Skip to content

Custom PC & NPC Portraits

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Thanks for the clarification, @Buttercheese. What I meant is that, being myself an artist, is that the majority of active artists appreciate fanart , as long as you give the original author its proper credit. Even the moderators posted that beamdog wants people to do fanart.

I remember that a fan made a tumblr dedicated to Neera with lots of fanart, are they getting sued? I doubt it, even though showing it on the web may be considered distribution.

I repeat that giving proper credit is the ethical thing to do, but reinterpretating someone's work because you are a fan is different from making money illegaly.

• KrugosKrugos Member Posts: 30

It was indeed sweet to see how an artist supports a user. Thanks for sharing. As for privacy of correspondence, I wish there was one unified approach to this, as not long ago an artist on devianart posted correspondence with one of our users.

Yes, it was nice of him. :)

I removed his message, somehow I just didn't think of it as a private conversation, it was my error, I should have known it's not polite to share other people's messages like that.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @DJKajuru Making your own fanart, and presenting someone else's art is not the same thing.
    ThacoBell said:

@DJKajuru Making your own fanart, and presenting someone else's art is not the same thing.

Indeed, I refered to fanart as an example of how most artists appreciate having their work popularized and reinterpreted .
    Moving on , @artastrophe 's
    Edwin is sexy as hell.

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    DJKajuru said:

ThacoBell said:

Indeed, I refered to fanart as an example of how most artists appreciate having their work popularized and reinterpreted .
    Funny, most artists I know hate it.
    At least when they are not asked for permission first.
    Here is the guide.
    Now, could you please stop?
    edited March 2017
    I have already posted above "movin on" and carried on with the purpose of this topic, which is to share portraits.
    Post edited by DJKajuru on
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Can you sport a pig snout and still be cute? The answer is...
    http://img11.deviantart.net/40d2/i/2012/244/9/d/wip_orc_archer_by_cowsgomoose-d5d93t4.png
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724

DJKajuru said:

ThacoBell said:

Funny, most artists I know hate it.
    At least when they are not asked for permission first.
    Here is the guide.
    Now, could you please stop?
    While we're supporting the copyrights, and supporting artists, the rules of this forum prescribe to be gentle to each other and respect other posters.

It's alright to question and discuss an important issue in a polite and transparent manner.
    DrakeICN said:
    DrakeICN said:

Can you sport a pig snout and still be cute? The answer is...
    http://img11.deviantart.net/40d2/i/2012/244/9/d/wip_orc_archer_by_cowsgomoose-d5d93t4.png

@DrakeICN When you link pictures here, please, credit their artists. The links you have posted don't allow users to understand from where these pictures come and who is their artist.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    edited March 2017
    @JuliusBorisov You could understand where the last one came from. The web address says that it is by cowsgomoose, so he should have given credit there.
    With the sexy orc lady, even google reverse search couldn't find it. :( Speaking personally, that's an image that I would like to un-see.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    If you can't find it, don't post it. Simple as that.

As for "undestanding from the web address", it's not enough as the link just leads to the image on it's own instead of to the page it was posted on.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

text

Wow, I wish that I had known about that alt Neera portrait the last time that I played.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

Wow, I wish that I had known about that alt Neera portrait the last time that I played.

To be perfectly honest I'm still not happy with it as I am bothered every time I look at it by the hair at the far right where it appears to not blend well with the background.

Anyways, yes, Neera portraits have always been a thorn to me, I have looked at tons of portraits and modified half a dozen and never liked them until I saw that Vidaniel portrait. For example, I made Enkida's Tashia portrait (the original) with pink hair, it...didn't work well. Apparently "pink-haired Half Elf mage" is hard to pull off.

In BG1EE I went with a picture from Aerie's Portrait Pack that worked better with the sharper Plasmocat pictures I liked. But then come BG2EE it didn't work as well since I couldn't have 100% Plasmocat portraits and went to this blend of 1/3 Plasmocat, 1/3 Enkida, 1/3 Other, and I went looking once more for alternatives. Until this picture actually, I'd used Plasmocat's Eldoth portrait for Haer'Dalis

I saw the picture and thought "Huh, pink hair, remove the scar, and that'd be pretty nice for Neera."

Super thanks again to the original artist and character owner who gave permission, plus they're BG fans too.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Alt Neera looks too mature to be Neera
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108

Please go check out their blog :heart::heart::heart:

Some quality staff there.
  • NecroscopeNecroscope Member Posts: 38
    These are from my brother. I do not know where he got them from and quite a few are pretty old. It's a big zip. Enjoy or take it down if it breaks rules and stuff.
    The problem with them is that for EE the resolution is a bit poor as is the case with most old portraits. I haven't checked them for ownership just deleted them as they are not good enough resolution IMO.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    There are only S and M versions, not sure why.

Some of them I do like, but agree with @Wise_Grimwald that the resolution of many are somewhat lacking.
    edited June 2017
    Aerakar said:

There are only S and M versions, not sure why.

Some of them I do like, but agree with @Wise_Grimwald that the resolution of many are somewhat lacking.

I don't understand why it is, but portraits like that seemed to be fine for Vanilla BG and Tutu, seem blurred with EE. This is true of a lot of the old portraits.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on