Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity MEGATHREAD (caution: SPOILERS)

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,458
    One thing I'm still caught in surprise about is that the Chanter is the most necromantically flavorful class. Like Wizards have death and necrotic spells and Priests have Berath as a patron deity but the chanter has all the cool life-draining, undead summoning, spirit magic.

Man.
    Makes me want to do another run of PoE but I need to finish my documented run of BG:EE before Adventure Y comes out.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I found the chanter to be pretty versatile. You could make your chanter a fighter with passive buffs or debuffs, for instance, as well as a mage type back line character.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Expansion getting announced this month at e3 I believe. I wouldn't expect it til next year.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Vallmyr said:

btw, I was looking on the PoE forums and noticed the community seemed way more negative D:
    I'm glad this is my go-to place for forum stuffs n_n

Yes, I was just thinking that myself. It's not just the PoE forum, it's the whole Obsidian forums that seem to be infused with negativity. People here seem to be much more upbeat.

Maybe it's the colour sceme? Orange vs dark blue and grey.
    I have a lore question someone might be able to help me with. How does divine magic work RP-wise? Do you just pray and the spell happens? I read somewhere that Berath hates undead but I wanted to make a Necromancer based on a Berath priest when the expansion comes out. Hopefully with the cross-class talents I can get summon skeletons on my priest. Anyway, if I did that sort of thing would Berath RP-wise cut me off? I at first assumed he would but then you have Durance who despises his deity and still gains divine magic. Do they not care as long as you pray to them?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited June 2015
    Clerics aren't given spells by thier dieties in PoE, for plot reasons. Cleric spells are basically the same as wizard and druid spells, powered by the caster.

Necromancy is part of animancy in PoE. In order to animate a corpse you need to attach a soul to it. That's not a path the PC can pursue. Maybe in the sequel.

Berath has multiple aspects, and at least one powerful undead follower, but he couldn't cut you off if he wanted too.
    Ahhh ok, thank you. I have to say that PoE's world is definitely one of my favorites.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Cluas said:

Need more ... wilderness ...

Expansion please come soon ...

This a thousand times this!

Also there better be new NPC's in the expansions. If they add just one, I'm gonna be super bummed.
    Anybody wishing for some romance in PoE?

Grieving Mother is super foxy. Wow that sentence looks so wrong :neutral:

Anybody wishing for some romance in PoE?

Grieving Mother is super foxy. Wow that sentence looks so wrong :neutral:

It's less about that I want romances (though I do enjoy them) and more I want the option the hit on Sagani and have her shoot me down because she's married. I think I said this before but my favorite thing about DA:Inquisition is my male elfy elf Mage could flirt with Sera and she'd decline me every time. It was wonderful.

It's like in BG I want my elf to flirt with Viconia and her to call me a filthy surface dweller. It's not about if the romance succeeds but if I have the option to try. In the opening of PoE I said I came to Dyrwood looking for love. Granted I made an npc that I RPed a romance with but I would love to have flirt options with some of the part members. In Hiravais's case I imagine you'd bang him on first asking XD

Also, now that I've had like a month since I beat the game I adore it. Definitely in my "favorite games of all time" list.

Cluas said:

Need more ... wilderness ...

Expansion please come soon ...

This a thousand times this!

Also there better be new NPC's in the expansions. If they add just one, I'm gonna be super bummed.
    Two new NPCs have been announced, and a third hinted at.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I started a solo run but I really want to do sangani's quests as well as the grieving mother's quest line.
    edited July 2015
    So just jumped back into this, forgot how good this game is. The combat is a bit slow, but path of the damned is one hell of a challenge. Just wish some of the functions that do nothing actually worked, the auto attack script is a big pile of poo, If one of my dudes casts a spell or kills a enemy, he will just sit and idle afterwards.

Really like the manual level up for NPCs they added, no more will Grieving Mother take really stupid abilities and talents early on, no longer will Kana take the absolute worst songs and invocations he could pick.

