Skip to content

That One Enemy...

Who is it? That one enemy type who makes you want to grind your teeth in frustration?

For me, it'd beholders. I like playing CHARNAME as an Abjurer, and having all that fancy defensive magic rendered basically useless is annoying as crap. I'm basically forced into marching one guy armed with Balduran's Shield forward and winning instantly, or else rushing them and praying to the RNG that someone gets through the Save or Die's to mulch them.

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I absolutely agree with your assessment of beholders, and therefore I hate them. They're dangerous, but utterly uninteresting, and all the good ways to deal with them neuter them entirely. I also feel much the same about demiliches, but the game is polite enough not to include many of them.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Nobody likes Beholders in BG2. Anti-magic Rays, Death Rays, and Flesh to Stone make Beholders an endless frustration to fight.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited June 2015
    SCS vamps for me, beholders I can deal with, flayers no problem, but vamps. They summon wolves and rats, the ancient ones turn into bats and fly away when they are at low health so they can take advantage of that OP natural regen they have and they deal way too much damage or at least level drain way too much.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Those eight bandits forming a ring around you and firing arrows. If you're still level 1 or 2, it's basically an instant reload. :rage:

After that, yeah, Beholders. Either you use the Shield of Cheese Balduran, or it's down to dumb luck whether you win or die.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Beholders, generally. Without cheese tacs they sometimes just get you, when a death/petrification ray hits the wrong target. Plus they tend to come in packs, and they really, really, REALLY hate magic - which of course is the best way to defend yourself in BG2.

SCS vamps for me, beholders I can deal with, flayers no problem, but vamps. They summon wolves and rats, the ancient ones turn into bats and fly away when they are at low health so they can take advantage of that OP natural regen they have and they deal way too much damage or at least level drain way too much.

This however I can definitely get behind also. I am not sure whether they are working as intended (or whether it's a mod interference issue on my end) but I've had things happen like turn into bat, keep attacking while remaining itself un-attackable (or even clickable) and also regenerating like crazy - for MINUTES at a time. With Nightmare Mode HP especially this can quickly turn into a futile effort, as you can never deal enough damage in that 10-second window where they are attackable, meaning you have to resort to things like Mace of Disruption etc. which is a bit too cheesy for my taste...
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827

Beholders, generally. Without cheese tacs they sometimes just get you, when a death/petrification ray hits the wrong target. Plus they tend to come in packs, and they really, really, REALLY hate magic - which of course is the best way to defend yourself in BG2.

This however I can definitely get behind also. I am not sure whether they are working as intended (or whether it's a mod interference issue on my end) but I've had things happen like turn into bat, keep attacking while remaining itself un-attackable (or even clickable) and also regenerating like crazy - for MINUTES at a time. With Nightmare Mode HP especially this can quickly turn into a futile effort, as you can never deal enough damage in that 10-second window where they are attackable, meaning you have to resort to things like Mace of Disruption etc. which is a bit too cheesy for my taste...
    If you have the standard attack script on, your party will attack the vamp in bat form even when they are unclikable. Just move them near the bat. I do believe they do massively reduced damage to bat form vamps though.
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    Kua-Toa. Nearly every time I go through the Underdark I forget about them and how they stun party members. I can still defeat them easily enough but they're a nuisance.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited June 2015
    In BG it's doppelgangers. Not because they are hard, but because they are so incredibly boring. They alter their apperance, wear heavy armor and weapons, then transform, drop eveything and try to scratch you in the face with their puny claws. It's just so underwhelming.
    Back in the day when I was new to the game I always hated (edit: and respected!) ogre mages. For some reason I always had a hard time fighting them and didn't know how to strip them of protections etc.

In BG2 I agree on beholders. I gotta admit I tend to use the SoCheese just to avoid the frustration, since nowadays I play mostly for the RP side of things and not so much for a battle challenge. But I also have a love/hate relationship with Rakshasas, their spell immunities are both annoying and cool at the same time. I've dreamt about playing a rakshasa charname, hehe.. :smile:

In IWD I'm not sure.. I guess the most annoying enemies there are the first enemies immune to non-magical weapons when you have so few of those.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Spirit Trolls in SCS2. They go invisible constantly and force you to pause and re-click them, or else they'll regenerate back to full health while you're not paying attention. It takes one of the simplest actions in the game--attacking with a weapon--and forces you to micromanage it.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    edited June 2015

Spirit Trolls in SCS2. They go invisible constantly and force you to pause and re-click them, or else they'll regenerate back to full health while you're not paying attention. It takes one of the simplest actions in the game--attacking with a weapon--and forces you to micromanage it.

