Skip to content

Safe to assume Beamdog hasn't bothered to create new sprites?

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Mornmagor said:

I get the enthusiasm with a new game and all, but it's getting old seeing the same old IE graphically after 17 years.

For me, it got to a point where it's getting tiring. This is the 4th "EE" game in IE.

Heretic!
    Death to the disbeliever!
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    The best part of the IE is that it has aged pretty well.
    Sure it is obviously aged and not up-to-date, but compare it with the 3D games that came after.
    I'm currently playing around with NWN1 (when I get bored at BG1 =P) and sheesh, it looks worse than the
    much older BG. I think the 2D models just stop aging after a while :D
    But 3D? that stuff can look bad (depending on style) 3-4 years after it came out!
    The second good point about the IE is.. it runs on nearly everything. Even people who have left the
    computer-gaming scene and just have office computers or older models can enjoy the game with no
    drawbacks. So yeah, I hope they keep using either the infinity engine or another similiar engine,
    because these games are enjoyable in 2D, stay enjoyable for decades and can be played by everyone
    who has a computer, regardless of the graphic card.

• DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    Fingers Crossed Half Orcs are finally done a long overdue justice and given a worthy in game model instead of just recycling the human model.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Mornmagor said:

I get the enthusiasm with a new game and all, but it's getting old seeing the same old IE graphically after 17 years.

For me, it got to a point where it's getting tiring. This is the 4th "EE" game in IE.

I had the same feeling when i saw the 20th game visually reminiscing of World of Warcraft. Even though, I never played WoW, but all of a sudden every 'rpg' looked to me like WoW. Before that, there was a brief era of crappy tile based 3d, which looked pretty ugly, uglier than hand-painted isometric. Anyway, by now, every graphic/gameplay style is likely similar to a previous one. Pick the ones you like and don't play those you dislike.
    I personally have a very wide range of liked rpg's. Starting from games like Shadows of Mordor (barely an rpg), through Skyrim/Witcher, through DA:I (didn't like previous DA games too much though), then Pillars (though it felt a bit like early NWN games), all the way to the EE games.
  • rorikonrorikon Member Posts: 105
    I may be jumping to conclusions, but is it possible they've done something with the goblin sprites? The existing graphics have an extremely limited weapon selection, which might nerf M’Khiin Grubdoubler a bit, and possibly the whole shaman class along with her. At the moment they only have animations for using bows and axe + shield as far as I'm aware, which would mean M’Khiin couldn't even use the staff/club in her portrait picture!

Would they be able to redraw some extra weapons or something, like replace a swinging axe with a swinging dagger/club? Fixing one creature animation might be doable whereas every playable race / class might not be. Didn't a developer say they'd done some monster animation tweaks?
  • belascobelasco Member Posts: 18
    rorikon said:

I may be jumping to conclusions, but is it possible they've done something with the goblin sprites?

This is what I've been wondering/hoping as well. Would be fantastic if they built in the resources to be able to mod in the goblin race with full weapon and armor selection for at least a few classes.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited August 2015
    I don't personally see any reason to go through that much effort and expense. It's fine the way it is. The point was to update these classics so they would run on a modern system and add little bit of spice to each one, not totally redesign them so they'd be unrecognizable. Frankly I would like them less if they did that...

Besides, their contract was extremely limiting anyway.
    deltago said:

They just painted a gnome green and went with it.

Ahahaha hahah ahh that made me laugh far more then it should have. "NO ONE will notice it's a gnome, Shut up and make it green!"
    Post edited by CaloNord on
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    CaloNord said:

Ahahaha hahah ahh that made me laugh far more then it should have. "NO ONE will notice it's a gnome, Shut up and make it green!"

Andrew would love it, I'm sure :)
  • rorikonrorikon Member Posts: 105
    Perhaps I should clarify, I'm not suggesting they should spend a huge amount of extra time at this stage of development adding a full weapon and armor set to the goblin class, I'm wondering if they've already edited the goblin sprite to add in a couple of extra weapons (kinda like how the already EE included 1pp mod worked), since otherwise M’Khiin would have an utterly ridiculous equipment selection, and I can't think how else they could have gotten around that.

