Skip to content

The Party of Spiders: No-reload SCS2 run

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    That would explain why Sil still got damaged by the dragon's breath weapon while she was in Iron Golem form. The Iron Golem form has immunity to acid damage, but not poison damage.
    One section left before the Final Seal battles. We have to summon a bunch of increasingly difficult enemies and kill them. The nominal puzzle aspect of this section is that you have to
    put green globes in the green pillar, red globes in the red pillar, purple globes in the purple pillar, and blue globes in the blue pillar.

The notable encounters here include (1) four mages who come out individually (2) a pack of Wolfweres (3) a gang of Vampires (4) a gaggle of Beholders, and (5) a cabal of Liches. Luckily for me, GameFAQS said you don't have to fight all of them.
    Apparently any green globe, for example, can be put in the green pillar to solve the puzzle. Same goes for the other colors. I thought you need to get all four globes, and put the right one in the pillar, but all globes work.

So, I prepare the party and summon one of the mages.

Jan's Time Trap gives him automatic hits for just over a round. And since the Mage's defenses don't come out immediately, Jan gets in a free backstab.

We try it again on the next Mage.

See the red icon on Jan's portrait? That's the Assassination icon. Assassination lasts 6 seconds and makes all hits into backstabs. This works marvelously with the right setup.

Same as normal, Jan shapeshifts into a spider, dispels the spider weapon with a Minor Sequencer, and Aerie casts Improved Haste on him, giving him 8 APR. When the Mage comes out, she triggers Jan's Time Trap, giving Jan 10 seconds of automatic hits. Jan activates Assassination, so he gets 8 automatic backstabs at 5x damage. If his target has no Stoneskins and doesn't have Improved Mantle or Absolute Immunity, Jan can deal hundreds of damage before the Time Trap's duration runs out. In this case, he's using the Staff of the Ram, for over 60 damage per hit on average.

The party has some rather remarkable damage dealing capabilities, but they are very inflexible in how that can be done. They require certain assumptions in order to operate as fighters effectively. Fortunately, HP-heavy enemies tend not to be spellcasters, which usually simplifies the picture. The Greater Wolfweres are a good example: since they do little more than run at you and attack, our buffs remained untouched. Sil might not be able to tear apart a dragon in Iron Golem form, but she can easily chunk Greater Wolfweres and other melee-based enemies.

GameFAQS misled me on one point. The second undead group (there are four encounters for every color; purple is all undead) turns out not to be a horde of Shadows, but a horde of Devil Shades.

Remember how nobody likes these guys?

Luckily, we have the spells to hold off the group for a moment, and Nalia has a Chain Contingency ready.

Horrid Wilting clears the scene very quickly.

Anyway, I got surprised again. This time it was a worse surprise. I decided to summon the gaggle of Beholders, only to find that there were more than mere Beholders in the bunch.

A Hive Mother. A Death Tyrant. And an Elder Orb. The three deadliest kinds of the single deadliest enemy type in BG2. Thank goodness we prepared.

Well, prepared in the sense that we summoned some critters and cast Energy Blades and Shapechange. Not prepared in the sense that we didn't cast ANY buffs. All we've got is the Cloak of Mirroring and Sil's Iron Golem form.

And, of course, since these are Beholders, Jan naturally set two Time Traps and five normal traps. So he's got 20 seconds to act before the battle really begins.

Unfortunately, since he's not in spider form, there's not much he can do besides use the Wand of Spell Striking to cast Breach on the Elder Orb and Hive Mother, and fire some Bolts of Lightning at the Death Tyrant.

While time was stopped, Nalia's Chain Contingency triggered. I move her clones out of the way, very aware of how easily the Beholders could disable the whole bunch.

Imoen summons the Flesh Golem, Aerie attacks with Energy Blades, and once Sil is in Iron Golem form, she rushes up to slap around the Hive Mother. The clones begin to cast Time Stop.

We begin with a Greater Malison spell, then just use Horrid Wilting and either Vampiric Touch or Magic Missile. The clones also throw some darts during the Time Stop. I notice somewhere along the way that there are only two Beholders left, so I go back to see if the third one died.

All the Beholders got hit by Jan's traps, but the Death Tyrant took FAR more damage than the others. The Hive Mother is very resistant, and the Elder Orb flat-out immune.

With the area suffused with Horrid Wilting spells, the Beholders start to come down.

All our summons suddenly dry up. We resort to a group charge, but none of us besides Sil is particularly strong. Magic Missiles from the clones speed things up.

The Hive Mother has some healing magic, which helps it cling to life a bit longer.

We all contribute our little spells. Implosion doesn't do much, but it's still a lot more effective than Magic Missile.

The Hive Mother falls right before casting some Conjuration spell. I'd hate to see what a Beholder would summon. The last summoning spell I saw from a Beholder brought out a Death Tyrant.

