Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    edited September 2015
    bengoshi said:

After Yahiko, my solo druid, met his end in the final battle of ToB, I decide to start a group run, which @Blackraven and @CharlestonianTemplar would call 'Completionist No Reload', with a new character.

It is so nice to see this kind of group run @bengoshi ! I am certainly going to follow this one!
    Good luck!

@Blackraven I am really glad you liked the intro of Norkul's run!
    I see your point regarding under leveled mages, the approach to get the wand of summoning is really nice and will definitely help a lot the young mage.
    But I am not going to do him this favor :smile: because I don't like the idea of a mage being accompanied by hordes of monsters, it ruins my game and fun (maybe only if he is a conjurer, but even so I may have done it a couple of times just for the fun).
    I actually meta-gamed only at start, as you will soon see at the next part. Now I actually non meta-game at all, this way I get a lot into the character, I pay more attention, I learn a lot and the game becomes different every time I restart a failed run, even if I use the same class.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Good progress here, @Mirage ! It seems you're really enjoying Norkul's run. Long may it continue!

BTW, Norkul has already shown himself quite lucky - a giant spider with the SCS can Web your character and then finish him in seconds.

Be careful with sirens and relying on the Sleep spell: according to this thread, https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43897/are-sirens-immune-to-sleep-or-just-some-of-the-time-spoilers, not all sirens can fall under its effect.
    edited September 2015
    Thanks a lot @bengoshi !
    Indeed I enjoy the run a lot and I want to make as many quests as I can. Norkul is supposed to conquer the sword coast and Baldur's gate, he is not just a guy who will avoid tough enemies and go and murder sneakily Sarevok like a chicken!! :smile: This is also the first time I post a run, which is another tricky business I guess!
    I got really into RP and I try to show the way I play. I understand that this is just BG1 and it is simple...
    But I found out that if you want to be a good player in this game you have to know the basics, which is what I consider BG1 to be.

Thanks a lot for the advise, the thing is that "Improved spiders" is an SCS option that I didn't install in this run.The idea of spiders casting spells is not appealing to me, ofc it is perfectly ok gameplaying wise. The other option I didn't install is the "Improved demon cultists". I had a really hard time beating these guys with a full party, which makes me believe I am not a good player. In a solo no-reload run it would be a suicide for me to face them, so this way I may just try it.

ps. I edited yesterday my first post to include the weidu.log, in case anyone is interested
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Great stuff @Mirage and @bengoshi, such a treat having your two roleplayed runs here. I'm glad your wizard is well underway Mirage. It's nice that with a few levels under his belt, you have a wider range of options.

Bengoshi, Cleric/Illusionist :) Lots of fun!
    I wonder whether a full SCS v30 install plus insane difficulty plus random HPs are ideal ingredients for a roleplayed, non-metagamed playthrough, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see... Either way, best of luck! (Btw I think SCS already maximizes enemy HPs, the BG2Tweaks component shouldn't be necessary for that.)
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    @Mirage I saw the ferret in the title and had to stop by. Thumbs up!
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited September 2015
    Wow @semiticgod I love creating some custom spells, items and enemies too, but you really remake the game each time you have one of those swell ideas. Much interesting!
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Mirage said:

By the way, I think that Norkul would like to pay the red wizards of Thay a visit in the future. I sense that a girl named "Neera" is in trouble. Do you think that recruiting-her-to-trigger-her-quest-and-kick-her-out-of-the-party-before-any-fight would break the solo no-reload rules?

Well, no one requires the no-reloads to be solo only. So, you're welcome to mix and match as you wish.

Nice going with Norkul so far.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Mirage Don't worry, your entries are very fun and it's always a pleasure to read them. I'm more than satisfied after reading your posts. Norkul is still very lucky to be able to survive against Mulahey in that situation. Also, it's up to you on whether you include Neera in your party or not. In my RP run, I can't find a way to imagine how Aedahn kicks someone from his party only to have a look on Neera's items and maybe take one or two of them. Maybe it's because Aedahn is a good guy - I perfectly see an evil character doing it, for example.

