Skip to content

New D&D Movie Announced, Forgotten Realms Mentioned

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Calmar said:

I don't see the point of making a *D&D* movie. Shouldn't they focus on the histories, events and characters that were *created* to be experienced *using* the D&D rules?
    I mean, it is one thing to say "We want to depict the adventures of Drizzt, or the Greyhawk Wars, or a turning point in the history of Sigil" and quite another to take just a brand and attach some movie to it. That way it probably doesn't matter if its Dungeons and Dragons or Battleship...

You make a very good point here. However, I'd speculate that they aren't so much making a "D&D movie" as attempting to make a 'Fantasy Swords and Sorcery movie' in the Forgotten Realms and attempting to add to the audience by trading on the franchise and CALLING it a D&D movie.
    I hope so.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    To be fair, there is an awful lot of cheese out there masquerading as Sword and Sorcery movies. We're talking straight up Cheddar, Bleu, Monterey Jack American cheese. ;)

Witness the Actual "The Sword and the Sorcerer", or "Hawk the Slayer" (which I love, don't get me wrong- but it's so cheesy you could stick it between two slices of buttered bread, stick it on a frying pan and serve it with tomato soup- Jack Palance being one of main sources of Cheese here). The problem is making a GOOD Sword and Sorcery movie, and not have it turned out burdened with cheese, overdone, or have actors who chew the scenery and leave toothmarks behind.

You want a serious movie- but not to the point of parody. No comedic relief characters, especially not in the party. Humor is good, but mix it up with the characters.

See, I actually liked the 2nd D&D movie, "Wrath of the Dragon God" has come closest to the perfect D&D-type movie for me. But I realize I am not the only person who has an opinion. I'd love to see something like a movie based on the "Baldur's Gate" game. Serious, but with some humor. Personally, I'd love to see how they did some of the characters. I don't know if any flesh and blood actor could live up to Minsc, though. :)
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    @LadyRhian Wrath of the Dragon God was actually a really good film, but sadly, it suffered from the reputation of its predecessor. As a result, it was made with a lower budget, and went straight to video. If the first D&D film had been WotDG, it'd have been a lot better, and probably would have gone down better with the D&D fans.

Instead, they went for a lame cliched Hollywood style romantic underdog-hero Gary Stu tale.

I also liked the Book of Vile Darkness, despite the silly cliched love interest (because all films must have one, apparently - it is impossible for a reasonably attractive female character to exist in a film and not fall in love with at least one male character, it seems!)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    LadyRhian said:

The problem is making a GOOD Sword and Sorcery movie, and not have it turned out burdened with cheese, overdone, or have actors who chew the scenery and leave toothmarks behind.

You want a serious movie- but not to the point of parody. No comedic relief characters, especially not in the party. Humor is good, but mix it up with the characters.

I rather suspect that the true problem is finding the right people behind the project. In today's world, (unfortunately) quite a lot of the genre as a whole isn't taken seriously. If 'The money' behind the project isn't serious about it, they will often try and slant it towards more of a parody by throwing in 'The comic relief' and the cheesy special effects, and the tropes galore. Either that or they decide that the 'Target market' is YA audience and so they 'Dumb it down' such that "the kiddies" can enjoy it (I'm looking at you George Lucas).

The more they see it this way the more they try to put a lipstick on a pig (as they see it). This invariably leads to the whole project going REALLY south. I more or less suspect that the original D&D movie fell rampantly prey to this.

On the bright side, with Lord of the Rings having been so popular (less so The Hobbit) and with shows like Game of Thrones being hits, there are actually more people out there taking it less as a joke and more as a serious endeavor. Throw in how massively popular things like Avengers is and there's less of a desire to "Target the teenage market" and more an understanding that people of all ages might want to see it (and not have their intelligence insulted).
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I think there are a lot more people taking the genre seriously now than there where when the first D&D movie was made.
    Fardragon said:

I think there are a lot more people taking the genre seriously now than there where when the first D&D movie was made.