Usually I don't mind the existing graphics. I'd LIKE new ones, sure, but I accept there would be far too much work involved to make it viable at this stage. It's the kinda thing that would have had to have been done when they started development of BG1:EE anyway, if they were going to do it.

Any other ideas for how M’Khiin Grubdoubler would work with only two or three weapons? Does the goblin sprite have more options than I'm remembering? As I've said I don't think she can even use the weapon in her portrait picture otherwise! :)
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited August 2015
    Ardanis said:

CaloNord said:

Andrew would love it, I'm sure :)
    @Anduin might not like it if his Gnome is hijacked and turned into a Goblin stand-in. . . . :D
    Angry mummies are not pleasant. . . :P
    rorikon said:

Any other ideas for how M’Khiin Grubdoubler would work with only two or three weapons? Does the goblin sprite have more options than I'm remembering? As I've said I don't think she can even use the weapon in her portrait picture otherwise! :)

Just having a little tinker around they do indeed only seem to have the bow and axe/shield variant with either the brown regular armour or a bluish black elite one. I'd say they'd have a work around for that I would think, if they are going to use one as a main character one would expect it to have working animations and weapons and armour that her class can use having an animation. As well as having an inventory model for the Goblins and various character sheet entries.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Why not a female halfling sprite? Or a female dwarf sprite? Why must it be a female gnome sprite, anyways?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Nimran said:

Why not a female halfling sprite? Or a female dwarf sprite? Why must it be a female gnome sprite, anyways?

I was only kidding.

However, if it was too much pain in the ass, it would be a suitable short cut imo, however, others may get thier pantalettes in a knot over it.

The leaked screenshot had a regular goblin animation though, unarmed, which would also be suitable, but once again knotted pantalettes for others.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Nimran said:

Actually, gnomes and dwarves use the same sprites. :smile:
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited August 2015

Nimran said:

Yeh, I already knew that. I was kidding as well. :wink:
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited August 2015
    If it wasn't 2d and IE i wouldn't be here playing them.

There is this holy secret that have been forgotten in the last decade, you could call it the 'holy grail' of computer gaming. Most people only whisper about it in the shadows, rarely mentioned in public, it is dangerous to do so, you see. But today i will share this small piece of information, and take the public shame and laugh that comes with it.

Story, Gameplay, Imagination -> Graphic.

People need to stop complaining about the graphic. To gain something you have to give something in return, to sacrifice something. And what do you think games sacrifice for awesome graphics? Story, Gameplay and a way for the player to use his/her imagination.
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    Does that mean you wouldn't play a BG3 if it uses D&D5 and IE? @SionIV
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Nimran said:

Nimran said:

Yeh, I already knew that. I was kidding as well. :wink:
    At least they won't use the original female gnome wizard sprite for the goblin shaman (i.e, WIZARD_DWARF_MALE). Then she'd have a beard! :smile:
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited August 2015
    Arcanis said:

I might be able to live with the D&D5 if it's in IE and they keep the isometric view. But to be honest I have a feeling that BG3 will only be a Baldur's Gate by name, and most people will get disappointed. I don't want them to make Baldur's Gate 3 mainstream, and I'm afraid that is going to happen, because people don't play games like Baldur's Gate today, people can't stomach a difficult or challenging game. What is most likely going to happen is we'll get Baldur's Gate lite with better graphics and more voice acting.

