Skip to content

Safe to assume Beamdog hasn't bothered to create new sprites?

The absence of new sprites in the EEs was... unpleasant, to say the least. There's only so much you can do to make a sprite 60 pixels high look decent on modern resolutions--so when Beamdog simply uprezzed the original sprites and slapped some filters on them, we understood. We didn't like, but we understood. (Well, most of us).

BGEE, BG2EE and IWDEE were all, after all, ports.

But Siege of Dragonspear is not a port. It is a new game. And, as far as I can tell, it looks to use the same (poorly) upscaled assets. And given the fact that all of the promotional material for SoD uses fully zoomed-out screenshots--which, since they obscure the one of the key aspects that makes these EE games preferable to the originals, we can safely assume was done solely to obscure the poorly-aged art assets--and none of the interviews or previews have mentioned ANY sort of improvement or replacement of the sprites, it seems very safe to say that there has been no improvement of any form to the character sprites.

What can be overlooked in a port... cannot necessarily be overlooked in a new game. Personally, I find this very disappointing.

I can understand not wanting to re-do all of the sprites in the game. That would be... extremely time-consuming. But sprites for all of the PCs? That seems to be far more on the "necessary" side of the spectrum than the "superfluous" side.

Comments

• ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
    edited July 2015
    Hahaha. Yeah I prefer the original style too. Also I like the level of detail which still leaves something to the imagination of every player individually.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    edited July 2015
    To my knowledge, the last time Beamdog made any kind of comment on this ('cause I sure remember asking) was prior to the release of BG1EE.

Since then, they have released 3 Enhanced Edition ports on both PC and mobile platforms. I don't think the "we don't have the resources" excuse really flies any more. While BG2EE and IWDEE may not have been hugely successful, BGEE certainly was.

I would also point out that assuming higher resolution sprites would somehow evolve into some new art style is a pretty ludicrous fallacy. A higher resolution sprite is just that. The old filtered sprites? They look fine against the old, filtered backgrounds. But against the new, high resolution backgrounds? Not so much.

There's a similar problem with somehow assuming that having artists do work on something somehow prevents writers, programmers, etc., from working on other things.

And that kind of... lack of polish is fine for a port. Expectations are a completely different ballpark. But this isn't a port any more, it's a new game, and I think our standards should be higher.

Especially since (presumably) Beamdog will be creating new sprites regardless for the new class. Unless they just re-use the sprites from an existing class... but that would be super lazy.

@CMK24: I can kind of tell what you mean. If they did touch up on the sprites, fantastic. The current filtered sprites look just... abysmal. But it's really too hard to tell from that video. And Beamdog's insistence on only ever distributing screenshots from the absolute maximum zoom level certainly doesn't help matters.

@Permidion_Stark: That's a completely valid point... for the ports. There's no danger of this not being BG any more because it's not BG any more. It's a new game. And, in case you didn't notice, every single Infinity Engine game introduced new sprites.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    DLC. Hire a team to recreate all the sprites, release them in DLC packs. Those that want them can purchase them, those that don't can skip it.

Or crowdfund it, if you're worried that demand won't meet costs. But at these resolutions the sprites are just a blurry mess basically, and nostalgia only goes so far.

I play the games despite the graphics, because the games are awesome, but I would dearly like some better looking sprites to go with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    It wouldn't exactly be a walk in the park to create new sprites. When you say "hasn't bothered to" I don't know how fair it is to the devs when you consider the money it takes to hire the old voice actors and create an entirely new game. Bringing animators would almost be a mistake monetarily, especially if it doesn't sell very well. I do think it would be cool to have new animations, but not in a game running the Infinity Engine, and especially in a brand new game. The reason they haven't bothered is because it would be a risky business move.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

To my knowledge, the last time Beamdog made any kind of comment on this ('cause I sure remember asking) was prior to the release of BG1EE.

"To your knowledge" being the key words here. Last time I saw Beamdog mention this was last week. It's in the big thread somewhere.
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197

Since then, they have released 3 Enhanced Edition ports on both PC and mobile platforms. I don't think the "we don't have the resources" excuse really flies any more. While BG2EE and IWDEE may not have been hugely successful, BGEE certainly was.

Dude, take a breath. This angry, long-suffering-and-frustrated tone is just the worst. The fact is that the people who've bought the Infinity EE games *like* the old sprites. I haven't taken a poll on it or anything (billbisco? hello?), but I'm fairly certain the majority are just happy with the in-game sprites as they are.

After years of ironing out the kinks in the engine and resurrecting some of our favorite computer games ever, I'd just as soon see Beamdog devote their time, energy and resources to producing quality gameplay rather than "fix" a thing that ain't broke.
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197

*-) Yeah... the more I think about it, I doubt they'll do it. They'll probably only release two more IE games: BG1-BG2 expansion and possibly BG2-ToB expansion. After that? Moving onto an entirely new engine for a dandy 5E game. Maybe also an EE of Planescape, but they'd be stupid to do anything to a revered game like that except port it.

I tend to agree; but I don't think they'll do it in that case, since GoG has a playable Torment port already. Their next port might be NWN:EE then, maybe?
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    decado said:

There was a recent post which linked to the exact amount of work needed to do this - however I can't find it.

In short it is a monumental undertaking considering all of the individual sprite iterations that would need to be reproduced.

If I'm not mistaken it was @Jalily who link it
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    edited July 2015
    Jalily said:

kaguana said:

decado said:

There was a recent post which linked to the exact amount of work needed to do this - however I can't find it.

In short it is a monumental undertaking considering all of the individual sprite iterations that would need to be reproduced.