Yep. Look at LOTR and GOT.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Fast & Furious: Quickling Rampage
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I remember a time my wild mage had a wild surge when trying to fireball a quickling... Wild surge target falls in love with caster... do not ask further details :)
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    mlnevese said:

I remember a time my wild mage had a wild surge when trying to fireball a quickling... Wild surge target falls in love with caster... do not ask further details :)

"Ye think ye've faced true evil son? Stared into the eyes of the darkness and dared it to look back? Well, ye've not faced the worst 'til ye've had a quickling hump yer leg, boy."
    kcwise said:

mlnevese said:

"Ye think ye've faced true evil son? Stared into the eyes of the darkness and dared it to look back? Well, ye've not faced the worst 'til ye've had a quickling hump yer leg, boy."
    Don't make me remember... fortunately the second fireball centered on me didn't surge :)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I wouldn't mind if they choose not to make a movie like LotR or similar to GoT and instead choose a little more 'cartoonish' visuals, like 300 and/or Spartacus (first season, not the others). I love the way 300 mixes in the cartoonish feeling while still not being an actual cartoon. I think it would fit the theme well and be more unique than just another medieval cliché with shiny armor and loads and loads of leather everywhere. Sure, it could be argued that it would copying that movie, but it's still a less common way of doing it. They could add a narrator and so the more stylish visuals could be explained by colorful descriptions of the narrator and the vivid imagination when interpreted by his/her audience.

Whatever they do though, I really hope the pour in enough money to make the output good. Good intentions alone can't make a good movie, no matter the dedication.
    Skatan said:

I wouldn't mind if they choose not to make a movie like LotR or similar to GoT and instead choose a little more 'cartoonish' visuals, like 300 and/or Spartacus (first season, not the others). I love the way 300 mixes in the cartoonish feeling while still not being an actual cartoon. I think it would fit the theme well and be more unique than just another medieval cliché with shiny armor and loads and loads of leather everywhere. Sure, it could be argued that it would copying that movie, but it's still a less common way of doing it. They could add a narrator and so the more stylish visuals could be explained by colorful descriptions of the narrator and the vivid imagination when interpreted by his/her audience.

Whatever they do though, I really hope the pour in enough money to make the output good. Good intentions alone can't make a good movie, no matter the dedication.

300 is cartoonish because is based on a graphic novel made by the infamous Frank Miller, who likes to paint arabs as always chaotic evil.
    But back on topic, if Vin Diesel is involved it raises my hope a little. He's a D&D player after all...
    edited October 2015

300 is cartoonish because is based on a graphic novel made by the infamous Frank Miller, who likes to paint arabs as always chaotic evil.

Not that it has anything to do with the visuals in that movie nor why I would like to have more movies made in that way; they are persians, not arabs.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    They are technically Persian, yes, but I don't think Miller is aware there is a difference between them and Arabs, or between any middle-eastern groups.
    It still has nothing to do with the visuals in those movies, so why is Frank Miller's knowledge about persians even under discusson? It's not like we are discussion using the visual techniques of Leni Riefenstahl here.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    The main problem with Miller has always been, if you're old enough to read his work, you are probably too old to enjoy it.
    By all accounts the man is looks to be bit of a douche and Alan Moore did once call him a fascist. I find most of his work to be mediocre at best in graphic novel form and mindblowingly awesome in film form. I even liked that spirit movie, based on whatshisnames comic, that all my comic book friends called the worst thing to ever happen to comics everrr! Apparently none of them have ever seen the League of extraordinary gentleman.
    I here what you're saying @SmilingSword, but I still don't see why there's a discussion regarding Frank Miller himself when I was only refering to the visuals/graphics used in a movie based on onw of his graphic novels.

Lets get back to topic, myself included.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @Skatan - I presume that the reason the discussion surrounding Frank Miller's vision of comics and the visual of a movie BASED ON Frank Miller's comic is because the directors and producers were attempting to replicate the look and feel of the comic in the movie.