Also the NPCs all got stat buffs so that's good. Well not buffs some much as points moved around, it kinda hurts the RP factor, but makes the NPCs viable on higher difficulty levels. Grieving Mother, got her PER and INT swapped, so now she is actually kinda good.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    I tested the AI function. It is artificial alright, but not very intelligent :/
    Has anybody killed the Arda dragon post 2.01 on path of the damned without cheesing her? I've been trying but her breath weapon tends to straight up end the fight. It doesn't seem to have a limitation to range, basically if your party is in her line of sight they take damage and the damage is a one shot knockout on everybody besides Eder and the monk.She is also now immune to a bunch of stuff including stun.I killed the dragon hunter for her armour, so the Arda dragon and her minions are hostile.

So far my strat is sneak passed the dragon, cast the big insect plague and the jumping mind control spell on the xaurips and then run passed them, then dropping the priest star fall and running further down the tunnel, turning back to kill the ones that chase you as they come. This also lets you kill most of her druid buddies as they reach you before she does.
    So the fight is basically just my party vs the dragon and a single druid thing and I still can't win.

I have been toying with the idea of summoning minions to block her path and hopefully get her to use her breath weapon, but this strategy only works if the breath weapon has charges and is not just on a cooldown with unlimited uses. Does anybody know if the breath weapon has charges and if so how many? Also considering respecing everybody and giving them some mechanics so they can each place a trap. Trap question, can multiple traps still be placed by different party members? Also are traps worth the cost of everybody having points in mechanics?
    So I got the Gesen's bow in PoE it's called the StormCaller, but it's a short bow that shoots lighting, so I can't help but think of it as the Gesen's Bow. It has a few other decent abilities, all in all it's a pretty cool weapon and because it's soulbound the progressive growth of the weapon is a nice added bonus. I kind of want to build a character around this weapon, like a Fishman ranger and I totally would if ranger weren't so godsdamned awful.
    Oh I respec'd everybody now the entire party has a minimum of 6 in mechanics and it was well worth it. Having six traps placed before a really hard fight can easily turn the tide of battle if you can get the right target to trigger the right trap.

On other skills it still seems like everybody needs a base of 5 athletics, to be able to never really get fatigued from fighting.

One toon needs high mechnics for dealing with traps, finding hidden stuff and unlocking all the chests.

One toon needs high stealth for robbing every chest in the game. Funny thing is unlocking a chest in plain sight of people means nothing to them, but stealing makes them hostile or lowers your rep.
    Oh I also like to have casters take some points in stealth, starting a battle by hurling spells at your enemy is way too much fun.

and Finally 2 to 3 toons need lore, revive scrolls are awesome and so is the maelstrom spell :smiley:

Survival is kind of pointless outside of dialogue, most fights only last 15 to 45 seconds so upping potion time does nothing for like 90% of the game. Only really helpful in very big important battles, but then every other skill is still more useful.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

For anyone who may be interested, I happened to come across this video which gives some tips on how to play as a barbarian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUcc7zpd7gY

What caught my attention is how intelligence can actually be very useful for a barbarian, as explained at the start of this vid.

• MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027

Has anybody killed the Arda dragon post 2.01 on path of the damned without cheesing her? I've been trying but her breath weapon tends to straight up end the fight. It doesn't seem to have a limitation to range, basically if your party is in her line of sight they take damage and the damage is a one shot knockout on everybody besides Eder and the monk.She is also now immune to a bunch of stuff including stun.I killed the dragon hunter for her armour, so the Arda dragon and her minions are hostile.

So far my strat is sneak passed the dragon, cast the big insect plague and the jumping mind control spell on the xaurips and then run passed them, then dropping the priest star fall and running further down the tunnel, turning back to kill the ones that chase you as they come. This also lets you kill most of her druid buddies as they reach you before she does.
    So the fight is basically just my party vs the dragon and a single druid thing and I still can't win.

I have been toying with the idea of summoning minions to block her path and hopefully get her to use her breath weapon, but this strategy only works if the breath weapon has charges and is not just on a cooldown with unlimited uses. Does anybody know if the breath weapon has charges and if so how many? Also considering respecing everybody and giving them some mechanics so they can each place a trap. Trap question, can multiple traps still be placed by different party members? Also are traps worth the cost of everybody having points in mechanics?

