Skip to content

Sword Coast Legends. Is this the spiritual successor to NWN?

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I just want an extraplanar NPC now, like a gith psion.
    JuliusBorisov
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

I just want an extraplanar NPC now, like a gith psion.

Meh, gith have already been done twice.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    How about an astral ferret?
    Musigny
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Nimran said:

How about an astral ferret?

Throwing cookie shurikens ?
    [Deleted User]Nimran
    Oh yeah!
    MusignyJuliusBorisovthe_spyder
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited May 2015
    RPGWatch interview to Tim Schwalk:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=321
    mlneveseMusignyJuliusBorisovFinneousPJ
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    "< the single-player campaign > is not short < > While SCL provides a lengthy primary path through the campaign, there will also be multitudes of side quests and content to keep players busy for quite some time. There are also dialogue choices you'll make along the way that impact the story."

Great to hear!

"Regardless of game mode, pausing is only available with a single player controlling the party. Once additional players have joined, we're currently disabling the pause feature. We are considering allowing a group to unanimously pause in multiplayer if that's what players would like."

Of course we would.
    FinneousPJmlnevese
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I think I've reached that point where I am going to stop reading about the game till it comes out and gets officially reviewed. There's way too much speculation going on and not enough information to make an objective assessment other than it looks pretty, at least not in my view.

I hope it is good. I guess we will see.
    Musigny
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    I'm extremely sad that no one plans a port of this for mobile. I would love to play something like this, but my laptop is a steaming pile of poo. :(
    the_spyder
    looking at the graphics, I doubt a mobile would have the power or the RAM for this.
    elminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2015
    Some screenshots in case anyone missed them.

Post edited by elminster on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @elminster Your screenshots are not loading for me...
    JuliusBorisov
    GRRRR...must be a vanilla problem. I'll just post the freaking link to the article in question.

http://worthplaying.com/article/2015/5/28/news/96079/
    FinneousPJmlneveseJuliusBorisov
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    This will be my first Graphics card upgrade since 2009. I did not feel the need for all those years, NWN2 plays well, and there where no games worth an upgrade.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Thank you for the screenshots!

[spoiler]
    elminster said:

GRRRR...must be a vanilla problem.

Actually, it is not.

You've typed < img src="http://worthplaying.com/wpimages/s/w/swordcoastlegends/388421.jpg" > while it has to be / > at the end

[/spoiler]

IGN has confirmed with the publisher that the SXL will be in some form at E3, but not necessarily playable.

http://m.ign.com/wikis/e3/Games_at_E3_2015
    edited June 2015
    bengoshi said:

Actually, it is not.

You've typed < img src="http://worthplaying.com/wpimages/s/w/swordcoastlegends/388421.jpg" > while it has to be / > at the end

Actually, no.

< img src="full link to your image" >

(without the spacing) is what we've been using here since the dawn of time. In fact all of the screenshots appeared when I posted it and in addition adding "/" doesn't work either. :)
    Post edited by elminster on
    JuliusBorisov
    I see (the links are broken indeed). Although when you attach a file and paste it into your post, the phrase shown in the post inludes / > at the end.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    There is a simple explanation...

JuliusBorisovFinneousPJelminster
    bengoshi said:

I see (the links are broken indeed). Although when you attach a file and paste it into your post, the phrase shown in the post inludes / > at the end.

That is different I assume since its a picture being stored on Beamdog's servers. I didn't really want to download and reload a bunch of screenshots when the links should just work. Especially since the links are all very similar so it was easy to post them. :)
    JuliusBorisov
    "With early iterations on multiplayer and DM play we realized quite quickly that resting to recover spells just wasn’t going to appeal to a broad group of players. As a result we implemented spell cooldowns and balanced those to maintain the spirt of resting which is really tactically managing your spell usage."

"There will be sub-races in SCL, but we’re not talking about sub-classes right now."

"Your player stats such as their strength level or charisma level can unlock new/different dialogue choices. Like tabletop D&D, player attribute stats are for more than just combat."

"Inventory is limited by weight, your total weight is driven by your strength."

"DM Threat is our way of creating balance within Sword Coast Legends. All tabletop D&D encounters have recommended encounter parameters based on the number of players, their gear, and their levels. If a tabletop DM decides to ignore the details of his/her party, it can lead to either incredibly easy or incredibly deadly encounters. Threat is our way for DMs to monitor the status of players and adjust the difficulty of those encounters on the fly. Under the hood we also do things like control spawn distance and limit threat spend on per area basis that help balance the experience. We’ve gone to great lengths to ensure that we maintain the spirit of cooperative, challenging D&D play."

