Ladies and gentle Azure Dragons,
I'd like to present Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - Horn of the Abyss
to you.What is it?
HoMM3 HotA is an unofficial, fan-made add-on to Heroes of Might and Magic 3.
While in the Wake of Gods (WOG) turns the gameplay upside down with
experience for monsters and rebuilding towns and many more things,
Horns of the Abyss stays very true to the original game and its expansion.
(Don't get me wrong, WOG can be a lot of fun, too!)
In truth it feels like the original developers of HoMM3 could have created this.What's new?
You can check out at their forum for complete information on this.
What I have discovered so far:
- Support of very, very, VERY large maps
- Graphical fixes for towns (for example castle gate in Inferno was visually blocked by magog building)
- Hommage to HoMM2: Mansion, Red Tower, Ivory Tower, graveyard and Black Tower are back!
They're buildings on the adventure map where you fight monsters to gain armies, res or artifacts.
- Warehouses of ressources. Like warehouse of Ore where you can fetch a small amount of ore
once a week.
- Magogs and Liches can shoot their AOE attack now at any hex field they want!
(Except for the hex field they stand on and the adjacent ones)
- Finally the mechanism of having "bad luck" works!
- A whole new faction: Cove Town! (pirate themed)
- many many more things, check out their forum!The campaign
I'm not far in the campaign yet. It does feature a lot more text than the original campaigns.
The first one is about Jeremy Albatross, a pirate, who strands on a island between Eeofol and Nighon.
It introduces the new Cove town.Where can I find out more?
Visit the official thread about Horn of the Abyss.
There you can download and install it easily enough.Any downsides so far?
The game does crash occasionally, so better save often.
(By the way WOG did this also to me...)My opinion:
I'm so excited about it that I've decided this will be my new standard version of HoMM3.
I cannot praise this game enough for being so true to the original game!
When you install it and you feel like you want to play without it you can still do that!
You can switch between Horn of the Abyss and the Complete version
without any need to uninstall and re-install anything.
For me, "Horn of the Abyss" would qualify as a "Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Enhanced Edition"
And it's for free. I'd totally spend money on this if it wasn't. Other HoMM3 related stuff on our forum:Heroes of Might & Magic III HD Edition Poll: Your favorite Heroes of Might and Magic 3 factionFan project: Baldur's Gate meets Heroes of Might and Magic 3