Skip to content

Sword Coast Legends. Is this the spiritual successor to NWN?

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    edited April 2015
    This mod made NWN a 100000 times better for me.
    YOU CAN PLAY AS A PIXIE! <3
    http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/player-resource-consortiums-prc-pack-v35

You need this mod as well to create these super cool characters!
    http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/prc-character-creator-18-linux-and-mac-compatible

Finally here's the manual with all that is in the mod.
    http://www.athasreborn.com/prc/manual/

Edit: It has the necropolitan template, a Lich template, and then Lich and Baelnorn as classes if you're not playing a standard race.

After Pool of Radiance, Pillars of Eternity, and DA:I I plan on running the expansions of NWN1 as a Lich True Necromancer thing.

I DESPERATELY hope that SCL provides this sort of modability! LIKE REALLY.

Let us edit everything and play with the engine! Who knows, maybe like NWN2, people will re-create older games with this neat engine! (IWD and BG1 were made into campaigns for NWN2 by modders.)

Edit the second: Also, with the NWN1 Prc mod above it has the leadership feat and lets you create your own cohort.

I haven't played Hordes of the Underdark but I know you get to have two companions instead of one. My Necromancer will take Leadership, have the two companions, and have my undead summon and familiar, creating a 6-man party (sort of)! n_n
    Post edited by Vallmyr on
    jackjackthe_spyderFlashburn
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    In addition to mods mentioned in my previous post, for NWN2 I would absolutely recommend both the re-make of Pools of Radiance and one called Tales From the Lake of Sorrows. Big, highly polished campaigns.

There are also full re-makes of Baldur's Gate 1 and Icewind Dale, though I've never bothered, since I have easy access to the real thing. I would imagine that BG2 wasn't done because the task is simply too daunting.
    the_spyderjackjack
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Vallmyr said:

I hope this as well, although I suspect we will both be disappointed. Not gonna judge until the finished product, but based on the stuff we've seen thus far I suspect that the game developers are more focused on a kind of mini MMO style game with some slap-dash tools to make it look modable.

As an Aside, you really should play Hoards of the Underdark. It was by far the best of the "Official" content for NWN1 (subjectively speaking).

And as @jjstraka34 indicates, there is a Baldur's Gate 1 mod for NWN2. There is also a persistent world based on the locations from Baldur's gate called Sword Coast Chronicles. It's actually quite well done and there's a lot of fun to be had there. Finally, if you are an old style Greyhawk fan, several of the classic modules have been lovingly converted including White Plume Mountain (one of my personal favorites).

NWN2 has a lot to offer. SCL would do well to learn from it's successes rather than focusing on what didn't work. Here's hoping.
    mlneveseVallmyrjackjackWandering_Minstrel
    edited April 2015

Vallmyr said:

I hope this as well, although I suspect we will both be disappointed. Not gonna judge until the finished product, but based on the stuff we've seen thus far I suspect that the game developers are more focused on a kind of mini MMO style game with some slap-dash tools to make it look modable.

As an Aside, you really should play Hoards of the Underdark. It was by far the best of the "Official" content for NWN1 (subjectively speaking).

And as @jjstraka34 indicates, there is a Baldur's Gate 1 mod for NWN2. There is also a persistent world based on the locations from Baldur's gate called Sword Coast Chronicles. It's actually quite well done and there's a lot of fun to be had there. Finally, if you are an old style Greyhawk fan, several of the classic modules have been lovingly converted including White Plume Mountain (one of my personal favorites).

NWN2 has a lot to offer. SCL would do well to learn from it's successes rather than focusing on what didn't work. Here's hoping.
    What I hope happens is Blizzard's Warcraft/Starcraft style. Release the game and the toolset used to create it. In the normal launcher allow "standard" and "custom" options for finding groups/DMs. Standard would be the normal balanced multiplayer style. Used for quick dungeon runs and such. In the custom tab DMs would have full control to edit maps beforehand and upload their own campaigns/dungeons/NPCs/creatures/whatever.

This way they can be happy with their standard balanced stuff and we can be happy with crazy custom campaigns/stories!