For me personally, I am not as huge a fan of the cartoonish look. I admit that it worked well in 300, but I think that can be taken too far, and that is what often enough happens to be wary of it in my book.

Anyone here ever seen a movie called 'The 13th Warrior'? I really liked the look and feel of that movie and could really see that as a template for any Forgotten realms movie, particularly one that took place in Icewind Dale.
    @the_spyder - I've seen it and though I'm not a huge fan of the story, I can really see what you mean. The bleak, almost dystopic visuals of that movie coupled with a bit of fantasty elements could work very well for an IWD setting.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    mlnevese said:

At least it would be over... quickly. ;)
    Personally, I think the new D&D movie should be set in this world: ;)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=830535027028650&set=gm.10153865954757468&type=3&pnref=story

Seriously though...personally, I'd rather see a setting that more closely resembles medieval Europe than fantasy has done previously - you know, the usual "Dark Ages but with 15th century technology (that's also cheap as chips) while everybody else is shovelling dirt (for some reason)" style fantasy. I don't think there should be any shining armour, apart from on knights, paladins, noblemen, etc. I get a bit tired of the old (and totally unrealistic) fantasy trope where every soldier in the City of Protagonists has plate armour, because that stuff is bloody expensive! I want to see padded jacks, and maybe mail for the richer characters, with only the very richest wearing plate (and that's only if it's a relatively late-medieval/renaissance style setting, because plate armour doesn't exist in early medieval periods).

I also don't want to see everybody covered in crap all the time...doesn't anybody ever wash in those worlds??
    I wan't to see some of the more crazy stuff of D&D lore, like one of the elemental or outer planes.
    Squire said:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=830535027028650&set=gm.10153865954757468&type=3&pnref=story

Seriously though...personally, I'd rather see a setting that more closely resembles medieval Europe than fantasy has done previously - you know, the usual "Dark Ages but with 15th century technology (that's also cheap as chips) while everybody else is shovelling dirt (for some reason)" style fantasy. I don't think there should be any shining armour, apart from on knights, paladins, noblemen, etc. I get a bit tired of the old (and totally unrealistic) fantasy trope where every soldier in the City of Protagonists has plate armour, because that stuff is bloody expensive! I want to see padded jacks, and maybe mail for the richer characters, with only the very richest wearing plate (and that's only if it's a relatively late-medieval/renaissance style setting, because plate armour doesn't exist in early medieval periods).

I also don't want to see everybody covered in crap all the time...doesn't anybody ever wash in those worlds??

What does Clichèa has to do with Stirling?
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2015
    Squire said:

Seriously though...personally, I'd rather see a setting that more closely resembles medieval Europe than fantasy has done previously

Game of Thrones pretty closely resembles medieval Europe. Plus there are enough of TV shows set in actual medieval Europe that it feels like a very familiar setting.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Game of Thrones... Very loosely resembles medieval Europe. The show even less than the books. While it's not high fantasy by any means, it's not exactly true to realism either. I don't think the Westeros is even feudal to any particular extent.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Squire said:

Seriously though...personally, I'd rather see a setting that more closely resembles medieval Europe than fantasy has done previously

Actually that is the part that's closely based on middle ages Europe. Jews and Muslims both had ritual washing in their religions. A Christian who kept himself too clean could attract some unwanted attention from the Inquisition.
    Yeah, Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire does. That's why I like it, and part of why it's so popular (the other part being Peter Dinklage ;) ). But in RPGs, it's rarely the case.

In fact, I'd say Westeros very closely resembles Britain, even down to the big wall keeping out the wildlings (the Scottish ;) ). GRRM was heavily inspired by the Wars of the Roses, as this video shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjO55pKuBo4

But this is slightly OT...needless to say, I prefer settings with low magic, and where the heroes are ordinary people who do amazing things, rather than "chosen one" types with special powers and so superior to everyone else that one wonders why he isn't basically Emperor of the whole world yet.