"In story campaign you play with 4 players. You will create your main character, and be joined by 3 players made up of real world friends (with their own custom created characters) or companions you have met in game."

"Why did we communicate on the game ust a few month before its’ release? We decided that showing the game off in a more completed state was in everyone’s best interest. For the team it allowed them to stay focused on building a great RPG, for the players it was great coming out of the gate with a fully playable build and the knowledge that they would have to wait years to get their hands on it"

The rest of the interview can be found here: http://www.dagonslair.com/dossiers/sword-coast-legends-interview-dan-tudge/
    "With early iterations on multiplayer and DM play we realized quite quickly that resting to recover spells just wasn’t going to appeal to a broad group of players. As a result we implemented spell cooldowns and balanced those to maintain the spirt of resting which is really tactically managing your spell usage."

Kind of disappointing. But we'll see what they do with it I guess.
    Vallmyrthe_spyder
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    elminster said:

Kind of disappointing. But we'll see what they do with it I guess.

Yeah I agree it's super lame :(

I always liked D&D casting in that it made each spell matter and count as opposed to throw-away spam spells.
    For me resting has been something that has been one of the consistently unique things about d&d games compared to other RPG's. The Baldur's Gate series (I assume BG:DA and BG:DA 2 had it), Icewind Dale series, Neverwinter/Nevewinter 2, etc all had it.
    JuliusBorisov
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    elminster said:

For me resting has been something that has been one of the consistently unique things about d&d games compared to other RPG's. The Baldur's Gate series (I assume BG:DA and BG:DA 2 had it), Icewind Dale series, Neverwinter/Nevewinter 2, etc all had it.

They could always do NWN style and have you rest for like 20 seconds, during this time the DM could prepare an ambush, interrupt the party resting, and other such things.
    I'm not to bothered about "on rest" spells. The lack of classes seems to be a bigger drawback. There appears to be just six, with no subclasses or multiclassing.

Virtual D20 is awesome though!
    Vallmyr
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    bengoshi said:

"DM Threat is our way of creating balance within Sword Coast Legends. All tabletop D&D encounters have recommended encounter parameters based on the number of players, their gear, and their levels. If a tabletop DM decides to ignore the details of his/her party, it can lead to either incredibly easy or incredibly deadly encounters. Threat is our way for DMs to monitor the status of players and adjust the difficulty of those encounters on the fly. Under the hood we also do things like control spawn distance and limit threat spend on per area basis that help balance the experience. We’ve gone to great lengths to ensure that we maintain the spirit of cooperative, challenging D&D play."

These two blocks worry me quite a bit. I'm not saying 'Game killer' here, but it really sounds like it is designed more for random DM's to play with random players. If you know (and presumably trust) your DM, these kinds of restrictions aren't necessary. What's more, if you have a DM over time, the organic nature of the play will create this without the need to 'Rule' it with mechanics.

And I've never been a big fan of 'Powers' over spells in a game like this. Might be personal on my part though.
    JuliusBorisov
    SCL will be released simultaneously on 3 major platforms:

"We're very happy to announce that Sword Coast Legends™ will be released simultaneously on Steam for Windows PC, Mac and Linux operating systems in Q3 2015.

“For far too long, passionate and dedicated Mac and Linux RPG gamers have been left out in the cold, forced to watch from the sidelines as the industry focused efforts on just a select few platforms. That ends today,” said Dan Tudge, President of n-Space and Director for Sword Coast Legends. “With Sword Coast Legends, we are dedicated to delivering exactly the sort of classic, D&D, RPG gaming experience fans on every platform have been clamoring for. More importantly, we’re committed to providing the community with the largest possible pool of adventurers and prospective Dungeon Masters by ensuring that all gamers can play together regardless of which operating system they use.”
    Sword Coast Legends fully supports cross platform network play on any mix of Windows, Mac and Linux machines. As further proof of the team’s shared commitment to gamers on all desktop platforms, each Sword Coast Legends Steam key can be redeemed for the player’s platform of choice.

When Sword Coast Legends releases later this year, it will introduce an entirely new way to play Dungeons & Dragons with Dungeon Master Mode and its introduction of real-time, active and reactive Dungeon Mastering. While Dungeon Master Mode is a truly innovative RPG “game changer,” Sword Coast Legends will also feature a massive single player campaign and complex storyline, deep character customization, engrossing party-based gameplay and NPC interactions, an epic orchestral soundtrack, high-quality professional voice-over production, and much, much more."

https://swordcoast.com/content/sword-coast-legends™-coming-mac-and-linux

New video: Sword Coast Legends Live - World Building

MusignyFinneousPJ
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Sounds great.
    JuliusBorisov