Traps are not mandatory and I don't think this is the best way to deal with this dragon.
    Reflex is still its weakest defense.
    However that's not what I used the last time I faced this dragon. I attacked its will but more importantly once I got the rogue's deathblow active, it collapsed very quickly with physical attacks (deflection) - the last two hits were "graze" 80 damage points and "hit" more than 100. The rogue used the scale breaker as the opening action which probably helps the other attacks but I don't think it is really required.
    I am not sure but I think the only changes in 2.0 are its elemental resistances.
    edited March 2016
    A little (temporary) spreadsheet made with LibreOffice Calc.
    It can help see the various modifications coming from the race/class/culture/background.
    Sub races are not taken into account but they do not alter those basic stats.
    You can modify all the blue font cells. The 5 skills are also taken into account.
    A warning : I hate these spreadsheets and they hate me. The dropdown list of the background cell is regenerated based on your culture choice but if you select a new culture without reselecting a new background, you may create an illegal charname. I do not know how to force such an update.
    The sheet/cells are protected but there is no password - in case you want to play with it.
    Post edited by Musigny on
    Has anyone played the Crägholdt quest?
    If so, what's the difficulty of the overall area compared with the first map?
    My next step is Baelorin and seeing the number of soldiers around him (PotD), I guess that is going to be a tough fight.
    edited September 2015
    @Musigny the siege of Cragholdt is a hell of a lot harder than the White March areas. Will go so far as saying that you should probably be at least lvl 12 before tackling it. I struggled at 12 to be honest, had to come back at 14.

Wait I read your post wrong, sorry.

The difficulty stays the pretty much the same, if you can do the camp area, you should be able to smack down the merc boss and his cronies. The next area is a little easier on the whole I felt, besides one battle.
    @SmilingSword
    Thanks for the advice.
    In this playthrough I have covered everything in the base game, burial island and sun in shadows excluded.
    At first I was not interested in playing and discovering the extension in a PotD game but ultimately I decided to give Crägholdt a try. I haven't played the White March yet and btw I have tried to avoid any spoilers so far.
    I was surprised, even at level 14. Obviously Obsidian decided to crank up the difficulty. Not only the guys but also the trap/lock checks, lvl 14/15 in mechanics !
    Ahhh ! the berserker jumps, totally megalomaniac. I also discovered that "clear out" is pretty effective ...against me :blush:
    I play with a Rogue, Aloth, Eder, Durance, Hiravias, Grieving Mother. In this first area, Aloth and Grieving Mother were the most effective. I will go back to the game during the weekend.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    With Eder I think he found the cause is more important than the actual deity so if he needs to use the deity's name to spread his belief then so be it. It didn't matter if the Gods were real, dead or alive. The meaning behind them and what they stood for is what matters.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455

I passed the game a while back and hadn't really thought about it again until recently.

What did you all think of the main plot and ending?

In terms of writing, there seem to be gaps where either they left things out accidentally or on purpose (to make us read between the lines?). After passing the game, I spent an evening reading up on what people thought the plot was, because I wasn't entirely sure. I _think_ the ancient people realised there weren't any gods, so they created them -- sacrificed themselves apparently to do so? Therefore, the gods are... artificial constructs made from the many souls of the ancient people?

@typo_tilly Yes, I believe that is true.

But what really doesn't make sense to me is that your party is told these gods are false gods. They react appalled at the idea. Then after you kill the end boss, some of your party talk as if the gods are alive, real, and not false... like nothing ever happened. Hiravias and Eder seemed like that, if I remember right.

I enjoyed the game. Just confused on the plot.

They are false gods in the sense that they are not eternal and all-powerful, but rather constructed by ancient, advanced humans. They are however real in the sense that they exist outside "The Cycle" and are thus beyond mere humans. I believe your choices during the game affect the conclusion, whether this is a good or bad thing. I like it.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    The post of @Vallmyr makes sense, too.