such a long time.

I just want to congratulate @Elminster for what seems to be a fantastic mod, worthy of being official content.

If there's ever a beta, I'm enthusiastically applying to it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    RE: Thalantyr's death. I thought about it for awhile, given the existence of the upgrade mod, and I've basically decided that the old codger will die. However, his death will relate to you starting down a new questline. So the existing mod should remain compatible provided that you don't extensively go down that road.

This last week I've done a few more things mod wise.

I started working on the negotiations quests. Basically fearing the possibility of a war Kelddeth asks you to negotiate with some of the nearby settlements in order to insure the safekeeping of Beregost's citizens in the event that they need to flee. So you've got up to 4 different places you can go to request an agreement. Generally the people you are interacting with will be a community leaders, though that won't always be the case. They'll probably also want you to solve a problem in their community before they'll agree to take in any refugees.

• SelisSelis Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2015
    I like the idea of this mod, a lot.

PS. Elminster should still dieeeeeeee.
    edited November 2015
    Also another thing I worked on (which I forgot) had to do with a component for the werewolf island Karoug encounter.

Karoug is now able to be hit by any magical weapon. The silver weapon only restriction is removed (in PnP its supposed to be immune to normal weapons that aren't cold iron, rather than silver, but not immune to magic weapons. So bioware really mucked it all up. Since there aren't any normal weapons that are cold iron/silver (and at that point in the game given the existence of magical weapons anyways there isn't much point in adding them) I opted to just remove that restriction all together.

Technically there also isn't a Greater Werewolf mentioned as far as I'm aware in any forgotten realms book. The only one is from Ravenloft. So that is what I based him off of.

He instead now has 50% magic resistance like other Greater Wolfweres. Instead of doing 1d12 damage with 3 attacks per round he has two 1d6 slashing attacks and a 2d6 piercing attack. He will also randomly summon 2d6 Dire Wolves in the event that his initial allies are killed. Finally, I've increased his regeneration rate to 8 health per second, to make it consistent with both the source material (which states that he should be healing almost all of his 66 health in a given round) and with how the shapechange: greater wolfwere 9th level wizard spell works.

Non-ship wolfweres now have 10% magic resistance to keep them consistent with PnP. Daese and other wolfweres within the ship have 25% (just because the game already makes them slightly more powerful than their other counterparts, so that is consistent with how the game handles them).
    Post edited by elminster on
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    everything's looking fine!
    All right, now I'm officially hyped:)
    Aaaa, your kilin' me @elminster. When, oh when, will you release it? This stuff is filled with lore and I can feel that the BG world will be enriched with this mod greatly. I'm lovin' it!
    In case anyone missed it I posted about the BG2EE follow up to this mod here. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/45059/a-journeys-end-work-in-progress#latest
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited December 2015
    Will theese adventures be separated of SoD or intertwined?
    edited December 2015
    I'm not going to comment about anything SoD related (largely for NDA reasons).
    edited December 2015
    One of the things I did tonight was basically begin moving some of the sewer entrances/exits to make them more realistic to where things line up in the streets above.

These are unmodified maps taken from Dudleyville (so that you can visualize what I'm referring to)

North East above ground

East above ground

South East above ground

East sewers

Central sewers

So for instance in the case of the east sewers

- E1 was moved to the north-east corner so that it is just south-east of NE1.
    - E6 was moved so that it is about the same as E5 in terms of its Y axis, except now is to the right. Its still in the circular area you found it before.
    - SE3 was moved so that it is to the south-west of SE2 at the end of one of the tunnels.
    - Some of the previously used entrances now have an info trigger which (if clicked on) describes why that particular entrance is not usable (there are actually a lot of places that are visually shown to be a set of entrances in the sewers that aren't used).

and in case of the central sewers

- the entrance from the east sewers (and exit to them) was moved to where N3 is. N3 was moved a tiny bit north so that it is on the corner (where the stairs actually are). The current entrance/exit for them now longer exists (so going that far south has no real purpose).
    - I haven't done it yet but I plan to switch D2 with D3. This move doesn't make sense if you look at the city as a whole but from the standpoint of the layout of the docks it makes more sense.
    - C2 and C3 will be moved somewhere to the left of C4.
    - By my count there are 10 stairs and 16 places where stairs are claimed to be. Bioware put stairs (as in exits/entrances) in places where there is no visual evidence of there being any stair (stairs aren't very helpful if you can't see them). I may need to add in some map markers to indicate where some of them are.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited December 2015
    If I might make a suggestion on the E sewers:

* Make E2 and E3 in the sewers both go up to E1 on the E Baldur's Gate map. Going down can go to E3 (since it's more obvious)
    * Sewer E4 and E1 go to City E3 and E2, respectively.
    * Add an exit at the end of that unused branch SW of the Ogre Mage to City E4.
    * Sewer E6 to City E5. There's also another sewer grate by the wagon across the street from City E5 to direct to Sewer E5.
    * Sewer SE3 to City E6 (since you're moving SE3)
    edited December 2015
    Pretty much looked at the sewers today and decided that it was going to be too much work to try to fix. Particularly in a way that was compatible with other mods (plus I'd probably have to make up a map anyways to point out my fixes, so in the end it all didn't seem worth it).

Instead I spent some time today adding some new stuff for Brage as well as the ceremony with the grand dukes.

So now in the unlikely event that you have Remove Curse memorized, and you fail his riddle, you can cast it on him and he will come to his senses.

Also you can tell him you are taking him back to the garrison. Which then leads to some dialogue with "Hick" (who is an amnian guard that was using the hick.cre file and the hick.dlg file, so I figured Bioware probably thought of calling him "Hick" at one point). Obviously this leads to a reward.

As far as the ceremony goes how it now works will be this. You can now save duke eltan (but not have any documents) and not find yourself being autokilled. As long as you either bring him to the ceremony or give his body to the Harbormaster you should have it that either Duke Eltan or someone else intervenes on your behalf. Sarevok then threatens them which leads to a fight (and him fleeing). This happens even if Liia and Belt are killed during the ceremony (someone else is present who vouches for you).