@semiticgod Nice to see Edwin and thus watch differences in your use of two different spellcasters - Jan and Edwin. Also, an interesting take on the Silence 10' Radius spell.
    @Mirage and @semiticgod - what an unfortunate coincidence! This is not what I expected to see while looking at this thread getting 2 new entries...

I can't answer about the possibility of using the Phase Spider kit in the EE. You'd better consult anyone with knowledge, maybe @subtledoctor can help here.

@Mirage ... ... it's hard to take but it often happens when you as a player get an overconfidence. I'm flattered about your words of the Tale of the Totemic Druid. I would very much like to read about the Avenger druid. It'll be a strange feeling a bit, only reading about a druid solo and not trying it myself;) A strange but very exciting.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Hi folks. I don't have much time for foruming or playing, just checking out what's up in the no-reload forum. Commiserations to @semiticgod and @Mirage.
    Semiticgod, for futre reference, I think you can kill the Shadow Alter quite easily with Sunstone bullets (one hit is normally enough to kill it). Mirage I'm a big fan of the Cleric/Thief multiclass but I agree with bengoshi that an Avenger would be cool too.

@bensoghi, nice progress there, keep it up!
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    edited September 2015
    A question:

Rasaad's quest just filled me with a whole bunch of overpowered items. (See repost below.)
    [a Mirror Image ring; a "Beholder" Helmet with 9 CC charges PER DAY; a True Seeing gem etc.]

Should I just drop them? Because I feel that they break the balance.

I'm really pissed at the EE content balance at this point and not sure if continuing with its rewards is grounds to abandon a noreload run. Or at least requiring the abandoning of the items.

[Rasaad Quest qualms follow]

Just finished Rasaad's quest and even without bugs I find it abysmal compared to the rest of SoA writing & quests.

Here are some issues:
    (None are bugs!)

0. Rasaad voice -- acting is fine, but there is a sound engineering problem that makes him sound like a tin kettle

1. Bad writing -- dialog choices break suspension of disbelief and nowhere nearly as witty as the writer may have imagined himself to be

2. No challenge -- it's a cake walk; a well played party has no challenge to face here; even the last fight has nothing to offer (and no rewards for the fight; see the next item)

3. disproportionate rewards -- I talk a bunch of hooey to four people at the temple and get four powerful items, not to mention some other easy to collect items earlier?! This is like some terrible pay-to-win DLC then?! Some of those items are far too awesome to collect so easily this early in the game (a Mirror Image ring; a "Beholder" Helmet with 9 CC charges PER DAY; a True Seeing gem -- easily TOB grade items, obtained with no challenge). And then the last fight gives you almost nothing.

4. Terrible resolution -- Rasaad just leaves?! I have no chance to negotiate?! No resolution or continuation to the romance even though I haven't even talked to the Shadow Thieves yet?! Is this a joke?! (I don't care if there is a dialog tree that could have led to another resolution; the writing is very opaque and weird; and I don't reload.)

In a way I am relieved that I no longer need to put up with Rasaad and can continue with the original BG2 NPCs.

This, combined with the terrible quest design of Neera (there is not even a Wild Magic zone; and again no challenge) and the abysmal writing of Hexxat that I had seen in some earlier playtroughs gives me very little faith in Beamdog's ability to pull off a well-written RPG by themselves.

I will buy Dragonspear only if many people I respect on this board try it first and vouch for me to have been wrong on this point.

edited September 2015
    Ygramul said:

Rasaad's quest just filled me with a whole bunch of overpowered items.
    Should I just drop them? Because I feel that they break the balance.

Actually this is the only thing that concerned me with the upcoming SOD. The developers stated that hundreds of new items will appear in the game. It seems to me it will break the balance, especially for solo no reloaders... I hope I am wrong