I almost forget to pick up the Cloak of Mirroring. SCS2 Beholders like to steal it from you.

The rationale is that they see their rays aren't getting their way through the cloak, so they use telekinesis to nab it from you. Same goes for the Shield of Balduran. Not sure why they don't use their telekinesis powers to steal your weapons, which would be a lot easier to pull off than a shield. I guess they don't view other items as a threat.

The Final Seal battles lay ahead. I haven't decided if I'll save them for later, but there's a big reward if I do. I don't plan on fighting Demogorgon, so once I've broken the final seal, the quest can be completed without any further risk.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Very entertaining run. Hate to be a party pooper, but I think Haer is a better fit than the ridiculous Cernd, though Cernd was clearly better. Can he get trap HLAs in your setup? UAI is handy either way, though for a Bard its much worse than a Thief. Maybe he can wield Carsomyr for you? 50% MR is handy situationally, though APR could be bothersome.
    On to Suldanessellar!

I never liked that blank, sickly green background. I know a different shade of green wouldn't have been much better, but there really should have been a texture. A flat color calls to mind mist, and pale green mist doesn't look real.
    You can't see it on the map, at least. Though we do have some laggy parts.

It might just be an SCS2 thing, since so much more is happening in SCS2 than vanilla BG2.

Suldanessellar has several clusters of difficult encounters. The Rakshasas are immune to lots of things, abuse the hell out of area effect attacks, and come protected with lots of illusion spells. We also have to deal with the toughest golems in BG2.

Everybody does very pitiful damage against Adamantite and Iron Golems, even Sil.

We get ambushed on the way to some Skeleton Warriors. These golems are all over the place.

Aerie summons a Deva. By this time in the game, there aren't a lot of critters that can stand up to our summons.

Instead of fighting Raamilat face to face, we just throw out Comet and Dragon's Breath. He's immune to cold and magic damage, but not fire.

He failed his save against Dragon's Breath, but the unconsciousness only lasts 3 seconds. Comet knocks the victim unconscious for 18 seconds, but has no save penalty, and Raamilat was unaffected. To keep the party fully buffed, Jan runs away, so Raamilat's Remove Magic only hits Jan.

The Nabassu is in really awful shape. Raamilat, meanwhile, is struggling to keep up his defenses. He has Improved Mantle, and since we're too lazy to break down his spell protections, we can't hit him very often for a moment.

He also has a PFMW Contingency, but we can get past that. Sil and Aerie equip normal bullets, Jan equips normal bolts, Haer'dalis takes a short sword in his main hand, Nalia switches to a short bow (she normally uses the Crimson Dart and Buckler +1) and she and Imoen use normal arrows.

Haer'dalis still gets a Weapon Ineffective message due to having Kundane in his off hand.

I was particularly worried about the group of Rakshasas outside the Temple of Rillifane, so I had Sil cast Farsight so Nalia's clones could run in during Time Stop (currently, Nalia can cast Time Stop twice per day) and throw out Horrid Wilting spells.

In between Horrid Wilting spells, the clones throw the Crimson Dart at the Iron Golem. Automatic hits because of Time Stop, and they have lots of attacks per round.

I think the reason why projected images can sometimes attack is because their base APR is set to zero, and that's what is supposed to prevent them from attacking. But if the character is using, say, the Crimson Dart, the dart's base 3 APR setting overrides the clone's zero APR, so it attacks normally when using the Crimson Dart. This would explain why Nalia's clones have never been able to attack with the Dagger of the Star: it has no passive APR effect.

A Maharajah managed to survive the first assault, and drank a potion or two while invisible, but when he returned to attack us, he no longer posed a threat.

Rakshasas have excellent immunities in the sense that they're immune to level 7 spells and below (except, in SCS2, Breach), immune to normal weapons, and can cast PFMW, but they're otherwise fairly weak. Horrid Wilting bypasses their spell level immunities, and since they don't have Protection from Magical Energy or MR, they crumple under the weight of Horrid WIlting.

For the other group of Rakshasas, Nalia created no clones, and instead attacked directly. Dragon's Breath also goes right through Rakshasa spell level immunities.

Basically the same thing happens in Demin's house.

Rakshasas are boring at this level.

Next up, Nizidramanii'yt and Suneer.
    Hello everyone. I have news.

I just took on Irenicus in Hell. This is an exceptionally long story, so I will split it up into multiple posts. This will take a very long time to explain.

After finishing the test of Wrath, I didn't have much else to do. I only really wanted the Tears of Bhaal from the Greed test and the Selfishness test. To avoid losing anything in the Selfishness test, I used an old trick to become immune to the stat reductions. You can avoid all penalties by using SI: Divination. But I actually used the Wand of Lightning trick to achieve immunity to all spell schools, just in case I was wrong about the school.

