Skip to content

Which is the Best Battle Steed?

kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
edited December 2014 in Off-Topic
If you were allowed to have your PC ride a hardy steed into battle, which would you choose (no points for guessing where this list came from!)
  1. Which is the Best Battle Steed?28 votes
    1. A Horse (or Destrier for the posh people)
      32.14%
    2. A huge Elk (or Moose, if you prefer but definitely not a chocolate one!)
      21.43%
    3. A Mountain Ram (a sure footed male mountain sheep, as featured in Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow & Thorn trilogy , and also a certain recent movie)
        7.14%
    4. A War Boar as seen in Dawn of the Dragons , sung about by Black Sabbath, and featured in a certain recent movie.
        0.00%
    5. A Giant Eagle from either The Forgotten Realms or Middle Earth.
      28.57%
    6. A Rock Troll – Intra Cranial Steerage Device optional.
        0.00%
    7. A Giant War Bat - Strictly for those who are already a little bats!
      10.71%

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Really I want a dragon though. But a giant eagle will do. "All I want for Christmas is..."
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    If you've got a giant eagle mount Sarevok would pose no threat to you. Ok Sarevok you want to stand in a field while Gorion and I fly well above you laughing...no problem :)
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I'd like to ride a large tiger.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    jackjack said:

Call me a traditionalist.

Right there with ya! Of course, holy swords don't have much say in what mount the paladin chooses. We just have to hope we don't end up romping around on a giant ice weasel or something.

Here's my choice for horse (not 2nd Edition, oh well):
    Celestial Charger: The archetypal Paladin's mount. Speed 8, and it's Zephyr Footing ability allows to ignore difficult terrain and move across any solid or liquid surface. Very useful. It's Mount Action "Celestial Charge" causes it's rider to deal an extra 2d6 radiant dmg on charge attacks. It's listed as an Encounter power in the compendium (at-will in the MM), but worded as a passive effect, so you may want to discuss the usage of this one with your DM. VERY powerful if it is passive, as all the usual comments for charge and radiant support apply here. +5 to saves vs fear is a nice addon. Lawful Good alignment, so be nice to it!
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    A dire fox. . .

What? What's with that look? Those exist, don't they?
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    edited December 2014
    Red hare to be exact!

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Riding Lizards. The one thing that Drows did right!
    Alternatively, I wouldn't mind having either a Remorhaz or Bebilith mount either.

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I always wanted to fly like the eagles, but alas, 'tis more than just taking their wings.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
  • OudynOudyn Member Posts: 74
    Gotta be Canadian after all. Oh, right. That's where the list came from. That movie. Well, I play an elf, so choice still stands.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I'd have one of these
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    Psssssssssssssst ... this is a POLL! You're supposed to pick one of the choices in the poll ....

@wubble where in the nine hells would you actually sit on one of those. The middle of the back looks very curved, with a large, wide rib cage and a very prominent spinal ridge. You'd find it damn hard to stay on there, and also bloody uncomfortable with that spine digging in and your legs spread wayyyyy to wide. And can you imagine falling forward to land on that big bony thingy sticking out over it's neck. I much prefer my moose!.
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    The tank Fury was a pretty good steed!

But I guess a Tiger is even more effective =)
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    kiwidoc said:

Psssssssssssssst ... this is a POLL! You're supposed to pick one of the choices in the poll ....

@wubble where in the nine hells would you actually sit on one of those. The middle of the back looks very curved, with a large, wide rib cage and a very prominent spinal ridge. You'd find it damn hard to stay on there, and also bloody uncomfortable with that spine digging in and your legs spread wayyyyy to wide. And can you imagine falling forward to land on that big bony thingy sticking out over it's neck. I much prefer my moose!.

I'd make a saddle.

Oh all right I'll answer the poll then.
  • supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206
    Not sure what a war bat is, but it sounds gangsta
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    This seems pretty badass too:

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

Not sure what a war bat is, but it sounds gangsta

It's in the latest hobbit movie. All of these are.
  • supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206
    I saw the first one and wasn't impressed. It was about as cool as Microsoft Hobbit would be.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

I saw the first one and wasn't impressed. It was about as cool as Microsoft Hobbit would be.

The first one was a glowing gem(far more beautiful than this on's CGI arkenstone) compared to the other two, especially this last one. Tom cruise would say the battle scenes were overwrought, a skyrim horse would question the physics, and minecraft would point and laugh at the CGI.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    And yet it's still awesome. The Hobbit was my favorite book, and the movies are better than LotR. That said, I haven't seen number 3, and I'm not hearing great things. But I don't care!