After IWD:EE i do have more faith in Beamdog and i think they have done a great job. But they are not going to be able to make Baldur's Gate 3 even close to the original, no one can do that, not the way people make games today. I just hope that if they do make Baldur's Gate 3, they won't go down with it. Not trying to be negative towards beamdog, love you guys to bits for giving me IWD:EE, but I just wouldn't trust anyone with Baldur's Gate 3. They should instead focus on making their own game, in their own world. I'll be first in line to hand over my money to them if they start on their own franchise.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Arcanis said:

Hell, I'd play it, and 5E annoys me for not allowing you to pick feats until 4th level or later. Feats and other choice-intensive forms of character progression are one of my favorite aspects of post-3E D&D. I think it speaks to the quality of the old Baldur's Gate games that I still go back to them despite the lack of choices in your progression offered by later editions.

I'd live with a 5E isometric D&D game quite easily, even though I'd prefer a 4E or Pathfinder one. But, when it comes to pen and paper shenanigans, I likely wouldn't play a 5E game unless the rest of my friends were really into it.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Nimran said:

Yes... But the raw power of gnomes overrides all sensibilities. So a green gnome pretending to be a goblin will make an appearance... hmm...

I doubt this... It would look like a gnome zombie and cause confusion.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    deltago said:

They just painted a gnome green and went with it.

Nope, but this is a good idea :)
  • iamcelestialiamcelestial Member Posts: 19
    Honestly, I thought that the new areas from the EE (especially the first wild forest where Neera is waiting for you at night!) were VERY beautiful!

I agree that the sprites look quite ugly, but I think that the background more than offsets it.

If Beamdog did the areas in SoD using the same/similar techniques as for the new areas in BG2:EE, then I am sure we will have more than enough eye candy.

• chilvencechilvence Member Posts: 50
    I've just finally got around to starting Pillars of Eternity, and I find it amazing how well the 3d model avatars blend in with the 2d background. Even on my 1080p TV, where you can zoom in close enough to start seeing the pixels from the background, the fact that the characters remain crisp and pretty makes such a massive difference to the overall visual quality that now I can only pine for the Baldur's Gate series to get the same treatment.

Really, I was glad when the Enhanced Editions came out, I am not someone that hated them, but I did not buy them because I have already bought so many copies of these games over the years and played them all to death, all modded up, kitted up etc, that EE really had very little to offer me - zooming, coloured pc circles, a couple of new areas... not enough to make me go "Wow, I have to buy all these games again for the fifth time"

But I don't care what anyone here says about Graphics being more important than Gameplay. The gameplay of this series is already spot on, top notch, it never needed to be changed and probably never will. But the art has not aged well in certain ways. If they can improve it, then they should, and if they did create a bunch of 3d models based on the classic old school 2nd edition monster manual, but in lovely high definition, then I would literally punch fistfuls of money into my computer screen in order to obtain them.

That is the killer feature that would convince me to buy, without it, I just look at it and think 'meh, I already get pretty much the same thing after installing all the mods'. I'm shallow, I want shiny new graphics, and I am god damn proud to admit it, and I am sure thousands of other people would be all over the Enhanced Editions like flies on shit if Beamdog did this, because that would pretty much but the visuals in the same league as PoE. That would be giving this fantastic series an Enhancement to really be proud of, not just fiddling with the interface and calling it done. `
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited September 2015
    You're not shallow for wanting new graphics on something from 2000 that you played 1000 times over, and people enhance and sell today.

It's just that, it's out of their budget at this point still.

Which makes me nervous though, about what will they do about their budget when they need to make something from the ground up.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    I hope go to kickstarter.
    There is a lot of D&D people waiting for that next great D&D game we have not got since IE games. ToEE and NWN 1 and 2 were decent but not great. I will not even mention other tries at D&D in that time including that terrible product coming out this year.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    CaloNord said:

I don't personally see any reason to go through that much effort and expense. It's fine the way it is. The point was to update these classics so they would run on a modern system and add little bit of spice to each one, not totally redesign them so they'd be unrecognizable. Frankly I would like them less if they did that...

I agree. The BG and IWD series and Torment offer a huge variety of sprites that is probably on par with a Monster Manual.

Personally, I don't mind if they use old sprites with a different colour for variations of monsters. For instance, I liked the half-goblin warriors in IWD II who were in fact 'just' green coloured dwarves with halberds.