A top contender for sure. Also those imps in WK that are always hasted and keep going invisible, and also have a tendency to NOT ACTUALLY ATTACK meaning you need to constantly dispel their invisibility and try to get hits in during the 1 second or so you can see them, or they'll stick around and annoy you forever.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Ah, yes, thank you, @Lord_Tansheron, for reminding me of my actual most-hated enemy. THOSE IMPS. >:/
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Beholders. Because nothing is as frustrating as your party of adventurers walking bravely forward...then Keldorn turns to stone, Minsc gets stunned and Charname is at half health. At which point you just go "I should have set traps..."
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Skatan said:

In BG2 I agree on beholders.

Probably they are more challenging in IWD:EE, without the aid of the Shield of Balduran. The spectral guards are really tough, too, especially if you play on HOF mode: lots of HP & attacks per round.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    Also, Kobold Commandos. They're mostly fine if you leave Nashkel for a bit, or know how to stack AC against arrows.... But then they can still get crits that take off half or more of your tanks health, and instagib the more fragile party members.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Personally I'm going to go with any enemy that is immune to timestop. What can I say I like my cheese :D

That said I wonder what @KidCarnival thinks about all these thoughts about beholders :)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Hmmm, yeah, those Imps in WK sure are irritating. Probably I'd go along with @Lord_Tansheron and @Jarrakul that they're the ones that get my teeth grinding.

I note what's been said about Beholders, but heck, at least when you run into a Beholder you can win some decent XP.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited June 2015
    In BG1, it was Aec'Letec.

In the old days before Balduran's shield I would usually soften beholders with confusion spells + cloudkill. Send hidden thief to locate them and cast spell slighly out of their sight.

Spellcaster can be the worst, when I don't have the proper counter spells ready. I especially hated liches, until I found out how efficient the mace of disruption is. In my last two full games, Minsc destroyed most of them in a round or two.

In the shade lord temple, when you take the jewel there are some shadows that get spawned. I don't know if it's a bug, but they seem immune to turn undead and they will follow and surround invisible characters (when sighted before becoming invisible). Ironically, yesterday my no-reload shadowdancer was killed by those shadows.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    I don't know know about Aec'Letec. I mean, he's basically the 'real' final boss of BG1. Sure, he's super irritating with plenty of annoying gimmicks, but I'd almost be disappointed if that wasn't the case.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    Yes, now that I know ways to beat him he's not that bad and I actually really like him. I had played BG1 a lot a long time ago without the expension. The first time I got to Aec'Letec it was the biggest challenge I've ever had in a long time and quite frustrating.

In BG1 I hate the knife-throwing skeletons and gibberlings. Not hard, but Just so annoying. I only like them when I finally get a wand of fireballs. When I was less experienced I also hated the black talon elites. Even more so in the old version because they didn't give you scalps like the regular bandits.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,076
    Vampiric mists and vampiric wraiths.

Previously in Baldur's Gate 2 if a spellcaster got level drained then when they got restored they would have to re-memorize their spells, and it was really annoying remembering what spells they had originally, so I just decided to reload if any of my spellcasters got level drained. So, to avoid this I would put my negative plane-protected warriors up front when fighting level-draining enemies, but for some reason the vampiric mists and vampiric wraiths had a habit of turning invisible and moving to attack characters who were outside their vision range (such as spellcasters). It was like the enemies were trolling me.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    elminster said:

Personally I'm going to go with any enemy that is immune to timestop. What can I say I like my cheese :D

That said I wonder what @KidCarnival thinks about all these thoughts about beholders :)

I am deeply offended. (And just bought IWDEE, so don't think y'all can get away with trash talking about people with multiple eyes unseen...)

• CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Maybe I am confessing great n00bness, but to me it's the high-level mages that are so frequent in BG II: You either pellet them with blows and arrows before they put up their magical defences, or manage to successfully use breach and dispel magic and the like - or you're toast.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Humans.
    Barking, smelly monstrousities that lack the green charm of Orcs. Yuck!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Calmar said:

Maybe I am confessing great n00bness, but to me it's the high-level mages that are so frequent in BG II: You either pellet them with blows and arrows before they put up their magical defences, or manage to successfully use breach and dispel magic and the like - or you're toast.

The number of high-level mages in this game is too damn high!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139

How has no one mentioned Mind Flayers? You can cheese Beholders but Mind Flayers still give me nightmares after all these years.

I completely agree! And I'm surprised that there were so many posts before someone mentioned mind flayers. I hate those guys...
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    I think we had this topic before, but anyway.. my vote goes out to Monks using Quivering Palm ^_^ !!