Yes, here's the post by @Troodon80.
    Wow, that does sound like a ton of work. How about replacing 2D sprites and inserting real 3D models (like in Pillars of Eternity) into the Infinty Engine then? Is it possible? Is it cheaper?

• cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Aramintai said:

Jalily said:

kaguana said:

decado said:

Wow, that does sound like a ton of work. How about replacing 2D sprites and inserting real 3D models (like in Pillars of Eternity) into the Infinty Engine then? Is it possible? Is it cheaper?

I don't think the IE can handle full 3D models directly. If they went that direction they would have to recreate every sprite in 3D (with every armor and weapon combo), animate all the actions that are needed for the game, and re-render those actions as new higher resolution sprites. They would also have to take great care to make sure these new assets look like/have the same art style as the originals. To me (someone with limited knowledge of 3D modeling and animation) this sounds like it would be at least as much work (if not more) than touching up the existing sprites.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited July 2015
    I did have some faint hope that they might end up redoing sarevoks bg 1 sprite at some point. Eventhough he just reappears in the ToB portion of the saga.

As for general sprites I enjoy the basic ones we have already.
    Aramintai said:

Jalily said:

kaguana said:

decado said:

Then it woudn't run on an iPad.
    Fardragon said:

Aramintai said:

Jalily said:

kaguana said:

decado said:

What? There are lots of games on iPad with 3D models, heck, there are lots of games there made completely in 3D.
    Aramintai said:

Fardragon said:

Aramintai said:

Jalily said:

kaguana said:

decado said:

What? There are lots of games on iPad with 3D models, heck, there are lots of games there made completely in 3D.
    And lots of games that won't and can't run too, such as Pillars of Eternity...
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361

Dude, take a breath. This angry, long-suffering-and-frustrated tone is just the worst. The fact is that the people who've bought the Infinity EE games *like* the old sprites. I haven't taken a poll on it or anything (billbisco? hello?), but I'm fairly certain the majority are just happy with the in-game sprites as they are.

After years of ironing out the kinks in the engine and resurrecting some of our favorite computer games ever, I'd just as soon see Beamdog devote their time, energy and resources to producing quality gameplay rather than "fix" a thing that ain't broke.
    His tone is fine. We should have enhanced sprites. There should be a kickstarter or something if it's financially questionable.
    billbisco said:

His tone is fine. We should have enhanced sprites. There should be a kickstarter or something if it's financially questionable.

Beamdog has already stated that they can't use crowd funding due to contractual reasons (i.e. one of the IP holders for Baldur's Gate won't allow it). The only way I can see new sprites happening is through a fan made mod (none exist AFAIK, although I have not looked very hard). If I had the time and the talent I would try my hand at it.
    edited July 2015
    Troodon80 said:

Jalily said:

kaguana said:

I actually created a basic table back then as a way to calculate some of the details, but stopped short of posting it. I figured the post was long enough, and implicit in its details.

[spoiler]
    Average framesRacesMale/femaleWeaponDirectionsArmour sets/Unique class spritesAnimation typesSubtotalEstimated number of creature spritesTotal

Note:
    • Monk animations are an addition of Avg. frames * Male/female * Weapon * Directions * Animation types. They don't wear armour, and only humans can be monks. They are not included in the main table due to being an exceptional case.
    • I am keeping the number of unique creature sprites deliberately low for the reason stated below.
    • The total number does not include required adjustments to actual equipment sprites; i.e. weapons, helmets, and shields.
    Races
    • Human
    • Elf
    • Gnome/dwarf
    • Halfling
    Weapon
    • Stabbing
    • Overhead
    • Slashing
    • Two-handed
    • Bow
    • Crossbow
    Directions
    • North
    • North-east
    • East
    • South-east
    • South
    • South-west
    • West
    • North-west
    Armour sets/Unique class sprites
    • Fighter: unarmoured, leather, chain, plate
    • Mage: unarmoured, robe, robe and cloak, hooded robe and cloak
    • Thief: unarmoured (hood), leather (hood), chain (hood)
      • Note: Thieves won't wear plate, so they take a separate row for Armour sets/Unique class sprites
    Animation types
    • Idle
    • Ready
    • Injured
    • Unconscious/sleep
    • Wake
    • Death
    • Conjure
    • Casting
    Estimates number of creatures
    Total from here will be:
    X = (estimated sprites * average frames * direction * animation types * average two attack types) + subtotal
    Note: (animation types * average two attack types) will not apply to all animations, and in some cases other animations will have more. For example, large creatures such as dragons have multiple sections made up of frames, so take both as an average in lieu of there not being a set specific number. As far as I am aware, most neutral wildlife don't even have attack animations. In the case of the deer, I'm not even sure it has a walking anything.[/spoiler]
    I wonder how BioWare (just 60 people team back then according to Wiki) managed to do them all in just a couple of years back in the day.
    So how about switching sprites to 3D animated models? Is it feasible or same level of complicated?

Btw, have any of you guys seen FFVI with remade graphics on iOS? That's the way to do it.

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

I wonder how BioWare (just 60 people team back then according to Wiki) managed to do them all in just a couple of years back in the day.
    So how about switching sprites to 3D animated models? Is it feasible or same level of complicated?

Btw, have any of you guys seen FFVI with remade graphics on iOS? That's the way to do it.

Baldur Gate's sprite were originally 3D models.

Aramintai said:

Is Beamdog's team more than 60 people right now? Isn't it closer to ~half of that? BioWare likely had a small team of people (2-5) whose only job was to make the sprites. Also I think BioWare had a larger budget to work with in comparison to Beamdog.
    deltago said:

Baldur Gate's sprite were originally 3D models.

Which means what? It's possible to make new high-res 3D models and then port them into the game?