Edit: Can't remember what thread I said this in so I might be repeating myself but while I am a rules lawyer I love homebrew and believe any game that is wishing to capture the D&D feel needs to have the option to mod it in order to capture the idea that D&D is a template that you use you create your game. Alter, rules, classes, items, races, anything. Customize it to fit you and your players. The story matters more than the rules. Alter the rules to fit your story. At least that is my view. I may be totally wrong XD
    FinneousPJ
    In that, we are aligned. I hope that there is a mode where the DM can make/do/tell whatever story they want for the players without restriction.

At the moment, that is less than clear if it will end up that way, but we can always hope.
    VallmyrFinneousPJ
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    N-Space published profiles for two of the companions in the game.

Companion Bio: Illydia Maethellyn

A moon-elf cleric of Sehanine Moonbow, Illydia has seen more pain and loss in her 140 years than even most elves see in a lifetime, but her faith in Sehanine Moonbow (a goddess of the moon and dreams) keeps her mind centered and her heart hopeful. With her ever-loyal friend and bodyguard Larethar by her side, she uses her talents with a bow and her goddess’ blessings to make up for her own past mistakes.

https://swordcoast.com/content/companion-bio-illydia-maethellyn

Companion Bio: Larethar Gulgrin

A gold dwarf rogue rarely gets the honor of traveling with one such as Illydia Maethellyn, and Larethar will never take that honor for granted. A Luskan resident with a penchant for drink and debauchery, Larethar rarely goes without a snide word or a sharp insult… except when it comes to Illydia. Without her, Larethar is a cutpurse, a brawler, and an occasional second-story-man. With her, however, he gets to be a hero—a snide, wisecracking, and somewhat greedy hero, but a hero, nonetheless.

https://swordcoast.com/content/companion-bio-larethar-gulgrin
    jackjackFinneousPJNaten
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Seeing the bio, I instantly like Larethar. :smiley:
    JuliusBorisovFinneousPJjackjack
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I somehow didn't even know about this game til the last few weeks, much less that it was coming out relatively soon. I don't care about the Dungeon Master or multi-player, but I'm super-psyched for a real-time pause isometric based on 5th Edition with a robust single player campaign. Went right on my Steam wishlist.
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovFinneousPJ
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited April 2015
    Gamecrate has a new video interview with Director Dan Dudge of N-Space who gave them more details about his upcoming Dungeons & Dragons game Sword Coast Legends.

Gamereactor also published a new preview/interview video for Sword Coast Legends with Dan Tudge who talks about a few various topics on the site. http://www.gamereactor.eu/previews/303364/Sword+Coast+Legends/

The official site now shares profiles for two more companions that will join your party in the game.

Soronil Noonshadow

Luskan is a place where reputation means more than honor, and information sells better than ale… and thus, it’s the perfect place for Soronil Noonshadow. A moon elf diviner with a taste for mysteries, Soronil is a storehouse of information, both fact and rumor, and he’s willing to share it with anyone willing to pay his price. As such, he is a valuable source for those who, like Illydia and Larethar, seek ways to make up for past mistakes. While he’s open to sharing information to those willing to pay—or to work—for it, his own past is a bit of a mystery… as is his ability to remain alive in Luskan, given the enemies that a man in his line of work tends to make.

https://swordcoast.com/content/companion-bio-soronil-noonshadow

Hommet Shaw

It takes a lot for a young wizard to be exiled from Longsaddle, the home of the famously eccentric Harpell wizards, but Hommet Shaw managed to pull it off. He’s a very talented wizard, but his attention to detail leaves something to be desired… to say the least. He’s young, and eager, and desperate to prove himself, but, well, necromancy isn’t the most widely accepted magical specialty, and it’s hard to find a mentor who won’t go all “Dine upon the fearsome hatred of the DEAD!” on you. When he sees a chance to accompany the heroes into battle, he takes it as a chance to prove himself… and make some friends in the bargain.

https://swordcoast.com/content/companion-bio-hommet-shaw
    FinneousPJMusignymlnevese
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    So it seems per that interview there will be a "quick-fire" DM mode as well as in-depth tools.
    JuliusBorisovYannirMusigny
    @FinneousPJ - Yes, that's more or less what we have been seeing all along. The real question is going to be if the DM's have unlimited access when playing the in-depth tools or if they are still handicapped by the 'Threat' mechanism. That to my mind is less than clear.
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisov
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'm kind of interested whenever a DM will be able to host a game for himself and play the "single player" game as an monster character (an omnipotent ooze, yay!), or if they are also limited to the boring 5 standard races.
    jackjackFinneousPJJuliusBorisov
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595

I'm kind of interested whenever a DM will be able to host a game for himself and play the "single player" game as an monster character (an omnipotent ooze, yay!), or if they are also limited to the boring 5 standard races.

