Skip to content

The Party of Spiders: No-reload SCS2 run

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Toop the Brave and company, incidentally, were extremely easy, since most of the party fell to Comet and Dragon's Breath.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    /applause
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited February 2015
    I remember getting so frustrated at these improved giants. I have done insta-kill tactics to prevent their massive regeneration and healing potions.

Basically enter invisible, retreat to a safe position to set up project images, use time stop constantly and never give them a chance to attack:Time stop+and in an improved alacrity fury, greater malison+doom and a few energy drain spells:energy drain spell greatly debuffs the enemy's saving throws, and with project images you can get a lot of castings. Giants have amazing saves but after this treatment they get something like -10 to all saves. Add in a flesh to stone, disintegrate, or even more powerful finger of death and they fall %50 of the time. Right from full health. I concentrate on debuffing one as most as possible in a time stop, and then get rid of it by killer spells. If you debuff a few of them, wail of the banshee can work on multiple giants:it was a very satisfying sight when I did that. Staff of magi is a very potent weapon here as you and your clones can vanish at will:giants can not see invisible.

A high lvl c/m can set up time stop+harm combo but then you should strike out the last remaining hp fast as giants regenerate in an astonishing rate!

Also, can't you just time stop and devour their brains in mf form? Haven't tried that as I never use the spell:are they immune to int drain? If not they should die in a couple hits I don't think they are the smartest of monsters.
    @lunar: I forgot to mention, killing monsters with INT drain prevents you from getting any XP from the kill. I got nothing from eating Berenn and Brimstone's brains. And the Fire Giants are worth 16,000 XP each, as I recall.

What exactly are the mechanics for level drain? Does it really decrease their saving throws? Will it drain enemy spell slots? Decrease HP? THAC0? APR?
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    As you progress in ToB be mindful of time stop. I just wrapped up my playthrough this weekend and there's a couple bosses that keep moving (at least in EE). Giving an opponent a free time stop will wreak havoc on your strategy.

Also are you collecting pantaloons?
    @hispls: I think only Melissan and Demogorgon are immune to Time Stop. I'm not sure if I would get automatic hits on Melissan anyway during Time Stop, but it might make it worth it.

I am not collecting pantaloons. This party has no gear or bonuses from BG1, since in vanilla, non-BG:EE BG1, you can't be a Cleric of Lathander. I do love the Scorcher Ammunition and Frag Grenades, though. They're marvelous for Archers.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, there WAS Tutu. ;)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    DreadKhan said:

Well, there WAS Tutu. ;)

and something much better, BGT.
    @DreadKhan: Well, since this is already a modded run by virtue of SCS, which itself applies to Tutu anyway, I think some BG1 bonuses are in order! Sil gets an extra 3 WIS and an extra 1 for every other ability score.

One thing: aren't there items besides the Golden Pantaloons that you can get from BG1? I think I've only actually imported a BG1 character into BG2 once in over ten years of playing BG2, so I don't really know what all the benefits are from importing.
    Well, thats hardly gonna break the game anyways. Also, everyone knows good ol' Tutu is WAY more dignified than Trilogy. Or something. You can get other items now more readily, but I doubt you would care at this point about those.
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166

@DreadKhan: Well, since this is already a modded run by virtue of SCS, which itself applies to Tutu anyway, I think some BG1 bonuses are in order! Sil gets an extra 3 WIS and an extra 1 for every other ability score.

One thing: aren't there items besides the Golden Pantaloons that you can get from BG1? I think I've only actually imported a BG1 character into BG2 once in over ten years of playing BG2, so I don't really know what all the benefits are from importing.

There's a handful of other stuff that you can import that will NOT be in your inventory but you do find scattered around the first dungeon. There's a chart somewhere online of the items that will port over. The memorable stuff is the Balduran sword and armor pieces... pretty much all of it is for sale in BG2 anyway apart from pantaloons so you're not missing that much but some items faster + a jump on XP by porting in a character.

As far as immunity to Time Stop, in my game Abazigal (sp?) managed to keep moving through it. Playing un-modded EE. Just be wary, you may or may not have an issue with original game + mods but in those really big boss fights I wouldn't bet a no-save game on it working.

In other news, I had a really rough time with the actual ToB battle. Not remembering the game, my spellbooks were very ill prepared for what was coming. I'm very interested to see how this plays out for you with the mods.
    Cliffhanger!!

Will our Heros succumb to the slimey embrace of Shamblers? Will the foul Witch use vile magic of evil to slaughter the party?

STAY TUNED!
    Trying to upload images has stalled repeatedly. I will need to shorten my posts to avoid having to upload the same images several times in a row.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Nicely done!
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Ooh you have scs improved Abazigal Lair, yes? Battles with multiple dragons without rest in between! Way too cool.