You still get the message, but it has no real effect. Hence the Spell Ineffective message. Notice that Sil has the menu for SI spells. When you use the Wand of Lightning trick to cast Spell Immunity, that menu doesn't go away after you cast the first spell, so you can achieve immunity to all schools and maintain it indefinitely, as long as you don't switch to another character.

Before we do our final preparations, I set up Sil's Tears of Bhaal rewards. There's a trick that I'm very fond of that allows you to get multiple bonuses of the same kind, instead of getting one of each reward, good or evil. Sil picks the Selfishness test and Greed test because they give very nice defensive bonuses: magic resistance and save bonuses. I will give her the save bonuses twice so that her base save vs. spell and death are at -2 when she has the Ring of Protection +2, Robe of the Good Archmagi, and Helm of Balduran equipped. That's an undispellable immunity to basically all save or else spells. With the Shield of the Lost, Robe of the Good Archmagi, and the MR bonus from the Machine of Lum the Mad, the Hell bonus to MR to will put her magic resistance at 50, which will allow her to reach 100 MR with a single Potion of Magic Protection.

The trick is to remove all Tears of Bhaal from your inventory except the one that corresponds to the bonus you want. You click the door, wait for the screen to shake, and remove the Tear of Bhaal. You get the bonus without losing that Tear, allowing you to reuse it. Unfortunately for us, the door always opens after five bonuses have been activated, even if you only ever trigger the Greed bonus.

You still get the message saying you lost the Tear, not that it matters.

To get a better idea of what I was facing, I double-checked the SCS2 readme and also re-watched Stworca on Youtube play through this battle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBe8EV_MCgM
    This let me know where each enemy would first appear.

Jan sets some Spike Traps in the right places. Four of them go to where the Dragon of Pride spawns, which should be enough to kill it.

Three of them will also go to the Orb of Fear's spawn point, which might not be enough to kill it, but will still help out.

I went through our spellbooks several times and made some tweaks to our setup. For one thing, we decided to use Limited Wish to cast Chain Contingency, which allows Jan, Aerie, or Imoen to get extra clones, though only Aerie can put three Project Image spells in the contingency. We pick Jan over Imoen on the grounds that he has some better tools at his disposal.

In lieu of a third Project Image, we pick Spell Deflection, since it will save us a 6th-level spell slot, which we need for Protection from Magical Energy. In his playthrough, one of Stworca's characters took 54 damage from Irenicus' Horrid Wilting even after down a Potion of Magic Shielding, which would have cut damage in half and ensured a successful save. None of our characters could survive a Horrid Wilting spell that did over 200 damage on a failed save. So, we need immunity to magic damage.

This is what the party looked like before the battle began.

Aerie

Sil

Jan

Nalia

Imoen

Haer'dalis

Notable things:
    1: We have five Wands of Spell Striking, which have varying numbers of charges. Somehow we picked up a lot in Watcher's Keep.
    2: We have a Red Globe, Purple Globe, and three Green Globes. The Red Globe heals 64 HP. The Purple Globe sets STR to 23 or so for 10 turns. One of the Green Globes summons a friendly Shambling Mound; the other two cast Acid Arrow and Invisibility. I don't know which is which, so we'll use all of them.
    3: Sil has a scroll of Black Blade of Disaster. I couldn't decide if I wanted her to scribe this scroll, so I saved it. The weapon itself is notable for having +5 to THAC0 and doing 2d12 base damage, which is 24 if Sil uses Righteous Magic. It's a strong alternative to the Iron Golem form.
    4: Jan has a Vampiric Touch scroll. He can't normally cast it, but I saved this one to make sure that he could get a little extra HP for this fight.
    5: Everybody appears to be wearing Bracers of Defense AC 8. That's actually the custom item I use for buffing, with Improved Alacrity and +9 to casting time, but for this battle I decided not to use it. Our buffs would only last as long as they normally would.

But since I really want to make sure we're at our absolute strongest when the fight begins, Sil has memorized Wish, which she will cast after all of our relevant spells have finished casting. We will repeat the process until it lets us restore our spells, which will help us if our buffs get dispelled.

Just kidding. I used Shadowkeeper to restore everybody's spells, for convenience's sake. Here we are with a bunch of summons, all buffed and ready to go, but also with a full spellbook for the whole party. Quite nice.

Sil runs up and clicks on the door. She gets her final magic resistance bonus, and Irenicus appears.

On the plus side, one enemy is already dead. Unfortunately, that was the sword, which was probably the least dangerous enemy of the group. I was trying to kill the much more dangerous dragon. Either way, the fight begins.

Remember how I said you need SI: Illusion to protect yourself from Irenicus' Shatter Magic spell?

Well, I forgot to cast it.

The battle has begun, and though we have all of our spells, we are completely defenseless.