There was one video where the DM took direct control over the End Boss, the Ashen Priest. Essentially playing as the boss. Is that what you mean? Essentially, the DM can take direct control over any foe that comes across the paths of adventurers. I'm sure there are all manners of fun tools to play around with there.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Want I meant was the possibility of the DM to play as an monster adventurer throughout the single player campaign. Basically being an solo player that can utilize DM Tools. Or something along those lines.
    I think I get what you are asking, but as "DM", I don't think it will play out the way you think. I wouldn't suspect that you could turn on the auto-agro on such that it would attack another monster on site. Plus, the DM probably doesn't have the Fog of War to contend with. This is all pure speculation on my part, but I would be surprised if it was wrong.

Maybe someone will come out with a MOD (assuming the game is at all Modable) to allow a player to play as a monster race.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    That wouldn't make sense. If you wanted that, I'm sure @the_spyder's mod idea is viable.
    A new companion has been announced.

A halfling? check!

A female ranger? check!

A halfling female ranger? Joy!

Also, Sword Coast Legends will feature Drizzt Do’Urden.

"Sword Coast Legends brings in Drizzt after launch. Its story already brings players to the Underdark, and according to a Wizards of the Coast spokesperson, the drow joins in as the campaign “continues well after launch.”

This is due to the release of Rage of Demon (the latest D&D story arc) later this year.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/06/rage-of-demons-brings-dds-biggest-hero-to-sword-coast-legends-and-neverwinter/
    FinneousPJkcwise
    btw, what's with shorty rangers as of late? First Sagani now Bryn. Don't get me wrong I love it but it's odd that they're both rangers XD
    [Deleted User]FinneousPJ
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    mlneveseVallmyrFinneousPJ
    Ohhhhh I want that!
    I had a Gnome Bone Knight (Eberron campaign) riding an undead dog monstrosity. Milly Vex was her name. Because Bone Knights don't require an alignment shift and all their abilities lack the evil descriptor I went as a Lawful Good Paladin/Bone Knight. It was glorious!
    YannirFinneousPJmlnevese
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Vallmyr Your questions about necromancy make a lot more sense now. :)
    FinneousPJthe_spydermlneveseprocco
    I like they apparently like halflings who look like instantaneous "like".

A new companion: Belamy Lightfingers

FinneousPJ[Deleted User]the_spyder
    Doesn't he look a bit like Tyrion Lannister?
    MusignyJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    That's exactly what I thought!
    FardragonAedan
  • DauntDaunt Member Posts: 52
    This game looks awesome, wow! Can't wait for release.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    A new companion has been announced - and guess what? IT'S A DERRO!!!

Izhkin, Lord of the Dark
    Children cry and animals wail in the presence of Izhkin, Lord of the Dark. The greatest mind of his generation, Izhkin towers over the intellectual, physical, and mystical simpletons with which he is forced to share this world. In order to move secretly among the rabble, he masquerades as a lowly thief and assassin, but one should rest assured that he is, indeed, the Lord of the Dark. While other derro are known for being cruel, insane, and evil, Izhkin simply wishes to rule his realm with benevolence, regardless of whose spleen he has to rip out and give to Golgamann, his assistant, who only seems to talk to Izhkin himself. Also, the author of this bio certainly is not doing so at the point of an envenomed dagger, so you know all of this is true.

Izhkin is as adept with his blades as he is good-looking… possibly even moreso. His contacts in the black markets of the Underdark allow him to procure goods no one else would touch, and you could hardly find a better guide through the caves, chasms, and caverns of the Underdark… as long as you’re not overly stuck on being able to trust—or even comprehend, for that matter—your guide.

(https://forums.sword...mpanion-izhkin/)
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited May 2015
    I really like the selection of classes and characters. Finally, someone gives some space to races that have been disregarded for long.
    Post edited by Aedan on
    JuliusBorisovFinneousPJmlnevese[Deleted User]